Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    if we're not getting the second half until march, oh yeah, the uk will be ahead of us. like MONTHS ahead of us
    I can't wait that long. I can't. Oh, I really don't like Sci-Fi.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      if we're not getting the second half until march, oh yeah, the uk will be ahead of us. like MONTHS ahead of us
      Huh.

I always thought that the changes with S9 in the UK were MGM/Bridge/Sci Fi's way of keeping the US from knowing about episodes long in advance.

Does that not matter anymore?

And, if not, wouldn't the chances of them knowing about potential cancellation long ago be even greater? I mean, ya know, if they didn't care enough about that when this was ironed out with Sky One?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Hey Little Page I just found out the news myself and don't have time to read all the details or posts about this as I'm still unpacking and RL is totally consuming my life these days.

What I can say is that I'm not surprised. I just read the one piece of PR at the main GW page and LOL as how the "500 lb. gorilla" is never mentioned as one of the factors causing the cancellation: the exclusion of the three veterans as main players in S9-10 with the crowning of the new cast and "new creative direction". Yep, demoting Sam Carter and then writing around that atrocity and using AT, CJ, and MS as the "irregulars" rather than the ongoing regulars they were ... yep, way to go fellas!

Saddened, but not surprised. AT is such a gift as an actress and such a class act that she will land on her feet. Hoping the same for all the cast members, new and old.

If only TPTB listened to some of the longtime fans "who had issues of their own" ... if only.

I say thank you also to the cast and crew who did their best with what they were given. I now plan to finish my Samfic once I'm settled in the new house just because I believe that the end of S8 held promise for our heroes. I'm sure fanfic will be alive with many well written stories which will treat Jack, Sam and T and Daniel with fair and just endings.

Peace, CG
        So good to hear from you Jester, I hope the move went well.

I agree that the major changes to the last two seasons must have been a large contributing factor in the cancellation of the show, and really I suppose considering that I thought everything was rather nicely tied up at the end of season 8, I'll count season 9&10 as bonus time with Sam.

I very much look forward to your fic. I think that even after Stargate is gone, Sam and all the characters that were ever a part of Stargate will always live on in the imaginitve fiction that people both here in Samanda and elsewhere write.
        To many more years of Samfic!

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Here! Here! Samfic will live on! I think I'll go read some right now!

Comment

Well I thought I would put my 2 cents worth in. I agree with a lot of what has been said already. I’m not completely surprised they cancelled the show. I am surprised that they told them during the party for the 200th episode. I can’t imagine how bad that must have been. I haven’t read all the news about it, but apparently SciFi has been planning it?

I wondered why they had RDA on Atlantis for 3 episodes and SG-1 for only 2. It seemed very bizarre and upsetting at the time, but now I’m thinking they (Scifi exec or whoever) were just trying to promote the series that will remain on the air next year. I would think the low ratings would show the exec's what their meddling does to the shows popularity

Now the good news … It does sound like Amanda has other offers or more projects coming her way. That’s wonderful news! Like someone else said ... maybe she will get a chance to direct more, she seems to love it and she is very good at it. Of course I hope she is still in front of the camera too, she is such a talented actress. It sounds like MS is taking more time to be with his family and maybe other projects as well. I can only hope CJ and all the others do too. My biggest concern is for all the actors who have devoted so much of their time and talents to the show. They have graced our TV sets for ten years. They have entertained us as they traveled through space and time to rid the galaxy of all that is evil from the replicators, Ori, Goa’uld and a few misplace societies set on taking over the galaxy. It used to have a rich tapestry of stories woven well together, and while that tapestry began to fray in the last two years. I am still sad to see it go.

To be honest when I first heard about the show, hero’s defending the galaxy from snakes taking humans as host had me a little hesitant to watch. However, after several episodes I was hooked. The close nit team (the bond they shared seemed unlike anything I had seen before and while they were hero’s they had flaws too), all things related to space, a few time travel episodes, the adventure, the fact that a strong female character was portrayed in such a positive light and a significant role in the show, and the possible relationship between Jack and Samantha (I know I might be in the minority on the last one, but still a reason that had me hooked).

I want to say thanks!!! To AT, RDA, MS, CJ, and ALL the actors, and yes even the producers and writers for bringing me years of entertainment.

Comment

[{Mod SNip}
              Eum... can't handle tech-talk?!? I think she is amazing at it. Especially if she (Amanda Tapping) spent 1 hour each day studying the scientific aspect of the show to grasp the meaning of it. She even understands it better than the writers, never heard she corrected them?

For her development? I think going from Captain to Colonel and having had the leadership of SG1 changes a person alright! Same about what happened with Jolinar, the Entity, reliving her/Jolinarr's memories and many other things. And all the people she watched die (Janet, Jacob, Martouf (who she had to kill herself, difficult if you know she has feelings for the guy) Narim, Orlin). She never broke even if sometimes she very much wanted too because she's the perfect little soldier that wouldn't do anything to endanger her career. And if she did, because she did, it wasn't of selfishness. It was to save Earth and the Galaxy!

And she's brainy alright, 3 quarters of the base couldn't have come up with her crazy ideas. Why would the Asgard have asked for her help if she was some dumb blond?

I accept you're oppinion but I just can't understand why you don't see things as obvious as Sam Carter evoluating to be one of the best female, lead character in TV shows. The reason why people post here is because they love her character and because over the years she has been a model to many woman.

She wouldn't have so much fans if she was a bad, annoying, dumb character IMO. The numbers speak for themselves.
              Last edited by TameFarrar; 24 August 2006, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove
                Eum... can't handle tech-talk?!? I think she is amazing at it. Especially if she (Amanda Tapping) spent 1 hour each day studying the scientific aspect of the show to grasp the meaning of it. She even understands it better than the writers, never heard she corrected them?

For her development? I think going from Captain to Colonel and having had the leadership of SG1 changes a person alright! Same about what happened with Jolinar, the Entity, reliving her/Jolinarr's memories and many other things. And all the people she watched die (Janet, Jacob, Martouf (who she had to kill herself, difficult if you know she has feelings for the guy) Narim, Orlin). She never broke even if sometimes she very much wanted too because she's the perfect little soldier that wouldn't do anything to endanger her career. And if she did, because she did, it wasn't of selfishness. It was to save Earth and the Galaxy!

And she's brainy alright, 3 quarters of the base couldn't have come up with her crazy ideas. Why would the Asgard have asked for her help if she was some dumb blond?

I accept you're oppinion but I just can't understand why you don't see things as obvious as Sam Carter evoluating to be one of the best female, lead character in TV shows. The reason why people post here is because they love her character and because over the years she has been a model to many woman.

She wouldn't have so much fans if she was a bad, annoying, dumb character IMO. The numbers speak for themselves.

hear, hear!

sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Trubinator
                  I've never posted here before, so I'll share my two cents. Carter never did much for me to be perfectly honest. She seemed like someone the suits thought sounded brainy but obviously wasn't and could barely handle the tech-talk. Same goes for her development...after ten years she seems just like she was in the pilot episode.
                  If it wasn't for Sam, I probably wouldn't even be a fan. Sam rocks. She's done a lot for me and lots of fans. She has changed, they all have. As for technobabble, no one does it better....JMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                    hear, hear!

Hear, hear, HEAR!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                      hear, hear!

I'll join in this!!!
                      That was a great post Lizlove!!!!!!!

And I think a lot of us do look up to Samantha Carter...I know I do...

Comment

Carter's character was (and is) the reason I started watching SG-1 and the reason I became such a fan of the series. Writing (on any series) has its ups and its downs, its brilliant moments and its cringe-worthy ones, but the one constant for me throughout the time I've watched SG-1 has been that Sam Carter would always be played by Amanda so artfully and so intelligently that I'd always have something to come away positively with. For me, her presence on SG-1 has been (and continues to be) a shining light, and a huge amount of that credit does go to Amanda. I'll forever think fondly of Samantha Carter. And of Amanda for bringing her to life.

mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

{Mod Snip}
                          Really? I've seen Sam get the team out of several "tight spots" over the years and also see her get so excited over her "gadgits" she has said all of her techno- babble with heart and soul and i have to say this, Amanda has herself spent the time to read up on what all of it means before it goes on film because as she says "if i can't understand what i'm saying how can the fans understand it" As for her devolpment she has had to contend with Jolinar, the entity, another snake, also see her best friend Janet die and take on Cassie, almost loose her father to cancer only to be saved by a "good snake!" and then loose him a few years down the road, mus'nt forget Pete! even if he was'nt destined to last and lastly there's Jack, she went fishing with him, although Daniel and Teal'c were there also!
                          So i would say up to s8 Sam has had a pretty full life so far and add into that mix Cam and Vala>>>>>>>
                          Last edited by TameFarrar; 24 August 2006, 05:15 PM.
                          ......TARA......

Comment

I think At does the technobabble better than any other actor in TV sci-fi. I watch/watched Battlestar Galactica, ST:TNG, Deep Space 9, Voyager, Dr Who, Atlantis and SG-1 thoroughly, and Sam Carter stands head and shoulders above any other techno-babbler in that regard. AT is the most convincing.
                            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove

Well said!! And I posted this next part a while ago after watching an interview, but I thought I would post it again for any newbies ... An exceutive producers J.G. talks about who Sam Carter as portrayed by Amanda Tapping. There are clips of S1 through S4, so I’m guessing the interview was in s4 or promoting S5. Here are his comments ...

"AT as Samantha Carter couldn't be more perfect for the part because, we needed a woman who could be very strong and you believe as a solider. Has combat training and been in some wars. And who is a brilliant scientist. And who is a beautiful woman. Finding an actress that can do all three of those things convincingly is very difficult." And as he stated AT is perfect for the role! She breathed life into Captain, Major, Lt. Colonel Sam Carter, soldier, scientist and woman.

Comment

since everyone is taking it so well, i guess i don't need to drag out my mod hat.

HOwever i do need to say that, while opinions are welcome, the title of this thread IS 'sam's a great character' so posts that may be meant to troll or denegrate the character really aren't on topic
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X