Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Strix varia
    So, am I, like, the only person on this thread who is actually looking forward to Season 9?

    While I will miss Sam terribly in the first episodes, it's not like TPTB had a lot of choice in the matter. They had to make changes to keep the series going, and bringing in BB and CB will draw fans to the show that may even keep it going past season 9. To me, that's a good thing, assuming the writing stays reasonably good enough to keep me entertained for a few more years. And honestly, I don't know why it wouldn't; even with the episodes I didn't care for very much in the past, I still liked them a lot more than most of the garbage on TV that I can't even bring myself to watch. The Stargate remains an awesome premise with endless possibilities for great storylines.

    I really don't think they could have sold another season of SG-1 to Sci-Fi if they hadn't promised to bring someone in to replace RDA, knowing that Amanda was going to be gone because of the baby. Yes, MS and CJ can carry their own episodes. But by themselves.... a team of two, neither of them military... for how many episodes? I think that would have been a hard sell. I don't think it would have generated enough interest to renew the series.

    So, I think BB was a good choice to bring on board (and it was necessary to bring someone in). He's a good actor, and it sounds like the established cast and crew enjoy working with him. If everyone is having a good time, I think that will translate over into the episodes. I'm looking forward to some laughs. And Vala could be a very interesting character. CB is an excellent actress, and with some decent writing, the character could turn out to be very sympathetic. If it gives Daniel someone to fall in love with... that's okay, maybe it'll keep the Daniel fans happy for a while.

    I guess for me, having a Season 9 without AT for the first few episodes is a lot better than having no more seasons of SG-1. (SGA, while growing on me, still hasn't quite hooked my interest to the same degree, probably because I haven't fallen in love with any of the characters yet.) But the spoilers that I've heard so far about Sam in season 9 have sounded good to me, and I'm not yet panicking about who will take command of SG-1 once she gets back. Honestly, I think it will be her, and, to my mind, TPTB haven't said anything to indicate otherwise. In fact, maybe that will be AT's big announcement at Gatecon... I've got my fingers crossed, anyway.

    Hugs,
    Strix
    I can deal with no Sam for the first five episodes.

    I can deal with all new characters and storylines.

    I have no issues with a lack of ship in season 10.
    Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy with no ship at all. I just wish the writers would learn to make up their minds and stick with it. This he-loves-me-she-loves-me-not is for the birds. I don't need ship, but don't throw in my face and tease me with it if it's not really there, be it with Sam/Jack, Daniel/Vala, or Cameron/General's daughter(sorry can't remember her name).

    What bothers me more than anything though, and I'm truly sorry if I offend anyone here, is I detested Prometheus Unbound. This is nothing again MS or CB... I love Daniel centric episodes. I've actually really enjoyed Lifeboat and I know many people have said they disliked it. What bothers me the most about this new season is that from all the information that is coming out from Vancouver right now, next year (at least the first five episodes ) is going in the same direction as Prometheus Unbound and that is not something I am looking forward to. I also don't like the way they are bringing in very attractive women and making them look like sexy vixens to attract the male demographic, instead of allowing the character and storylines to draw their attention. This is Stargate not MTV...

    I don't recall the site I saw it on, I believe Jackfan55 posted the link, but I just recall several pictures with Vala in a dominatrix outfit, and then one where her midriff is showing ala Brittney Spears and another photo with the new doctor wearing what appeared to be green scrubs with a plunging neckline. I honestly don't recall seeing Dr. Fraiser ever wearing anything like this before, nor any of my real-life doctors or nurses. Maybe I am wrong here, but I for one am not really pleased with the direction the show seems to be going. I just hope I am proven wrong when the season finally begins.

    Kat
    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 20 June 2005, 12:18 PM.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Strix varia
      So, am I, like, the only person on this thread who is actually looking forward to Season 9?

      While I will miss Sam terribly in the first episodes, it's not like TPTB had a lot of choice in the matter. They had to make changes to keep the series going, and bringing in BB and CB will draw fans to the show that may even keep it going past season 9. To me, that's a good thing, assuming the writing stays reasonably good enough to keep me entertained for a few more years. And honestly, I don't know why it wouldn't; even with the episodes I didn't care for very much in the past, I still liked them a lot more than most of the garbage on TV that I can't even bring myself to watch. The Stargate remains an awesome premise with endless possibilities for great storylines.

      I really don't think they could have sold another season of SG-1 to Sci-Fi if they hadn't promised to bring someone in to replace RDA, knowing that Amanda was going to be gone because of the baby. Yes, MS and CJ can carry their own episodes. But by themselves.... a team of two, neither of them military... for how many episodes? I think that would have been a hard sell. I don't think it would have generated enough interest to renew the series.

      So, I think BB was a good choice to bring on board (and it was necessary to bring someone in). He's a good actor, and it sounds like the established cast and crew enjoy working with him. If everyone is having a good time, I think that will translate over into the episodes. I'm looking forward to some laughs. And Vala could be a very interesting character. CB is an excellent actress, and with some decent writing, the character could turn out to be very sympathetic. If it gives Daniel someone to fall in love with... that's okay, maybe it'll keep the Daniel fans happy for a while.

      I guess for me, having a Season 9 without AT for the first few episodes is a lot better than having no more seasons of SG-1. (SGA, while growing on me, still hasn't quite hooked my interest to the same degree, probably because I haven't fallen in love with any of the characters yet.) But the spoilers that I've heard so far about Sam in season 9 have sounded good to me, and I'm not yet panicking about who will take command of SG-1 once she gets back. Honestly, I think it will be her, and, to my mind, TPTB haven't said anything to indicate otherwise. In fact, maybe that will be AT's big announcement at Gatecon... I've got my fingers crossed, anyway.

      Hugs,
      Strix
      Good post. I don't think they could have done the show without bringing in at least one new person. And I'm with you on the Atlantis comment. So far I enjoy the show, but not to the point that I'm bummed if I miss an episode. Maybe the characters will grow on me more in S2.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Lys
        Maybe the real goal of Grace was to remain a mystery for everyone.
        I have to say that when I rewatch it, I'll keep in mind all your good and well thought comments. Yes, I'll rewatch it. I didn't like the episode for a Stargate one, but it's still far better than anything else on TV.
        I know, I'm weird. So weird that I'm one of the few who liked Emancipation because for me it was the episode where the guys saw Sam for the first time as a soldier who happens to be a woman and not a woman who happens to be a soldier.
        I liked Emancipation too, but I think I liked it because despite everything Sam stood up and defiantly looked her kidnappers in the eye and refused to just sit back and pout. And in the end, although it looked as if the guys were going to ride in and rescue the *girl* ... Sam got to kick the snot out of the guy in front of everyone including her team. It was cool getting to see that Sam deserved to be on the team and could really take care of herself. That alone made the episode worthy of watching again for me. The storyline wasn't great, but seeing how Sam dealt with the situation she was thrown into was cool.

        Comment


          Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          I can deal with no Sam for the first five episodes.

          I can deal with all new characters and storylines.

          I have no issues with a lack of ship in season 10.
          Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy with no ship at all. I just wish the writers would learn to make up their minds and stick with it. This he-loves-me-she-loves-me-not is for the birds. I don't need ship, but don't throw in my face and tease me with it if it's not really there, be it with Sam/Jack, Daniel/Vala, or Cameron/General's daughter(sorry can't remember her name).

          What bothers me more than anything though, and I'm truly sorry if I offend anyone here, is I detested Prometheus Unbound. This is nothing again MS or CB... I love Daniel centric episodes. I've actually really enjoyed Lifeboat and I know many people have said they disliked it. What bothers me the most about this new season is that from all the information that is coming out from Vancouver right now, next year (at least the first five episodes ) is going in the same direction as Prometheus Unbound and that is not something I am looking forward to. I also don't like the way they are bringing in very attractive women and making them look like sexy vixens to attract the male demographic, instead of allowing the character and storylines to draw their attention. This is Stargate not MTV...

          I don't recall the sight I saw it on, I believe Jackfan55 posted the link, but I just recall several pictures with Vala in a dominatrix outfit, and then one where her midriff is showing ala Brittney Spears and another photo with the new doctor wearing what appeared to be green scrubs with a plunging neckline. I honestly don't recall seeing Dr. Fraiser ever wearing anything like this before, nor any of my real-life doctors or nurses. Maybe I am wrong here, but I for one am not really pleased with the direction the show seems to be going. I just hope I am proven wrong when the season finally begins.

          Kat
          Kat, I wished I could give you some green jello for your post. I feel the same way.
          Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.


          Rogue

          Comment


            Originally posted by ForeverSg1
            I liked Emancipation too, but I think I liked it because despite everything Sam stood up and defiantly looked her kidnappers in the eye and refused to just sit back and pout. And in the end, although it looked as if the guys were going to ride in and rescue the *girl* ... Sam got to kick the snot out of the guy in front of everyone including her team. It was cool getting to see that Sam deserved to be on the team and could really take care of herself. That alone made the episode worthy of watching again for me. The storyline wasn't great, but seeing how Sam dealt with the situation she was thrown into was cool.
            Yeah, Sam winning the hand-to hand fight made the rest of the episode worth it for me. I loved the impressed and proud look from O'Neill at the end. We also saw Sam willing to step in and protect the girl's mother. You know--my fault, I'll take responsibility. Even in my less than favorite episodes, I can find moments that are really good. AT's acting saves a lot of scenes.

            Comment


              Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              I don't recall the sight I saw it on, I believe Jackfan55 posted the link, but I just recall several pictures with Vala in a dominatrix outfit, and then one where her midriff is showing ala Brittney Spears and another photo with the new doctor wearing what appeared to be green scrubs with a plunging neckline. I honestly don't recall seeing Dr. Fraiser ever wearing anything like this before, nor any of my real-life doctors or nurses. Maybe I am wrong here, but I for one am not really pleased with the direction the show seems to be going. I just hope I am proven wrong when the season finally begins.
              Vala the former Goa'uld as dominatrix I can accept. I can probably forgive bare midriffs as popular culture these days (not that I necessarily approve of popular culture, mind you)...but a plunging neckline on the CMO? Please tell me you're joking. Okay, you're obviously not joking... so I'm going to go bang my head on the wall for a few moments. Then everything will be better.

              An aside comment on the bare midriffs/popular culture issue... In Israel, I noticed that the military uniform pants for women were cut pretty low... almost, but not quite, to a midriff baring degree. It looked, well, ridiculous to me, especially since (IMO) only a certain minority of women look really good in that particular style. So, many of the female soldiers I saw looked uncomfortable and clunky in their uniforms, while the others looked really sexy...which is not an adjective that I would want applied to MY army if I were trying to intimidate an enemy. It was very odd...

              Hugs,
              Strix

              My LJ

              Comment


                Has AT ever said anything about that? We've discussed the little slips here and there in S8. I have nothing against leather and of course she looks great in it, but a couple of those episodes were a bit of a shock to the senses, considering the past seven years...

                They had absolutely no desire to do the dominatrix deal to Sam before (because, quite frankly IMO, they didn't ever need to - she was strong and sexy enough without the cleavage). So... It's reasonable to assume that they are trying to up the ante, so to speak, with an even more over-the-top, leather-clad Vala. Thank the Lord that they actually made Vala an intelligent person to boot.

                Again, I think it's to compete - or perhaps run alongside - with BSG, but I won't even get into that.

                One thing I worry about is just HOW these two characters are going to interact. I don't know if you guys have mentioned this before, but do you remember in D&C when they had Tokra Spice come into the picture, and she was pretty much at odds with Janet the whole time? They had Janet looking SOOOOO not how she usually looked, almost as if they felt compelled to upgrade Boobalicious' looks and dress down Janet for the ultimate sex appeal. Grrr....

                I can't imagine them doing that to Sam, but stranger things have happened and WILL happen to the show. I don't want Sam to be the strong, sarcastic, Colonel, etc., if it means that she's going to be made to look frumpy opposite Vala.

                And I have nothing against Vala or CB, of course. In fact, I'm pretty sure I can get past the cleavage. I just don't want her importance to overshadow Sam's... ESPECIALLY over something as silly as leather.

                Comment


                  And so you can see what I'm talking about, here's a picture of an Israeli uniform:



                  Is it just me, or does it look like one good tug on a pant leg, and... well, it just seems hideously impractical for a uniform.

                  I'm very glad the US Airforce has a different style... But to each their own, I suppose.

                  Hugs,
                  Strix

                  My LJ

                  Comment


                    Some of you were discussing the Favorite Episodes Poll going on now on GW. We were concerned that all the Sam-centric eps might be eliminated by the Sam-bashers. If you want to participate and make your votes count, here's the link that explains the contest and shows the list of episodes remaining as of Round 9.

                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....28&postcount=1

                    When/if you vote, you're voting for your LEAST FAVORITE episodes, so those can be eliminated.

                    Comment


                      Hey everyone!!!!! Just found out about an article posted in a small english newspaper about Amanda, and how she's an original Essex Girl (I still stand that she's fully Canadian, but I might be a little biased )

                      Originally Posted by Mumsey, on a different site:

                      I live in Basildon, Essex in the UK. It's about thirty miles east of
                      London. My sister was browsing through our local evening paper
                      tonight, when she spotted an article about Amanda.

                      It has the Proof Positive picture (in colour) and a biggish headline
                      that says -

                      "Sci-fi TV star is a real Essex girl."
                      Sub heading - "Stargate actress Amanda remembers her Benfleet roots on
                      trip back to visit family" by Ed Beavan

                      An actress who originally hails from south Essex is wowing audiences
                      on both sides of the Atlantic in a popular sci-fi thriller.

                      Amanda Tapping can be seen on the small screen series Stargate SG-1,
                      which is now into its eighth season.

                      She has played the part of Major Smantha Carter since the show first
                      started in 1997, but despite living on the other side of the world has
                      fond memories of her Essex origins.

                      She said: "I was born a twin in Rochford Hospital.

                      "We lived near Tarpots Corner in Benfleet, but the Benfleet hospital
                      couldn't accommodate twins so we went to Rochford."

                      The family emigrated to Ontario, Canada, when she was just three to
                      start a new life, and it was there she developed a love for acting.

                      She studied drama at the Windsor School of Dramatic Arts in Ontario
                      before breaking into television in shows such as Booty Call, Life or
                      Something Like It, and the X Files.

                      It was landing the role in Stargate SG-1 which really lauched her career.

                      On her last trip back to the UK, the 40-year-old mother of one, came
                      back to south Essex to revisit her roots.

                      She said: "My stepfather has family who are living in Benfleet so I
                      was able to see the house I lived in and get a tour around the area.
                      It was fantastic.

                      "It was weird. I feel such a strong connection to England, and
                      whenever I go there I feel very much a sense of home."

                      Stargate SG-1 is shown on Sky One and Channel 4.

                      ------------

                      Tarpots Corner is about 4 or 5 miles up the road from here. I went
                      through there this afternoon, funnily enough.

                      I haven't a clue what prompted the item. It stands alone on the
                      bottom third of page three.

                      Kay aka Mumsey
                      (Amazed that my anti-sci-fi sister knew who Amanda is!)
                      The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

                      ^^Sam/Jack^^
                      |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by MajorSam
                        Hey everyone!!!!! Just found out about an article posted in a small english newspaper about Amanda, and how she's an original Essex Girl (I still stand that she's fully Canadian, but I might be a little biased )
                        Thanks for posting that for us, MajorSam! I always enjoy reading about Amanda!

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          Following along with that... what about that Atlantis episode JM said was tentatively titled 'Grace Under Pressure'?... think it will have Sam in it? Or maybe they will bring Grace back, show her to be an alien and have her interact with the Atlantis folks?
                          I don't know if it's related or not, but there's a website called "Grace Under Pressure" which was a Heroes tribute site for Janet...
                          Probably just a coincedence though

                          Comment


                            Man there's one person on the Cam should outrank Carter thread that's getting a little...ansy.

                            I mean I'm bothered by the mere thought that Sam might be relegated to 2IC...and this other person is practically hyper that Cam might be dissed somehow if Sam retakes command when she returns.

                            Either way you look at it, someone's going to lose out. Why the heck should it be Carter? You know, CARTER? The one we've known and loved for 8 years as opposed to a guy we know little to nothing about???

                            ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                              Man there's one person on the Cam should outrank Carter thread that's getting a little...ansy.

                              I mean I'm bothered by the mere thought that Sam might be relegated to 2IC...and this other person is practically hyper that Cam might be dissed somehow if Sam retakes command when she returns.

                              Either way you look at it, someone's going to lose out. Why the heck should it be Carter? You know, CARTER? The one we've known and loved for 8 years as opposed to a guy we know little to nothing about???
                              'Either way you look at it, someone's going to lose out'.. and that's what I don't understand about the spoilers leaked for Season 9... why would TPTB want to set up a situation where they have two polarized camps amongst their fanbase - one side that will be pissed if Carter doesn't get command, and another that will be pissed if Mitchell doesn't retain command when Carter returns. I don't understand setting up a situation that creates antagonism amongst the fans.

                              Either way someone's going to lose out - either Sam is Mitchell's 2IC, or he's hers.

                              Like you, Uber, I don't understand why a Stargate fan would want the newbie to take command over a long standing character.

                              I also want to see a woman portrayed as competently in command. With strong men under her command - men that respect her leadership - and show that respect appropriately and professionally. Amanda Tapping could be so wonderfully successful in such a role in Season 9.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by astrogeologist
                                'Either way you look at it, someone's going to lose out'.. and that's what I don't understand about the spoilers leaked for Season 9... why would TPTB want to set up a situation where they have two polarized camps amongst their fanbase - one side that will be pissed if Carter doesn't get command, and another that will be pissed if Mitchell doesn't retain command when Carter returns. I don't understand setting up a situation that creates antagonism amongst the fans.

                                Either way someone's going to lose out - either Sam is Mitchell's 2IC, or he's hers.

                                Like you, Uber, I don't understand why a Stargate fan would want the newbie to take command over a long standing character.

                                I also want to see a woman portrayed as competently in command. With strong men under her command - men that respect her leadership - and show that respect appropriately and professionally. Amanda Tapping could be so wonderfully successful in such a role in Season 9.
                                That's it exactly. Post this on that thread, would ya? This is the point I tried to make...

                                Now I'm way biased because Sam's my hero...but even if she weren't or we were talking about another established character versus a newbie and I wasn't thrilled with the established character, I'd STILL pull for the established character because, we'll he/she's established! That's the person I've developed a connection with for 8 seasons and that's the person I want to see grow as a different kind of character...as a leader.

                                And I think TPTB either miss the fact or simply accept that it's a reality that factions will be created within the fandom...some pro, some con...but with that antagonism comes viewership and thus ratings.
                                Last edited by Uber; 20 June 2005, 07:22 PM.

                                ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X