• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post

[COLOR]Happy Birthday, kusanagi! Glad you joined our little family![/COLOR]
    Thank you so much!! It's good to be here
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
      It continues in the warehouse scene, too. The guys are upset, but Sam looks like she has been/is about to be crying. It's just...

*sob*
      I saw it as well. It breaks my heart every time I watch it
      sigpic

Comment

Was the title of Sam's doctoral thesis ever mentioned in the show?
        I don't think so. . . Not that I remember.
        sigpic
        My Stories: FFdotNet
        My Stories AO3
        Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
          I don't think so. . . Not that I remember.
          Magnets?
          sigpic

Comment

Only slightly OT, but on topic for our discussion yesterday about the validity of drawing in elements other than the simple 'what they said and did' in interpreting film which applies to TV as well here.

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but AstraPerAspera posted a new story, Threshold.

Yes, that's right. Fluff and gutter. Virtually no angst.

Amazing, no?

Comment

Magnets?
                That would have been Jack's! LOL

Because, you know, he's irresistibly drawn to Sam. Makes sense to me!
                sigpic
                My Stories AO3

Comment

Amazing, no?
                  Very nice. Thanks for linking!
                  sigpic
                  My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                    That would have been Jack's! LOL

Because, you know, he's irresistibly drawn to Sam. Makes sense to me!
                    Maybe that's where he got the idea from
                    sigpic

Comment

Amazing, no?
                      yes its amazing haha. i really liked it thanks for sharing
                      sigpic
                      thanks sg4ever for the awesome icon!!! (dont steal it!!!) My FanFic

Comment

Amazing, no?

Thanks for sharing!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Only slightly OT, but on topic for our discussion yesterday about the validity of drawing in elements other than the simple 'what they said and did' in interpreting film which applies to TV as well here.
                          First I want to say, hey it was from this months Michigan Today. Shout out to Michigan.

Second, thank you for the link Jenn. I definitely agree with the last paragraph, because of you and Pol's analysis of directing, it has definitely helped me to appreciate more of what is on screen.

From the article -
                          "Why do so? Over time, this skill actually enhances and deepens the film experience. The old word for developing the ability to understand artistic technique was "appreciation"—as in, "art appreciation," "music appreciation" and, yes, movie appreciation. It's possible to enjoy movies without this knowledge, but once you have it, you can really savor the elements that make really great directors and their films so good. "

Back to Sam and Jack -
                          Having discussed directing, I was wondering about a certain scene in Grace. When the character of Grace is introduced, she is shown full body shot, but when they cut to Sam, she is zoomed in on mainly her eyes. What is the director trying to accomplish with that shot? A more personal relationship with the Grace character? Maybe, not the inner child, but the child she wants to have. And based on the episode and that 'she deserves more', maybe Grace is the idea of a child with Jack.
                          sigpic
                          I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Having discussed directing, I was wondering about a certain scene in Grace. When the character of Grace is introduced, she is shown full body shot, but when they cut to Sam, she is zoomed in on mainly her eyes. What is the director trying to accomplish with that shot? A more personal relationship with the Grace character? Maybe, not the inner child, but the child she wants to have. And based on the episode and that 'she deserves more', maybe Grace is the idea of a child with Jack.
                            You know--about this whole Who is Grace? thing (shades of Ayn Rand--Who is John Galt?)--I was thinking the other day about the line that Sam says to Jack once--that he has the ability to see things at their "simplest" (in reaction to her having the ability to pull brilliant ideas out of her. . .head). Perhaps that shot is the director's way of saying that Grace is actually Sam at her simplest--"Look at things through a child's eye."

Grace does sort of whittle things down to their most basic point. So perhaps she's subconscious Sam--the part that doesn't think too much. If you really think about it, all of her delusions are really kind of acting simply--like children. Daniel, with his "talk to the cloud", Teal'c and "if you sleep, you will die", and even Jacob telling her to just "be happy". So Grace is Grace--salvation--wrapped up in childlike characteristics. Religiously, the concept of Grace is simple--the caring result of parent making up the difference for child-like effort--and this still fits into that symbolic mien, too. That Sam, by seeing things as their simplest, can then make a more adult jump from all that advice into her own salvation.

Too long a leap?
                            sigpic
                            My Stories AO3

Comment

Re: Sam's thesis

Maybe I saw the title in a fanfic
                              It's sometimes hard to tell what's canon and what not...
                              "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                              "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Re: Sam's thesis

Maybe I saw the title in a fanfic
                                It's sometimes hard to tell what's canon and what not...
                                I've made up a Master's Thesis title for Jack in a Team Building chapter, but I haven't ever seen a dissertation topic/title for Sam.
                                sigpic
                                My Stories AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X