This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
    Of course it will be Stargate to me. There is no possible way that it WON'T be stargate. Whether I enjoy it or not remains to be seen. Either way, it's still Stargate, and will still be Stargate 'to me'.
    So we're all in agreement that Stargate Infinity was also Stargate.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      So we're all in agreement that Stargate Infinity was also Stargate.
      I thought we all agreed that Stargate Infinity never happened. It was just a bad dream Coronach created when he was drunk one night.

I think was Bytor was making since Bridge created SGU its canon making it technically Stargate regardless if SGU has the elements that define what we consider Stargate or not
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        I thought we all agreed that Stargate Infinity never happened. It was just a bad dream Coronach created when he was drunk one night.

I think was Bytor was making since Bridge created SGU its canon making it technically Stargate regardless if SGU has the elements that define what we consider Stargate or not
        ROFL!

It's a fair point, but then it depends how you define it. I made a post during the early days of SGU's announcement asking what Stargate's identity was - and I think this is a valid point. If the blockbuster Godzilla movie can be regarded as 'Godzilla in Name Only', can't Stargate?

I personally am looking VERY forward to SGU, but we will all of course have our own schema of what constitutes 'Stargate' - for me, that's twinning military forces with the fantastical, with a heavy dosage of Earth culture and mythology. For others Stargate seems to be synonymous with humour. Now say SGU didn't have any military involvement what so ever, then to me - it wouldn't be Stargate at all.

I use the movie was my definition of what constitutes Stargateishness, and I personally think that any series still needs to have recognisable roots in the movie to be considered Stargatish.

Of course, a spin off need not share much at all with its parent series, look at The Lone Gunmen, no paranormal stories what so ever, but it drew on the conspiracy element of The X-Files and took it in its own direction. The difference; we weren't watching 'The X-Files: Lone Gunmen' - it was just 'The Lone Gunmen'.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

ROFL!

It's a fair point, but then it depends how you define it. I made a post during the early days of SGU's announcement asking what Stargate's identity was - and I think this is a valid point. If the blockbuster Godzilla movie can be regarded as 'Godzilla in Name Only', can't Stargate?

I personally am looking VERY forward to SGU, but we will all of course have our own schema of what constitutes 'Stargate' - for me, that's twinning military forces with the fantastical, with a heavy dosage of Earth culture and mythology. For others Stargate seems to be synonymous with humour. Now say SGU didn't have any military involvement what so ever, then to me - it wouldn't be Stargate at all.

I use the movie was my definition of what constitutes Stargateishness, and I personally think that any series still needs to have recognisable roots in the movie to be considered Stargatish.

Of course, a spin off need not share much at all with its parent series, look at The Lone Gunmen, no paranormal stories what so ever, but it drew on the conspiracy element of The X-Files and took it in its own direction. The difference; we weren't watching 'The X-Files: Lone Gunmen' - it was just 'The Lone Gunmen'.
          I couldn't agree more. Stargate has so many themes just having one will make it Stargate alone. So on that merit alone someone will say it is Stargate while others won't. I look to the movie as well and the early SG1 seasons to define Stargate. And to me Stargate is about exploration. Not just exploring planets but exploring who the Tauri are as a people.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
            A common thread I've seen in a lot of my discussions about SGU have to do with whether or not it will still be considered "Stargate".

Some have said that they are interested in the many changes TPTB are promising to make with SGU. They look forward to the greater focus on character moments, and are interested in more realistic and, at times, darker storylines.

While others have expressed dismay at these changes. For them, Stargate was fine the way it was, and they aren't looking forward to any of the changes. They preferred the episodic format (what some call the "reset button"), and feel SGU won't be lighthearted enough.

Still others fall somewhere in the middle, saying that they like the new direction but are hoping it still retains certain qualities.

What are your opinions and thoughts on this? What is "Stargate" to you? As a supplementary question, does this affect your desire to even watch SGU?
            This is all because of the stargate why wouldn't it be stargate to me im looking forward to it

Comment

Originally posted by matta View Post
              If it has the word "stargate" in it then ill watch it.
              Ditto, unless it also has the word "infinity" in it.
              Bring on SGU
              Indeed!
              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by oniel193 View Post
                This is all because of the stargate why wouldn't it be stargate to me im looking forward to it
                Either you missed my point, or a Stargate is all the qualifies something as Stargate for you. I hope not though...because then several things can be considered Stargate. Ever heard of EVE?
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
                  It can happen...

In a way, political correctness dictates that there must be sex, swearing and violence to trash the people who don't like them.
                  What the hell?

Your definition of Politically Correct does not resemble ANY definition that I have known to exist. Mind you, by that logic Boa vs Python and The Evil Dead are some of the MOST politically correct movies ever made.
                  Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Spin-off Series allowed for us to experience new discoveries, unfound race and more complexes. it seems such a big pleasure to me. but this thread for making series are just incohesive. Despite they made 9-chevron things, i seriously doubt if they just took a measure to isolate stargate format. the important thing is not technology or spaceships. SG-1 and SGA teams always contact human not a bunch of alien from another planet. I know whole virtue and evil stories seem boring. Nevertheless, the humanity define "Stargate" not "Survival". of course, I surely watch SGU series. whatever happened im biggest fan.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      Huh. So SGU is sex and swearing filled, and it's violent and gritty...

...and it's Politically Correct?

LOL.
                      Originally posted by SpyDude View Post
                      You know, I may actually like it more if it isn't the Stargate we have known all these years. Stargate SG-1 was great from start to finish (even though the story was pretty much finished after season 8 already), but Atlantis outright failed in my opinion. The writers just could not take any risks (relationships between various characters & major story arcs).

I'm not saying it should be like BSG, but something more along the lines of Farscape. I want more game-changing story arcs and character development and actual adult relationships.
                      i agree some points since sg-1, there are some episodes refer to relationship between carter and oneil. at that time the writers described in odd ways. maybe they think it may jeopardize military career. later, carter hook up a civilian(i cant remember the name) but this relationship also proceed to absurd ways. Maybe BSG soap opera relationship model can be modified to stargate. but justify violence for survival must excludes in any circumstances.
                      thats why I dislike BSG. Its too political. politics just compromise humour we have been enjoyed.

Comment

It depends how politics is handled, if the show raises political questions then it'll be all the better for it in my opinion, if on the other hand it starts shoving political rhetoric down your throat like BSG did then it may be a problem...

Comment

ROFL!

I think in this case, SGU will be more like Torchwood is to Dr. Who than The Lone Gunmen is to The X-Files.
                          Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                          Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                            What the hell?

Your definition of Politically Correct does not resemble ANY definition that I have known to exist. Mind you, by that logic Boa vs Python and The Evil Dead are some of the MOST politically correct movies ever made.
                            You would be right, except that Political Correctness is really a misnomer in that it holds that anything restrictive, Western, and/or Christian is horrible.

I will agree that violence has more of a problem with this on Television, but only in comparison to sex on Television, which usually reflects 60s-esque "values" of "liberation" and "escape."

Comment

You would be right, except that Political Correctness is really a misnomer in that it holds that anything restrictive, Western, and/or Christian is horrible.

I will agree that violence has more of a problem with this on Television, but only in comparison to sex on Television, which usually reflects 60s-esque "values" of "liberation" and "escape."
                              Um...what?
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

Ummm... Vladius... you seem to have grasped the wrong end of the stick.

While it's meaning and use have changed over the years, Political Correctness is, these days, a derogatory term used by the extreme right to describe behaviour whereby people make all efforts not to be offensive to or exclusive of minorities or oppressed peoples.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X