No announcement yet.

Tok'ra Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with that - I can't even watch sappy vids (and usually not read fics either) for ships that I really like. I really don't like sappy.

Even though Sam/Martouf/Lantash is my OTP I have stopped reading several fics with them - and stopped watching a couple vids, simple because it turned fluffy or sappy. Yeach.

-Skadi
    sigpic
    Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

Nice Tok'ra vids!
      sigpic
      Thanks to Roeskva for the smilies

Comment

Originally posted by Skadi View Post
        I agree with that - I can't even watch sappy vids (and usually not read fics either) for ships that I really like. I really don't like sappy.

Even though Sam/Martouf/Lantash is my OTP I have stopped reading several fics with them - and stopped watching a couple vids, simple because it turned fluffy or sappy. Yeach.

-Skadi
        Hmm, I think I agree with you too. I guess it depends on how you define sappy, though—if it gets all mushy and out of character, I really hate it, but if it's just kind of sweet and romantic (for a little while, not a whole story) I don't mind. But it can only be in small doses, and not over the top.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
        ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

I think I'm a bit more of a romantic - but it can certainly be too much fluff and syrupy.
          sigpic
          button and banner made by Luciana SAVE MARTOUF/LANTASH!

Comment

I know the Tok'ra are an illegal underground (literally!) resistance. How do you think they get their resources and food? Hydroponics? Trade? (in which case - what do they trade in)? How do they get the enormous sums needed to set someone up as a system lord, even a minor one? Weapons? Do you think they perhaps find gold and jewels when they dig their tunnels or perhaps they go offworld to mine/grow food?
            sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
              I know the Tok'ra are an illegal underground (literally!) resistance. How do you think they get their resources and food? Hydroponics? Trade? (in which case - what do they trade in)? How do they get the enormous sums needed to set someone up as a system lord, even a minor one? Weapons? Do you think they perhaps find gold and jewels when they dig their tunnels or perhaps they go offworld to mine/grow food?
              I think there's a combination of technology/self-sufficiency and trade.

I don't ever see the Tok'ra totally relying on the Goa'uld or friendly planets, and with their advanced technology, I would assume they have an efficient grow-light or hydroponic system. Plus, just because they generally congregate in underground bases doesn't mean they don't go to the surface. Perhaps they have a farming planet.

I would guess that grains and other overly large crops are probably purchased or stolen from the Goau'ld, though. They could blend in with most societies, unless a Jaffa or Goa'uld is there to sense them, so trade would be feasible. I doubt they bother with currency—there must be artisans among the Tok'ra, though, and most ancient societies did straight trades instead of using money.

As for clothing and supplies, I think it would be the same as for food. Some of it can be traded for (fabric, raw naquadah), others stolen (hand devices, healing devices), and the rest is some combination of the two.

Now, the question of how they set up minor system lords is very intriguing, though. My guess is that the Goa'uld understructure of minor Goa'ulds is very fluid and changing, with exiled or traitorous Goa'ulds declaring/proving their loyalty to the next System Lord to get into his service if they can't become a System Lord on their own. The Tok'ra, obviously, can imitate this. There might also be some assassination and switching places (saying that the Goa'uld had to change hosts), or perhaps some Tok'ra were Goa'uld that switched sides without giving up their positions.

Comment

Chapter 12 of Compromised is up (LJ , FF.net)

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                  Chapter 12 of Compromised is up (LJ , FF.net)
                  Good chapter! I like that Sam hasn't found a new host yet...I want Jolinar to stay in her
                  sigpic Avatar, and icons in sig by Luciana

Favorite love-dodecagon:
                  (See http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=2238)
                  Lantash/Jolinar/Martouf/Sam/Thor/Jack/Kanan/Tea'lc/Junior/Freya/Daniel/Anise

Comment

Originally posted by Snotr View Post
                    Good chapter! I like that Sam hasn't found a new host yet...I want Jolinar to stay in her
                    Well, you know my thoughts on the whole thing. I'm about 80000 words into this story, and it's looking more and more likely that Sam won't find a new host for Jolinar, and at some point she'll have to stop caring.

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                      Well, you know my thoughts on the whole thing. I'm about 80000 words into this story, and it's looking more and more likely that Sam won't find a new host for Jolinar, and at some point she'll have to stop caring.
                      Sounds good

Favorite love-dodecagon:

Comment

Anyone know of any Rosha/Jolinar/Martouf/Lantash ship fics? It is my OTP, but I've actually never seen a fic for it I have been finding fics to nominate for the Isis award (secondary ship fics) and would like to nominate one for that ship.
                        sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
                          Anyone know of any Rosha/Jolinar/Martouf/Lantash ship fics? It is my OTP, but I've actually never seen a fic for it I have been finding fics to nominate for the Isis award (secondary ship fics) and would like to nominate one for that ship.
                          Sorry, I've never seen fics about them either. Would probably be hard to do, as we know next to nothing about Rosha and have only seen Jolinar in a very abnormal situation.

Favorite love-dodecagon:

Comment

Originally posted by Snotr View Post
                            Sorry, I've never seen fics about them either. Would probably be hard to do, as we know next to nothing about Rosha and have only seen Jolinar in a very abnormal situation.
                            True, we don't know them - it would be like original chars and they are not always done well. Still - if you see a story about them, do post the link. Could be fun
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to Roeskva for the smilies

Comment

I did a search on Symbiotica, and got two stories that seem to have Rosha/Jolinar as chars.

Just a matter of time and mind. Chapter 4 has Rosha/Jolinar in it, but I'm not sure how much ship there is. I couldn't figure out the story:
                              http://69.80.208.157/fandomnet/tokra...ry.php?sid=492

The Fall of Setona. Claims to have Rosha/Jolinar/Martouf/Lantash pairing, but I gave up before I got there. It has only Tok'ra or OC chars and takes place before the start of SG-1. I generally don't like OC's and I want at least a couple of the guys from SG-1 in the story to read it. No offense meant - the story seemed well written, it's just seen purely from the Tok'ra pov.
                              http://69.80.208.157/fandomnet/tokra...ry.php?sid=644
                              sigpic
                              button and banner made by Luciana SAVE MARTOUF/LANTASH!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJanson View Post
                                I did a search on Symbiotica, and got two stories that seem to have Rosha/Jolinar as chars.

Just a matter of time and mind. Chapter 4 has Rosha/Jolinar in it, but I'm not sure how much ship there is. I couldn't figure out the story:
                                http://69.80.208.157/fandomnet/tokra...ry.php?sid=492

The Fall of Setona. Claims to have Rosha/Jolinar/Martouf/Lantash pairing, but I gave up before I got there. It has only Tok'ra or OC chars and takes place before the start of SG-1. I generally don't like OC's and I want at least a couple of the guys from SG-1 in the story to read it. No offense meant - the story seemed well written, it's just seen purely from the Tok'ra pov.
                                http://69.80.208.157/fandomnet/tokra...ry.php?sid=644
                                The first is a bit difficult to read. The other doesn't have any reviews, which is usually a bad sign, so I'm not going to bother...but thanks for looking. I may try read the first one.

Favorite love-dodecagon:

Comment

Working...
                                X