Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melora View Post
    I thought it was out of sync at first too. Then I realized that the woman talking at the beginning of the vid is standing behind the camera and that's why her voice is so loud. She also happens to sound a lot like Amanda which is what confused me at first. Amanda starts talking a little bit later when she looks into the camera. You have to turn the volume up quite a bit to actually hear what she is saying.
    I thought the same thing, and then I started questioning that when Ooobs mentioned it being out of sync. I have to say the resemblance in voices is pretty unusual...

And man, if horrible outfits was all it took to get golfbooy back in the curmudgeonly fray, we should've posted pics of S4 Atlantis!Carter much sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal View Post

woo hoo!!

i got these off gateworld's home page, but these are MUCH bigger.

~sam/amanda's looking reeeeeeeeaaaallly cool!~

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
        I thought the same thing, and then I started questioning that when Ooobs mentioned it being out of sync. I have to say the resemblance in voices is pretty unusual...

And man, if horrible outfits was all it took to get golfbooy back in the curmudgeonly fray, we should've posted pics of S4 Atlantis!Carter much sooner.
        *huggles our resident curmudgeon*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

so has anyone watched 'breakdown'? i larfed my bottom off! it was really cute.

sally

(edit: why are so many ppl on this thread right now? )
          sally

sigpic

Comment

I know... she seriously could be Amanda's voice double. LOL!!

Comment

Now...
              Spoiler:
              Here's a question. Without elaborating with links or locations, could someone please confirm or deny the allegation that Adrift and Lifeline have been leaked the internet?
              Spoiler:
              Oh yeah. Those babies are, um, "available". I'm not sure if they're the completely finished eps, but something is floating around.

Originally posted by UberSG1fan:
              Not to dispute your issues with Alan McCollough et al as I share many of them...I don't think that those pictures constitute a deconstruction of her character at all.[snip]
              The pictures in and of themselves aren't particularly harmful. But when coupled together with all of my other fears and worries about the whole Carter on Atlantis thing, my own preconceptions about Atlantis as a TV show (long founded before Sam Carter showed up there), and my general disinclination as of late to expect good things from Stargate, I see only bad things in them.

I sure hope I'm wrong. But can you really say that you wouldn't rather have seen Sam show up on Atlantis wearing her dress uniform or at least her BDUs? Was your first thought when seeing her in this "uniform" really of the "Yay, she looks great!" variety? Or was it more of the, "Hmm. OK. We'll see," type?

ETA: Ack! Look at all the posts! Quit blocking my hole!

Comment

I'm not too keen on the outfit, though it doesn't make or break the series for me or anything. It's a bit distracting (and the kneepads are a joke), but whatevs... I do wonder why SciFi/Bridge thought it was necessary to go that route with the wardrobe, though I guess it may have been their attempt to further distinguish the series as "intergalactic."

Great pics, though! I'm glad they finally released them all.

Now...
                Spoiler:
                Here's a question. Without elaborating with links or locations, could someone please confirm or deny the allegation that Adrift and Lifeline have been leaked the internet?
                I'm used to military people being in uniform and I guess subconsciously I expect to see them in it so it'll probably take me a bit to get used to seeing Sam "out of uniform" so to speak.

Oh and

Check yer PM's spaz
                -

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
                  I sure hope I'm wrong. But can you really say that you wouldn't rather have seen Sam show up on Atlantis wearing her dress uniform or at least her BDUs? Was your first thought when seeing her in this "uniform" really of the "Yay, she looks great!" variety? Or was it more of the, "Hmm. OK. We'll see," type?
                  She does. There's scenes from Adrift (could be lifeline) where she's in olive green BDU's, pics from Adrift/Lifeline where she's in a green flightsuit and pics from Trio where she's in black BDU's/tactical vest.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                    so has anyone watched 'breakdown'? i larfed my bottom off! it was really cute.

sally

(edit: why are so many ppl on this thread right now? )
                    We heard you were here, Sally.
                    Probably for the AT pictures.

As for the concerns about McCullough--having heard some of the commentaries, I'm not sure it's entirely his fault given that RCC wound up taking a heavy hand to some of the scripts. But that may have been less to recharacterize Sam as to diminish her screen time in favor of cough certain others.

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Oh yeah. Those babies are, um, "available". I'm not sure if they're the completely finished eps, but something is floating around.

The pictures in and of themselves aren't particularly harmful. But when coupled together with all of my other fears and worries about the whole Carter on Atlantis thing, my own preconceptions about Atlantis as a TV show (long founded before Sam Carter showed up there), and my general disinclination as of late to expect good things from Stargate, I see only bad things in them.

ETA: Ack! Look at all the posts! Quit blocking my hole!
                      Yeah, so many hopes dashed in S9 & 10--it sets you up to expect the worst. I'd like to see Sam in regular uniforms. And I really don't mind the AF dress blues. BDUs would make sense on base.
                      They have military and civilian types in the SGC and the civilians wear regular clothes and the military people wear uniforms. Not sure why they felt the need to put everyone in the same uniform on Atlantis. It is kind of Trekky. Fine for Trek maybe, but we're dealing with current day Earth people.

I'm just hoping the leathers only come out on special occasions. At least they're not the "bounty hunter" outfits. Nice showcase for AT's looks, not so practical.

Comment

the jackets are cool. can't say that i care for the knee pads look. that's a bit odd

oh, and as a friend of mine said 'so what? everyone else gets spiffy new outfits and rachel is still wearing the same torn top'

although we know that her new wardrobe will show up later on, necessitated by real life issus, so i can wait for that
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          Hey Sally, just for you

From Joe's blog, spoilers for S4
                          Spoiler:
                          Anonymous #4 writes: “Will we get any evil or whumped Carter in Atlantis this season?”

Answer: Whumped Carter? Oh, yes.

*waits for the high pitched loud squee*
                          yep, i squeed!

i liked two of his other answers too (bb and ship).

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                            We heard you were here, Sally.
                            Probably for the AT pictures.

As for the concerns about McCullough--having heard some of the commentaries, I'm not sure it's entirely his fault given that RCC wound up taking a heavy hand to some of the scripts. But that may have been less to recharacterize Sam as to diminish her screen time in favor of cough certain others.
                            OK, I saw this mentioned on the Anti-10 thread.
                            Season ten, movie spoilers:
                            Spoiler:
                            I think you're specifically referring to Line in the Sand, right? I get what you're saying about cutting down on screentime in favor of other characters, but this is actually one instance where I'm going to go with RCC. LitS is just about the only episode in the back half of season ten where we get to see Vala as a serious, meaningful character. Here scenes with Tomin aboard the Ori ship are among her best in all of Stargate. I'd rather Sam lose some time in LitS and gain some in trash like Bounty or Family Ties than lose the very few good bits of Vala we got.

And from a writerly (it is too a word) angle, Vala in LitS is absolutely necessary. The whole Ori story and our heroes means of fighting and beating them hinges upon the Ori followers. The entire Ark of Truth movie is about us dealing with the Ori followers and their faith as a source of power for the Ori. The Ori storyline has become the story of Tomin and all those like him. RCC is the only writer in the entire franchise to give life and feeling to that part of the story. Only in Crusade and LitS do we see things from the other side the coin, from Tomin's perspective. If Ark of Truth was supposed to be the finale for season ten, then I can't see it having any meaning without Tomin's struggle with his faith, without his struggle with Vala. Even now that it wasn't the finale and that it's now a movie, I still think those scenes are absolutely seminal in giving Ark of Truth any sort of real emotional depth and consequence.

So I can forgive the loss of a few Sam bits in this instance. I have greater difficulty forgiving the aforementioned Bounty and Family Ties, which were both comedies of errors and frauds perpetrated on the audience at large.

Comment

Originally posted by Über View Post
                              But from what I've seen and heard, from what Amanda has said about her being a new Carter and such, I think that simply means that she'll hold new responsibilities with new people and therefore she can't help but be different. Exploring new sides to her character and personality can't help but change what we see. And as long as they can carry that off while maintaining the integrity and cannon of who she is...then I think it's a win.

Whether that's the case or not...well only time will tell.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

OK, I saw this mentioned on the Anti-10 thread.
                                Season ten, movie spoilers:
                                Spoiler:
                                I think you're specifically referring to Line in the Sand, right? I get what you're saying about cutting down on screentime in favor of other characters, but this is actually one instance where I'm going to go with RCC. LitS is just about the only episode in the back half of season ten where we get to see Vala as a serious, meaningful character. Here scenes with Tomin aboard the Ori ship are among her best in all of Stargate. I'd rather Sam lose some time in LitS and gain some in trash like Bounty or Family Ties than lose the very few good bits of Vala we got.

And from a writerly (it is too a word) angle, Vala in LitS is absolutely necessary. The whole Ori story and our heroes means of fighting and beating them hinges upon the Ori followers. The entire Ark of Truth movie is about us dealing with the Ori followers and their faith as a source of power for the Ori. The Ori storyline has become the story of Tomin and all those like him. RCC is the only writer in the entire franchise to give life and feeling to that part of the story. Only in Crusade and LitS do we see things from the other side the coin, from Tomin's perspective. If Ark of Truth was supposed to be the finale for season ten, then I can't see it having any meaning without Tomin's struggle with his faith, without his struggle with Vala. Even now that it wasn't the finale and that it's now a movie, I still think those scenes are absolutely seminal in giving Ark of Truth any sort of real emotional depth and consequence.

So I can forgive the loss of a few Sam bits in this instance. I have greater difficulty forgiving the aforementioned Bounty and Family Ties, which were both comedies of errors and frauds perpetrated on the audience at large.
                                Good points.
                                Spoiler:
                                I just wish they could have done both things during the season-- give depth to Vala and Ori storyline and not largely forget the original characters (Sam and Teal'c) in the process.

And I agree, those last two episodes you mention were dreadful.

Comment

Working...
                                X