Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sigpic

Comment

Did we ever decide on when Shipsgiving (and Shipmas) is and who'll organize it?
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        As far as I know, no, I don't believe that we have. I can't make pretty art, but if we're still looking for people to organize one or both events, I'd be willing to do that.
        sigpic
        The Return of King Arthur
        Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
        acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Episode of the Week

The Torment of Tantalus
          sigpic
          Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
            Episode of the Week

The Torment of Tantalus
            Argh, my main problem with the episode is that Carter hardly looks at the device that might hold all the answers to the universe.
            She's an astrophysicist and that device and its content could have given her so much info but it's Daniel who is obsessing about it.
            That is so *wrong* IMO.

I know that Sam was busy getting the gate to work, she had her orders and time was running out but still, I find it hard to believe that she didn't even have a passing interest in it.
            Last edited by Fresh_Horse; 09 November 2015, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
              As far as I know, no, I don't believe that we have. I can't make pretty art, but if we're still looking for people to organize one or both events, I'd be willing to do that.
              Here are the most recent vote totals from about the middle of last month.

Shipsgiving and Shipmas;

November 7
              November 14
              November 21 - 6
              November 28
              (Thanksgiving weekend)

December 5
              December 12 - 5
              December 19
              December 26 - 2
              No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
              It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
                Argh, my main problem with the episode is that Carter hardly looks at the device that might hold all the answers to the universe.
                She's an astrophysicist and that device and its content could have given her so much info but it's Daniel who is obsessing about it.
                That is so *wrong* IMO.

I know that Sam was busy getting the gate to work, she had her orders and time was running out but still, I find it hard to believe that she didn't even have a passing interest in it.
                I agree completely. It never made sense to me that she barely looked at the device, let alone try to figure out how it worked.

Comment

I always enjoyed this episode.
                  1. I like how the music changed a little to show that this is the past.
                  2. Turning the gate manually. Foreshadowing!
                  3. Daniel messing with people's artifacts...heh.
                  4. Why is Hammond in dress blues?
                  5. Ernest didn't look too happy that Kathryn solved the problem.
                  6. Ernest didn't seem like a very good man. But I am looking at it from a 2015 perspective.
                  7. Choosing duty (work) over desire. A continuing theme of SG-1.
                  8. Teal'c uses "the Goa'uld" as plural but everybody else uses "Goa'ulds". I wonder when they stopped?
                  9. Jack showing his gentleman side with Kathryn.
                  10. Enrest's relief.
                  11. Epic romantic reunion!!! Or not...
                  12. "I don't thik the heart ever grows old." A little insight into Sam's romantic beliefs.
                  13. Kathryn and Ernest are breaking my heart! He never let her go. His imagining of her got him through! Yet she let him go...because of a lie.
                  14. Jack's disappointment over the probe not showing the damage. Sam's defensiveness of the situation. See below.
                  15. Ernest slowly regaining his ability to speak properly.
                  16. "Atomic things"? Come on, Jack. You're smarter than that!
                  17. When they landed at the bottom of the stairs, it looked like Jack was shielding Sam a little.
                  18. They just happened to have all that cable and wire with them?
                  19. There was a lot of leaping in this episode.
                  20. Sam working on a computer model of the device.

I think that the Kathryn/Ernest romance could be interpreted as an AU version of Sam/Jack. Both very involved with their work to the point that they are willing to give up happiness. Even Ernest being trapped off world for fifty years is plausible.

Now, what everybody is talking about with Sam having no interest in the device. I think that her behavior in this episode makes a lot of sense if you look closely at events.

Notice when they discover that the DHD is broken. Jack is angry that the probe didn't record this. Sam's reply is a little defensive. After that she becomes completely fixated on solving the problem of them getting home.Sam probably still feels that she needs to prove herself to him.
                  Looking back on previous episodes, this is the first time that her expertise truly comes into play. Only she can solve the problem of how to get energy for the gate. That, added to her personal sense of failure thanks to Jack's reaction, it makes sense that she would focus only on the problem. Also, as later episodes show, Sam can have tunnel vision when she is trying to solve a problem.
                  Further evidence of this is her tiny satisfied smile when it seems like the first solution would work. After that it was further failure, and that probably made her even more focused.
                  It is worth noting that at the end of the episode Sam is not there to see if they could return to the planet. She is already working on a computer model from Ernest and Daniel's notes. Now that the problem is solved and she succeeded she can focus on it. Jack probably had to drag her away from those notes.

Comment

Lots of good points, Gwen! Sam definitely gets tunnelvision when trying to figure out a problem. It's just too bad that the place was destroyed and Sam and Daniel didn't get another chance to examine the device.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen1984 View Post
                      I always enjoyed this episode.
                      Now, what everybody is talking about with Sam having no interest in the device. I think that her behavior in this episode makes a lot of sense if you look closely at events.

Notice when they discover that the DHD is broken. Jack is angry that the probe didn't record this. Sam's reply is a little defensive. After that she becomes completely fixated on solving the problem of them getting home.Sam probably still feels that she needs to prove herself to him.
                      Looking back on previous episodes, this is the first time that her expertise truly comes into play. Only she can solve the problem of how to get energy for the gate. That, added to her personal sense of failure thanks to Jack's reaction, it makes sense that she would focus only on the problem. Also, as later episodes show, Sam can have tunnel vision when she is trying to solve a problem.
                      Further evidence of this is her tiny satisfied smile when it seems like the first solution would work. After that it was further failure, and that probably made her even more focused.
                      I get that and I have seen similar reasoning but the explanation still doesn't work for me.
                      Or maybe what doesn't work for me is that the archaeologist is more interested in something that should be of interest to the astrophysicist.

They need this dynamic for the episode to work or to give everyone something to do (while Teal'c carries heavy stuff).
                      If Sam didn't work at getting the power to work they would not get off the planet.

It doesn't help that too much focusing on Daniel turns me off.
                      More often than not his actions get the team into trouble. His self-righteousness is highly annoying.
                      In ToT he creates more problems by trying to stay behind.

I just want to smack him.

Comment

I get that and I have seen similar reasoning but the explanation still doesn't work for me.
                        Or maybe what doesn't work for me is that the archaeologist is more interested in something that should be of interest to the astrophysicist.

They need this dynamic for the episode to work or to give everyone something to do (while Teal'c carries heavy stuff).
                        If Sam didn't work at getting the power to work they would not get off the planet.

More often than not his actions get the team into trouble. His self-righteousness is highly annoying.

I feel the same about Daniel episodes. This and Lifeline are the only ones I really like.

May I as why you feel that it should be of more interest to an astrophysicist than an anthropologist? I'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen1984 View Post
                          I feel the same about Daniel episodes. This and Lifeline are the only ones I really like.

May I as why you feel that it should be of more interest to an astrophysicist than an anthropologist? I'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just curious.
                          The thing is I actually like the episode although you have to overlook other things like how did Ernest survive (food, water, shelter)? The building doesn't exactly look very cozy. He would have frozen to death in winter but I digress.
                          The device seems to hold the answers to a lot of things, Daniel simply phrases it "meaning of life stuff" but when they show the first few "pages" of the device, it starts somewhat basic with chemistry and math so those who read it know where to start and have a common language.
                          It's not just "meaning of life" but creation of everything in the universe. If that doesn't scream "astrophysics" I don't know what would?!

Archaeologists/anthropologists aren't necessarily physics majors or chemists but knowing that there are far more elements than the ones we have discovered could change or lead to breakthroughs in astrophysics. It's not just knowing or suspecting that there are more elements but having them handed to you in 3D!

The part of the fandom that likes to call Carter a Mary Sue has no problems believing that Daniel speaks 23 languages, can read just about any earth or alien script and is now also versed in chemistry and math.

As I mentioned before, I do understand that for the episode to work, Daniel had to be the one being interested while Sam needs to get the gate running.
                          She could never start the kind of discussion with Jack that Daniel can given her rank. Aside from that it would be ooc for her.
                          So it's Daniel's job to drive the episode.
                          It just feels *off* for me. *shrug*

Hope this makes sense.
                          Last edited by Fresh_Horse; 11 November 2015, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Archaeologists/anthropologists aren't necessarily physics majors or chemists but knowing that there are far more elements than the ones we have discovered could change or lead to breakthroughs in astrophysics. It's not just knowing or suspecting that there are more elements but having them handed to you in 3D!

The part of the fandom that likes to call Carter a Mary Sue has no problems believing that Daniel speaks 23 languages, can read just about any earth or alien script and is now also versed in chemistry and math.
                            Ha! So true!

I've always thought that that it's kind of funny that Sam's the one who gets called a genius, but (this is mainly just my interpretation) it's always seemed to me that she's not really a genius by nature, but that she was a great student and worked her tail off to get the opportunities she's gotten (though I also think Sam was always exceptionally bright). "Prodigy" is really the episode that gives me this feeling, but that's of course never really stated.

Daniel doesn't seem to have that same genius stigma (though to be fair, it's mainly Jack who calls Sam a genius...), but to me, he's the one that seems to have a superhuman intellect. I mean, really ... 23 languages?
                            sigpic

Comment

Can I help?

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                                Here are the most recent vote totals from about the middle of last month.

Shipsgiving and Shipmas;

November 7
                                November 14
                                November 21 - 6
                                November 28
                                (Thanksgiving weekend)

December 5
                                December 12 - 5
                                December 19
                                December 26 - 2

I believe I already voted.
                                sigpic