This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
    The soap parts as you call them, were in season one to give us background on the characters, so when we have that, it only makes sense that they will focus on the Destiny and adventures with it. I'm glad we have background stories, because it helps to understand the way the characters react and why they react a certain way in different situations.
    I would have liked to get to know the characters through how they interact and what they do aboard the Destiny, much like 'Justice'. The only 'soap' moments involve the stones and, Ancients help me, they're what is dragging the show down for me. Make them lose juice for half a season or something. Enough of Earth. This is about the universe.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      I certainly hope not.

No sense in going backwards.
      Yet that's what precedent shows us. Look at teh early seasons of SG1 and SGA, then look at the later seasons. What happened? The same as what many of us expect to happen to SGU. Falling back on old tried and true ways. The only difference is that SGU is SOOO different from SG1 and SGA, then it might actually work in their favor by bringin gback the "action" fans while retaining the majority of the "Drama" fans.

That's the show i want to watch.. but i'll admit even then, the characters don't inspire me whatsoever (except TJ,
      Me lubs TJ

And JUST for MattSilver and Jelgate!

Spoiler:
      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by natyanayaki View Post
        I don't disagree that aspects of the show need to be modified, but I don't agree that the ways you mentioned are necessarily the way to change and improve the show. Keep the angst, and the drama, have action only when necessary for the characters' plots. Stargate needed to be updated to survive. Things they should change, (IMO) focus on the Destiny, focus more on Destiny-based drama, than Earth-based drama. Spread focus over all 9 main characters, rather than focusing on 5 characters in nearly every episode, and choosing among the other 4 to explore in every few episodes. Show us more of the inventory, about the survival, show us Destiny people bonding with each other (like the Park/Greer Kinosode, would have fit perfectly in the episode). The Destiny crew doesn't have to like each other, but I would like to see more of them with each other. There are ways to improve the shortcoming of the series without bringing back SG1/SGA elements, that could make the series seem to be, well redundant.
        I always say the best sci-fi is the B5/DS9 type. You get to know the characters [who most certainly don't have to like each other or be nice] and their respective worlds intimately, and there's an even distribution of character-driven action and plot-driven action. The big space battle in episode 10 being precipitated by the minor battle in ep 5 and the character/plot interactions of the previous 9 episodes: that's what I like. I'm a space battle guy, but I can't just have one come out of nowhere and really enjoy it. Well, I'll enjoy it, but not as much as I would have if the last half season of arc was leading up to it. Even without the sfx blowouts, just seeing characters interact in a decidedly sci-fi scenario is always a pleasure.
        Having said that... Sci-fi is one thing. You have the canvas of the entire universe and we're getting a reality tv show about people who don't like each other stuck in the same house for an extended period, the stargate, suicide and random other events being ways to vote them off. I do want more action, though not necessarily big fights. Young and Rush arguing over the chair was great: sci-fi scenario bringing out their characters. The stones and body-swapping whatever is also character in a sci-fi scenario, but it's like watching a reality tv show where they send one person into a booth to talk on the phone to their long distance bf/gf. Enough with it, already.
        And yes, I hate reality tv.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
          Yet that's what precedent shows us. Look at teh early seasons of SG1 and SGA, then look at the later seasons. What happened? The same as what many of us expect to happen to SGU. Falling back on old tried and true ways.
          Yeah, I know.

That's why I don't want it, like I said.

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
          All the best technology humans have found in SG has been, ahem, ancient. Sometimes, it's a good thing to go back. Just because it's what came before doesn't mean there isn't some [or much] good in it. Reinventing the wheel when the wheel was working fine before but could have used a few tweaks is a bit drastic.
          I disagree it was working fine before. That kind of storytelling is past its prime for me.

The only difference is that SGU is SOOO different from SG1 and SGA, then it might actually work in their favor by bringin gback the "action" fans while retaining the majority of the "Drama" fans.
          Or it'll anger both, since the "action" fans will still have to deal with the drama while the "drama" fans like what they see right here, right now.

Nah, TPTB has chosen their path. I'd rather they stick with it.

Comment

However they rework it, SOMEONE is going to be unhappy... those of us who want less drama/angst vs those who like it as it is. I admit I am interested to see if they will actually improve it or simply tweak it here and there. I want to like sgu... maybe I will in season 2.

girlbot-- the soap parts didn't work for me. I wanted to get to know and care about the characters BEFORE i was inundated with their sleezey angsty backgrounds!

Comment

Originally posted by FromOutside View Post
              Green him/her for me
              And me.

But I still have to add: it's not that or what we now have, and it doesn't make my disappointment go away. Avoiding what described above were my wishes for more mature writing. I was kind of hoping to see how they measure and/or calculate their water levels, count their food, try to make hydroponics work and so on. Now they fall back to Stargate weaknesses, but do not reach same amusement levels than earlier shows. There is aliens stealing water and having themselves kicked out of Stargate, hydroponics guy being threatened by soldier, jokes for not showering, talks about bad food, red potato (or whatever it was) etc. I think the basic weaknesses are still there, just a bit more subtle than earlier.

Instead of fighting with English speaking aliens or stopping for a new plant of the week, it might be all about politics, resources, military strength (not some no1 team), terms with others civilizations, negotiations... Obviously SGU setting isn't the right one for that kind of plot, but (obviously, too) the drama with traditional SG weaknesses surely was not only opinion, and (imho) far from the best ones.
              Did you miss the complaints about SGA that went, 'I wish they'd explore the city more; I want more team-based episodes'? The complaints are the same no matter which version of Stargate it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                girlbot-- the soap parts didn't work for me. I wanted to get to know and care about the characters BEFORE i was inundated with their sleezey angsty backgrounds!
                I understand what you mean, but imagine not ever knowing Scott, and then coming across him for the first time by opening the supply closet. That's your first impression. Interesting impression.
                I just find that the way each was introduced was a certain manner of first impressions that will in time color our view of each of the characters.
                then the flssh backs and back stories fill in the blanks and perhaps change or reinforce those first impressions.
                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                Sig by The Carpenter
                sigpic

Comment

We could have done without the flashbacks and Earth time, and seen their characters develop through interaction. Imagine how Wray would have reacted to someone dropping some anti-gay comment. Or maybe she would have just shut up. There's show, then there's tell.
                  Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  I disagree it was working fine before. That kind of storytelling is past its prime for me.
                  I really enjoyed SGA s1 where it was just them on Atlantis cut off from Earth entirely. And in terms of what kind of storytelling is 'in' today... In terms of ratings, that would seem to be Ghost Hunters Intl.
                  Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                  However they rework it, SOMEONE is going to be unhappy... those of us who want less drama/angst vs those who like it as it is. I admit I am interested to see if they will actually improve it or simply tweak it here and there. I want to like sgu... maybe I will in season 2.
                  Less sleaze, more time on the ship. I do want them to go up against an alien species, obviously, but saving that for the season finale is more than worth the wait. I just hope the 2nd half of the season works up to that.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                    I won't refute the whole thing, because I'd swear to my keyboard that I've seen the entire post before. It starts out like, "Oh, I watched SG-1 and Atlantis", then continues on, "And SGU is disappointing/not what I had hoped/not impressed". It definitely uses the word "whine" and maybe "soap opera" if the poster is feeling up to it. There's *****ing about the fact the characters aren't best friends yet. Chloe and Scott are almost always brought up as a negative factor, even if not named directly. The stones are poo-poohed on. Always makes a witty remark about BSG or Days Of Our Lives. Mentions of writers "dropping the ball" or something similar. Disbelief that SGU is a third SG-1 or SGA. Denial that SGU is part of the Stargate universe now.

Oh, and it'll end with "This is my opinion" blegh, as if they know that posts refuting their entirely original outings will be written...
                    Like was mentioned, this was my first post here. I spent just 5 minutes reading the preceding replies, and this is my first time ever posting on a Stargate fan forum. I googled this place and registered because I wanted to have a rant about SGU's failings, so my criticisms were already formed before I got here. From my perspective what I posted is original.

Added to which, the fact that my comments were apparently a clone of those made by many others gives credence to, rather than detracts, from the widespread negative response to certain elements of the show.

Comment

The soap parts as you call them, were in season one to give us background on the characters, so when we have that, it only makes sense that they will focus on the Destiny and adventures with it. I'm glad we have background stories, because it helps to understand the way the characters react and why they react a certain way in different situations.
                      As with the previous post I made, clearly those complaining about soap elements completely missed all the lovelorn crap in SG-1.

I understand what you mean, but imagine not ever knowing Scott, and then coming across him for the first time by opening the supply closet. That's your first impression. Interesting impression.
                      I just find that the way each was introduced was a certain manner of first impressions that will in time color our view of each of the characters.
                      then the flssh backs and back stories fill in the blanks and perhaps change or reinforce those first impressions.
                      Interesting point. Given Rush was rather nice in his first couple of scenes, what was your first impression?

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                        As with the previous post I made, clearly those complaining about soap elements completely missed all the lovelorn crap in SG-1.
                        Interesting point. Given Rush was rather nice in his first couple of scenes, what was your first impression?
                        Those SG-1 'lovelorn' moments weren't compressed into the span of 10 episodes.
                        We haven't had a single flashback or Earth scene yet featuring Rush or Greer and we know their personalities quite well [or we think we do].
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

No, worse, they were stuck in a late season where it was then OOC.

We haven't had a single flashback or Earth scene yet featuring Rush or Greer and we know their personalities quite well [or we think we do].
                          Does it matter where we learn about them?

Comment

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Agreed, and Green for you!
                            Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                            Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                            Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Yeah it does, at least for me. I tuned in to watch the Destiny crew, life aboard the Destiny. I understand having elements of Earth to a degree, but IMO it has been over-used so far. That's one thing I hope is changed.

Comment

No, worse, they were stuck in a late season where it was then OOC.
                                I had no problem with the 'lovelorn' stuff in SG-1. [What does OOC mean? Sorry.] I prefer 'lovelorn' to 'humping in broom closets' and 'humping my wife in my not-friend's body'.
                                I used Rush and Greer to show that, as I believe, the Earth-based episodes and flashbacks aren't necessary to explore and let us get to 'know' characters.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X