Originally posted by minigeek View Post
    What ship? (ducking!!)
    The Enterprise, of course!
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

What ship? (ducking!!)
      Better duck!

If you're at all confused about what ship I'm talking about, I have pictures to illustrate.

Ah, good to be back in Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
        All I could think was, thats Amanda Tapping, Amanda Tapping OMG OMG.
        Oy me too. It was almost a surreal experience because I'd never felt that tongue tied before. As neat as it would have been to meet Rick as well at Avalon, I probably (almost surely) would not have been nearly as phased, if at all, because while Rick's a great guy, he's not a hero of mine really, whereas Amanda is. The last time I felt a little close to that was when I met a very amazing animator from ILM whose work I always drool over and admire profusely. But even when I met him, I don't think I felt quite as much like that deer in headlights people keep mentioning - as I did when I met Amanda. And Amanda was far more personable and warm upon first meeting! Amazing what a person's own mind can make them into sometimes, huh?

I completely agree with Skydiver. Admiring a personal hero is nothing to be ashamed of, it's something to embrace and enjoy.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Caption Time

Teal'c: Major Carte, are you feeling alright?
          Sam: Yes Teal'c, I'm fine, it's just, I never expected to see this.
          Teal'c: But Colonel O'Neill and Dr. Jackson thought you might enjoy watching them wrestle in a pit of blue jello.
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
            Caption Time

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5905/csamqg2.jpg

Teal'c: Major Carte, are you feeling alright?
            Sam: Yes Teal'c, I'm fine, it's just, I never expected to see this.
            Teal'c: But Colonel O'Neill and Dr. Jackson thought you might enjoy watching them wrestle in a pit of blue jello.
            I have no caption, but I know I'd enjoy watching.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
              Better duck!

If you're at all confused about what ship I'm talking about, I have pictures to illustrate.

Ah, good to be back in Samanda.
              "Don't try and see the ship. That's Impossible. Instead, try and realize the truth.... There is no ship."

LOL, sorry, just been a bit cynical lately about ever seeing poor Sam and Jack get their lurrve on.

Especially since both Richard and Amanda apparently mentioned during one of the Avalon Q&A sessions that he's not going to be in the final episode of season ten. (sigh)

Comment

I certainly admire AT for herself--among other things, she truly "gives back" to charities and to the fans. Her fame enables her to raise money for the hearing dogs, for example, but it's not all about her, if you know what I mean. Some "stars" who have causes seem to make it more about themselves than the cause.
                I liked the character when I first wandered onto this thread, but I've really learned a lot more about AT which has made me more of a fan. I know she's just a person, but she's a special person. And she'd be special if she did something else for a living.

Comment

"Don't try and see the ship. That's Impossible. Instead, try and realize the truth.... There is no ship."

LOL, sorry, just been a bit cynical lately about ever seeing poor Sam and Jack get their lurrve on.

Especially since both Richard and Amanda apparently mentioned during one of the Avalon Q&A sessions that (sigh)

There are movies. I am ever hopeful. I suppose in the end, as long as TPTB don't crush my shipper heart, I can imagine they got together at the end of Season 8.

And why in the world is
                  Spoiler:
                  he not in the finale? Those PTB.....

Comment

Oy me too. It was almost a surreal experience because I'd never felt that tongue tied before. As neat as it would have been to meet Rick as well at Avalon, I probably (almost surely) would not have been nearly as phased, if at all, because while Rick's a great guy, he's not a hero of mine really, whereas Amanda is. The last time I felt a little close to that was when I met a very amazing animator from ILM whose work I always drool over and admire profusely. But even when I met him, I don't think I felt quite as much like that deer in headlights people keep mentioning - as I did when I met Amanda. And Amanda was far more personable and warm upon first meeting! Amazing what a person's own mind can make them into sometimes, huh?

I completely agree with Skydiver. Admiring a personal hero is nothing to be ashamed of, it's something to embrace and enjoy.
                    It was admiring a personal hero that actually brought me back to Stargate, and here to Samanda, actually. I watched the earlier seasons with my Dad, but when the channel that was airing them in syndication stopped airing them, we stopped. This is a involved story, but for those who aren't interesting in reading it, I'll put it under spoilers.
                    Spoiler:

I'm big into politics in my state, and back in 2002 Paul Wellstone was my hero. My mother called him my John F. Kennedy. I got the chance to meet him in early October 2002 when he came to a parade that was in the next town, half an hour away from mine. I was so tongue-tied, the only thing I remember saying is my hometown and the word 'picture' and holding out my camera. That was the best day of my life.

Eleven days before the election in November 2002, on the way to a funeral in northern Minnesota, he, his wife, his daughter and three campaign aides were killed in a plane crash. That sent our state into a frenzy. Wellstone's replacement lost the election by a fairly large margin, and all the other Democratic campaigns that year that I had volunteered on lost by fairly large margins as well. After putting so much of myself into these respective campaigns, it hurt a lot to see them all lost. Then at the beginning of 2003 my mother found out that she had breast cancer, and I completely lost it. I started going a lot of things-underage things. I went from being an A student to only pulling C's. This is going to sound completely hokey as all h***, but I realized that someone was wrong with me when I found my dad watching Birthright on a videotape. He had found a friend with cable to tape the new episodes. I remembered what drew me to the show in the first place. I remembered how cool and collected Sam Carter was. Her dad had had cancer and she and her father both survived. They had caught my mom's cancer early enough and she was going to make it. I was going to make it. I told myself that day that I wasn't going to be the girl I was after the election anymore, and I worked my hardest to try and make sure that I kept that promise to myself.

And then I saw the episode Grace in early 2004, and it instantly became my favorite Stargate SG-1 episode. It was refreshing to see Carter deal with her demons, and that helped me confront some of my own, too. Both women...Sam Carter and Amanda Tapping, have had such a profound effect on me getting through that point in my life. (When my cousin puts together her thing to send to Amanda, I'm going to try and slip in a letter about how much her and her character has meant to me over the years)

When I told one of my friends, who also watches Stargate, the above story, she dragged me over to her computer and showed me Gateworld. She was a lurker herself...she still to this day hasn't signed up for the forum, though I'm trying to change that , and she introduced me to this wonderful thread and a group of people who I consider very good friends! ((((samanda))))

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
                    My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
                    My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
                    My Stargate Videos
                    It's meant to be!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                      I liked the character when I first wandered onto this thread, but I've really learned a lot more about AT which has made me more of a fan. I know she's just a person, but she's a special person. And she'd be special if she did something else for a living.
                      Yes, exactly. The really cool thing is that I've met a whole bunch of other people from this group, this thread, now, that are just like that too. People are who really special in similar ways. I suppose (to be a little spiritual and creepy about it) it's possible that certain "energies" attract one another, but it's the only good reason I can think of to describe it. Amanda's fans are, for the most part, really giving, really salt of the earth people and I've been so touched by some of the folks I met at AT2, and some I heard about who couldn't make it, in a way it's reinvigourated my faith in human kindness. Living in a large urban metropolis, dealing with pretention so often and life speeds that are way too fast to include other people for more than an instant, it's easy to get jaded and fall into a pattern of not seeing the things that matter. I had a difficult personal crisis a while back and I had a "Samandan" friend from here offer to fly across the country and come stay with me for a while. She was utterly serious and I just sat down and had a really long, really good cry that day because I couldn't believe the genuine kindness (she doesn't even know about this yet). I felt truly blessed that day. Others from this group have done similar beautiful things for one another here and elsewhere. Many of us have stories like that to share. That's why I feel so grateful to know everyone here and why my own life has changed for the better for being a part of this circle. I know it's a sappy thing to dwell on, but really do mean it when I say I love and admire you all.

geek

Comment

Yes, exactly. The really cool thing is that I've met a whole bunch of other people from this group, this thread, now, that are just like that too. People are who really special in similar ways. I suppose (to be a little spiritual and creepy about it) it's possible that certain "energies" attract one another, but it's the only good reason I can think of to describe it. Amanda's fans are, for the most part, really giving, really salt of the earth people and I've been so touched by some of the folks I met at AT2, and some I heard about who couldn't make it, in a way it's reinvigourated my faith in human kindness. Living in a large urban metropolis, dealing with pretention so often and life speeds that are way too fast to include other people for more than an instant, it's easy to get jaded and fall into a pattern of not seeing the things that matter. I had a difficult personal crisis a while back and I had a "Samandan" friend from here offer to fly across the country and come stay with me for a while. She was utterly serious and I just sat down and had a really long, really good cry that day because I couldn't believe the genuine kindness (she doesn't even know about this yet). I felt truly blessed that day. Others from this group have done similar beautiful things for one another here and elsewhere. Many of us have stories like that to share. That's why I feel so grateful to know everyone here and why my own life has changed for the better for being a part of this circle. I know it's a sappy thing to dwell on, but really do mean it when I say I love and admire you all.

geek
                        Ahh, here's a Samandan Hug for the geeky one

sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

geek
                          Well said minigeek,
                          I've only been part of Samanda for a short time but its a really special place to be! Because of my disability going out can be difficult at this time of year, so having all of you to talk to keeps me from getting down, life's tough for me right, getting sick at AT2 was just the start of my trouble, but I'm starting to feel more and more part of this wonderful Samanda family thanks guys. (((Samandas)))

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                            Well said minigeek,
                            I've only been part of Samanda for a short time but its a really special place to be! Because of my disability going out can be difficult at this time of year, so having all of you to talk to keeps me from getting down, life's tough for me right, getting sick at AT2 was just the start of my trouble, but I'm starting to feel more and more part of this wonderful Samanda family thanks guys. (((Samandas)))

Julia(samcarterrules)
                            and here's another one for you too, and all the Samandans

sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Thanks Mady

And back at ya!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Ah that pic is so sweet...back at ya mandy...and also all other samandans (((hugs))))
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X