Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    Yeah, I agree there. But it depends whether your main purpose is giving to charity or whether it's to meet the actors. If it's to meet the actors, it seems a little... right thing wrong reasons to me, but that's not my thing. I like the little tithing reference there, Kat. I have to say, I'm bad, I don't tithe.
    Yeah, well I used to give money to anyone who called asking for it. I was naive. I always told myself that as long as I had extra money each month that I was doing better than a most of the planet, and anything I gave away I would receive back ten fold. Then one day I looked down at the overflowing basket of letters from charities asking for donations and the endless phone calls pleading for more money and I suddenly realized that I coudn't solve everyone's problem simply by writing out a check. So I put my name on the Do Not Call list and have slowly been telling charities to remove me from their list and now I'm slowly trying to find charities that I really want to be involved with because everyone seems to have a cause and you really never know who to trust.

As for giving away money to meet an actor, I'm sure I have differing views about it than most. My feeling is even if your heart is in for the wrong reasons, so what? Most Amercians businesses and citizens donate money to charities simply as a write off for their taxes. So how is this any different? It's not as if most are backing charities that they truly have a strong belief in or that they are willing to give up their own personal time to help out, which RDA and Amanda are doing. They are simply giving money to the charity they feel they can trust. Also, if someone was doing a raffle for charity and one of the prizes was to meet Amanda and RDA and it only cost a dollar, would anyone seriously pass up a chance of meeting them? So whether it's a dollar or $20,000 dollars, if you can afford it and it's something you are interested in, I say go for it because in the end RDA/Amanda are giving of themselves in order to raise as much money as possible for the charity and by bidding on the lunch you are helping them raise money so it's a win-win situation for everyone in my opinion.

Kat
    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 10 April 2006, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Hey Kat, since this is the "Sam" thread, I'm going to reply to you and Lida in the BJC. Suffice it to say ... absolutely (on the charity stuff) ... and it was never my intention to suggest you both weren't totally admirable and praise-worthy for helping out a very good cause. Amanda would be very proud to know that so many Samandans are supportive of her charity work. More in BJC...

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...21#post5143121
      Last edited by minigeek; 10 April 2006, 10:55 AM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I just dropped by GW to lurk on my favorite thread, only to find it on page 2! Can't have that.

Good luck to all of those bidding in the Waterkeeper auction. The winner will certainly be very lucky and very rich indeed.

On another topic - I am so looking forward to tonight's Stargate Monday - 'Sam and Jack save the day!' One of my all-time favorite Sam eps is in the lineup, Foothold. They are also showing Shades of Grey, Chain Reaction, and Paradise Lost. Looks like a good night of classic Stargate eps.

Does anyone else have a favorite ep where Sam save the day? What eps would you pick for a 'Sam saves the day' theme night?

Comment

Originally posted by Melora
          On another topic - I am so looking forward to tonight's Stargate Monday - 'Sam and Jack save the day!' One of my all-time favorite Sam eps is in the lineup, Foothold. They are also showing Shades of Grey, Chain Reaction, and Paradise Lost.
          Is Sci-Fi posting the titles of their theme nights somewhere? This looks like 'Harry Maybourne night' to me.

Comment

I just dropped by GW to lurk on my favorite thread, only to find it on page 2! Can't have that.

Good luck to all of those bidding in the Waterkeeper auction. The winner will certainly be very lucky and very rich indeed.

On another topic - I am so looking forward to tonight's Stargate Monday - 'Sam and Jack save the day!' One of my all-time favorite Sam eps is in the lineup, Foothold. They are also showing Shades of Grey, Chain Reaction, and Paradise Lost. Looks like a good night of classic Stargate eps.

Does anyone else have a favorite ep where Sam save the day? What eps would you pick for a 'Sam saves the day' theme night?
            Wow...is that the actual official theme? "Sam and Jack Save the Day"??

Okay... as for my Sam's the hero eps (because I personally think she's the hero in most of them), if I could only pick four, I'd go with Foothold, A Matter of Time, Exodus (dudes, she blew up a sun) and 2010 where she ensured the note went through to the past:

Last edited by Uber; 10 April 2006, 12:57 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
              Is Sci-Fi posting the titles of their theme nights somewhere? This looks like 'Harry Maybourne night' to me.
              That's so funny! That's what I thought the theme was too.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I've just realised this past couple of days how much I love this thread. I loved it already, but I suppose I mean I finally found out how unique Samanda is. Another thread that I frequent has been claiming that non-platonic thunking by women is inappropriate, and its members saying that the lesbian and bisexual women should set up a separate thread for their appreciation, and that drooling in any form is disrespectful.

What I love about Samanda is that everyone is accepted here, irrespective of gender and orientation, whether they are here to thunk or plathunk (I love that term!) and I also love the fact that we are allowed to have fun and there is no comeback for drooling over Amanda.

Well... if there were, AD, Myrth, Strix and I would be screwed

I really appreciate the fact that though Gateworld as a community seems to be becoming increasingly territorial, aggressive and unfriendly, Samanda remains one of those few safe havens where people are warm and accepting. Noone is turned away, noone gets flamed or abused, and we have a lovely balance between maturity and silliness.

And Sky doesn't have to punch us too often.

Sorry. Incoherant gushing over.
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Well as long as I am allowed to platonically thunk the stunningly beautiful and wonderful Amanda Tapping, you all can go about your business anyway you please.

Which reminds me of how irritated I get when other people make disparaging comments about her looks that are in no way based in reality. OR when Amanda HERSELF sees her reflection and doesn't see how amazingly gorgeous she is.

I mean...what's wrong with you, woman?!??? Even I...a PLA-thunker...can fully acknowledge your innate hawtness. Get a new mirror or...something. Geez.
                  Last edited by Uber; 10 April 2006, 01:11 PM.

Comment

LOFL at "Sam and Jack Save The Day" theme. I heard that last week, but I didn't realize it was true. Very cool. I'm gonna have to catch a few eps (before class, Strix ) tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                      I got the theme title from the Yahoo! Spoilergate list. I don't know if it is the official title from SciFi or not. But the 'Harry Maybourne' theme certainly works too (probably better).

Comment

Hive fives to Uber and big, huge hugs to TJ! Love you guys!

Agreed...it shouldn't matter whether it is thunking or plathunking, and I hardly think it is the business of other fans or posters to tell another which is appropriate. Everyone is unique and everyone should be accepted...it's lovely that the Samandan thread has managed to do that. I think I know what thread you're referring to, TJ, and I was lurking that day; I didn't quite know what to say that would help anything.

And the whole thing about making nasty, disparaging comments about another poster, actor, or actress really ruffles my feathers. I understand that the concept of beauty is wholly in the eyes of the beholder, and rightly so. But honestly, if you don't have something nice to say, why bother adding anything to the conversation at all? I'm a plathunker (heehee!) like Uber, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate Amanda's beauty. But even more than that, her kindness, humor, and personality are so incredibly beautiful and wonderful, how could you not love her?

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          Well as long as I am allowed to platonically thunk the stunningly beautiful and wonderful Amanda Tapping, you all can go about your business anyway you please.

Which reminds me of how irritated I get when other people make disparaging comments about her looks that are in no way based in reality. OR when Amanda HERSELF sees her reflection and doesn't see how amazingly gorgeous she is.

I mean...what's wrong with you, woman?!??? Even I...a PLA-thunker...can fully acknowledge your innate hawtness. Get a new mirror or...something. Geez.
                          I've been lurking in this thread for a while, and came across this post. Its funny because the other day I heard this song on the radio, "She Don't Know She's Beautiful" and thought, why has no one ever made a Sam/Amanda vid for this song? I can't do vids, don't have the right stuff to do them, just thought I'd throw it out there and see what people think.

Thanks Suekay for the sig!
                          http://www.fanfiction.net/~gatergina71

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                            LOFL at "Sam and Jack Save The Day" theme. I heard that last week, but I didn't realize it was true. Very cool. I'm gonna have to catch a few eps (before class, Strix ) tonight.
                            Good girl!

My LJ

Comment

I've just realised this past couple of days how much I love this thread. I loved it already, but I suppose I mean I finally found out how unique Samanda is. Another thread that I frequent has been claiming that non-platonic thunking by women is inappropriate, and its members saying that the lesbian and bisexual women should set up a separate thread for their appreciation, and that drooling in any form is disrespectful.

What I love about Samanda is that everyone is accepted here, irrespective of gender and orientation, whether they are here to thunk or plathunk (I love that term!) and I also love the fact that we are allowed to have fun and there is no comeback for drooling over Amanda.

Well... if there were, AD, Myrth, Strix and I would be screwed

I really appreciate the fact that though Gateworld as a community seems to be becoming increasingly territorial, aggressive and unfriendly, Samanda remains one of those few safe havens where people are warm and accepting. Noone is turned away, noone gets flamed or abused, and we have a lovely balance between maturity and silliness.

And Sky doesn't have to punch us too often.

Sorry. Incoherant gushing over.
                              Wow great post TJ and I do agree this is a great thread, and I'm sure Amanda would agree, since she said she come here when she's feeling down. Everyone here seems accepting of everyone else (we may tease the shippers/non shippers ) but it is all in fun. And if you find yourself drooling, your always welcome to borrow my bucket
                              (((TJ)))
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

... if there were, AD, Myrth, Strix and I would be screwed
                                Don't you wish!

My bad, I just couldn't resist! Love 'ya all and that's another thing about Samanda - most people here are pretty good sports!

Change of topic: I just took a peek at the Watershed/Save the River/Float your Boat auction and RDA and AT are leading the pack in popularity and bids! hehehehe What's with the old photo of AT resting her head on RDA's shoulder too as the promo pic at the GW link? Well I guess since ships float on water and water is the raison d'etre of the auction, it seems a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X