This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
    What made SGA so great in Season 1 was the total cutoff from Earth. I think the stones are just a poor plot device that truly makes the show lose focus on the story at hand, which is survival and exploration on the Destiny and nearby planets.

What I loved about SGA and SG-1 you did not know what they were going to encounter on the other end of the Stargate. I mean look at "The Fifth Race" I did not read spoilers, GW was not even around. How amazing was that discovery?

We did have some interesting discoveries like the chair room on the Destiny, and some of the planets. But nothing has been like wow.
    I loved the cut-off from earth ans really hated ships traveling back and forth and that midway gate (although they destroyed that wonderfully!)- I wanted isolation. seems we can't even have that with sgu. the stones are a too convenient way to contact earth (and had to the soapish feel). let me know if you find the "wow" in sgu....

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
      I loved the cut-off from earth ans really hated ships traveling back and forth and that midway gate (although they destroyed that wonderfully!)- I wanted isolation. seems we can't even have that with sgu. the stones are a too convenient way to contact earth (and had to the soapish feel). let me know if you find the "wow" in sgu....
      If only tptb took a look at Disney and nickelodeon and how they deal with body swapping things might a lot better...they actually look into the morals of it and not just the melodrama.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
        If only tptb took a look at Disney and nickelodeon and how they deal with body swapping things might a lot better...they actually look into the morals of it and not just the melodrama.
        Who says they aren't looking at the morals of using the stones?
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Augh, dreadfully late as usual, but here I go.

Originally posted by Briangate78
          This is off topic, but any 24 fans out there? Supposed to be an intense season, since it's the last one.
          Yep, and I'm completely psyched for it... eight seasons now and I still love a show that has one, just one character tied to its core, who knew? Which actually spins us right back on topic, ironically.

It's been less than a month since we got our last episode of Universe. And the strangest thing is... I don't care any more. If the show were to be canceled right now, I'd probably sulk a week, write one or two posts here on GW, and then just slip back into lurker mode. Do I find the show intriguing? Sure! There's a reason I've read every post on this thread, the episode threads, and countless others (options stuck firmly at 100 posts a page). But it's missing something. The PTB told us they wanted to create a real, dark, character-driven plot. But instead I find (if I may be blunt) superficial, plot-driven characters. The characters feel like they'll do anything at any time, just because the writers want to have something 'new'. And the plots are just the same--they're going well out of their way just so they can spark 'controversy'. There is nothing that makes me jump for joy or watch the episodes over and over again (excluding Time & Air, III), in fact the only reason I have is because I like to be able to stand on my own should my views be challenged (haha ).

But compare that to a show like 24. Let's face it, without Jack Bauer the show would have been dead long ago. Secondary characters such as Chloe, Nina, Tony, etc., are well written characters who are who they are, period. Jack Bauer is real. He's got a background without having to force it in every two minutes. He has feelings without having to broadcast them. He simply is. Or take the show Doctor Who. I just started watching it three weeks ago, and I'm already intently curious about all things TARDIS. So what is Universe missing?

Here's what it needs, all in my humble opinion of course (I've even got a disclaimer to prove it! ...ah, wasn't it nice when you could post an opinion without having to say it's your opinion? ). The writers--check that, make the producers, directors, all of the Powers that Be, need to stop focusing on making it new. They need to just let Universe be, well... Universe. It's okay to have elements of 'the old stargate'. It's okay to be new. But what's not okay is being different just for the sake of being different. If they really want Universe to take off, they need to stop creating this new thing, this trend if you will... and just write a story.

DISCLAIMER: All thoughts, opinions, and theories made in the following post are precisely that: thoughts, opinions, and theories. Carter1994 does not, in any way, assume to represent the majority of fan opinion, nor attempt to speak for anyone but herself unless otherwise specified. No offense or disrespect is intended towards any fan, writer, producer, director, actor, character, etc. These are all merely opinions of one (hopefully) thought-provoking fan.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Who says they aren't looking at the morals of using the stones?
            Melodrama and the conflicts resulting out of it is not questioning the morals of it. Some would say Telford was raped...all we get is him playing around with Youngs wife. That's it, that's all the moral questioning that has been done the rest is left up to the viewers to wonder and debate.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

I also loved First Strike, Adrift, and Lifeline, the 3 part Season 3 finale and Season 4 premiere. They were pretty much cut off from Earth.

Well if you count Camille and Sharon making out as a wow, I would disagree. I live right outside of NYC. So I don't need to go far for that. I am used to it and have no issues with it.

@Carter1994, I think there is a 24 thread in the other section. Hopefully we can discuss the show there in a few weeks.
              sigpic

Comment

Melodrama and the conflicts resulting out of it is not questioning the morals of it. Some would say Telford was raped...all we get is him playing around with Youngs wife. That's it, that's all the moral questioning that has been done the rest is left up to the viewers to wonder and debate.
                Never said they were but letting morally questioning actions proceed over time making the moral questioning have a larger impact when the time comes if it is eventually addressed. Take the Rush-Young scenario. What both did in Justice was morally questionable. The raising of that issue to the Destiny crew will have a larger impact if its given a longer secretive time frame.
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Ahh moral questions. Folks would say SGA had no moral issues. The entire series was one moral issue upon another. I loved it, and it's why I really like SGU. Like
                  Spoiler:
                  Young leaving Rush behind.
                  Talk about moral decisions there. Love it!!
                  Last edited by Skydiver; 02 January 2010, 07:52 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I also loved First Strike, Adrift, and Lifeline, the 3 part Season 3 finale and Season 4 premiere. They were pretty much cut off from Earth.

Well if you count Camille and Sharon making out as a wow, I would disagree. I live right outside of NYC. So I don't need to go far for that. I am used to it and have no issues with it.

@Carter1994, I think there is a 24 thread in the other section. Hopefully we can discuss the show there in a few weeks.
                    I meant a "wow moment"...the moment when the show transcends ok and becomes WOW! sheeesh--- not woman-on-woman, ssheeeesh! but when the show gives us stuff like found in rising, first strike, adrift, you know. I always wanted the city to be really "lost" after they left the planet... cut off from earth again!

@Carter1994---I loved your line
                    If they really want Universe to take off, they need to stop creating this new thing, this trend if you will... and just write a story
                    would only change it to "write a good story"...

Comment

I meant a "wow moment"...the moment when the show transcends ok and becomes WOW!
                      Justice spoilers
                      Spoiler:
                      Young leaving Rush behind was pretty close, but I had a feeling he was going to, when they began fighting.
                      Last edited by Skydiver; 02 January 2010, 07:52 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Never said they were but letting morally questioning actions proceed over time making the moral questioning have a larger impact when the time comes if it is eventually addressed. Take the Rush-Young scenario. What both did in Justice was morally questionable. The raising of that issue to the Destiny crew will have a larger impact if its given a longer secretive time frame.
                        That scenario does not involve body swapping. I am speaking only about the stones.
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

That scenario does not involve body swapping. I am speaking only about the stones.
                          The kind of moral issues is irrelevent. Just because moral implications aren't addressed in the episode the implications don't mean they won't. Especially when you factor in SGU is serialized.
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

The kind of moral issues is irrelevent. Just because moral implications aren't addressed in the episode the implications don't mean they won't. Especially when you factor in SGU is serialized.
                            And that brings me back to my original problem...too much melodrama all packed in the first half of SGU.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

And that brings me back to my original problem...too much melodrama all packed in the first half of SGU.
                              But in a way that is good, because the characters have been introduced very well, along with their flaws and personalities. Some have even had their backgrounds shown, not every character, but that should come later.

If the 2nd half is filled with more drama and Soap Opera-ish moments like in Earth and Life, and there is no action or adventure, then I think the show will be in real trouble. Bold Statement, but I strongly believe it.
                              sigpic

Comment

But in a way that is good, because the characters have been introduced very well, along with their flaws and personalities. Some have even had their backgrounds shown, not every character, but that should come later.

If the 2nd half is filled with more drama and Soap Opera-ish moments like in Earth and Life, and there is no action or adventure, then I think the show will be in real trouble. Bold Statement, but I strongly believe it.
                                But we have only seen flaws.
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X