This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    and my money is on the cheesy deus ex machina.

kinda like we had in reckoning, kinda like we had in new order with
    Spoiler:
    jack's super gun, that gets disabled to allow for the bigger and better weapon in reckoning

the thing is, when the writers keep coming up with bigger and badder, without adequately giving said villians real motivation or a well thought out achilles heel, then they simply set themselves up to be mocked because they keep creating the more and more impossible situation and then create teh gizmo to get us out of it.

who needs ingenuity, we just need the next best thing off the 'as seen on tv' website
    It seems now that there's no Achilles heel for the Ori, I suppose we'll see one in season 10.

Comment

I say it again, the deus ex machina is already build in.
      The holy grail, arthurs ascended beings killer thingy.
      That is all there is, nothing else is needed.
      We just get beated in all major events till its found, then the story is over.

Comment

Originally posted by shiznaw
        The following was quoted prior:

First come the The Goa'uld were bad, but they were interesting. The whole symbiote things was interesting.. and it made for a cheap enemy too, because it was an alien in a human body and not for silly Star Trek "everybody is human" reasons. Granted, the comic book bad guy dialogue did make the Goa'uld a little cheesy, but really, all in all they were O.K.

Next, The Replicators were also bad, and they were SOMEWHAT interesting. Legos with attitude aren't that scary, but they weren't a virtual copy of the Goa'uld.

Next, we get the "new and improved" Apophis in Season 8. He takes over a larger kingdom. He has bigger ships. He has more troops. He's worse, but there's no great creativity there. He's just "System Lord" 2.0.

Then we have "worse than the Goa'uld" in the form of Anubis-Ascended. The whole "half ascended" bit was supposed to make him scarier, but really he was the same as any other Goa'uld in motives. He still had to gloat. He still had to dominate others in much the same way. Not until the end, in "Threads" when he wanted to destroy all life in the galaxy and start over did Anubis really differentiate himself from other Goa'uld. Sure, he had "worse" warriors than Jaffa, but they weren't very interesting. Sure, he had slightly more tech than other Goa'uld, but really, is slightly better tech anything other than just more of the same? Anubis is "System Lord" 3.0.

Then we have the human-form Replicators. They still want to do the same thing as regular Replicators, but they add a comic book villain element too. Now we can talk to them. Other than that? Not so differernt. These are Replicators 2.0. But they aren't bad enough, so we need to personalize it more. We create history between Carter and Fifth, and now he has a personal grudge against SG1 and humanity in general. Replicator 3.0. Still not enough, let's personalize it some more with a RepliCarter, who is about as personalized as you can get. Replicator 4.0. More of the same. Just "crank up the volume".

For Stargate Atlantis, we have the Wraith, who are a lot like the Goa'uld. The Goa'uld use humanity as unwilling hosts and slaves, while the Wraith use thumanity as unwilling food. Both the Goa'uld and the Wraith have unnatural regenerative powers, and through either nature or technology live forever. Both use the same comic book villain lines. Both are more technologically advanced than humanity. Both rule large swaths of their respective galaxies. Both are dependent upon humanity for their very lives (the Goa'uld as hosts, the Wraith as food). In order to make the Wraith "worse than" the Goa'uld, instead of space enslavers, they are space vampires. So really, in a lot of ways, it is just more of the same.

Now, in season nine, we have the Ori. "Worse than the Goa'uld" we are told. But really, aren't they just another form of ascended being just like Anubis but? Shouldn't they be calling it "Worse than Anubis"?

It seems to me, rather than concentrating on making an enemy "worse than" the predecessor enemy, a more INTERESTING enemy would be a good idea. This whole "Worse Than" craze really is no way to drive a series. Interesting is a lot more important than "worse than".

I think the Ori ARE worse than the Goa'uld in this case. Unlike a Goa'uld you can't kill an Ori...can't even get to their galaxy...and when they DO find this secret weapon...I doubt it's going to be an easy thing to kill the Ori with it.
        They have followers farrrr more resolved than any Jaffa ever had.

So yes...they are worse than the Goa'uld. =)
        It feels good to be alive.
        Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Well i think we can all agree that when the Ori are defeated that will be the end of SG-1. If the trend is to go bigger and badder then you really can't get bigger or badder than the Ori.

Comment

You never know the Stargate wrld could be attacked by..... Magnets !!!
            Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by TPL2005
              Well i think we can all agree that when the Ori are defeated that will be the end of SG-1. If the trend is to go bigger and badder then you really can't get bigger or badder than the Ori.
              oh i'm sure they'll come up with something bigger and badder.....somehow.

always has to be bigger

bigger isn't always better
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

oh i'm sure they'll come up with something bigger and badder.....somehow.

always has to be bigger

bigger isn't always better

Frankly, I'd really think it was something if they could infuse a "98 pound weakling with a killer chihauhaha as his sidekick" with enough menace and intrigue to really seem like a formidable villian. Be creative!
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

like on atlantis. ok, i know people that hate them, but i liked the genii in a way simply because they weren't bigger and more powerful...but they were still a force to be reckoned with because they were smart and incidious and intelligent

you didn't need to search for a super weapon and go ona quest full of spiffy sfx...you had to think your way out of it and out plot them

i miss those intelligent villians

sigpic

Comment

like on atlantis. ok, i know people that hate them, but i liked the genii in a way simply because they weren't bigger and more powerful...but they were still a force to be reckoned with because they were smart and incidious and intelligent

you didn't need to search for a super weapon and go ona quest full of spiffy sfx...you had to think your way out of it and out plot them

And the winner is.....Skydiver.

Comment

Ba'al and Gerak sort of (I guess he might be considered more of an antagonist though.)

Comment

You also have to take into account that S9 was just setting up their main arch with the Ori, and now that they have established that I think we’ll see more minor villains that use their wit more (Lucian Alliance,
                        Spoiler:
                        the possible new Goa’uld character related to the Cronus story arch,
                        and of course Ba'al).

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                          The opposite. It's fascinating theme to introduce, but it's extremely difficult one and it has to be done well. The beginning (season 9) did quite well, let's see what's next...
                          I really don't like religious fanatics with my entertainment. There are too many of them in the world as it is.
                          WHAT DO YOU MEAN, NO BLUE JELLO?

Comment

Originally posted by TPL2005
                            Don't you remember Yoda 101 "Size Matters Not."

Comment

Originally posted by Lokii
                              I really don't like religious fanatics with my entertainment. There are too many of them in the world as it is.
                              that's my issue with it. I live with it 24/7, not only on a national level but on a local one (we have a local religious fanatic whose 'religion' is, i kid you not, to be homophobic. in his mind, the reason we had fatalities in this weekend's storms was god's wrath for us having homosexuals in our country...and no, i am not making this up)

so i live with religious fanaticism and hatred hiding behind religion on a daily basis, which is probably why i have no patience for it in my 'entertainment'

i've lived the futility

sigpic

Comment

that's my issue with it. I live with it 24/7, not only on a national level but on a local one (we have a local religious fanatic whose 'religion' is, i kid you not, to be homophobic. in his mind, the reason we had fatalities in this weekend's storms was god's wrath for us having homosexuals in our country...and no, i am not making this up)

so i live with religious fanaticism and hatred hiding behind religion on a daily basis, which is probably why i have no patience for it in my 'entertainment'

i've lived the futility
                                What a demented soul. When the local fanatics start coming door to door, I grab my "Guns don't kill people I kill people" or "Religious nuts should be pressed into peanut butter" t-shirt and answer the door. They are quite the deterrent. They usually turn right around.

Comment

Working...
                                X