Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    Well they were, but that's doesn't mean they're going to be written as some sort of heart throb does it?
    If they're not going to make something of it why not ask for candidates who will just look ordinary? Why not ask for candidates who will be convincing as a young lieutenant or a senator's daughter without bothering about what they're going to look like beforehand?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
      If they're not going to make something of it why not ask for candidates who will just look ordinary? Why not ask for candidates who will be convincing as a young lieutenant or a senator's daughter without bothering about what they're going to look like beforehand?
      Because viewers would rather watch attractive actors than ordinary looking ones, it's shallow but it's the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
        If I may be so bold as to interject a moment. Another poster in another thread likened SGU to something similar to what Farscape was and what BSG is. I thought that interesting point because the idea had been running through my head for sometime. So this is what I had to say on the topic...

Farscape always had that heavy romantic element between Crichton and Aeryn; enough so as to really make it a vital part of the entire series. It was as much about the development of their relationship with respect to the events of the show as it was about space travel, wormholes, and Crichton trying not to kill everybody.

BSG (throughout the first 2 seasons mostly) was perhaps the most well-balanced sci-fi show between sci-fi and personal relationships. A lot of that had to due with it's heavy dependence on philosophy and human psychology to drive the plot forward. It was never just sci-fi, at least not in the way the majority of sci-fi television is envisioned today. BSG was reminiscent of the classic SF novels that were just as much about humanity as they were about science fiction, space, and robots.

My only problem with accepting that SGU can succeed where those shows have gone and where SG-1 and SGA have kinda sort failed is that I doubt TPTB will be changing very much. I honestly don't think that the current PTB have it in them to create that complex of a television show. And if they do then I'd like to know why they haven't been employing more if it in SGA.

Just throwing that out there. Wondering what other people think. I realize that this has probably already been discussed, but humour me. Wading through 150 pages of posts doesn't exactly equal fun for me.
        The SG-1 characters had fantastic relationships with each other, just because they weren't all trying to have sex with each other constantly doesn't mean SG-1 'failed' in the relationships regard

Comment

Because viewers would rather watch attractive actors than ordinary looking ones, it's shallow but it's the truth.
          Viewers differ in what they find attractive. An actor who fits TPTB's concept of what teenage girls fantasise about mightn't appeal to female viewers in the age group that SGU is aimed for. As TPTB are men they might have more luck with picking a stunning and sexy actress who appeals to the majority of male viewers but there's no 100% guarantee. Will they be going on what they find attractive now or what they used to find attractive when they were 20? The results could vary depending on what they're basing their opinions on.

I'm somewhat cynical about things because of Ronon. He was obviously designed to be a hot guy with a big gun who looks sexy when leaping around in action sequences. On rare occasions he's been given a bit of character development but it doesn't last long because he soon reverts to being a hot guy with a big gun. So now to Chloe. I don't mind the idea of her being stunning and sexy when she makes her first appearance because she'll be coming from an environment where she'll have access to designer clothes, cosmetics and hair dressers. I'll definitely wince, though, if she stays looking like that when she's stranded in a distant galaxy where there's no beautician for light years.
          sigpic

Comment

Well, I’m off to read the very first draft of the very first Stargate: Universe script, compliments of Brad Wright and Robert Cooper…
            http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...iteracy-drive/
            sigpic
            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I just about freaked on that last post. I thought YOU were off to read it and was going to ask you where I could see it. No, just Joe, and my library has all the Necroscope books except that first one he has up for the BOTM club so Joe is just getting all the breaks and not me.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

Originally posted by GateFanSamJack View Post
                I just about freaked on that last post. I thought YOU were off to read it and was going to ask you where I could see it. No, just Joe, and my library has all the Necroscope books except that first one he has up for the BOTM club so Joe is just getting all the breaks and not me.
                LOL yeah that'd be pretty cool
                sigpic

Comment

Thank you Jumper, thank you.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                  K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                    The SG-1 characters had fantastic relationships with each other, just because they weren't all trying to have sex with each other constantly doesn't mean SG-1 'failed' in the relationships regard
                    In the romantic relationship department? Yeah, they pretty much failed there. I'd argue that it's easier to write friendships than it is to write a plausible romance in an SF setting.

But my argument went beyond the sex of BSG. That isn't to say that I had a problem with the sexuality of BSG. Take note that I sepcifically referred to seasons 1 and 2 of BSG where the sex wasn't nearly as pronounced as in later seasons. The first 2 were as much philosophical as they were science-fictiony and I really enjoyed that.

Admittedly, both BSG and Farscape were much darker than the Stargate franchise ever even tried to be, but I think if TPTB can incorprate some of the more complex elements of those shows and incorporate them with the humour and light-heartedness of Stargate, then we could be looking at something really great from SGU.

TPTB have to try something to revolutionize the franchise otherwise people will just get bored. In my opinon, of course.
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't think Stargate SG-1 so much failed in writing romantic relationships as they weren't playing that game. They were writing about a Stargate team. Those people had pre-existing and developing (or stunted, as the case may be) relationships just because they were being written as people, but the focus of the show was Stargate missions.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

Cool. So David Hewlett is considered attractive to most viewers?
                        Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                          Not to mention Todd and the other wraith. So much (un)like your average big-muscles low-brain football-player college student and every (but me at the time) teenage girl's fantasy, indeed.
                          My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                          Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                          sigpic

Comment

No, but Joe Flanigan, Jason Momoa, Rachel Luttrell and Jewel Staite seem to be.

Comment

We were all back in the office today, spinning stories for season one of Stargate: Universe. In attendance: creators Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, Carl Binder, Martin Gero, Alan McCullough, Paul Mullie, and myself. The first order of business was, of course, catching each other up on what we’ve been up to since last we met. I can’t help but think that if everyone on staff blogged as well, we’d be able to access all of this information before going into the office and could thereby dispense with the niceties of social interaction and get right to work. Easier said than done however. Paul’s Commodore 64 is not internet-capable and don’t get me started on Carl’s IBM Selectric, the Queen of electric typewriters.

Our second order of business was providing notes for episode #1. Brad and Rob did a terrific job of kicking things off in thrilling fashion. The script is fast-paced and fun; its characters unique and engaging. My favorite: Dr. David Rush. Oh, he’s going to be a handful. Originally planned as a two-parter, Brad and Robert quickly discovered that there was simply too much story for such a tight frame, so the series opener is now looking like a three-parter.

In addition to that first script, Brad and Rob provided us with a beat sheet and springboards for several more stories. Brad has laid claim to #4, a story that is right up his alley. Speaking of perfect pairings, I couldn’t think of anyone better than Carl Binder to write #5. Rob is eyeing #6 which offers a most intriguingly SF door in, while #7 and #8 have yet to be claimed.

As I mentioned in a previous entry, Stargate: Universe is a series that draws on established mythology yet blazes a bold, new path for the franchise. It’s definitely more character-centered and intimate in its exploration of the interpersonal dynamics that will drive a lot of the shipboard developments (and, no, I’m not talking about romance). The premise of this ship hurtling through uncharted territories offers up unbounded story possibilities, yet also forces us to adopt a very different approach toward alien encounters and planetary investigation. Twin themes mentioned over the course of today’s conversations: survival and sacrifice.

Prep-production is progressing nicely. Rob showed me about eight different designs for the Destiny. According to him, they’re getting close. No casting news to convey but some interesting names are being bandied about. The search continues. Finally, another element I’m loving is the SGU version of the SG-1/Atlantis MALP (Mobile Analytic Laboratory Probe). Very cool.

Tomorrow, we discuss Brad’s first story following the big three-part opener, establish some of the big picture storylines and arcs we’d like to pursue over the course of the show’s first 20 episodes, and then start breaking Carl’s story.
                              http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...verse-day-one/
                              sigpic

Comment

Judging by all the love Hewlett gets at conventions and from the fandom...yeah.

Thanks, Jumper. SGU is starting to shape itself into a real series and I think now some of people's worries will be put at ease.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X