This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
    Makes sense, though, seeing as the crew is stuck on a ship bouncing from place to place. It makes it a lot easier on the writers, too, since all they have to do is come up with a Villain of the Week and screw continuity and development and all that stuff.
    Sooo, because the writers are incompetent, we don;t get a long story arc?
    Meh.

Comment

I think that there is no reason why there could not be a long story arc. There is no reason why there wouldn't be advanced races in the galaxy/galaxies that will be visited by the Destiny. These advanced races could use the stargates to colonize other planets.

I think it would be interesting if there is not just one advanced race who dominates the galaxy. Many advanced races who form different alliances with each other, or who are at war with other advanced races, provides for interesting long term story arcs imo.
      sigpic

Comment

Makes sense, though, seeing as the crew is stuck on a ship bouncing from place to place. It makes it a lot easier on the writers, too, since all they have to do is come up with a Villain of the Week and screw continuity and development and all that stuff.
        I always thought it was bit easier to write just one villain and bring story about them week after week. You must create one basic storyline for a whole season so you know where you're going. Than to invent one villain, and a whole backstory for them, every weeks. You must give them their own goals, their own aliens view of lifes, etc. At one time the same groups of writers comes up short of original storyline. Its like making a short movie every weeks. While you can always write an episode like "The queen" or an episode where the wraith are taking over atlantis or another episodes where they makes plans to steal the stargate from Atlantis or another where they kidnap McCay offworld or another where they make an alliance with the genii to take down Atlantis, another where the wraith poses as human (using carson formula) to infliltrate atlantis, etc.

Lets say that both approach bring its own challenges. If I was a writer I would use many new aliens every weeks to make original topical sci-fi stories with a sense of discovery and wonders and use good villain (and friends) to fill other episodes with good storylines. A good mix of both is what I like to watch. They all should be part of the same universe. Like they do in Atlantis. For example, almost all aliens of every planets should know about the main villains.

That said, I don't think them moving from planet to planet means there won't be main villains. Thats about what they are doing in SG1 and Atlantis (through the stargate) and there is some main villains. As it is possible for main villains to conquer, or try to conquer, or have relations with a whole galaxy as the Goaould, Wraith, Genii. Either through the stargates or with interplanetary vessels.
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
          Than to invent one villain, and a whole backstory for them, every weeks. You must give them their own goals, their own aliens view of lifes, etc.
          Under normal circumstances yes, you'd probably be right: coming up with a new villain week after week would be hard, but if you just have your bland bad guys and generic despots, the franchise has been living off those since the beginning: they're called "filler eps." Plus I doubt much thought will be put into grand things like goals and lifestyles and background and whatnot, it'll probably be just a basic outline. I mean, why waste time on a one-off villain? And they will all probably come in a few basic flavors (Cold Killers, Power-mongers, etc) with a few embellishments to make them look different. I figure they'll probably have one of those spinny wheel things in the main office and each week they'll give it a spin to see what kinda bad guy they're gonna write about this time.

Comment

Ok...honestly...i'd like to see non-humanoid creatures that keep following the ship around. The crew encounters them from time to time...they start out as creatures who merely follow the ship's energy source because it leads them to food. (the crew)

Over a short amount of time and some sort of events, the creatures would gain a bit more intelligence and communication abilities.
            It feels good to be alive.
            Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

How about and enemy that is not susceptible to our projectile weapons forcing the team to locate other means of dispatching said bad guys. Something with a little more 'pew pew' then 'bang bang'.

Comment

Why not an "bad guy" that we don't realize is there. It starts off where every world they visit has a defect, one race/culture/group of people is being oppressed, or there is a cultural 'wrong' and the SG team comes in and fixes it. But as time goes on we start to see that there is a pattern, and that someone is controlling the strings, a shadow government of the worlds.

Comment

Parasitical space vampires made of nanites that inhabit other beings and then ascend, only to raise massive armies that conquer other galaxies.

Duh.

Comment

One of our own, that seizes control of some alien race and becomes our enemy,

Comment

Gremlins - millions of years?, they could've evolved multiple sentient species on board the ship and colonies of sentient parasites living off the exhaust fumes. I wonder if the computer has a pet. Do the gremlins act as "mousers" to keep replicators from evolving?

Their own backgrounds

Capt. Janeway keeps trying to hack into the ship to learn its secrets.

Only gassy food is available and there is poor ventilation.

Remember all those overhead views from the first season of SGU? It was a goa'uld queen watching from the rafters.

The ancients looked funny when they weren't standing up and the furniture gets really mad if you try to modify it for humans.

Animal husbandry proves difficult when the ship was designed with exposed wiring - so much for trying to make feta. The baby will have to keep nursing until they find something richer in calcium to eat. Yeah, I said it, a baby.

I'm not sure about a great, great villain. If this series is meant to generate stand alone movies, villains as complicated as the Ori would be a bit much. Maybe big villains, but not necessarily complicated ones would be doable. The complication could come from having multiple or allied villains, but individual villains need to be understood more easily to generate movies.

Who says they aren't the villains?

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

Hey!! I got one How about a super advanced human from an alternate reality where the stargate program is just a TV show.

This Super Human has a grudge against every Man and Woman associated with Stargate universe, a grudge that only he and the hundreds of others from his reality can understand, any one from either reality who tries to convince them not to hate only get's a face full of sarcastic comments on how there Wrong!! and Thousands upon thousands of comments on how stargate universe Sucks...

Comment

Doesn't sound very super to me. LOL!

Besides, that'd be treading too close to Citizen Joe stuff and I really don't think we need to revisit THAT plot device. Particularly since TPTB's "homages" to fandom are usually twice as nasty as what the fans do to each other.

Comment

Doesn't sound very super to me. LOL!

Besides, that'd be treading too close to Citizen Joe stuff and I really don't think we need to revisit THAT plot device. Particularly since TPTB's "homages" to fandom are usually twice as nasty as what the fans do to each other.
                            That was a really terrible episode. I hope to never see an episode like that ever again.

Comment

Joe the barber should tam up with Lucius Lavin. Ok Jk Jk. That would just be awful, and rediculus; rediculiously awful. Seariously, maybe a spacfaring race like the travelers who are very territorial, and who beive that we are invading their territory.
                              For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Originally posted by ReFRidgerator View Post
                                Joe the barber should tam up with Lucius Lavin. Ok Jk Jk. That would just be awful, and rediculus; rediculiously awful. Seariously, maybe a spacfaring race like the travelers who are very territorial, and who beive that we are invading their territory.
                                *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                                X