Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still... If you cast a 25 yo hot actress, having her play a nuclear physicist can be a little unbelievable. Yes, I do mean Denise Richards in 007's 'The World Is Not Enough'. Heck, having her play a typical SGC soldier might even cause problems. Not that smart people can't be pretty and young, but the way we've seen the pretty and young characterized and plot-situated in Stargate and dressed [yes, I do mean Anise/Vanessa Angel and, to an extent, Keller] to this point doesn't hold out much hope for me. I'm still hoping, though. Still hoping.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I hope there will be a flashback type story arc in the first season. I think it would be interesting to see Destiny as a ghost ship. Maybe our heroes will discover that some Ancients fled with Destiny to reach the other ship, but the ship went into a cosmic trap, so the crew died or left the Destiny. Maybe a hostile race conquered it, but whatever happened, the Destiny was sent automatically back to the start point, so Young's journey will find there. Maybe there will be some clue what happened with the original crew and where they went....
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        I hope there will be a flashback type story arc in the first season. I think it would be interesting to see Destiny as a ghost ship. Maybe our heroes will discover that some Ancients fled with Destiny to reach the other ship, but the ship went into a cosmic trap, so the crew died or left the Destiny. Maybe a hostile race conquered it, but whatever happened, the Destiny was sent automatically back to the start point, so Young's journey will find there. Maybe there will be some clue what happened with the original crew and where they went....
        Oh, I like THAT! That's a great idea! It would indeed be great if TPTB shows the Destiny before coming under the command of Colonel Young and his team.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          Oh, I like THAT! That's a great idea! It would indeed be great if TPTB shows the Destiny before coming under the command of Colonel Young and his team.
          Exactly. That would be awesome. It's what I ment earlier about it having a past history. Some reason as to why it was abandoned or something. That would be so awesome.
          sigpic

Comment

So..... Ancients.

Woot.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
              So..... Ancients.

Woot.
              They'd be very doomed Ancients, too, so it would be pointless getting attached to any of the characters.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                They'd be very doomed Ancients, too, so it would be pointless getting attached to any of the characters.
                Absolutely. They'll be there and then be gone. Stargate has and always will be about the SGC personnel. But whether people like it or not...the ancients ARE part of the background story. Background story. So they will feature at some point but it won't be in each and every episode. I mean...take Stargate: Atlantis for example. That took place on the City of the Ancients but did the Ancients appear in every episode? No. Appeared occassionally and mentioned occasionally perhaps but, again, not in every episode. I'm sure that people were able to handle the odd occassional, once in a full moon, appearance and occassional mention.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                  So..... Ancients.

Woot.
                  Yes, I want to leave the Ancients out. Maybe some primitive MW human or alien (for example Nox) found the ship, what was activated. They flew away to next galaxy, where they were killed by an enemy. The ship is so intelligent that it discovered it has no more crew, so it returned to the start point in MW. Maybe the ship brought back something, which will be activated later... Or something like that.There could be ship logs, high-tech hologram projectors, frozen goods, hidden signs, what will show what happened.

Maybe there were more Destiny type ship, so other crews began the same mission earlier. Maybe this event repeats themselves in every 10000 year, because they want to test humanity at the end. So maybe the whole journey is a game of a much older race(s).

Back from the spinning. I am sure they will reuse the set of the Destiny ship in different situations (AU, dream, flashback episodes), so they will find a way to introduce other "Destiny" type ships.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

To those of you asking, I’m not scheduled to leave for Japan for another two weeks. STOP RUSHING ME!!! Between now and then, I’ll be heading into the office to spin stories for SGU’s inaugural season, working on that super, secret project (Holy Moly! Almost 8 full pages now!), and, most importantly, work on my Tokyo itinerary. With regard to the latter, Carl Binder was kind enough to forward me the following link in an email titled “A possible side trip when you go to Japan…”
                    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-travel-plans/
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Thanks for bringing that to our attention, Jumper!

Comment

If I may be so bold as to interject a moment. Another poster in another thread likened SGU to something similar to what Farscape was and what BSG is. I thought that interesting point because the idea had been running through my head for sometime. So this is what I had to say on the topic...

Farscape always had that heavy romantic element between Crichton and Aeryn; enough so as to really make it a vital part of the entire series. It was as much about the development of their relationship with respect to the events of the show as it was about space travel, wormholes, and Crichton trying not to kill everybody.

BSG (throughout the first 2 seasons mostly) was perhaps the most well-balanced sci-fi show between sci-fi and personal relationships. A lot of that had to due with it's heavy dependence on philosophy and human psychology to drive the plot forward. It was never just sci-fi, at least not in the way the majority of sci-fi television is envisioned today. BSG was reminiscent of the classic SF novels that were just as much about humanity as they were about science fiction, space, and robots.

My only problem with accepting that SGU can succeed where those shows have gone and where SG-1 and SGA have kinda sort failed is that I doubt TPTB will be changing very much. I honestly don't think that the current PTB have it in them to create that complex of a television show. And if they do then I'd like to know why they haven't been employing more if it in SGA.

Just throwing that out there. Wondering what other people think. I realize that this has probably already been discussed, but humour me. Wading through 150 pages of posts doesn't exactly equal fun for me.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                          My only problem with accepting that SGU can succeed where those shows have gone and where SG-1 and SGA have kinda sort failed is that I doubt TPTB will be changing very much. I honestly don't think that the current PTB have it in them to create that complex of a television show. And if they do then I'd like to know why they haven't been employing more if it in SGA.
                          Good points. I'm sure SGU will be different in some ways from SGA, but I still think it will be more like SGA than like BSG. I guess it depends on what you like, but I'm completely ok with that and would actually prefer it.

I like SGA and SG-1 more than BSG, so obviously I would prefer SGU to be more like it's predecessors. Don't get me wrong, BSG is "better" from a critic's point of view, but I think SGA/SG-1 are funner shows and shows I can rewatch and rewatch. BSG isn't like that for me. So for my part, I'm completely ok with SGU having more of an SGA feel than a BSG feel.
                          sigpic
                          FOX Network

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            I know I've said this before, but those casting calls weren't bios, and we should treat them like it. They were for the sake of casting agents to find the right actor for the job, that does mean that that's how they'll be written, and in all probability they won't be.
                            pssh...that's what i've been saying since they released the casting sheet info. no one listens. sigh.
                            It feels good to be alive.
                            Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                              I know I've said this before, but those casting calls weren't bios, and we should treat them like it. They were for the sake of casting agents to find the right actor for the job, that does mean that that's how they'll be written, and in all probability they won't be.
                              Originally posted by GhostPoet View Post
                              pssh...that's what i've been saying since they released the casting sheet info. no one listens. sigh.
                              I'm thinking that they want casting agents to send them candidates who could pass as every teenage girl's fantasy or stunning and sexy. If those qualifications aren't necessary why mention them in the casting calls?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                                I'm thinking that they want casting agents to send them candidates who could pass as every teenage girl's fantasy or stunning and sexy. If those qualifications aren't necessary why mention them in the casting calls?
                                Well they were, but that's doesn't mean they're going to be written as some sort of heart throb does it?

Comment

Working...
                                X