Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suse
    Jeepers!:groan: It's ((LadyJeep))! Good to see you!

Originally posted by Kliggins
    Hi

((((Suse)))) and ((((Kliggins))))

It's good to see you guys!!!!!
    In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
    so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
    Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
    Hic Comitas Regit
    Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
    Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      Season 6 Ave. 1.7 = 1.33 Million Households
      Season 7 Ave. 1.8 = 1.42 Million Households
      Season 8-10 1.0 Rating = 1.34 Million Households
      Season 8 Ave. 2.1 = 2.77 Million Households
      Season 9 Ave. 1.8 = 2.47 Million Households
      Season 10 Ave.* 1.5 = 2.01 Million Households
      Call me obtuse (and, Heaven knows, I'm no great fan of S8-10) but even the supposedly calamitous numbers for S10 represent a greater number of households tuning in than for S6 & S7. Also, as more households get cable, the ratings points themselves become diluted. No, I think # of households is the money number here (to say nothing of ancillary sales). What surprises me is that the show didn't take a bigger hit, on average, when RDA left (apparently taking .3 million households with him).

As for the almost half a million who have "ankled" between S9 and S10, maybe they're as bored with the Ori as I am. Maybe full-time Vala isn't getting it done for them. Maybe they got tired of waiting for the new formula to settle into place. Maybe none of the above. Who knows? But while S6 & S7 were clearly superior, IMO, as many as a million households appear to disagree.

P.S.: As relative as all this is, I see that no S8-10 episode has hit the Marianas Trench ratings depth plumbed by S7's Enemy Mine. Though we might be getting close ...

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        But hey, 9 pages of Amanda pics - I wouldn't be reading even if it was in english Though I did notice alot of Amanda/Torri sigs...
        You & me both, dude. Thanks for the link. Like DEM, I'm a diehard Sam/Janet booster (and, after umpteem viewings, I'm certain they were implying an AU Sam/Janet pairing in the finale of Ripple Effect), but those Weir/Carter siggies are ... well, hawt doesn't begin to do justice to them. Yes, I'm one happy camper tonight.

Originally posted by DEM
        And that would fall in place with Jacob not being around to give Sam away. So she asks O'Neill if he would do the honors - and give her away to ...
        http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1.../thebrides.jpg
        Keep it up & you're a shoo-in for knighthood in the Order of the Blue Jello.

Now the men get scantily dressed women, explosions, and action heroes. Now the women don't get enough Sam, and when they do, it's not the Sam we've known from other seasons. I have no doubt that men like Sam, but she's got a legion of women followers who think she's a great character-hence this thread.
        I just about had a spit-take when I read that, L.A. Doyle. No offense, but I feel like I'm being stereotyped. Yeah, gimme some explosions, sure, but I started watching the show primarily because of Amanda Tapping and my favorite characters in the SG-verse are Carter, Fraiser & Weir.
        So there are guys out there who think Sam has been wronged of late (aka the Dumbassification Of Sam, starting in S7) and want to see the show get back to the crisp, smart, über-competent Carter of S1-5 — and no "pining" after Jack, either. (Just as I can't stand, detest, despise seeing Daniel tied to Vala's apron strings now.)
        Heck, I'd even settle for some of the testy, chip-on-shoulder Sam who was phased out during S1. At least having her do SG:A crossovers means more Sam-Rodney friction, which is at least one (big) step in the right direction.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
          I just about had a spit-take when I read that, L.A. Doyle. No offense, but I feel like I'm being stereotyped. Yeah, gimme some explosions, sure, but I started watching the show primarily because of Amanda Tapping and my favorite characters in the SG-verse are Carter, Fraiser & Weir.
          So there are guys out there who think Sam has been wronged of late (aka the Dumbassification Of Sam, starting in S7) and want to see the show get back to the crisp, smart, über-competent Carter of S1-5 — and no "pining" after Jack, either. (Just as I can't stand, detest, despise seeing Daniel tied to Vala's apron strings now.)
          Heck, I'd even settle for some of the testy, chip-on-shoulder Sam who was phased out during S1. At least having her do SG:A crossovers means more Sam-Rodney friction, which is at least one (big) step in the right direction.
          I have to agree with L.A. Doyle. 9/10th of Sams fans are women. I dont understand why but thats the way it is. I'm a guy and I have liked Sam ever since the first episode I saw. I'm most likely the only guy thats ever posted in this thread...

Comment

Oh! I didn't mean to stereotype. Very sorry if you took it that way. I did mention that men come here and I know not all guys see it that way, nor do all women. I'm a little bit of both myself. I like explosions and a competent Carter-preferably Carter being the one causing the explosions. I was just trying to say why I felt more men were watching now, and general reasons why they might be, and why the women might not.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Minister
              I have to agree with L.A. Doyle. 9/10th of Sams fans are women. I dont understand why but thats the way it is. I'm a guy and I have liked Sam ever since the first episode I saw. I'm most likely the only guy thats ever posted in this thread...
              There are other guys that post here.

I find it strange though that there are thunk threads for practically everyone but Sam. Even Anubis has a thunk thread. We thunk and plathunk here, but mostly discuss the character.

So, looking at the online fandom alone, it would seem Sam fans are mostly women. Maybe we are just the most vocal? How do conventions play out? Even amounts of both genders or what?

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle

I find it strange though that there are thunk threads for practically everyone but Sam. Even Anubis has a thunk thread. We thunk and plathunk here, but mostly discuss the character.

So, looking at the online fandom alone, it would seem Sam fans are mostly women. Maybe we are just the most vocal? How do conventions play out? Even amounts of both genders or what?
                LOL I find that very strange indeed. I thought about making one for her but I dont know...

Hey Anubis rocks! SHe deserves a thunk thread! Yes Anubis can be a she! Anubis is a black cloud it can be a she just as easy as a he! lmao!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                  Oh there most certainly are We even have laws for bicycle helmets for kids.....you know a brain is a terrible thing to waste!
                  *waiting patiently for snarky comments *
                  Cameron has a brain? When did TPTB write that in?
                  Is that one of the S10 improvements?

Was that goode enough
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                    Cameron has a brain? When did TPTB write that in?
                    Is that one of the S10 improvements?

Was that goode enough

Thats great! Yeah when did Mitchell get a brain???

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

I think you forgot the umlat over firely teal'c.
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Minister
                        You go LM! lol
                        See, normally this would be green worthy but since I already gave you they pity rep I have non left to give you for the big 5 -0-0.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                          See, normally this would be green worthy but since I already gave you they pity rep I have non left to give you for the big 5 -0-0.
                          thanks for the pity rep. lol

See SGA Love and i are having a compitition to see who can get the most rep and shes winning! I cant loose! lol

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle

I think girls are more prevalent on the characters and relationships board as it is. Maybe it's because we tend to like to discuss relationships and gossip more? I don't know, I'm being stereotypical I don't even like to do those things, but I do like discussing characters. Do girls just like to talk more? Well anyway, from the few conventions I've been to so far, it seemed like there were as many guys as there were girls, so as far as that goes, there doesn't seem to be one gender that is likely to be more common.

You & me both, dude. Thanks for the link. Like DEM, I'm a diehard Sam/Janet booster (and, after umpteem viewings, I'm certain they were implying an AU Sam/Janet pairing in the finale of Ripple Effect), but those Weir/Carter siggies are ... well, hawt doesn't begin to do justice to them. Yes, I'm one happy camper tonight.

Keep it up & you're a shoo-in for knighthood in the Order of the Blue Jello.

Hmm, I have to admit I like Sam pining over Jack but then, I have been an avid J/S shipper for a while. I also don't always like the Sam/Rodney moments. Sometimes I think they are funny, but then other times I just get annoyed with them competing, well Rodney trying to compete anyway.

I do miss seeing Sam using the techno babble and being the only one who can figure out the advanced weapon, or what have you. We have seen a bit of that in the later seasons, but many times she also has help from either Daniel, or one of the other scientists. I don't feel like Sam has been dumbed down or anything like that, but it is true that that aspect of her character does not seem to be seen as often.
                            Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
                            Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                              Third: How is everyone doing on the fics for the Sam Carter ficathon? Please tell me I'm not the only one only half done?
                              Mine's about done, just needs betaing. I'm paranoid about something happening to delete it, so I've saved it to my computer at home, my university computer account, ff.net, my e-mail and two floppy disks.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                                You know, I'm not really sure why there needs to be a constant degrading of Mitchell (and to a lesser extent. Vala) here. If you dont like the character, thats fair enough, but this is the Sam thread. I get pissed off by certain Daniel fans always posting crap about Sam, and I'm seeing the same thing here except its now Sam fans doing it about Mitchell. Posting about how Mitchell is a crap character doesnt make Sam a great character....
                                Great post AD and congrats on 3000 posts!!!
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X