This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
    I just don't have the same excitement as I once did when SGA and even when SG-1 was airing or between seasons.
    It's odd but even though I enjoyed watching it while it was on I'm not missing it while it's not on. If it was cancelled the only thing I'd care about is what would happen to the GW site and the forums.;
    sigpic

Comment

you must be talking about EW.
      Among other things. When SGA first aired it was most likely compared to SG1 in terms of numbers and quality for that matter. I guess it doesn't bother me. Things are compared to make an analysis and since SGA and SGU are part of the same franchise they are the easiest to compare too.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
        It's odd but even though I enjoyed watching it while it was on I'm not missing it while it's not on. If it was cancelled the only thing I'd care about is what would happen to the GW site and the forums.;
        Well it would suck if the show was cancelled after say only 2 seasons. It is still entertaining enough to give me my Stargate fix.
        sigpic

Comment

It's interesting you bring up the mid-season ep "The Storm". Over the weekend I watched that ep and "The Eye" and then rewatched "Justice". So have to agree that SGA was more powerful, dramaric and had a far more entertaining for my taste. Even the last scene of "The Storm" I think was more emotional than the last scene in "Justice"

I guess BW and RCC are not trying to top SG-1 and/or SGA. Because I don't think they could ever top some of those epic eps SG-1 and SGA produced over 15 Seasons. I think that is why the producers stress different and not better or bigger.

I am fine with the series for the most part, I would like more action, more alien encounters, more exploration, and less use of the stones. But overall the show is entertaining to me and I am liking a lot of the characters. Not as much as the past Stargate characters but they still have plenty of time to warm up to me. lol.

Yeah, I think it didn't take long for us to like the Atlantis characters....and that ending was phenomenal... My friends and family who are sci fi maniacs looked at that episode of Atlantis and gave it...more of try as a result.

They turn the channel on SGU.

But you'll never get what you want out of SGU...
          I don't think. That's a different show...
          You really want SGA back.

You should get those lemons out again.

Comment

I just don't have the same excitement as I once did when SGA and even when SG-1 was airing or between seasons.

They are spinning the ratings so much, it is sickening.
            [music flashback] I'm so dizzy my head is spinning...[/music flashback] round and round it goes and where it stops no one knows.... they must love a roulette wheel.....

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
            Easy now. You're usually one of the optimistic voices I like to read that help me feel a bit more positive about a show when it's getting a bit iffy for me.
            There's really nothing to get excited about at this point beyond how Rush will get back on the ship. I'm hoping alien abduction and probing. I'm certainly not interested in how Young and his wifey and Telford resolve their situation or in Scott and his kid. I'm actually hoping they never get rescued. Far more interesting that way, I think.
            Spinning the ratings? How so? The near 50% increace in DVR viewers?
            PAINFUL probing too! ok not a rush fan...actually don't like any of the characters except for Greer...

Comment

Well it would suck if the show was cancelled after say only 2 seasons. It is still entertaining enough to give me my Stargate fix.
              I agree it would suck if it was cancelled. It just doesn't really capture my imagination.
              sigpic

Comment

I agree it would suck if it was cancelled. It just doesn't really capture my imagination.
                Strange as this is, i do agree with you both, i think a show needs about 2-3 seasons to really find itself and become an investment with the viewers to the point where they come back even if it turns sucky.

That being said, the first season must have something that zing that juts makes people WANT to watch it over and over again. SGA really hit the nail with its first season, then we all know what happened. I'm almost hoping SGU goes the other way around, that it goes from a show that supposedly is taking place halfwalk across the universe yet has more Earth Scenes and drama in half a season than SGA in totality, A show that really doesn't give any really likeable characters who yo uaren't interested in more than just a cursory "WTF is their problem? (Beyond Eli and TJ i'd say on a per)

Someone above said it. I didn't even noticed that i'd missed it when it was Sunday and one of my friends asks me if i'd seen it
                Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

There hasn't been much that's captured my imagination so far, sadly. The ship banking off a gas giant and dipping into a sun certainly did, but the majority of SGU seems to be making the fantastic [trapped on a ship on the other side of the universe, body-swapping] feel mundane. Maybe that's how it would feel after being in Stargate-like situations for a while? You can only see the kawoosh and step through onto another planet [be beamed, fed on, taken as a host, died, ascended, etc.] so many times before it gets old and just becomes 'the job that I do/hate'. Sounds a bit like Young there.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I like it the way it is, and I am enjoying it for what it is, and I am looking forward to the second half. totally without being spoiled for it.
                    no means no, and so does pepper spray
                    Sig by The Carpenter
                    sigpic

Comment

If it was cancelled the only thing I'd care about is what would happen to the GW site and the forums.;
                      That's really sweet! Sci-fi is a very convivial experience with sites like GW. For that reason alone, I hope the show improves and stays on the air for a long while. But also? I want the show to get better so that I'll enjoy it more!

Comment

SGA s5 certainly had some... sigh, some bad episodes [Tracker, Brain Storm, Infection, Identity] but it was hardly horrid to me. Teyla did a fine job as a mother, Woolsey getting into the leadership role was well done, Ronon... Ronon wore a wig.

SGU has a certain 'Vegas' feel to me: different camera techniques, darker characters, a soundtrack...
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

SGA s5 certainly had some... sigh, some bad episodes [Tracker, Brain Storm, Infection, Identity] but it was hardly horrid to me. Teyla did a fine job as a mother, Woolsey getting into the leadership role was well done, Ronon... Ronon wore a wig.

SGU has a certain 'Vegas' feel to me: different camera techniques, darker characters, a soundtrack...
                          It took SGA about 3 years to get one of those "I will never watch that again" kinda eps. It took SGU under 3 Months.

As per Season 5 it was a great season with a lot of potential and set up for a Season 6, but alas here we are in season one of SGU.

Was it worth cancelling SGA for SGU? I don't know, yet. I'll tell ya after the entire first season is done of SGU, since I am expecting a more Stargate like show in the 2nd half, things can really step up.

SGU should be, no wait, it must be more entertaining than SGA for it to be a worthy replacement to me that is. So far, even though I am enjoying it, it is not raising the bar for the franchise or exceeding my expectations. Episodes like "Life" make the show fall short for me.

People compare this show to BSG. Well BSG was far more exciting and entertaining in it's first season. Drama is great and I love it, but you need action and some sort of adventure to really keep people interested in this type of show. Sure if this was "Days of our Lives" then it would be a different fanbase and would not matter. But this show is not a daytime soap opera.
                          sigpic

Comment

Of course it's not a daytime soap. Nighttime soaps in general have a far higher production cost than daytime soaps.
                            I'm sure we'll get more action to temper the nighttime 'drama' in the 2nd half.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

There hasn't been much that's captured my imagination so far, sadly. The ship banking off a gas giant and dipping into a sun certainly did, but the majority of SGU seems to be making the fantastic [trapped on a ship on the other side of the universe, body-swapping] feel mundane. Maybe that's how it would feel after being in Stargate-like situations for a while? You can only see the kawoosh and step through onto another planet [be beamed, fed on, taken as a host, died, ascended, etc.] so many times before it gets old and just becomes 'the job that I do/hate'. Sounds a bit like Young there.
                              going through the stargate on SG1 and SGA never seemed "mundane" to me! that was what they did right, which sgu still hasn't quite figured out....

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                                going through the stargate on SG1 and SGA never seemed "mundane" to me! that was what they did right, which sgu still hasn't quite figured out....
                                What made SGA so great in Season 1 was the total cutoff from Earth. I think the stones are just a poor plot device that truly makes the show lose focus on the story at hand, which is survival and exploration on the Destiny and nearby planets.

What I loved about SGA and SG-1 you did not know what they were going to encounter on the other end of the Stargate. I mean look at "The Fifth Race" I did not read spoilers, GW was not even around. How amazing was that discovery?

We did have some interesting discoveries like the chair room on the Destiny, and some of the planets. But nothing has been like wow.
                                Last edited by Briangate78; 30 December 2009, 06:19 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X