Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    Ah... that one... I think I read something similar somewhere else recently, but thanks for the link. ((Astro))

JMOHO, but I'm not thinking those 'exciting' announcements' will have much to do with AT/Sam. Probably more on the 'great new directions' the other characters are taking. Again, JMOHO, and hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
    Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
    My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
      Ah... that one... I think I read something similar somewhere else recently, but thanks for the link. ((Astro))

JMOHO, but I'm not thinking those 'exciting' announcements' will have much to do with AT/Sam. Probably more on the 'great new directions' the other characters are taking. Again, JMOHO, and hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
      Yup, I agree with you, shimmeringstar... maybe she'll just announce that, should there be enough audience, the show has enough material to go on for several more seasons...

Comment

So, am I, like, the only person on this thread who is actually looking forward to Season 9?

While I will miss Sam terribly in the first episodes, it's not like TPTB had a lot of choice in the matter. They had to make changes to keep the series going, and bringing in BB and CB will draw fans to the show that may even keep it going past season 9. To me, that's a good thing, assuming the writing stays reasonably good enough to keep me entertained for a few more years. And honestly, I don't know why it wouldn't; even with the episodes I didn't care for very much in the past, I still liked them a lot more than most of the garbage on TV that I can't even bring myself to watch. The Stargate remains an awesome premise with endless possibilities for great storylines.

I really don't think they could have sold another season of SG-1 to Sci-Fi if they hadn't promised to bring someone in to replace RDA, knowing that Amanda was going to be gone because of the baby. Yes, MS and CJ can carry their own episodes. But by themselves.... a team of two, neither of them military... for how many episodes? I think that would have been a hard sell. I don't think it would have generated enough interest to renew the series.

So, I think BB was a good choice to bring on board (and it was necessary to bring someone in). He's a good actor, and it sounds like the established cast and crew enjoy working with him. If everyone is having a good time, I think that will translate over into the episodes. I'm looking forward to some laughs. And Vala could be a very interesting character. CB is an excellent actress, and with some decent writing, the character could turn out to be very sympathetic. If it gives Daniel someone to fall in love with... that's okay, maybe it'll keep the Daniel fans happy for a while.

I guess for me, having a Season 9 without AT for the first few episodes is a lot better than having no more seasons of SG-1. (SGA, while growing on me, still hasn't quite hooked my interest to the same degree, probably because I haven't fallen in love with any of the characters yet.) But the spoilers that I've heard so far about Sam in season 9 have sounded good to me, and I'm not yet panicking about who will take command of SG-1 once she gets back. Honestly, I think it will be her, and, to my mind, TPTB haven't said anything to indicate otherwise. In fact, maybe that will be AT's big announcement at Gatecon... I've got my fingers crossed, anyway.

Hugs,
        Strix

My LJ

Comment

Happy belated birthday, Uber!

Hugs,
          Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            So, am I, like, the only person on this thread who is actually looking forward to Season 9?
            No, you're not. I'm looking forward to season 9 too.

While I will miss Sam terribly in the first episodes, it's not like TPTB had a lot of choice in the matter. They had to make changes to keep the series going, and bringing in BB and CB will draw fans to the show that may even keep it going past season 9. To me, that's a good thing, assuming the writing stays reasonably good enough to keep me entertained for a few more years. And honestly, I don't know why it wouldn't; even with the episodes I didn't care for very much in the past, I still liked them a lot more than most of the garbage on TV that I can't even bring myself to watch. The Stargate remains an awesome premise with endless possibilities for great storylines.
            Amen to that. Stargate is way better than all the average shows on TV. Even in its not so good episodes.

I really don't think they could have sold another season of SG-1 to Sci-Fi if they hadn't promised to bring someone in to replace RDA, knowing that Amanda was going to be gone because of the baby. Yes, MS and CJ can carry their own episodes. But by themselves.... a team of two, neither of them military... for how many episodes? I think that would have been a hard sell. I don't think it would have generated enough interest to renew the series.
            It's simply unrealistic to have Daniel and Teal'c being SG1 by themselves. Or you're putting them in another team while Sam is gone, but it's not SG1 anymore, is it ?

So, I think BB was a good choice to bring on board (and it was necessary to bring someone in). He's a good actor, and it sounds like the established cast and crew enjoy working with him. If everyone is having a good time, I think that will translate over into the episodes. I'm looking forward to some laughs. And Vala could be a very interesting character. CB is an excellent actress, and with some decent writing, the character could turn out to be very sympathetic. If it gives Daniel someone to fall in love with... that's okay, maybe it'll keep the Daniel fans happy for a while.
            I've never seen any episode of Farscape, but I hear everywhere that BB is a great actor. I'm looking forward to see him in SG1, as long as he's not a carbon copy of Jack and as long as Sam takes command once she's back.
            As for Vala, she needs character development and hopefully will get it in the first episodes of season 9.

I guess for me, having a Season 9 without AT for the first few episodes is a lot better than having no more seasons of SG-1. (SGA, while growing on me, still hasn't quite hooked my interest to the same degree, probably because I haven't fallen in love with any of the characters yet.) But the spoilers that I've heard so far about Sam in season 9 have sounded good to me, and I'm not yet panicking about who will take command of SG-1 once she gets back. Honestly, I think it will be her, and, to my mind, TPTB haven't said anything to indicate otherwise. In fact, maybe that will be AT's big announcement at Gatecon... I've got my fingers crossed, anyway.

Hugs,
            Strix
            Again, I agree. I can survive 5 or 6 episodes without Sam. I don't think I'd survive a year without SG1. And I've got the same problem than you with SGA Strix varia. I don't feel the "team concept" in SGA. For me, they're individuals who work together but they're not a "team". And that's the team concept that got me hooked on SG1.
            So long live SG1 and may all of our beloved characters entertain us with fabulous stories for many years ! (That's quite an optimistic mood )
            Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

naaaaah ! don't worry, you're not alone, I can't wait to see season 9 either, although yes, I'll miss Sam a lot... but hopefully, the new characters, storylines, and enemies will be interesting enough to hook my interest
              I trust the writers and new actors to do a great job, and I really hope that the audience will still be there !

Comment

Originally Posted by Strix varia
                Nah, I'm so eager for more SG-1 that I can hardly stand it. Despite any misgivings I have, despite the fact that AT will not be present at first, and as much as I'll miss RDA, my love of SG-1 trumps all.
                The Stargate remains an awesome premise with endless possibilities for great storylines.
                Absolutely true.
                In fact, maybe that will be AT's big announcement at Gatecon... I've got my fingers crossed, anyway.
                While I share your hopes for AT and Sam in season nine, I'm not at all convinced that the impending "announcement" has anything at all to do with the show itself. Being that the whole spiel is being profferred by Legends, my money is on it being some kind of merchandising plug or convention announcement. At least that's how I read the message posted on the Gatecon page. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  true. and you have to give him credit for that much. he does acknowledge that we exist and, i'm sure, he and others lurk and know peoples' concerns.

which is why, as odd as it sounds, when folks tell me 'hey, don't base all your complaining on spoilers, wait until you see it' i politely ignore them. by the time i see it, it's history. the only way my opinion counts is if it's heard while things are still fluid.

i'm fully aware that some spoilers are deliberately slanted to provoke controversy...hey, they gotta keep the interest up by keeping folks talking, but still, many of the spoilers for s9 leave me cold. maybe i'll change my mind in a month, maybe i won't

time will tell
                  Not sure how much is actually locked in stone...since to my Atlantis question he answered that they were currently spinning an idea for the Genii...for this season? Maybe...

So it's not locked down until it's locked down... or at least that was my read on it...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

well, we weren't going to say anything ;_

Hugs,
                    Strix
                    while i'm very much a glass is half full kinda girl (the folks at work call me miss negative ) i do agree with some of your points

yes, they couldn't do a dang thing about the timing of the pregnancy. family and life comes first.

yes, they had to bring somene else in. frankly the thought of 5-6 eps of jaffa rebellion or ascended drivel woulda had me reaching for the off button. those characters are a vital part of the show, but neither of them has a strong enough storyline to carry the whole ball o wax

and yes, while i do think that, content wise, atlantis is a better show and getting more of thier attention, i haven't connected with any of the main characters so it does nothing for me.

i don't care to connect with the guys, shows that i like have strong female roles....and atlantis just doesnt' have that. teyla is too shallow and sexy, weir is way too maternal (and she never gets to do anyting cool anyway) so, atlantis is just something that i watch

i think it has a lot of potential but until the female roles become something that appeals to me, it'll never be something that i'm a massive fan for. I have no desire to meet any of the actors or go to a con featuring them whereas i've wanted to meet amanda since 2000
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                      The fact that "Jacob" was in reality Sam in her own mind was the problem for me. Had the real Jacob given her this speech, I would agree that it comes from a concerned father who wants the best for his daughter. I'd have taken that as a way to show his love for Sam. I liked what Jacob, the real one told her in Threads, but I didn't like what "Jacob" said in Grace. As it was Sam and not Jacob speaking, I thought she was telling herself "Look at your life and how you screwed up" and not "Look at your life and how beautiful she could be".
                      It was like she agreed that there was something wrong with her because she was single. Well, that's how I understood it. As far as I know, being single is not an illness. I'll support Sam if she finds someone who cares really for her and with whom she's happy, but I don't want her to get married from fear to miss something.
                      Well, maybe I heard this speech from my relatives too many times.
                      I can see your point here, but just because she was telling herself that she was running away from things didn't mean she had screwed up her life. I think we have to look at Sam's past life, her mother dying when she was young, the lack of relationship she had with her father and brother, her failed relationship with Hanson. Sam obviously had a lot of emotional issues, building up walls to deal with all this pain that she had gone through in life would just be a normal thing in my opinion. She may have deeply always wanted to be close to someone and to feel loved but the fear of having to go through all of the emotional pain may have always pushed her away.

I know for my sister, she was in a very abusive relationship in her early twenties and hasn't allowed herself to be in another relationship since then. As long as I can remember she has always wanted to get married and have a family. She's had lots of male friends, several who have even asked her to marry them but she won't allow herself to break down the walls she's built up inorder to actually be in a relationship with someone.

I think in many ways Sam was much the same way. She may have wanted more out of life for years but just couldn't drop the barriers inorder to do so, and in Grace through her own hallucinations she finally came to the decision that she didnt want to die alone... be that on the Prometheus or at home. She wanted to be with someone, to love and be loved in return. Perhaps she wanted to know that someone would notice if she disappeared or didn't come home. A lot of things go through a persons mind when they think they may be dying. Regrets. Wishes. Dreams. I personally don't consider this to be a failure in Sam's life... if it is then it's a flaw in human nature itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        A couple of things there:
                        Ooo, also disagree strongly with that one. Sam definately knows how to have fun. Space Race anyone?
                        I think her tastes in fun are quite different from the rest of the team though. For her, whipping down the highway on her Indian is probably fun but that doesn't seem to me what Daniel or Teal'c would call fun. In fact, I would argue that pulling apart a Naquadah Reactor *is* fun to Sam. Boring as hell to Jack, but very enjoyable for Sam.
                        I have to agree, I think Sam just has a different way of having fun than most.
                        Now I'm not sure if I'd enjoy speeding down the highway on an Indian, but I won't rule it out as I've never tried it before. But I can definitely vouch for pulling a Naquadah Reactor apart as fun. I know for me there is nothing more relaxing and enjoyable than building something. My husband thinks I'm strange at times but he also enjoy the fact that anytime we buy something that needs to be put together or assembled that I will willingly do it because it's what I enjoy. And the only thing better than building something is taking it apart.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          OK, folks, so what do you think AT's 'surprise announcement' is going to be at Gatecon in late July? (I had to look up the date, hope I got it right). Chopin, Coley and I have speculated via email, but I was wondering if anyone on this thread had their own suspicions?
                          That she's expecting baby #2?

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          Of course, not all of us here see Threads as the confirmation that Sam and Jack are together...
                          Yes, so many of us post on both this thread and the S/J Family Discussion Thread that sometimes I forget which one I'm on. But I recognize your point......

Originally posted by Lys
                          Yes, the words were about the same but the person was not the same. In Threads,it's the real Jacob and in Grace it's Sam's unconscious mind.
                          Good point.....and you made a lot more in that post. I think Grace will continue to be a mystery in some ways, and open to various interpretations.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            But I can definitely vouch for pulling a Naquadah Reactor apart as fun.
                            ROTFLOL!
                            Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                            That she's expecting baby #2?
                            Mmhmm... that's what popped into our minds...
                            I think Grace will continue to be a mystery in some ways, and open to various interpretations.
                            Following along with that... what about that Atlantis episode JM said was tentatively titled 'Grace Under Pressure'?... think it will have Sam in it? Or maybe they will bring Grace back, show her to be an alien and have her interact with the Atlantis folks?

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              I have to agree, I think Sam just has a different way of having fun than most.
                              Now I'm not sure if I'd enjoy speeding down the highway on an Indian, but I won't rule it out as I've never tried it before. But I can definitely vouch for pulling a Naquadah Reactor apart as fun. I know for me there is nothing more relaxing and enjoyable than building something. My husband thinks I'm strange at times but he also enjoy the fact that anytime we buy something that needs to be put together or assembled that I will willingly do it because it's what I enjoy. And the only thing better than building something is taking it apart.
                              We also have to remember that Sam is a damn fine pool player, which she showed in Upgrades! (Maybe it has something to do with working out angles!)
                              sigpic

Comment

I think Grace will continue to be a mystery in some ways, and open to various interpretations.
                                Maybe the real goal of Grace was to remain a mystery for everyone.
                                I have to say that when I rewatch it, I'll keep in mind all your good and well thought comments. Yes, I'll rewatch it. I didn't like the episode for a Stargate one, but it's still far better than anything else on TV.
                                I know, I'm weird. So weird that I'm one of the few who liked Emancipation because for me it was the episode where the guys saw Sam for the first time as a soldier who happens to be a woman and not a woman who happens to be a soldier.
                                Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Working...
                                X