This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    that's my issue with it. I live with it 24/7, not only on a national level but on a local one (we have a local religious fanatic whose 'religion' is, i kid you not, to be homophobic. in his mind, the reason we had fatalities in this weekend's storms was god's wrath for us having homosexuals in our country...and no, i am not making this up)

so i live with religious fanaticism and hatred hiding behind religion on a daily basis, which is probably why i have no patience for it in my 'entertainment'

i've lived the futility
    Just don't mistake fanatics for people who really follow a religion (or otherwise) as their are fanatics on all sides...all beliefs and non-beliefs. Doesn't mean they speak (or even ARE) for their belief system.
    It feels good to be alive.
    Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

very true. to me, being religious has less to do with where you pray than it does what you do.

I have first hand experience with a priest who has a girlfriend, i know of a girl who's 21, who's on her third child and says she cannot prevent the pregnancies because her religion doesn't permit birth control...yeah, well it sure as hades doesnt' permit premarital sex either but that doesn't seem to stop her

In other words, to me, religion isn't in the words you speak perse, but in your actions and attitudes

but this doesn't apply to the ori. the ori demand blind devotion and, as such, are fueled by people that do not think for themselves - or are too afraid to.

my personal beliefs lead me to be very skeptical of religions and very cynical, and that does color how i see the Ori storyline. It's nothing near what i call entertainment and i don't find the futility of fighting the fanatic to be appealing at all

you can't win. the best that can be hoped for is a stalemate
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

very true. to me, being religious has less to do with where you pray than it does what you do.

I have first hand experience with a priest who has a girlfriend, i know of a girl who's 21, who's on her third child and says she cannot prevent the pregnancies because her religion doesn't permit birth control...yeah, well it sure as hades doesnt' permit premarital sex either but that doesn't seem to stop her

In other words, to me, religion isn't in the words you speak perse, but in your actions and attitudes

but this doesn't apply to the ori. the ori demand blind devotion and, as such, are fueled by people that do not think for themselves - or are too afraid to.

my personal beliefs lead me to be very skeptical of religions and very cynical, and that does color how i see the Ori storyline. It's nothing near what i call entertainment and i don't find the futility of fighting the fanatic to be appealing at all

you can't win. the best that can be hoped for is a stalemate
        You stay on your side of the universe and we'll stay on ours.

Comment

yeah, but the ori won't do that. they won't respect others becaue they have this drive and need to 'convert' as many as possible

sigpic

Comment

that's my issue with it. I live with it 24/7, not only on a national level but on a local one (we have a local religious fanatic whose 'religion' is, i kid you not, to be homophobic. in his mind, the reason we had fatalities in this weekend's storms was god's wrath for us having homosexuals in our country...and no, i am not making this up)

so i live with religious fanaticism and hatred hiding behind religion on a daily basis, which is probably why i have no patience for it in my 'entertainment'

i've lived the futility
            But at least the Ori aren't homophobic (yet), when they'll turn phelps then sci fi becomes your daily international and local reality.
            School is overrated.

Comment

intolerant fanaticism is still intolerant fanaticism

and futility is neverending

sigpic

Comment

intolerant fanaticism is still intolerant fanaticism

and futility is neverending
                Sad, but true...

Comment

that's why i don't find the Ori that interesting.

when shows get into this 'bigger villian, bigger villian, bigger villian' arms race, they keep getting more and more and more OTT until they reach a silliness level that beomes mockable.

I acknowledge the temptation to keep going for the bigger flash in the pan, but it creates an unsustainable situation. the bigger and more unbeatable the villian, the bigger and more unbelievable the 'fix' and things get more and more farcical

instead of making them bigger and badder, how about making the vilians more interesting? how about giving them more depth and more cause for what they do?

the ori and priors are just like the kull warriors...just without the armor

mindless canonfodder

sigpic

Comment

that's why i don't find the Ori that interesting.

when shows get into this 'bigger villian, bigger villian, bigger villian' arms race, they keep getting more and more and more OTT until they reach a silliness level that beomes mockable.

I acknowledge the temptation to keep going for the bigger flash in the pan, but it creates an unsustainable situation. the bigger and more unbeatable the villian, the bigger and more unbelievable the 'fix' and things get more and more farcical

instead of making them bigger and badder, how about making the vilians more interesting? how about giving them more depth and more cause for what they do?

the ori and priors are just like the kull warriors...just without the armor

mindless canonfodder
                    I suppose we'll get some more explanations and perhaps more "human" face of the Ori in season 10. Let's wait and see...

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                      I suppose we'll get some more explanations and perhaps more "human" face of the Ori in season 10. Let's wait and see...
                      The Ori are new. They were introduced in season 9, as the Wraith were in season 1 Atlantis. No time for depth, and yet we saw Condemned, Instinct, Michael and Allies. Who says we won't seem deph of the Ori, after all it's pretty much the same TPTB.
                      School is overrated.

Comment

The problem is that the Ori are that powerfull that there is NO way to logical win, except by a deus ex machina -> arthus ascended killer device, weapon, thingy, whatever.
                        That is bad story telling, especialy if you actually want to continue the story after the ultimate evil has been defeated.
                        What will you do then? pull out a new ultimate evil, that needs to be defeated by yet another plot device?
                        Season 6, the eye of ra
                        Season 7, the lost city
                        Season 8, the dakara device
                        Season 9+ merlins thingy

See a pattern there? it is bad writing, just topping one ueber evil with another and inventing another super weapon of doom to counter it.
                        After the Ori there will be no more enemy that can be bought in logicialy.
                        The end of the Ori plot is the end of at least sg1

Comment

Agreed, TPTB should focus less on making more and more uberpowerful bad guys and focus more on giving enemies depth and character

That's what we want right: interesting enemies with complex relationships with the protagonists. Some of the best enemies are ones that you can relate to or have believable motives (rather than "mwahahaha we're so evil we want to enslave the universe")

Less deus ex machina, more depth

Comment

Working...
                          X