No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you so much, SCIMM! They are beautiful! I love that photo you used, but I’m curious as to what the original photo looks like. Could you post it here?

I only ask because I feel like I’ve only ever seen it in black-and-white (though I think Mala50 had one that she colored herself):

sigpic
    The Return of King Arthur
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
    acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Actually can we just take a second to talk about how much I love the other photo from this same photoshoot?

I'm not sure which season this is a promo for, but the hair (the best indicator!) makes me think it was for Season 4. Michael's is short, Rick's is shorter than Season 3, and Amanda's is slightly longer.

I'm fairly certain it's the only photoshoot they've ever done with the actors out of costume. In Season 10, they did a promo with them in civilian clothes, but it was still very formal poses and clearly in character. I love this shoot because you aren't completely sure if you're looking at Jack/Sam/Daniel/Teal'c or Rick/Amanda/Michael/Chris, or maybe a little of both.

Long ago I remember one shipper saying that they loved this photo because it looks like a representation of the characters' inner desires/personalities. That really struck me, so I expounded on that a bit.

Outwardly, SG-1 is made up of a rough and gruff colonel leading a solitary existence after the loss of his family, a fiercely intelligent officer/scientist who's out to prove she can do anything and everything her male counterparts can, a scholar forced to become a soldier after his wife's abduction, and a stoic former slave fighting to right the wrongs of his past.

However, if they weren’t fighting to protect Earth, if they weren’t bound by rules, if they were able to do what they wanted, who would these people become?

Teal’c, unfettered by the very symbol that marked him as a servant of the Goa’uld, no longer stands out as an alien among the people of Earth. His wide smile showcases his true personality, the humorous and lighthearted one that enjoys Jaffa jokes and “undomesticated equines.”

Daniel, unneeded as soldier, returns to the more solitary life of a scholar, the life of exploration and discovery that defined his life before he became involved in the Stargate program. His job is no longer defined by finding practical information to use against the enemy, but knowledge for knowledge’s sake. He’s still close to his friends, but his identity isn’t derived from his position on SG-1.

Sam, no longer feeling the need to prove herself, allows herself to lean on Jack: not because she needs to, but because she wants and chooses to. Her feminine side shows through much more clearly when she’s off duty, and while she knows her worth as an officer and scientist, she also begins to recognize herself as a woman, a partner, and perhaps even a wife and mother.

Jack, a family man left utterly alone, has his life redefined by these people: Daniel pulls him out of his destructive past, Teal’c fights side-by-side with him in the present, and Sam gives him a future. His past still haunts him, but he has found new reasons to live. These teammates have become his new family: Daniel and Teal’c his brothers, Sam his partner, lover, and more. He clasps her hand protectively, not possessively, fully recognizing the treasure that she is, and his nonchalant stance and cheeky smirk belie how much these people mean to him.

sigpic
      Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways

Comment

Episode of the Week

Bloodlines
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
          Thank you so much, SCIMM! They are beautiful! I love that photo you used, but I’m curious as to what the original photo looks like. Could you post it here?

I only ask because I feel like I’ve only ever seen it in black-and-white (though I think Mala50 had one that she colored herself):

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...pse33iyejt.jpg
          I found the photo here, it's 800x1000. If this version is Mala50's work, then I apologize for using it without asking, but I did not know it wasn't the official version.

I love your headcanon about the other photo

Comment

Actually can we just take a second to talk about how much I love the other photo from this same photoshoot?

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...psvvygxwkh.jpg
            Spoiler:

I'm not sure which season this is a promo for, but the hair (the best indicator!) makes me think it was for Season 4. Michael's is short, Rick's is shorter than Season 3, and Amanda's is slightly longer.

I'm fairly certain it's the only photoshoot they've ever done with the actors out of costume. In Season 10, they did a promo with them in civilian clothes, but it was still very formal poses and clearly in character. I love this shoot because you aren't completely sure if you're looking at Jack/Sam/Daniel/Teal'c or Rick/Amanda/Michael/Chris, or maybe a little of both.

Long ago I remember one shipper saying that they loved this photo because it looks like a representation of the characters' inner desires/personalities. That really struck me, so I expounded on that a bit.

Outwardly, SG-1 is made up of a rough and gruff colonel leading a solitary existence after the loss of his family, a fiercely intelligent officer/scientist who's out to prove she can do anything and everything her male counterparts can, a scholar forced to become a soldier after his wife's abduction, and a stoic former slave fighting to right the wrongs of his past.

However, if they weren’t fighting to protect Earth, if they weren’t bound by rules, if they were able to do what they wanted, who would these people become?

Teal’c, unfettered by the very symbol that marked him as a servant of the Goa’uld, no longer stands out as an alien among the people of Earth. His wide smile showcases his true personality, the humorous and lighthearted one that enjoys Jaffa jokes and “undomesticated equines.”

Daniel, unneeded as soldier, returns to the more solitary life of a scholar, the life of exploration and discovery that defined his life before he became involved in the Stargate program. His job is no longer defined by finding practical information to use against the enemy, but knowledge for knowledge’s sake. He’s still close to his friends, but his identity isn’t derived from his position on SG-1.

Sam, no longer feeling the need to prove herself, allows herself to lean on Jack: not because she needs to, but because she wants and chooses to. Her feminine side shows through much more clearly when she’s off duty, and while she knows her worth as an officer and scientist, she also begins to recognize herself as a woman, a partner, and perhaps even a wife and mother.

Jack, a family man left utterly alone, has his life redefined by these people: Daniel pulls him out of his destructive past, Teal’c fights side-by-side with him in the present, and Sam gives him a future. His past still haunts him, but he has found new reasons to live. These teammates have become his new family: Daniel and Teal’c his brothers, Sam his partner, lover, and more. He clasps her hand protectively, not possessively, fully recognizing the treasure that she is, and his nonchalant stance and cheeky smirk belie how much these people mean to him.

Love your explanation of the pic.
            No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
            It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              Recently, I googled a search for the highest IQs in the world; I watch Scorpion and wanted to see if Walter's claim to have the 4th highest IQ in the world was accurate. It isn't. In fact, there are at least half a dozen other people in the world with much higher IQs than he has. Anyway, one of those people with a higher IQ apparently knows and speaks 43 languages. Maybe speaking many languages has something to do with a higher IQ.
              This is interesting! 43?!
              Yet, it makes me wonder why they didn't have Rodney McKay on Atlantis speak several languages.
              Did they ever mention what Daniel's IQ on the show is? I also wonder how it compares to Sam's. It also makes me wonder what Jack's is since he obviously plays down his intelligence. I like to think that at one point in their relationship Sam lets him know that he doesn't have to do that.

Comment

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo330/SamJackShipper93/Stargate%20Behind-the-Scenes/OffDutyCom_zpsvvygxwkh.jpg

Tried to green you for this, but it wouldn't let me. Wonderful insights. Great points.

Episode of the Week

Bloodlines
                Woot! Teal'c episode! Sorry, he's my favorite character. I'll have to see if I can carve out 45 minutes to watch.

Originally posted by Gwen1984 View Post
                This is interesting! 43?!
                Yet, it makes me wonder why they didn't have Rodney McKay on Atlantis speak several languages.
                Did they ever mention what Daniel's IQ on the show is? I also wonder how it compares to Sam's. It also makes me wonder what Jack's is since he obviously plays down his intelligence. I like to think that at one point in their relationship Sam lets him know that he doesn't have to do that.
                The thing with intelligence is it comes in many and varied forms. The show never comes out and says "My IQ is .X." for any of the characters. But it's definitely shown how so and so is genius with one intelligence and character y is genius with another.

Wow! When I decide to de-lurk, I go for it!
                sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

When do you guys suppose Jack first started liking Sam, not as a romantic interest but as a friend? It's clear that he cares for her when he hugs her in Fire and Water, but likely it began earlier than that, though I can't pinpoint when. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Claire98909 View Post
                    When do you guys suppose Jack first started liking Sam, not as a romantic interest but as a friend? It's clear that he cares for her when he hugs her in Fire and Water, but likely it began earlier than that, though I can't pinpoint when. Thoughts?
                    I'm thinking that he might have began to between The Enemy Within and Emancipation, but he didn't really allow himself to have more friends until after Cold Lazarus.

Comment

Fic rec cause it's too quiet!

I don't know how I missed this gem by Annerb, but I'm glad I found it now!

Embrace the angst ... lots and lots of angst ...

Exodus
                      sigpic

Comment

^ It doesn't seem to be a new one, but I haven't read that either.
                        Thank you! Now I certainly won't be bored during the weekend
                        sigpic

Comment

I just finished it. Very good! Angst! Shippiness! All the good stuff!
                          sigpic

Comment

Spread the word! Shipgiving starts tomorrow!

What made you happy today?
                            sigpic

Comment

Spread the word! Shipgiving starts tomorrow!

What made you happy today?

I forgot Shipsgiving is tomorrow and now I'm happy because you reminded me! Yay!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by houghtam View Post

I forgot Shipsgiving is tomorrow and now I'm happy because you reminded me! Yay!!!
                                Hooray! So glad!

I'm happy because GW's gone Hunger Games theme, and I love Gale!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X