S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
    i'm right with you on that. I don't think there is very many that doubted that things were gonna change when RDA left and they basically bumped off other fave characters-but please-a little thought concerning the characters goes a long way.

they wouldn't have made Cam being more a bumbling fool had they called him Doofus McTwoshoes.

It was like-OMG-we have to come up with new characters fast-they won't notice.

uh guys-we've noticed.
    I thought his name was Martin Stuart.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
      I thought his name was Martin Stuart.
      Martin Stuart-Doofus McTwoshoes-same difference
      Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Martin Stuart-Doofus McTwoshoes-same difference
        Martin Stuart Doofus McTwoShoes Baldrick Mitchell.

Comment

How many teen/young males stay in to watch TV instead of going out?

How much disposable income do they tend to have?

How many other shows are trying to woo them?

Seems to me that they're a terrible choice of demographic to rely on.
          Intresting to bring these questions up. The genre (according to some of the the writer's resources I have read over the years) is mainly aimed at young (white) males between the ages of 15 to 25. They target audience is seen as having money to burn because most are teens with part time jobs. They are aimed at the teenage sons of wealthy and middle class families. Young men who grew up reading comic books. Notice all the comic books turned into movies out there lately?

The industry has in fact ignored the girls--which has been sited as a hugely overlooked growing target audience in many news articals I have read over the years. They also have ignored black and hispanic for the most part too.

The demographic the industry is aimed at is the same demographic that the first Star Trek, Buck Rodgers, Battle Star Galactica (original) and cowboy shows were aimed at.

The industry has taken into account that many of the target demographic from back in the 60's are still watching the genre today. And that has been one of the drives behind high price memorabilia today. So, now they figure they can sell old series and movies at a higher price. Old tin lithograph lunchboxes can go for really high prices now days. Those are the people the special edtions and boxed sets are marketed at.

Part of my job is to decide what is my target demographic for the series I am writing. I have taken a differnet approach and included young girls and ethnics into that equation. In doing so, I have brought in charaters that would have shied away from in this this type of genre just ten years ago. That will also make my series harder to sell to big publishers. Those same big publishers would also insist I take those characters out and re-write my plot. So, my publihing outlet will be either small press or independent like Lulu.

Star Trek did make some effort at some of the issues but never fully went into those issues.

So I have brought characters with issues that have always been in our society. War, ethnic heritage, gays, and a very strong female lead--who parents try to control her life. Less technology based--I liked the Stargate use of alien technology in the early seasons. Something mysterious that needed to be figured out. I use that approach with technology.

According to the refrences I have read for writer's, Sci-fi and fantasy IS the same genre. Westerns are the male version of Romance Novels. And most technical manuals are also aimed at white males. In general, blacks, hispanics, gay, lesbian and trangender all have thier own catagory. I have found a few publishers who insist that sci-fi should have heavy amounts of technology in it. Near borderline tech manual writing.

It amazes me--that the TV and media--can be so liberal and tote in the newspapers and such about gay marrage, equal rights, anti segragation. Yet, they do it themselves every single day. But whats even more amazing--is that science fiction can address these issues by making some rediculas situation and those issues are not really even considered to be in sci-fi.
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

ROFLMAO! Good one!
            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Comment

ROFLMAO! Good one!
              Mitchell - descended from a long and not-exactly-illustrious line of village idiots.

Comment

Hey! It's the MM that TPTB were spouting about before Lt. Col. Cammy-poo came into being!

suse
                Pretty sure MM stood for Major Mitchell of Stargate Command.
                Last edited by suse; 27 April 2007, 08:28 AM.
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                  Yup, now I get a phone call and forget I was watching it.

suse
                  Now I wished the phone would ring.
                  Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                    heehee

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                      Hey! It's the MM that TPTB were spouting about before Lt. Col. Cammy-poo came into being!

suse
                      Pretty sure MM stood for Major Mitchell of Stargate Command.
                      Now it stands for Moron Mitchell of Spaceshipgate Crap.

Comment

lol. Mitchell is another Pete. Funny how BB turned down the role of Pete and he walked into another Pete role.BB and the Fans deserver better.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                          lol. Mitchell is another Pete. Funny how BB turned down the role of Pete and he walked into another Pete role.BB and the Fans deserver better.
                          Pete was a guest character, who didn't really affect the show much longterm. Mitchell is, in theory if not in fact, the lead character and made his debut in a season where nearly everything changed and the show's history was turned upside down. He's Pete X 100.

I'm a Sam/Jack shipper but I don't dislike Pete; I think that the relationship was a necessary stepping stone for Sam.

With Mitchell, having a new character may have been necessary but having the new character we got stuck with was not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                            Okay, just give me your phone number, I have nothing better to do at that time
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Pete was a guest character, who didn't really affect the show much longterm. Mitchell is, in theory if not in fact, the lead character and made his debut in a season where nearly everything changed and the show's history was turned upside down. He's Pete X 100.

I'm a Sam/Jack shipper but I don't dislike Pete; I think that the relationship was a necessary stepping stone for Sam.

With Mitchell, having a new character may have been necessary but having the new character we got stuck with was not.
                              I didn't mind Pete. The Jack/Sam thing was getting kind of old and by the time Pete came along...I was glad to see Sam go on with her life. Then Pete turned into a jerk at the end of season 8. That's when I knew they were going back to the Jack shippy thing.

I would rather have Pete over Mitchell or Vala right now. He was a complete goof--but that was normal for him. Of course, if TPTB really wanted an uproar. They should have brought Pete into the SGC and had him assigned to a team as some sort of civilian program. Then Sam would come back to the SGC and find her ex on the team.

Oh, let's see what we could do:

Pete and Daniel become great friends...but Teal;c thinks Pete is a moron. Vala shows up and takes Pete for everything he has and then get's shippy with Daniel.

Hmm, sound like season 9 and ten.
                              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                                I am not a big BB fan, actually I have never heard of him until he joined Sg-1. But from what I read he was a Stargate fan and was really looking forward to his role. I am just sorry that TPTB didn't give him a better intro and character. The way he was written just made it hard for me to accept him as a leader of Sg-1.
                                Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Working...
                                X