Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it will be stargate to me, and i'm really not all that keen to watch it, i like episodes with a begining, middle and end, i have nothing against dark "serial" type shows that follow on from eachother, i loved BSG for example, but what they're promising for SGU seems to far removed from what i consider Stargate, plus i have zero faith that TPTB who ruined SGA can basically make anything worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      But none of us have seen it yet, so how can we answer?
      Second.
      Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

I really, really hope it will be Stargate to me. I don't want them to turn it into a soap opera, but I do think more character moments might not be a bad thing.
        Newbiegater

Save Stargate Sg-1!

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16, NIV

Comment

Originally posted by ProphetofSarumon View Post
          I think that I will need to see an episode or two of Universe before I decide.
          If only everyone's first post made this much sense. I agree completely with this statement.
          Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
          Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            But none of us have seen it yet, so how can we answer?
            Third.

Seriously, I don't get how it couldn't be Stargate. SG:A was just as much Stargate as SG:1 even though they were different - sometimes (although, I kinda always found it funny when people told me SGA was darker... I thought it was funnier and more shallow - but I loved it just the same). SG:U will be Stargate, by virtue of the fact it will be intergrated in the franchise.

What I find more disturbing is the people who are so against SG:U because it's going to be different. Different is good, it isn't stale and it means it wont be rehashing the same ground. It should be different, because otherwise it'll just be rebadged SG:1 or SG:A (which, honestly was rebadged SG:1 at times).

Originally posted by face of jase. View Post
            SGA arguably attracted a more dedicated and die hard fan base than SG1 (look at all the outcry when it was cancelled).
            There is nothing really to back up that argument... I am sure if SG:A survived 10 years (which it really couldn't). people could understand why it had to end. It doesn't make SG:1 fans any less dedicated, it just means we had more time to come to terms with its inevitable end.
            Last edited by Deevil; 24 June 2009, 10:15 PM.
            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

SGU will always be Stargate to me. So it's set on a ship. No difference.
              MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
              MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
              POLARIS TORONTO 2007
              CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
              GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
              VCON VANCOUVER 2010
              FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

What the hell else is it going to be???

It is going to have a big ship made by the ancients that follows another ship made by the ancients that fricken builds and seeds Stargates on planets.

It will have a whole lot of people walking through Stargates during its episodes.

So what, the eps might focus a bit more on feelings, emotions, relationships & whatever. Big deal, they will still be talking about their emotions with a big kick arse Stargate standing right behind them!!!

Thats pretty much as Stargatey as a show can get!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post

What I find more disturbing is the people who are so against SG:U because it's going to be different. Different is good, it isn't stale and it means it wont be rehashing the same ground. It should be different, because otherwise it'll just be rebadged SG:1 or SG:A (which, honestly was rebadged SG:1 at times).
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't know.
                    all these differences worry me a bit, but I'll give it a chance anyway...
                    I'll watch the pilot, the first episodes and then decide.
                    but I'm not so optimistic.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by RogueRanger

Comment

No this wont be Stargate for me, as I really don’t like the darker elements at all, an I have zero interest in watching the pilot. I don’t like what I have read so far, don’t like some of cast, not interested in the buzz words "darker, grittier etc...

I liked SGA in the format that it is, yes different is can be good, but you have to want a change for it to be good IMHO, an I was quite happy with the way it was, so no SGU doesn’t look like the type of Stargate I have come to love, an am just not interested. The concept an trailers etc.. have to grab you, so say "watch me, check me out etc.." an for me they don’t.

We've all different an see and want different things from shows, and at the end of the day it will always just come down to what you like or don’t like, regardless of whether its got Stargate in the title or who wrote it etc.. I was not and am not a fan of "the franchise" as such but just a fan of a particular show.
                      Atlantis Rocks

sigpic SGA the right people in the right place

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis Rocks View Post
                        No this wont be Stargate for me, as I really don’t like the darker elements at all, an I have zero interest in watching the pilot. I don’t like what I have read so far, don’t like some of cast, not interested in the buzz words "darker, grittier etc...

I liked SGA in the format that it is, yes different is can be good, but you have to want a change for it to be good IMHO, an I was quite happy with the way it was, so no SGU doesn’t look like the type of Stargate I have come to love, an am just not interested. The concept an trailers etc.. have to grab you, so say "watch me, check me out etc.." an for me they don’t.

We've all different an see and want different things from shows, and at the end of the day it will always just come down to what you like or don’t like, regardless of whether its got Stargate in the title or who wrote it etc.. I was not and am not a fan of "the franchise" as such but just a fan of a particular show.
                        Thats the thing about comfort zones. You often spend too much time in one place without challenging yourself and before you know it, the chance has gone and will never return.

In relation to the Stargate franchise they realised that SGA may have pumped out another year or 2 and then what?? A good solid 7 season run but the franchise dies, perhaps with a movie tying all the loose ends together.

This way, TPTB are tearing people like you out of your comfort zone with the hope of riding a still successful franchise and steering it into a future that wouldn't be possible without a new direction.

A lot of people don't like being out of their comfort zone, but you can never reach your full potential unless you do.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                          Thats the thing about comfort zones. You often spend too much time in one place without challenging yourself and before you know it, the chance has gone and will never return.

In relation to the Stargate franchise they realised that SGA may have pumped out another year or 2 and then what?? A good solid 7 season run but the franchise dies, perhaps with a movie tying all the loose ends together.

This way, TPTB are tearing people like you out of your comfort zone with the hope of riding a still successful franchise and steering it into a future that wouldn't be possible without a new direction.

A lot of people don't like being out of their comfort zone, but you can never reach your full potential unless you do.
                          Fair point, but they haven’t dragged me out of my comfort zone, because I'm not watching it instead they lost a fan, am only going to get season 5 box set, them I'm done. An to be fair why does someone have to watch something that doesn’t appeal, surely it has to appeal to a person, comfort zone or not.

After all this is just a TV show so maximizing potential doesn’t really apply here IMO but that said a lot people can achieve great things within there "comfort zones" because what’s the point in say being a group that’s so far above you that you figure in the bottom end of the stream an end up lacking confidence and causing low self esteem, when you can be in the lower stream an be at the top end and feel confident an achieve a lot things.

Even if this is my comfort zone though, that’s my personal choice, an they have no right IMHO to try an make me leave it because they don’t know my personal cumstances or life experiences etc.. or my reasons for as you put being in a comfort zone.

Again I will only watch what I like or what appeals, also forcing someone into it isn’t always the best way to go either it can cause resentment, as people can an will stick there heels in say no thanks just because of that.

Again as far as the Franchise is concerned I'm not a fan of that, I'm a Atlantis fan first an foremost, that’s what I watched because THAT'S what I liked its as simple as that for me.

Doesn’t mean to say I’m against SGU its just I'm not interested an IMO it would have been far better to have both shows, so both sides would be happy an be getting what they "personally" wanted out Stargate. But even if this had happend I personally, would still not being watching SGU because again it doesnt appeal.
                          Atlantis Rocks

sigpic SGA the right people in the right place

Comment

Yes it will be Stargate. Will it be a Stargate I feel like watching? No I don't think so. Then again in my household at least our tv watching days are pretty much over. I doubt the five of us watch more than four hours a week between us.
                            sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Doesn’t mean to say I’m against SGU its just I'm not interested an IMO it would have been far better to have both shows, so both sides would be happy an be getting what they "personally" wanted out Stargate. But even if this had happend I personally, would still not being watching SGU because again it doesnt appeal.
                              Well... ya know, I'm kinda glad they killed SG:A - and I loved the show... I just saw it dying, slowly and painfully and it wasn't fun.

That being said, we should probably not make this into a pro or anti-Atlantis thread.

I understand where you are coming from though... I have much the same thoughts about Star Trek. Kinda liked, but happily ignored the Original Series. Enjoyed The Next Generation - LOVED Deep Space Nine (which I admit was only good because they had competition with Bab5 - which is just great), got annoyed and bored with Voyager and HATED with a passion Enterprise.

For me, it wasn't all about the franchise (although, part of my hatred of Enterprise was how they deviated from established canon)... It was about the show itself, and well... they didn't all hold my interest.

So Atlantis_Rocks... I think we ALL have been in your position in one way or another - I get it.
                              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Fair point, but they haven’t dragged me out of my comfort zone, because I'm not watching it instead they lost a fan, am only going to get season 5 box set, them I'm done. An to be fair why does someone have to watch something that doesn’t appeal, surely it has to appeal to a person, comfort zone or not.

After all this is just a TV show so maximizing potential doesn’t really apply here IMO but that said a lot people can achieve great things within there "comfort zones" because what’s the point in say being a group that’s so far above you that you figure in the bottom end of the stream an end up lacking confidence and causing low self esteem, when you can be in the lower stream an be at the top end and feel confident an achieve a lot things.

Even if this is my comfort zone though, that’s my personal choice, an they have no right IMHO to try an make me leave it because they don’t know my personal cumstances or life experiences etc.. or my reasons for as you put being in a comfort zone.

Again I will only watch what I like or what appeals, also forcing someone into it isn’t always the best way to go either it can cause resentment, as people can an will stick there heels in say no thanks just because of that.

Again as far as the Franchise is concerned I'm not a fan of that, I'm a Atlantis fan first an foremost, that’s what I watched because THAT'S what I liked its as simple as that for me.

I can certainly respect that as an SGA fan, you wouldn't be as concerned about the direction of other parts of the franchise.

I got into Stargate via SGA and wasn't until much later that i watched all of SG1. Personally I am happy with having Stargate on TV (new Stargate that is) for as long as possible. I tend to agree that this is the best course of action (time will tell of course).

But......and this is a big but....SGU might suck giant balls and I will come grovelling back to you in a seasons time
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X