No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you have to totally rewrite the show to make a character fit, then yes, i'd wonder if the character is really a good fit for said show.

the sad part is that mitch COULD have been relatively seamlessly integrated. Major Mitchell joining the team. or a jaded Colonel MItchell, a no-nonsense man (that doesn't believe in aliens by the way) that's given command of a group of crackpots and screwups...who happen to be better than he is.

but they didn't seem to look more than one episode ahead at any point in time, and so we have lt colonel schizo whose mood/temperment and abilities vary with the moods of the writers and directors

poor guy
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Thats the thing though. SG-1 was NEVER populated by crackpots and screwups.

Sure Daniel was a bit screwy from a more discipline military point of view but he was never really as screw up. He was just misunderstood by his collegues. He was right and they were wrong. Teal'c was a professional soilder who got over his upbringing and maintained that professionalism. Carter was a solid career military person, you dont even snif screw up or undiscipline when around her. O'Neill was the only one that could possibly be considered a "screwup" but he NEVER screwed up his JOB he just messed around with his superiors brains. And he wasnt undiscipline in action just in some of his attitudes towards superior (or junior) officers who are idiots.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

good point.

i think what i meant is that cam would SEE them as screw ups and crackpots.

sam, possessed by 2 different aliens who, it could be argued, got ahead by her connections.

daniel, compromised by his love for an alien, who's died multiple times and traveled to another plane of existence

teal'c, an alien general in his own right who willingly submits himself to the authority of humans??? and why?

Cameron could SEE sg-1 as questionable at best, and see this whole aliens bit as complete and total crap. He could have even been someone of Kinsey's ilk. holding total disdain for the SGC.

and then set s9 against that tension and those interpersonal struggles. Have each member of sg1 have to make their peace iwth cam, and have cam have to reconcile his opinoins and beliefs with what he's really experiencing.

It would have added some interpersonal conflict, which the show desperately needed. and would have been more realisitc than the endless cambo kumbaya session that we got

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell View Post
          BINGO!! Jonas EARNED his place on SG-1 in Season 6! The recipe for success was already there for TPTB to develop Cam. But, Cam HAD to be catapulted to the LEAD role before his character was accepted by SG-1 and the FANS!!! **cough cough** Didn't we already have an established lead with Sam under whom Cam could LEARN and EARN his place on the TEAM?!! Instead, TPTB chose a half-baked recipe and it was a disaster for the series!!!
          I guess that is what bothers me the most. He didn't earn his postion. He was totally accepted as leader of SG-1 without question or doubt. TPTB wanted Mitchell as the leader but Sam was in the way. They couldn't have their hero as 2IC under a woman. So the team was dissolved. They shipped Sam off to Area 51 to be brought back under Mitchell. AT maturnity leave just made it easier for them. But a good portion of the fans didn't buy it, therefore they had to do some back peddling claiming that Sam and Mitchell were co-leaders.

IMO there really isn't a leader of SG-1 because SG-1 isn't really a team anymore.
          Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

they're just a bunch of people all wearing the same patches on their arms

jack and the character interactions that we had in s1-8 are what made it a team. now that coop is in charge and pushing plot ahead of characters, and that jack, and the human element created by character interactions, are gone, there is no more team.

it's just people in uniforms

for years, fans tuned in to watch the team and how they handled situations. and those character interactions were so good, they could cover up the sometimes silly plots and situations and aliens. cause we weren't watching for the stellar effects, we were watching to see how jack, sam, daniel and teal'c dealt with those situations.

but now that the interactions is gone, all that's left is the plot. and it can't hold up under any sort of scrutiny.

good characters adn interactions could save a crappy plot. but when all that's left is the crappy plot, what's there to watch???

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              they're just a bunch of people all wearing the same patches on their arms

jack and the character interactions that we had in s1-8 are what made it a team. now that coop is in charge and pushing plot ahead of characters, and that jack, and the human element created by character interactions, are gone, there is no more team.

it's just people in uniforms

for years, fans tuned in to watch the team and how they handled situations. and those character interactions were so good, they could cover up the sometimes silly plots and situations and aliens. cause we weren't watching for the stellar effects, we were watching to see how jack, sam, daniel and teal'c dealt with those situations.

but now that the interactions is gone, all that's left is the plot. and it can't hold up under any sort of scrutiny.

good characters adn interactions could save a crappy plot. but when all that's left is the crappy plot, what's there to watch???
              Vala in skimpy outfits and "golden boy" Mitchell

Comment

Originally posted by ccdsah View Post
                Vala in skimpy outfits and "golden boy" Mitchell
                No! No! say it isn't so!

*Runs away looking for a place to bury my head in the sand*
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

(Good looking) Women in skimpy outfits and cool action sequences?
                  Signed,

Gregorius
                  Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                  Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

sounds like baywatch.

at least they haven't sunk to the 'music video' to kill time

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                      I guess that is what bothers me the most. He didn't earn his postion. He was totally accepted as leader of SG-1 without question or doubt. TPTB wanted Mitchell as the leader but Sam was in the way. They couldn't have their hero as 2IC under a woman. So the team was dissolved. They shipped Sam off to Area 51 to be brought back under Mitchell. AT maturnity leave just made it easier for them. But a good portion of the fans didn't buy it, therefore they had to do some back peddling claiming that Sam and Mitchell were co-leaders.
                      Mitchell's position was too weak to allow the other characters to question it - if, for example, Daniel had done as he did in "Shades of Grey" and pointed out that Sam should be in command, there would have been no way whatsoever that any other character could have argued that Mitchell was better suited to and/or more deserving of the job.

I don't think that TPTB ever thought that Sam being demoted would be a problem for viewers - something I find exceptionally disturbing - but even when they knew it, they made no move to rectify the situation, something that would have been possible at any point during Season Nine except to claim that Sam and Mitchell were co-leaders and to try to show a situation where there is no leader.

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                      IMO there really isn't a leader of SG-1 because SG-1 isn't really a team anymore.
                      Sad but true.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                        I don't think that TPTB ever thought that Sam being demoted would be a problem for viewers - something I find exceptionally disturbing - but even when they knew it, they made no move to rectify the situation, something that would have been possible at any point during Season Nine except to claim that Sam and Mitchell were co-leaders and to try to show a situation where there is no leader.

Sad but true.

that's a sad point. and i think it's something that's carried over on all the female roles on the two shows, along with how some of the male roles are written.

to these boys, whom i feel have a very immature point of view on gender roles

it's 'normal' for a man to be over a woman, even an unqualified man over a more qualified woman

it's 'normal' and a joke for a man to use drugs to entice a female to have sex with him. just as - as long as the woman is good looking - it's ok for a female to entice a guy into sex or to harrass him sexually

it's 'normal' for the sum of a woman's existence to be who she's paired up with. She's little more than the other half of _____ & ______

It's 'normal' for a female to serve no purpose beyond wearing skimpy costumes and looking pretty

It's 'normal' for a female, even if she's the boss, to be submissive to a male under her command, cause, you know, men are the real bosses in the world

these BOYS, and that's just how they write, as BOYS, seem to have some very real issues dealing with a woman as anything more than a cliche. If she's not the maternal figure, the sex object, half of a couple, bimbo of the week, then they really don't know what to do with them.

sigpic

Comment

that's a sad point. and i think it's something that's carried over on all the female roles on the two shows, along with how some of the male roles are written.

to these boys, whom i feel have a very immature point of view on gender roles

it's 'normal' for a man to be over a woman, even an unqualified man over a more qualified woman

it's 'normal' and a joke for a man to use drugs to entice a female to have sex with him. just as - as long as the woman is good looking - it's ok for a female to entice a guy into sex or to harrass him sexually

it's 'normal' for the sum of a woman's existence to be who she's paired up with. She's little more than the other half of _____ & ______

It's 'normal' for a female to serve no purpose beyond wearing skimpy costumes and looking pretty

It's 'normal' for a female, even if she's the boss, to be submissive to a male under her command, cause, you know, men are the real bosses in the world

these BOYS, and that's just how they write, as BOYS, seem to have some very real issues dealing with a woman as anything more than a cliche. If she's not the maternal figure, the sex object, half of a couple, bimbo of the week, then they really don't know what to do with them.
                          Sounds like the show would have benefitted from new writers, directors and producers - ones who didn't belong to the immature boy's club.

Comment

sounds like baywatch.

at least they haven't sunk to the 'music video' to kill time
                            SHHH! don't give them any ideas!
                            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

they'll never do it. the rights to use the music would cost too much

unless, of course, one of tptb happens to have a family member who has a band....

EEK!!!!

oh well, atleast i can rest secure in the knowledge that the shows are in the can and the damage is done. nothing i can do or say can alter the last 10 eps

and anyway, unless i happen to grow some male anatomy, i'm just a woman with issues who's too stupid to talk to

sigpic

Comment

and anyway, unless i happen to grow some male anatomy, i'm just a woman with issues who's too stupid to talk to
                                You mean they're actually listening to men who don't like the tripe they've been producing?

Or are they considered honourary women with issues?

Comment

Working...
                                X