Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like that they will change the style of communication with aliens. Next to the characters, the discovery of new races make me interested the most in SG:U.

As I could see there were no new writers. I hope they won't disappoint me.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by GateFanSamJack View Post
      I don't think Stargate SG-1 so much failed in writing romantic relationships as they weren't playing that game. They were writing about a Stargate team. Those people had pre-existing and developing (or stunted, as the case may be) relationships just because they were being written as people, but the focus of the show was Stargate missions.
      I have to agree with you there. I don't think they failed in the relationship department at all. Just, the show isn't based on romances but on the missions. The relationships are kinda like subplots for charactor development when TPTB feel like pulling that off. And also adds even to the missions. But it's not the main focus and I like that. But that's just my opinion. lol I have nothing against how anyone else feels about the said situation. *nod nod*

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
      Cool. So David Hewlett is considered attractive to most viewers?
      Depends on who you ask. lol Some people do find him rather attractive and some not so much. I don't find him "attractive" persay, but he has a cuteness to him and he is a really great actor. I have no complaints. lol *smiles and nods* To each their own though.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        Joe Flanigan, Jason Momoa, Rachel Luttrell and Jewel Staite seem to be.
        There's also a thunk topic for Zelenka in Characters and Relationships. Was the character designed to be a sex symbol? If not it just goes to show that TPTB can never be 100% certain about who viewers are going to find attractive.
        sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah! It just sounds better and better with every little drip and drop of info that's coming through!

I am drooling at the mouth in anticipation for Stargate: Universe!

Thanks Jumper!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

When reading this earlier, it was the first time i felt any antisipation toward to show. I was allways gonna give it a chance, but now im looking forward to seing the potentialy 3 part pilot!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
              There's also a thunk topic for Zelenka in Characters and Relationships. Was the character designed to be a sex symbol? If not it just goes to show that TPTB can never be 100% certain about who viewers are going to find attractive.
              So what? Are you trying to say it's impossible for the producers to cast attractive actors? Because it's not, not even close, if it were then basically every major series out there wouldn't be so good at doing it.

Comment

So what? Are you trying to say it's impossible for the producers to cast attractive actors?
                I'm saying that not all female viewers go for the generic Hollywood style handsome guy. Zelenka is unlikely to qualify as what TPTB think is every teenage girl's fantasy but he's still got women thunking over him. The same goes for Todd and Carson Beckett.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm saying that not all female viewers go for the generic Hollywood style handsome guy. Zelenka is unlikely to qualify as what TPTB think is every teenage girl's fantasy but he's still got women thunking over him. The same goes for Todd and Carson Beckett.
                  It's a numbers game though isn't it, they're not looking for niche looks, they'll be looking for actors that will appeal to as many people as possible.

Comment

It's a numbers game though isn't it, they're not looking for niche looks, they'll be looking for actors that will appeal to as many people as possible.
                    If TPTB looked at all the thunk threads in this forum and then did a study of characters/actors that young women thunk over they'd realise that the generic handsome Hollywood look doesn't seem to appeal to the majority.

The idea that every teenage girl from 13 to 19 fantasises over the same kind of guy is ridiculous. As a cynic I suspect that TPTB's concept of every teenage girl's fantasy is the kind of guy that cheerleaders swoon over in teen high school dramas.
                    sigpic

Comment

Back in the office today. Brad and Rob were in a meeting this morning so Paul and I ended up discussing the outline for the SGA movie. He’ll be making a few changes to the structure and then, hopefully, put it out before week‘s end. Once the meeting wrapped, we convened in the writers’ room and talked big picture notions for the series, the big bang, our expanding universe, and the interesting repercussions of FTL travel on both contact parties involved in an instantaneous means of communication. Oh, and the post-production schedule is out. It looks like February 4th will be the first day of principal photography.

Rose writes: “I’m puzzled every time it’s said (and it’s said a lot) that SGU will be more character-centered than SG-1 and Atlantis. The reason I eagerly tuned in to Atlantis every week for over four years is because of the characters. I looked forward to watching Sheppard, McKay, Ronon and Teyla, not the green screen stuff. Can you explain the difference?”

Answer: Don’t get me wrong. SG-1 and Atlantis owe much of their success to great characters like Jack O’Neill, Daniel Jackson, Amanda Tapping, Teal’c, and McKay. However, the premise of SGU is simply more intimate - a limited group of people trapped aboard a space ship hurtling through distant space - and therefore necessitates a more intimate form of storytelling.

PG-15 writes: “Doc Rush? Is he (like ytimynona said) Eli Hitchcock reimagined, or is he a new character?”

Answer: Eli is still around and Dr. Rush was a character envisioned from the get-go (although I don’t know if Rush was his original name).

For the love of Beckett writes: “ Character-driven, interpersonal relationships, but NO romance in the Universe? Not a smidge?”

Answer: Smidges are certainly possible. I didn’t mean to imply there would be no romance on SGU, only that the main focus of the interpersonal relations would be non-romantic in nature.

Bdash writes: “I really am getting tired of SG:90210 being hyped as the “bestest thing evah!” How about giving us some actual concrete reasons for wanting to watch this show?”

Answer: Here’s an idea. Why don’t you tune in and decide for yourself instead of basing your opinion on any pre-launch discussion.

Disappointed Fan writes: “ You know, I find it highly amusing that you constantly feel the need to tell us how great SGU is going to be. You feeling a little nervous about us hating it? I don’t remember this amount of encouragement being needed before Atlantis….”

Answer: I constantly feel the need to tell you how great SGU is going to be? Based on what? The occasional blog entry I’ve made about a show I happen to be working on? If you’re feeling overwhelmed, here’s an idea: Don’t read my blog. As for you not remembering this amount of encouragement being needed before Atlantis aired…You’re either kidding or may have been on another planet in the lead-up to the Atlantis premiere because there WAS plenty of talk about the new series.

Matt S. writes: “ 1) Do you find that, despite the show being different in scope and approach, the lessons learned from the two previous series runs allow you to be a better writer? (as opposed to the early years of SG1 without those lessons to serve you) and 2) Do you think it is a struggle to maintain the connection for this series (not a spinoff like SGA) to the spirit of the first two while also making it distinctly unique?”

Answers: 1) I think that writing and production are a continuous learning process and, yes, there are elements in SG-1 and SGA I wouldn’t want to repeat in SGU. On the other hand, there were many elements from both o SGU’s predecessors that I would love to see recaptured in the new spin-off. 2) I wondered how Brad and Robert would pull it off when they first pitched the new series, but once I read the storylines and the first script, those initial concerns were laid to rest. Yes, it definitely possesses the spirit of both SG-1 and SGA, but also stands alone as a unique entity.
                      http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...verse-day-two/
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Answer: Don’t get me wrong. SG-1 and Atlantis owe much of their success to great characters like Jack O’Neill, Daniel Jackson, Amanda Tapping, Teal’c, and McKay.
                        I didn't know that Amanda Tapping is a fictional character. I wonder who plays her.
                        sigpic

Comment

I didn't know that Amanda Tapping is a fictional character. I wonder who plays her.
                          Sam Carter
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

If TPTB looked at all the thunk threads in this forum and then did a study of characters/actors that young women thunk over they'd realise that the generic handsome Hollywood look doesn't seem to appeal to the majority.

The idea that every teenage girl from 13 to 19 fantasises over the same kind of guy is ridiculous. As a cynic I suspect that TPTB's concept of every teenage girl's fantasy is the kind of guy that cheerleaders swoon over in teen high school dramas.
                            Like I said, it's a numbers game, the online fandom is very much a niche.

Comment

Oooh, I like how SG:U is shaping up. I kinda got over the loss of SG:A (so much that since The Lost Tribe I only watched The Prodigal, which by the way rocked) and I'm eager for the new chapter of Stargate!

I'm happy about the O'Neillesque "everyday man"-approach, the Atlantis folks have become a bit too good in outsmarting their enemies IMO, I think they could turn around the Destiny in less than a week.

And a three-parter Pilot! Great. I hope this series will turns about okay. If not, well, there are plenty other things to do, I will be able to catch up with my X-files collection.

Oh and I've got a question: this poppy worn by Brad Wright, is it to commemorate the fallen of World War I? I'm Hungarian and I'm not sure, thanks.
                              sigpic

Well, not anymore... Good bye Atlantis!

Comment

Originally posted by Vespasianus View Post
                                Oooh, I like how SG:U is shaping up. I kinda got over the loss of SG:A (so much that since The Lost Tribe I only watched The Prodigal, which by the way rocked) and I'm eager for the new chapter of Stargate!

I'm happy about the O'Neillesque "everyday man"-approach, the Atlantis folks have become a bit too good in outsmarting their enemies IMO, I think they could turn around the Destiny in less than a week.

And a three-parter Pilot! Great. I hope this series will turns about okay. If not, well, there are plenty other things to do, I will be able to catch up with my X-files collection.

Oh and I've got a question: this poppy worn by Brad Wright, is it to commemorate the fallen of World War I? I'm Hungarian and I'm not sure, thanks.
                                The poppy is a mark of remembrance of those who died in the two world wars, and now those who haven fallen in combat in wars since then, including the current conflicts.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X