Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
    Ha! So true!

I've always thought that that it's kind of funny that Sam's the one who gets called a genius, but (this is mainly just my interpretation) it's always seemed to me that she's not really a genius by nature, but that she was a great student and worked her tail off to get the opportunities she's gotten (though I also think Sam was always exceptionally bright). "Prodigy" is really the episode that gives me this feeling, but that's of course never really stated.

Daniel doesn't seem to have that same genius stigma (though to be fair, it's mainly Jack who calls Sam a genius...), but to me, he's the one that seems to have a superhuman intellect. I mean, really ... 23 languages?

Well you don't have to be genius exactly to know so many languages, you only have to be gifted to learn them. What I mean is my sister in law can speak about 13 languages and she is 25 years old. When I asked her how she do it, she told me she really had to learn 5 languages and the rest is for her mostly the same with some nuances. But it depends on the definition of genius :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Houndy Magnus View Post
      Well you don't have to be genius exactly to know so many languages, you only have to be gifted to learn them. What I mean is my sister in law can speak about 13 languages and she is 25 years old. When I asked her how she do it, she told me she really had to learn 5 languages and the rest is for her mostly the same with some nuances. But it depends on the definition of genius :-D

I learned Latin, then Spanish, had several semesters of Russian which meant when it was fresh I could understand Croatian and Polish as well, I can read a French newspaper if I have to (minus the subtleties), understand Dutch.
      Yeah, so far no problems and I can fumble my way around half of this globe.

But Daniel speaks Aramaeic, ancient Egyptian and what not including all the intricacies of those languages and different scripts.

The thing about languages is that if you don't practice them you forget a lot very quickly.
      Daniel just pulls everything out of his sleeve. One look at a wall of cuneiform writing and he gives you a quick rundown of what it says. *right*

No genius at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
        I learned Latin, then Spanish, had several semesters of Russian which meant when it was fresh I could understand Croatian and Polish as well, I can read a French newspaper if I have to (minus the subtleties), understand Dutch.

But Daniel speaks Aramaeic, ancient Egyptian and what not including all the intricacies of those languages and different scripts.

The thing about languages is that if you don't practice them you forget a lot very quickly.
        Daniel just pulls everything out of his sleeve. One look at a wall of cuneiform writing and he gives you a quick rundown of what it says. *right*

No genius at all.
        Well, if he speaks all 23 as 'fluent' as he does German, then I can't say I believe him...
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Prayers for Paris tonight and especially for any GateWorlders there.

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
          Here are the most recent vote totals from about the middle of last month.

Shipsgiving and Shipmas;

November 7
          November 14
          November 21 - 6
          November 28
          (Thanksgiving weekend)

December 5
          December 12 - 5
          December 19
          December 26 - 2
          Well, if Shipgiving is going to happen at all, it looks like it'll be next weekend! I'll commit to opening and closing the thread, but does anyone artistically-minded want to whip up some sigs/avies for people to use to promote the event?
          sigpic
          The Return of King Arthur
          Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
          acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Well, if Shipgiving is going to happen at all, it looks like it'll be next weekend! I'll commit to opening and closing the thread, but does anyone artistically-minded want to whip up some sigs/avies for people to use to promote the event?
            Has anyone signed up for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse View Post
              Has anyone signed up for this?
              Nope! Would you like to do the honors?
              sigpic
              The Return of King Arthur
              Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
              acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Nope! Would you like to do the honors?
                Yes, please

Comment

Prayers for Paris tonight and especially for any GateWorlders there.
                  Delurking to say thanks. I live in the suburbs around Paris and my sister and her boyfriend were at a café in Paris when it happened. Then, they went to her boyfriend's flat... which is located near the Bataclan. I'm so glad nothing happened to them.
                  We live in a crazy scary era.
                  My Tumblr.
                  My Tumblr Art Blog.
                  My Deviantart page.

Comment

We do indeed live in a crazy scary era. I'm glad your sister and her boyfriend are safe.

~

For Shipsgiving:

Comment

Looks great, SCIMM! I'll share on Twitter.
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                        Looks great, SCIMM! I'll share on Twitter.
                        Thanks, fems

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post

No genius at all.
                          Recently, I googled a search for the highest IQs in the world; I watch Scorpion and wanted to see if Walter's claim to have the 4th highest IQ in the world was accurate. It isn't. In fact, there are at least half a dozen other people in the world with much higher IQs than he has. Anyway, one of those people with a higher IQ apparently knows and speaks 43 languages. Maybe speaking many languages has something to do with a higher IQ.

Comment

We do indeed live in a crazy scary era. I'm glad your sister and her boyfriend are safe.

~

For Shipsgiving:

http://an-c.dk/at/gateworld/shipsgiv...700x500-gw.jpg

http://an-c.dk/at/gateworld/shipsgiv...15-600x180.jpg
                            No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                            It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

~

For Shipsgiving:

http://an-c.dk/at/gateworld/shipsgiv...700x500-gw.jpg

http://an-c.dk/at/gateworld/shipsgiv...15-600x180.jpg
                              Love those! Cannot wait.
                              sigpic

Comment

Thank you - I just discovered that I'd misspelled November

Comment

Working...
                                X