Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    TJ, I think your perseverance in your graduate program in linguistics is awesome! That takes a lot of stamina like Sam in her astrophysics program!

Good luck with final exams!

Open the Royal Bar once they're over and invite us over for a celebratory drink!
    Thanks I shall be a graduate in just two weeks (I'm actually still an undergrad at the moment) wooohoooooo! I wouldn't say it takes perseverence, though, just a lot of good luck.

Trust me, I'll be throwing a huge honking amandafied party the minute my exams are over!
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
      As many of you know, I'm in the middle of exams and the moment, and my German translation exam this morning was interesting to say the least. It was about a German scriptwriter called Wolfgang Kohlhaase, who made films in the DDR. He talked about how the most important thing in filmmaking was that it was about real people, that there was a possibility that these things could be happening on your doorstep. He said that he believed people wanted to see human beings on the screen, people like them who had thoughts and feelings, who talked like them and dealt with the same emotions they dealt with. People don't want to see a two dimensional hero, they want someone they can relate to.

This is what I think TPTB used to do so well with Sam. She wasn't some out-there hero, and she wasn't an underdog either. She was a normal woman (albeit an incredibly intelligent one). She dealt with the same insecurities as us, she grew and developed like a real person.

Though I'm pretty sure this isn't what Kohlhaase meant (he isn't a huge fan of fantasy and science fiction, from what I understand), the character development that he so rightly champions is continually evident in Sam Carter. The thing that worries me somewhat, however, is the lack of this doctrine, this belief in recent writing. Where are these people we can relate to? These feelings we have dealt with? These scenarios that are possibly happening on our front doorstep?

The more big budget space ships and explosions we get, the less we focus on the characters. As Kohlhaase says, special effects only get you so far. Their repercussions are worthless without characters that you care about, that you believe in. Who cares about a big space battle when you don't know the characters that are fighting for survival? What use is a character death if you have no interest in those it will affect.

Kohlhaase says that the most important thing in filmmaking is real people. They want to see people like them on the screen, it's what they need to see. A film has no impact, it will never make them think or contemplate, unless they can get inside and really feel for the people, relate to the people, imagine they are the people.

With the growing number of cardboard cutout characters on SG1 at the moment, this is something the PTB need to seriously consider. When Janet died, we not only felt for Janet, but for the whole team, losing someone so important to them. I look at certain events in season nine and ask myself "Did I really care."

Filmmaking, says Kohlhaase, is not an exercise in theory or artistic effects. It is an exercise in storytelling. The story of real people.

Great post, TJ. My daughter is a writer and was always taught to "write from what you know" ... make it real.

Comment

Late congrats to Sally on 6,700 posts and scifi_girl on 500 posts! Also, congrats to anyone else on new posts or achievements. I'm sorry if I missed you.

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
        I posted a new Motivational Poster on my LJ if anyone is interested in seeing it...

MY LJ - Potential
        That is very cool and inspirational

Originally posted by Deejay435
        Doing my part to keep us off page 2!

Another new sig:

Too true, too true.

Attention Samandans, are you willing to share?
        What has been a defining Sam-Carter moment in your own life?
        When did you feel empowered and at the top of your game?
        I don't have any fantastic Sam moments, but there are 2 things that come to mind. First of all, when I was in high school I was in this club called the save club. I started it with my homeroom teacher and a few friends. We saved money for kids at school who didn't have enough for things like a senior yearbook picture (at my school, if you didn't have the $22 for a professional photo, you weren't in the yb) and the fees for dances and things of that sort. It was simple things that most kids take for granted, but I knew there were students who wanted to take part in those school activities and couldn't. So that was something that I helped start and we did things like have sno-cone sales after school and of course held meetings and got the word out to students about what we were doing and how they could get help, while still keeping it confidential, so that the people we were helping wouldn't be given a hard time by anyone. I think that was a Sam kind of moment for me because she is always helping people and cares a lot about people. Also, for me to do something like that was big because I am a shy person and not usually one to speak up about issues, but it made me feel very good to help out like that.

Another moment was when I went to college. I live in California and I went to school in Virginia. I had tried school here and it just didn't work out. I felt like I was hanging on to my home and family and that the only way I would get anything accomplished would be to go to College out of state. I did have some friends up there that I stayed with for a while, but the rest of the time I was on my own. For the first time in 20 years, I left my mom, dad and twin sis and moved to the other side of the country for 4 years. I couldn't just quit and go back home if I was having a tough time. Before that, I could never talk to people I didn't know, or do anything on my own. I had to learn to become independent so that I could do what I needed to do to get through that time. I think to most people it probably seems like a small thing, but for me, it was really an accomplishment.

So, those are my Sam type moments
        Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
        Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Great post, TJ. My daughter is a writer and was always taught to "write from what you know" ... make it real.
          ah see, this is why i can't write. i don't know anything.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
            ah see, this is why i can't write. i don't know anything.
            That's not true! You know about what it's like to be the underdog!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
              and while we're thinking about the future of the show, has anyone read the new spoilers for season 10's "Bounty"? uummm... well.... at least sam (and teal'c) gets a mention, albeit briefly. but i'm thinking that for this episode i almost wish she didn't get a mention. i don't have a vomit smilie so i'll just say "affinty 2" anyone?
              Yes, I read it. *Slaps forehead* D'oh! At least Carter got a mention. Perhaps a tornado will come and take Cam off to...well not Oz cause that's too cool for him. How about somewhere far, far away....

Comment

I made a wallpaper of sam, i hope you all enjoy it. I made it with paint and irfanvieuw (i don't have photoshop or something like that so it is not that proffesional)

Comment

Wow, jckfan ... seems a lot of us are not investing in the S9 set. I'd love to know if some marketing director somewhere has the profit margins for each year's set of DVDs. Methinks S9 will not be coming out on top.
                  i doubt it. i'm sure there will be enough scapers who are interested to make up for those of us that won't buy it

i know i used to shell out a ton of money to buy the discs individually from the uk because i couldn't wait for the us release. i'm not doing that anymore

s9 is barely worth putting on my christmas list, it's sure as heck not worth shelling out 100+ dollars for.

i'll save my money for something else
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

ack, few pages behind.
                    If PT stands for physical therapy and rebuilding your life, then I'd say woman you have definitely had a Sam-Carter experience. They just never gave Sam the opportunity to fight back like that from a war injury ... it would have made a great episode! Or if PT is boot camp, then it's just as impressive.
                    thank you! and PT as in physical training (the latter). the only other one i can think of was my dad dieing when i was thirteen. that was...tough.

wow, law school in a forgien language?! wow.
                    TJ, DJ and Forever, all of your sigs/posters need to go in the SaGC "Welcome to My Life" book. i love them

i'm not buying season 9
                    Spoiler:
                    (ESPECIALLY not for the sam-in-leather ep). stagate ended with a beautiful, deep scene with the whole team fishing at jack's cabin.
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Season 9??? It depends on some things.
                      If season 10 is good then maybe I'll need to see season 9 to comprehend some things. I promised myself I would follow Stargate til it's end but yeah... now... I'm not too sure about that.
                      So, or I wait till S9 here airs and tape it *only those with good Sam stuff of course* or I buy if it's worth the price. Like cool bonuses and behind the scenes and... stuff.
                      First I need to buy S5, 6 and 8. I think that's priority.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                        Yes, I read it. *Slaps forehead* D'oh! At least Carter got a mention. Perhaps a tornado will come and take Cam off to...well not Oz cause that's too cool for him. How about somewhere far, far away....
                        OK, I'm gonna make this the least "bashy" as possible when I ask:

Spoiler:
                        How the heck can anyone - ANYONE - bounty hunter, or not, just up and kidnap both Sam AND Teal'c whenever they choose? How is that possible? Is it on Earth? But that makes no sense. The guy would have a struggle with just Sam, and a struggle with just Teal'c, but together? And then, ya know, once they're in the bind, they have to rely on Cameron?! Cameron, of all people?!

It's still too early to tell, but on the surface, there are already a lot of holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                          Thanks I shall be a graduate in just two weeks (I'm actually still an undergrad at the moment) wooohoooooo! I wouldn't say it takes perseverence, though, just a lot of good luck.

Trust me, I'll be throwing a huge honking amandafied party the minute my exams are over!
                          a huge honking amandafied party When I finish my exams I'm going catch up on the stuff i've missed her while I've been revising, buy season 6 cause I havent got that one and hope that i pass my exams so that i can graduate in july.

as for the season 9 box set i dont think ill buy one, if i like season 10 and buy that then ill just put up with the gap in my collection. i just didnt like season 9, so i dont see any point buying it. ive enjoyed all the stargate seasons up until season 9. i think ill keep my money and buy something else, maybe some more shoes, a girl can never have too many pairs of shoes

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                            OK, I'm gonna make this the least "bashy" as possible when I ask:

Spoiler:
                            How the heck can anyone - ANYONE - bounty hunter, or not, just up and kidnap both Sam AND Teal'c whenever they choose? How is that possible? Is it on Earth? But that makes no sense. The guy would have a struggle with just Sam, and a struggle with just Teal'c, but together? And then, ya know, once they're in the bind, they have to rely on Cameron?! Cameron, of all people?!

It's still too early to tell, but on the surface, there are already a lot of holes.
                            It's the Cam Show, don't you know? Everyone else has about two minutes of screentime, so there just wouldn't be enough time to show
                            Spoiler:
                            Sam and Teal'c fight the guy. Since they would put up such a struggle, it would take up more than their allotted 2 minutes.
                            Cam wouldn't get all his glory, and that just wouldn't do. Gee, I don't think I've ever been that sarcastic in my life!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              That's not true! You know about what it's like to be the underdog!

(i guess i've definitely never had a sam carter moment! )

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                                It's the Cam Show, don't you know? Everyone else has about two minutes of screentime, so there just wouldn't be enough time to show
                                Spoiler:
                                Sam and Teal'c fight the guy. Since they would put up such a struggle, it would take up more than their allotted 2 minutes.
                                Cam wouldn't get all his glory, and that just wouldn't do. Gee, I don't think I've ever been that sarcastic in my life!
                                And by the way
                                Spoiler:
                                Who needs to see them fight the guy off?!? We already saw such scenes a thousand of times They already proved themselves! We need to let Cam prove himself :more eye rolling:

I say sarcasme is good!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X