No announcement yet.

Tok'ra Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to add that the Goa'uld working undercover for Ba'al on Langara told Jonas that she had genuine feelings for him, even though she'd not long ago have considered the very idea absurd.

We also know that Freya likes Jack, while Anise is more attracted to Daniel on an intellectual level.

Edit: Then there's Kanan and the Lotar...
    Last edited by Jalnor; 25 November 2008, 02:34 PM. Reason: Missed an obvious one

Comment

spamming one more thread with this -isisawards opend voting and they have ship fic for lotsa minor ships. Among otheres Sam/Martouf, Sam/Malek, Martouf/Jolinar (under other/other) and Selmak/Weir (other/oterh in crossovers).

vote for Tok'ra fic - we need to encurage the authors to write more!

http://www.isisawards.net/
      sigpic
      Sig made by the very talented Luciana.

Comment

Originally posted by Jalnor View Post
        I'd like to add that the Goa'uld working undercover for Ba'al on Langara told Jonas that she had genuine feelings for him, even though she'd not long ago have considered the very idea absurd.

We also know that Freya likes Jack, while Anise is more attracted to Daniel on an intellectual level.

Edit: Then there's Kanan and the Lotar...
        True. I forgot about those. The host of the Goa'uld that wanted Jonas is called Kianna, I think?

Seems to be quite a lot of instances with symbiotes falling in love with/wanting humans or other Tok'ra/Goa'uld Not really surprising, given that they have been in human hosts for many generations. They probably think of themselves as humans. That is, after all, what they see in the mirror.
        sigpic
        Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

Originally posted by Skadi View Post
          True. I forgot about those. The host of the Goa'uld that wanted Jonas is called Kianna, I think?

Seems to be quite a lot of instances with symbiotes falling in love with/wanting humans or other Tok'ra/Goa'uld Not really surprising, given that they have been in human hosts for many generations. They probably think of themselves as humans. That is, after all, what they see in the mirror.
          True. I doubt that a snake fresh out of the pond is going to have much interest in romancing a human... and I doubt another symbiote since they are asexual. but once they share a human's emotions for a time... even a goauld that suppresses the host... then they start to take interest in humans and fellow goaulds(tokras) more than just as friends. (do you think they can make friends in the pond? can they communicate with each other?)

Comment

Originally posted by nebulan View Post
            True. I doubt that a snake fresh out of the pond is going to have much interest in romancing a human... and I doubt another symbiote since they are asexual. but once they share a human's emotions for a time... even a goauld that suppresses the host... then they start to take interest in humans and fellow goaulds(tokras) more than just as friends. (do you think they can make friends in the pond? can they communicate with each other?)
            I'm pretty sure they can communicate in the pond. They do make squeels and such - since they are sentient, they almost certainly had a language even before taking a host. Apophis and Amaunet seemed to be romancing and talking before Amaunet had taken a host. And he did actually seem to love her already then, so they must have been chatting - must be strange, with the Jaffa there too, but maybe they don't think about a slave as a person. As far as I know, the rich and noble of Earth didn't care much about what the servants saw and heard, so the Goa'uld are likely not any different.

As for feeling something for humans or each other before taking a host - I am not so sure that they wouldn't. They do, after all, have genetic memory from others of their kinds who had experienced being in a host and who likely thought of themselves as more or less humans.
            That genetic memory is sure to include all sorts of things. They may even - to some degree - feel human, at least mentally - even before taking a host. I could very well imagine them looking with interest on a human/Goa'uld/Tok'ra walking about on the beach of their pond
            sigpic

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

I'm pretty sure they can communicate in the pond. They do make squeels and such - since they are sentient, they almost certainly had a language even before taking a host. Apophis and Amaunet seemed to be romancing and talking before Amaunet had taken a host. And he did actually seem to love her already then, so they must have been chatting - must be strange, with the Jaffa there too, but maybe they don't think about a slave as a person. As far as I know, the rich and noble of Earth didn't care much about what the servants saw and heard, so the Goa'uld are likely not any different.

As for feeling something for humans or each other before taking a host - I am not so sure that they wouldn't. They do, after all, have genetic memory from others of their kinds who had experienced being in a host and who likely thought of themselves as more or less humans.
              That genetic memory is sure to include all sorts of things. They may even - to some degree - feel human, at least mentally - even before taking a host. I could very well imagine them looking with interest on a human/Goa'uld/Tok'ra walking about on the beach of their pond
              I agree - it makes sense they can communicate in the pond. I've even seen fic where the symbiote-kids (larvae? or is that only when they are newborn?) play, talk, and such.
              And I've seen them lust for humans as well, when they are still in the pond (Lantash, I believe it was in the story) - so some authors agree with you.
              sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by RingThing View Post
                spamming one more thread with this -isisawards opend voting and they have ship fic for lotsa minor ships. Among otheres Sam/Martouf, Sam/Malek, Martouf/Jolinar (under other/other) and Selmak/Weir (other/oterh in crossovers).

vote for Tok'ra fic - we need to encurage the authors to write more!

http://www.isisawards.net/
                They seem to have a postponed voting shortly - aparently they forgot to notify the nominees

Skadi...you said symbiotes are genderles not asexual - whats the diference?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RingThing View Post
                  They seem to have a postponed voting shortly - aparently they forgot to notify the nominees

Skadi...you said symbiotes are genderles not asexual - whats the diference?
                  Tok'ra I:
                  Spoiler:

MARTOUF: I'm sure. For one thing, he was a she.
                  SAM: What? You're kidding!
                  MARTOUF: Well, actually, that isn't accurate. The symbiote does not have a gender. However, Jolinar has always been in female hosts.
                  SAM: Well, actually, the host I found him in, her in, was a male.
                  MARTOUF: Really? Must have been another method of hiding from the Ashrak. Tell me of Jolinar's last days.

I am guessing the asexual thing comes from Malek saying that symbiote queens can reproduce asexually.

However, to be asexual means to not experience any sexual desire - it has nothing to do with whether or not the person in question has a gender.
                  The symbiotes (except for the queens, I guess) does not have a gender - except that they do seem to prefer one. Strictly speaking that says nothing about whether or not they have sexual desire (which they clearly seem to have).

It may also be that a change has been made from earlier seasons to later, as most of the lusty symbiotes seems to be in the earlier seasons. Also, we had Hathor needing 'code of life' from the host species to ensure compatibility, as well as Apophis 'seeding the queen mother', whereas later they get the compatibility from putting the larvae in a Jaffa.

A way around for a nitpicker is to say that you can chose to do either - I suppose you can produce more larvae quicker without the 'cumbersome' procuring of code of life - thus they usually just stick the primta in a Jaffa.
                  sigpic

Comment

I was looking at some pictures of Tok'ra, and I noticed that both Anise/Freya, Yosuuf/Garshaw, as well as two other unnamed Tok'ra is wearing a sort of 'necklace' which sometimes has a matching armband. Their necklaces are quite similar.

Any guesses? Could they signify some sort of rank? Be purely adornments?
                    sigpic

Comment

I was looking at some pictures of Tok'ra, and I noticed that both Anise/Freya, Yosuuf/Garshaw, as well as two other unnamed Tok'ra is wearing a sort of 'necklace' which sometimes has a matching armband. Their necklaces are quite similar.

Any guesses? Could they signify some sort of rank? Be purely adornments?
                      No idea, but I'd guess ornament. As a follow-up, do we know the name of the Tok'ra to the left of Cordesh in the last picture (the one whose host he later steals)?

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                      ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Thanx Skadi, Jalnor, nebulan, Hathor_girl for your responses! Now when you mention the specific names of the characters, I do remember some of them - at least Ba'al/Vala and Kanan and his lo'tar. And Martouf and Sam. Didn't know about all the others, but it looks like I was wrong... Looks like I need to rewatch my SG-1 episodes!

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                          No idea, but I'd guess ornament. As a follow-up, do we know the name of the Tok'ra to the left of Cordesh in the last picture (the one whose host he later steals)?
                          We never get her name. Garshaw call him Cordesh when she realises it is him. Garshaw only calls the Tok'ras former host for 'the host'.

By the way - I still don't understand this scene. What happened to the Tok'ra that were in the host before? Did Cordesh remove her this quickly? As far as I understood it was not a quick process before they got the beaming-thingie in Continuum. And to jump in, kill the current occupant and take her place, seems very difficult and dangerous. I know Cordesh was desperate, but he must have lured the female Tok'ra away, drugged her, and somehow managed to remove the symbiote
                          sigpic

Comment

We never get her name. Garshaw call him Cordesh when she realises it is him. Garshaw only calls the Tok'ras former host for 'the host'.

By the way - I still don't understand this scene. What happened to the Tok'ra that were in the host before? Did Cordesh remove her this quickly? As far as I understood it was not a quick process before they got the beaming-thingie in Continuum. And to jump in, kill the current occupant and take her place, seems very difficult and dangerous. I know Cordesh was desperate, but he must have lured the female Tok'ra away, drugged her, and somehow managed to remove the symbiote
                            It's a tricky question, for sure. Although, I would imagine that the symbiote itself is very vulnerable if you could get to it. Cordesh could go in the body, bite the Tok'ra, and then take her place while she was dying—assuming he could negate the poison that escapes on death. Other than the poison, I don't see it as being too dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                              It's a tricky question, for sure. Although, I would imagine that the symbiote itself is very vulnerable if you could get to it. Cordesh could go in the body, bite the Tok'ra, and then take her place while she was dying—assuming he could negate the poison that escapes on death. Other than the poison, I don't see it as being too dangerous.
                              I saw the episode recenly. Don't think it takes that long to remove the symbiote. Garshaw tells them to remove Cordesh an leave the trator in the vanishing tunnels - so since theyre fleeing, presumably only 10 minutes at most? Maybe cordesh could have had time to do the same.
                              I dont think its easy to take a symbiotes place or the goa'uld would do it to the tok'ra all thetime. Also it needs out to give room. So I vote for cordesh having removed the tok'ra before taking its place.
                              sigpic

Comment

Compromised, Chapter 20 is up.

Comment

Working...
                                X