This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    yeah, and if vala is any indication, we're screwed but didn't get to have any fun

it does set the ori up as maybe TOO unbeatable. so when earth triumphs it'll be something rather anticlimactic and contrived to get them out of the corner they've written themselves into
    That is so seriously on target Skydiver. Horriblyevilsuperduperbaddies without the depth and development that makes a bad guy or bad guys interesting and compelling.

Part of the coolness of Apophis's evilness was the Amonet story which tied him into Shaure and thusly Daniel. There were many layers to his personna beyond the typical "he's evil" schtick...Serpent's Song and The Devil You Know and gave all kinds of insight into his motivations and allowed us to delve more into who he was...so did Family and Enemies for that matter.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
      I have no idea, but I know it's not impossible.

There is no such a thing as a no-win situation, at least that's what I think.
      Sure there is, spontane example, a large object on collision curse with earh, say
      a black hole. there would be absolutly nothing we can do. it is no-win whatever we try to do, since we can't do anything to save us.
      We can't destroy it, nor we can run away.

Same way are the ori setup, we can't kill them, nor can we run realy away since they come to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
        Sure there is, spontane example, a large object on collision curse with earh, say
        a black hole. there would be absolutly nothing we can do. it is no-win whatever we try to do, since we can't do anything to save us.
        We can't destroy it, nor we can run away.

Same way are the ori setup, we can't kill them, nor can we run realy away since they come to us.
        Well actually, SG-1's handled both of those scenarios already.

Large object on collision course with Earth...Fail Safe. SG-1 extended the hyperspace envelope around the astroid and essentially flew through Earth.

Black hole...Matter of Time. SG-1 uses a shape charge to redirect the wormhole connecting Earth with the planet next to the black hole, thus causing the matter stream to jump to a different gate in the network.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

except that where both times vastly different scenarios from the one i stated, they are not even close to comparable.

Comment

Well, you've pretty much just combined the 2 effects.

I don't think it's impossible to get rid of it...I wonder what would happen if we parked a supergate (that's obviously bigger than the black hole) in front of it...will it suck the gate in, or would it go through the gate? If the actual gate is far enough away from the event horizon of the blackhole, then won't it just go through the gate?

Failing that, we can set up a time dilation device around it, and speed up time, and hope that that Hawkin Radiation thing would hurry the hell up.

The fact is, when you're dealing with a techno problem, technobabble pretty much solves everything. It's far from a no-win situation.

Comment

Hrmm, i think i did made it clear what i meaned, my fault.
              I meaned, us, this earth, now, like no stargate, just us peasants here on the ground.

Comment

Oh ok.

Well then, nevermind. (I still don't think there's a no-win situation, but then maybe I'm just naive...or I don't think a blackhole will be heading for us in the near future )

Comment

it's easy to turn folks when you say 'this is a fake god. defeat him and you won't have to slave in the mines'

it's a bit harder when you're saying 'your gods are fake. oh and heaven? ya ain't gonna get there, so sorry' the people don't see how they've been enslaved so they have nothing to rebel against other than praying a few less hours a day

But these aren't your traditional "gods" in a sense because they make their power known via the Prior. If the Ori are defeated then there goes the prior's power and in time their influence. We already know that their followers are driven to commit sin in order to have to something to confess and pray for forgiveness to the Ori. Their also a small resistance that comes into play they could grow if the Ori weren't in the picture and challenge the Priors which would be reduced to mostly old men with cool looking sticks. If you just kill the Ori go to through the supergate and beam up all their SG's, ships, and any other tech then they'll be stuck in medieval times problem solved it and won't matter how mad they are at us because they won't be able to do anything about it because they'll be stuck in a galaxy far far away and by the time they get advanced enough to do anything about it the inhabitants of the Milky Way will probably be more advanced or Ascended.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                    Personally, I'm liking the Ori so far as an enemy. I just can't wait for us to actually engage some of their warriors in battle on the ground. It would be cool to see a Prior leading the attack, as well. And in season 10, we will get a
                    Spoiler:
                    human version of the Ori. Adria, Vala's daughter
                    . That should be cool IMO.
                    Same here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ori remind me of the Dominion in Star Trek: DS9, a mass of individual, yet collective, evil bad guys ... be it the 'great link' of shapeshifters or a bunch of ascended beings ...

You know who were the best villains in SG-1? The Aschen. Sinister, but you'd never know it because of all the cool tech they openly provided ... then, when you realize you're in deep doo doo, it's too late, because they got you.

PS I thought they were going to make the Aschen arc a trilogy. I'm still waiting for the third episode.

Too bad you can't make the Ori sterile.
                    I totally agree with you

I for one nevered liked the Goa'uld, for some reason I can never take them seriously. As for the Replicater loved them

To me villan's have two things in common, power and domination. Which villan is better comes down to individual's perspective for perception is human condition/nature. We either like them or hate them, but how they are portrayed and written will highly influence us.

Personally my favorite villan of all time(for now) will have to be Evil Willow from Buffy.
                    sigpic

Comment

Replicarter was a fantastic villian. Largely because we knew her motivation. to surivive. To have her brethern survive. That was why she did what she die.

Pops, yeah, even understood pops' motivation. And after Serpents Song, when we got to see the poor host, it gave pops a bit more depth.

Nuby? Nuby was a joke. Plain and simple. He was OTT silliness.

Ba'al, well y eah, the clone angle was stupid, but until that point, Ba'al was far more sinister than Nuby and all his grand plans.

The Wraith, in the beginnign they were silly. They were nothing more than blue skinned vampires. But this season we have gotten a different look at them and they are a ton more interesting. And for just the eps that Fifth said. Condemned, Instsinct, Michael and Allies.

To me, the only way the Ori will be anything more than boring men in silly makup is if they give them more depth than 'we want all the power' duh, hello, who doesn't want power? that's always the villian's motivation. Care to give us something more?
                      Did you just call me Fifth? XD

Comment

Spoiler:
                        From what the spoilers tells us, Adria is just a shell, a husk, a vessel. At birth, she's nothing more than a child indoctrinated with Ori power, knowledge and propganda.

After all, she still feels love for her mother and is easily (relatively) swayed by her. Would some megalomaniac all-powerful Ori be this way?

Sounds like Adria really is an oracle. There to speak for the Ori as a direct link and to maybe one day get possessed by random Ori who want to speak to us without bringing down the Wrath of the Others.
                        Last edited by Skydiver; 13 March 2006, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Ack! Your spoiler code ain't working!

Comment

Well, so far, the best villain in the entire SG1 series, as far as I can remember was Senator/VP Robert Kinsey. Even before the Go'auld took over his body, he was doing all sorts of evil stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JUNIOR
                              But these aren't your traditional "gods" in a sense because they make their power known via the Prior. If the Ori are defeated then there goes the prior's power and in time their influence. We already know that their followers are driven to commit sin in order to have to something to confess and pray for forgiveness to the Ori. Their also a small resistance that comes into play they could grow if the Ori weren't in the picture and challenge the Priors which would be reduced to mostly old men with cool looking sticks. If you just kill the Ori go to through the supergate and beam up all their SG's, ships, and any other tech then they'll be stuck in medieval times problem solved it and won't matter how mad they are at us because they won't be able to do anything about it because they'll be stuck in a galaxy far far away and by the time they get advanced enough to do anything about it the inhabitants of the Milky Way will probably be more advanced or Ascended.
                              so we kill the ori, leaving the priors powerless adn trigger countless bloody civil wars across untold thousands of planets but just shut our eyes to the carnage cause, you know, it's over there and doesn't concern us?

We de-god the poor people and then just let them fend for themselves and sort it out amongst themselves

real responsible
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think they have made the Ori out to be just a little too powerful. That battle sequence was a little too one sided.
                                WHAT DO YOU MEAN, NO BLUE JELLO?

Comment

Working...
                                X