X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes it has a gate so yes it will be stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
      Ummm... Vladius... you seem to have grasped the wrong end of the stick.

While it's meaning and use have changed over the years, Political Correctness is, these days, a derogatory term used by the extreme right to describe behaviour whereby people make all efforts not to be offensive to or exclusive of minorities or oppressed peoples.
      No, it isn't. Please explain your definition of "extreme right."

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
        I'm just confused as to where TPTB even intimated the SGU was going to be a sex filled romp, with swearing, excessive flashbacks and being politically correct, violent and gritty etc...

I wanna read what Dee has been reading.

As for SGU not being fun, I don't know where that was said either... darker doesn't necessarily equate to lack of fun - after all there is a whole genre of comedy out there that refers to 'darker' aspects of humanity... it's called 'black comedy'.
        Yeah...I'd like to know what Dee is reading and where its coming from. I noticed she (?) made the post and then disappeared.

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
        I'll have a bit of hawtness sauce on mine please.In SGU? Actually, there is. I think you have SGU confused with that recurring nightmare you've been experiencing lately...
        Yes, I agree! I think its some horrid dream she's been having!

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        ZOMG! Stargalactica Voyager 90210 Code 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111eleventyone!!!!!

Looks evry1 at my rly funy link to the 200 teengate clip! zomg rnt i funny!?!

And so on.
        Lawdy! Please don't do that again! I gave me a headache!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
          Yes, it is.

Oxford dictionary: the avoidance of terms or behaviour considered to be discriminatory or offensive to certain groups of people.

According to just about any source out there, the phrase has been co-opted by the reactionary right (neocons et al) as a derogatory term. e.g. (from wikipedia): In the 1990s, the US Right used the term political correctness as a straw man in challenging the legal validity of leftist social change — especially about legal equality in matters of societal race relations, religion (Church–State separation), and gender.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
            Yes it is Vladius... for some reason you seem to think Politically Correct exists to thumb it's nose at you - or at certain beliefs.

It has NOTHING to do with Christianity, Western notions... and these days - as Lahela pointed, it's often used as a derogatory term used against people who actually are tolerant of different races, religions, creeds, beliefs and sexualities.

These notions have nothing to do with violence or sex on television and to suggest it is so with a very skewed definition of the terminology just doesn't ring true.

And to bring this back onto topic - about whether or not this will be Stargate to you - meaning the viewer... I see nothing that TPTB are doing, as I have heard, that is in direct opposition in to what Stargate always was.

I am just glad that we may see more of a Social Consciousness in not only the characters, but in the potential of having a more character development, and therefore interaction. It'd be nice to see a real community thriving and surviving... or maybe that's what I am hoping for.

Keep hope alive!
            Last edited by Deevil; 06 July 2009, 06:43 AM.
            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Can we get back on topic now?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                Can we get back on topic now?
                Gladly

SGU will still be Stargate to me because Stargate is about people going through a stargate and encountering alien races/landscapes/situations and having to deal with them. I don't think that just because the starting point is on the Destiny rather than the SGC or Atlantis the show will be so radically different as to not be Stargate any more.
                sigpic

Comment

Gladly

I don't think that just because the starting point is on the Destiny rather than the SGC or Atlantis

Do you think that this will be the only (or most major change) from the other shows?
                  BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                    Do you think that this will be the only (or most major change) from the other shows?
                    It really depends... they say they want it more character driven, which basically means instead of having events happen to the characters - the characters will drive the events. That'd be a very new change, but a welcome one. It was something that really disappointed me in Atlantis, because right up till the end, they were still pretty isolated, which lent itself to some great character studies.

But, it's good that there are going to be differences between the series. I am not tuning in to see rebadged SG1, and I couldn't imagine that to be enjoyable anyway.
                    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

But, it's good that there are going to be differences between the series. I am not tuning in to see rebadged SG1, and I couldn't imagine that to be enjoyable anyway.
                      I agree, it just seems like the original quote was trivializing the differences in this new show. It seems like the person implied this will be basically SG1 with a ship holding the Stargate instead of Cheyenne mountain. However, to me, the ship as the 'starting point' will be the least of the differences.

Yet like i've said before It is still Stargate to me, whether it sucks or if its great, no denying.
                      BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Gladly

SGU will still be Stargate to me because Stargate is about people going through a stargate and encountering alien races/landscapes/situations and having to deal with them. I don't think that just because the starting point is on the Destiny rather than the SGC or Atlantis the show will be so radically different as to not be Stargate any more.
                        Thanks! :-) And I agree with you...I don't think than SGU will be any less "stargate" just because the starting point is the Destiny.

I really don't know...lets hope not since this would be a very minor change.

It really depends... they say they want it more character driven, which basically means instead of having events happen to the characters - the characters will drive the events. That'd be a very new change, but a welcome one. It was something that really disappointed me in Atlantis, because right up till the end, they were still pretty isolated, which lent itself to some great character studies.

I agree...I think if the new series is more character driven it will be a nice change. I'm not dogging SG1 or SGA, but it would be a nice change.

I agree, it just seems like the original quote was trivializing the differences in this new show. It seems like the person implied this will be basically SG1 with a ship holding the Stargate instead of Cheyenne mountain. However, to me, the ship as the 'starting point' will be the least of the differences.

Yet like i've said before It is still Stargate to me, whether it sucks or if its great, no denying.
                        Yes, I see how the orginial quote seems to be trivializing the differences between the shows. And I also agree with the point of origin being the Destiny is the difference that concerns me the least. I think the changes we've been reading about will make the new show a little more edgy. At least I hope so!
                        sigpic

Comment

Apologies - I certainly didn't mean to sound like I was trivialising anything.

I do think, though, that having the starting point on a ship locked on a course and timetable beyond the control of the earth folk is actually a very significant difference because there won't be any comfort zone to return to at the end of the day. Even when they step back through the gate there will be conflict and problems beyond their control/understanding etc, which is something we rarely saw in SG1 and not often enough in SGA (IMO). And, of course, having the crew trapped aboard the ship will mean a whole different dynamic between characters, which I'm looking forward to very much.

So yeah, still Stargate, but not Stargate that we've seen before
                          sigpic

Comment

Apologies - I certainly didn't mean to sound like I was trivialising anything.
                            No apology necessary

I do think, though, that having the starting point on a ship locked on a course and timetable beyond the control of the earth folk is actually a very significant difference because there won't be any comfort zone to return to at the end of the day. Even when they step back through the gate there will be conflict and problems beyond their control/understanding etc, which is something we rarely saw in SG1 and not often enough in SGA (IMO). And, of course, having the crew trapped aboard the ship will mean a whole different dynamic between characters, which I'm looking forward to very much.

So yeah, still Stargate, but not Stargate that we've seen before
                            very true. I hope it's done well.
                            BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Comment

Yes, it is.

Oxford dictionary: the avoidance of terms or behaviour considered to be discriminatory or offensive to certain groups of people.

According to just about any source out there, the phrase has been co-opted by the reactionary right (neocons et al) as a derogatory term. e.g. (from wikipedia): In the 1990s, the US Right used the term political correctness as a straw man in challenging the legal validity of leftist social change — especially about legal equality in matters of societal race relations, religion (Church–State separation), and gender.
                              Your definition was greatly expanded from the one in the dictionary. You added in jargon about "oppressed peoples" and the "extreme right."

How is it a strawman? Political Correctness a subjective term in the first place.

Ah, Wikipedia, the source of all truth, light, and wisdom. It is infallible and very unbiased.

"Legal equality" is entirely another matter.

To be clear, I am no "Neocon," which is one of the left's favorite pet words for any Republican they disagree with. (Who were Democrats to begin with.)

I apologize for derailing the thread.

Comment

Yes it is Vladius... for some reason you seem to think Politically Correct exists to thumb it's nose at you - or at certain beliefs.

It has NOTHING to do with Christianity, Western notions... and these days - as Lahela pointed, it's often used as a derogatory term used against people who actually are tolerant of different races, religions, creeds, beliefs and sexualities.

These notions have nothing to do with violence or sex on television and to suggest it is so with a very skewed definition of the terminology just doesn't ring true.

And to bring this back onto topic - about whether or not this will be Stargate to you - meaning the viewer... I see nothing that TPTB are doing, as I have heard, that is in direct opposition in to what Stargate always was.

I am just glad that we may see more of a Social Consciousness in not only the characters, but in the potential of having a more character development, and therefore interaction. It'd be nice to see a real community thriving and surviving... or maybe that's what I am hoping for.

Keep hope alive!
                                Your definition is more skewed than mine.

"...used as a derogatory term used against people who actually are tolerant of different races, religions, creeds, beliefs and sexualities."

ACTUAL TOLERANCE. Wow. Not like my phony tolerance.

Does tolerance mean censorship, interference, unfair promotion, and economic meddling?

The same mindset that pervades Political Correctness dictates that we must be "tolerant" of people who like to have sex more than the rest of us, and so display it proudly on television.

Comment

Working...
                                X