Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I saw the original Stargate movie I didn't like it. Despite this fact I watched SG1 from the first episode and loved it. I judged that show on its own merits. I will watch SGU and judge it on its own merits without comparing it to the previous two series.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis Rocks View Post
      No this wont be Stargate for me, as I really don’t like the darker elements at all, an I have zero interest in watching the pilot. I don’t like what I have read so far, don’t like some of cast, not interested in the buzz words "darker, grittier etc...

I liked SGA in the format that it is, yes different is can be good, but you have to want a change for it to be good IMHO, an I was quite happy with the way it was, so no SGU doesn’t look like the type of Stargate I have come to love, an am just not interested. The concept an trailers etc.. have to grab you, so say "watch me, check me out etc.." an for me they don’t.

We've all different an see and want different things from shows, and at the end of the day it will always just come down to what you like or don’t like, regardless of whether its got Stargate in the title or who wrote it etc.. I was not and am not a fan of "the franchise" as such but just a fan of a particular show.
      My sentiments exactly...

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
      Thats the thing about comfort zones. You often spend too much time in one place without challenging yourself and before you know it, the chance has gone and will never return.

In relation to the Stargate franchise they realised that SGA may have pumped out another year or 2 and then what?? A good solid 7 season run but the franchise dies, perhaps with a movie tying all the loose ends together.

This way, TPTB are tearing people like you out of your comfort zone with the hope of riding a still successful franchise and steering it into a future that wouldn't be possible without a new direction.

A lot of people don't like being out of their comfort zone, but you can never reach your full potential unless you do.
      Is has nothing to do with comfort zones for me... it's simply about what attracts me and what doesn't..... and nothing attracts me about SGU.... none of the characters appeal in any way and I have to be drawn to the characters to like the show... otherwise I don't care what they go through..

It's not just about a title and being told it's part of the franchise.... its about the premise, the characters and the overall feel of the show.... the character have no appeal and I never felt like that about ANY of the characters from the previous Stargate incarnations.. I knew RDA already and instantly liked the other characters.. I know Robert Carlyle very well but as an actor he just doesn't interest me and never has... I was drawn to the SGA cast and liked everything I heard about the show before it even started.

I was a fan of SG1 and mainly SGA because I liked both shows and was drawn to the characters instantly ... I have no interest in following a franchise just because it has the name Stargate in it... the name is incidental....
      sigpic

Comment

The first thing that I liked about Stargate was the humor and big explosions. Some good character development here and there, and some doom and gloom once in a while. I'll give SGU a chance. Darker and grittier can be good, but ya need a good laugh now and then.
        "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

At its very core either Stargate has been about exploration. Maybe SGU will put emphasis on the personal explorations then SG1 or SGA due to being character. But as long as we are still exploring planets and what make the character act the way they do its still Stargate for me
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Will SG:U be 'Stargate'?

Its a fair question...........here's my recipe for Stargate:

1.3 Cups of Stargate(because you can't have Stargate with out it, y'know.)

2.4 Cups of Humor/Comdey(think of Jack O'neill and Daniel Jackson together, that's all need to say)

3.1 Cup of Technology(Stargate is scifi, so yea)

4.2 to 3 Teaspoons of Character Development(SG-1 and SG:A had enough of it to satisfy me, but some people like a little bit more, it depends on your ''sweat tooth'')

5.1 to 2 Cups of Military Action(you dont' want to much, but you don't want not enought)

6.1/2 of Cup to 1 Full Cup of 'darkness'(not talking lights either, SG:A had maybe a little less than a 1/2 Cup)

7.1 pinch of Relationships(y'don't want to much then it turns into a soap opera which I hate, have like enough of what Jack/Sam had or John/Teyla had, don't do what they did with Mckay/Keller at least not in the beginning maybe later, but not so early)

8.2 cups of Mythology(you can't have Stargate without it)

9.1 Cup of Aliens(think, jaffa, wraith, goa'uld, but make them more strange and different

10.1 Cup of the Ancients(stargate is about them and their legacy)

Mix untill well blended, no clumpy but smooth and whippy-like. Let it sit for a hour, then serve to everybody who are scifi fans.
            R.I.P. you will be missed

My Top Five Favorite Quotes/Quips(right now)
            Spoiler:
            "Well, it's like my grandma used to say, if at first you don't succeed..."
            "Try a larger thermonuclear reaction?"
            "Her words exactly."

"We are beacons on the road to enlightenment."
            "No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you."
            "Nice work on the metaphor."
            "Thank you."

"Will you excuse me? We just don't get out of Cheyenne Mountain enough. I'm gonna grab some air... outside. General, Captain, General... waiter."

"General."
            "Colonel. We've all met."
            "Yes, actually we know each other's life stories."
            "That snippiness?"
            "Is that a word?"

"If we want to find out who's behind this, we have to do what the Asgard do."
            "You mean bluff?"
            "Yep. We just need to do it without revealing what we know."
            "Which is nothing."
            "Right. But they don't know we know nothing."

Comment

I don't think there's any question of it being Stargate, perhaps the question is, is this a version of stargate which appeals to you.

From everything I've heard personally I'm going with no. It might be a good show, it might be a very good show, however everything I've heard makes me think that I won't like it. I watched SG1 and SGA because the concepts appealed initially and then because I liked what I saw and kept watching, I don't feel the same about SGU. The same way I don't think I'll be watching at many new shows of all different genres, simply because I don't like the sound of them. Sticking Stargate in front doesn't actually mean anything beyond context and setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Arica15 View Post
                I don't think there's any question of it being Stargate, perhaps the question is, is this a version of stargate which appeals to you.
                That is, indeed, the question that is posed by the title of the thread. Also, I asked this in my opening post on the thread.

From everything I've heard personally I'm going with no. It might be a good show, it might be a very good show, however everything I've heard makes me think that I won't like it. I watched SG1 and SGA because the concepts appealed initially and then because I liked what I saw and kept watching, I don't feel the same about SGU. The same way I don't think I'll be watching at many new shows of all different genres, simply because I don't like the sound of them. Sticking Stargate in front doesn't actually mean anything beyond context and setting.
                Fair enough. If the initial concept doesn't appeal to you, it can't really be helped. Do you plan on giving SGU a chance in the fall though? As others have said (to which I agreed), it's pretty harsh to completely judge the show before seeing it...though you can make some inferences. Just wondering really.
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post

Fair enough. If the initial concept doesn't appeal to you, it can't really be helped. Do you plan on giving SGU a chance in the fall though? As others have said (to which I agreed), it's pretty harsh to completely judge the show before seeing it...though you can make some inferences. Just wondering really.
                  Probably not, but again because i actually think it sounds tiresome as a concept. If I'm in and it appears on the screen would I actively avoid it, probably not, but would I go looking for it? Again, probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    But none of us have seen it yet, so how can we answer?
                    Fourthed.

That said, the original post also asked about what "Stargate" is to us, and I suppose we can answer that one.

I used to just say that Stargate was entertainment, but there is a little more than that. All drama and humor and action aside, Stargate espouses hope and optimism, that humanity is at heart worth giving a crap about, that we are ultimately good, and that we have the potential for so much more. Yes, there were dark stories and our heroes have sometimes committed terrible acts, but at the end of the day, there is always some inkling of hope and light.

SGU will of course be Stargate in the technical sense; even if it differs from what I have seen to be the trend of Stargate shows past, it's still Stargate; just a different flavor. The real question isn't whether it's Stargate, but whether fans will like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      Fourthed.
                      That said, the original post also asked about what "Stargate" is to us, and I suppose we can answer that one.
                      This is the question I meant to get across. Maybe it's not worded properly...as there've been several "Of course it will still be Stargate!" comments. Silly, as apparently "to you" was missed by a few people. Not saying you though, as you answered my intended question quite well, so thanks .

Of course it's the case that we can't know everything about the show yet, as it hasn't aired. However (and a main reason for me making this thread in the first place), lots of people have already condemned the show beforehand, so I wanted to know, more specifically, why.

I used to just say that Stargate was entertainment, but there is a little more than that. All drama and humor and action aside, Stargate espouses hope and optimism, that humanity is at heart worth giving a crap about, that we are ultimately good, and that we have the potential for so much more. Yes, there were dark stories and our heroes have sometimes committed terrible acts, but at the end of the day, there is always some inkling of hope and light.
                      Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

SGU will of course be Stargate in the technical sense; even if it differs from what I have seen to be the trend of Stargate shows past, it's still Stargate; just a different flavor. The real question isn't whether it's Stargate, but whether fans will like it or not.
                      Indeed. This is the question I meant to ask. "What is Stargate to you?" is a question that, obviously, would encompass the aspects of the show that a person happens to like. Furthermore, this question in relation to SGU (however speculative it may be) is still an interesting one, as has been seen on this forum since the axing of SGA and the announcement of SGU.

Hope this helps clarify what I wanted this thread to be about, though plenty have answered very well.
                      Last edited by Coronach; 25 June 2009, 02:25 PM.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

No, Theres not much about the stargate at all.SGC is nothing but a politically correct soapbox. And no I also dont care or want to see anything about someones sex life and leave out the curesing. Belive it are not the majority of us do not curse like saliors. If it isnt a real documentary then dont shoot it as a documentary, thats just boring, flash backs take away from a show it it is done more then twice, thats why I cant watch lost, it puts me to sleep and gets confusing. At least make it a show with these poeple on the ship with very little/or no referance about earth, show us the worlds and alians that they visit, that these writers talk about.

Comment

when you think about it, its more stargate then the others. they will always have ot leave the ship to get supplies, they are follwing a ship seeding STARGATES and they are going to have to go through the STARGATE for various reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                            No, Theres not much about the stargate at all.SGC is nothing but a politically correct soapbox. And no I also dont care or want to see anything about someones sex life and leave out the curesing. Belive it are not the majority of us do not curse like saliors. If it isnt a real documentary then dont shoot it as a documentary, thats just boring, flash backs take away from a show it it is done more then twice, thats why I cant watch lost, it puts me to sleep and gets confusing. At least make it a show with these poeple on the ship with very little/or no referance about earth, show us the worlds and alians that they visit, that these writers talk about.
                            So I take it you'll be watching SGU?
                            Sig by Pandora's Box
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                              So I take it you'll be watching SGU?
                              Dee has been expressing a dislike for anything supposedly "sex filled, violent and gritty" for a while, in multiple threads. I fail to see why s/he is even bothering to read up on Universe if that's what s/he is expecting.
                              Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                              Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Matarrese View Post
                                Dee has been expressing a dislike for anything supposedly "sex filled, violent and gritty" for a while, in multiple threads. I fail to see why s/he is even bothering to read up on Universe if that's what s/he is expecting.
                                Indeed. It's interesting...considering we have no notion of whether it'll be "sex-filled", or any more "violent and gritty" than the previous shows. Maybe more "gritty", but look luck defining that one, .
                                Sig by Pandora's Box
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X