Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
    I couldn't decide between the two ... so I voted for both. Hopefully Sky won't kill me.
    I can't choose between 'In The Line Of Duty' or 'Matter of Time' either. I think I'll watch them both again, then pick.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
      I can't choose between 'In The Line Of Duty' or 'Matter of Time' either. I think I'll watch them both again, then pick.

That's a very good idea! I wish I could do that. I'm afraid I don't have S2 on tape or dvd, so I had to go on my memory, pictures and episode summaries.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
        LOL, Sal - what was it Oooberness once said to me? (to paraphrase): "I'd watch AT watching paint dry in a small room."

Gal's got skillz, baby.

PS Sal - I love the new avatar!!!
        Is there something wrong with that hunh?

Her paint watching skills are second to none, I tell ya.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Okay I just saw the promo spot done by MS during SciFi Monday. You think maybe they are getting the point that people are not really happy with the new shiny SG-1, they keep telling us we should like. The whole point of his talk was that people need to care about the characters. He said the success of the show orginally was great stories and the chemistry of the cast. His last line was "The characters care about each other then the audience will too"

Do you remember when they showed that they cared for each other instead of telling us?

Last edited by tsaxlady; 10 April 2006, 07:42 PM.
          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

"Foothold" was great tonight, as was "Chain Reaction". Some great Sam stuff in there. Her interaction with Maybourne is always fun to watch, and I love the little blushy smile she gets after he credits her with the save. *happy Sam dance*

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
              If the numbers of viewers are declining, then it is very possible that advertisers are less keen, so the show wouldn't be making as much money.

At this point, I don't think that the show would survive losing Amanda, Michael Shanks or Christopher Judge, let alone more than one of them.

A movie, whether TV or box office, starring the original quartet (quintet, if you count Hammond) would probably pull in more viewers and allow SG-1 the dignity of a decent ending, one last note of glory.
              Yes, I agree. If all the original actors agree to do the film, I think it would be in TPTB's best interest to feature them throughout most (if not all) of the film, even if the newbies are included too. Most people like the original characters the best, or at least would like to see them all together again. If they do it as a continuation of the show, it will probably not be the original SG-1 team. However, if they do things right, it could still be a great movie and one that I would be very anxious to see. We shall see how things play out.

Originally posted by majorsal
              if i had the money, i'd SOOOOOOOOO do this! amanda and rick are my fave ppl on this planet (after my family of course ), so... whether this money was going to charity or not, i'd still pay to have lunch with amanda and rick.

i don't have the money...

sally
              I would too, but the fact that it is going to charity makes it even cooler! That would probably be my only chance to meet RDA. Unfortunately, I don't have the money either. Whoever gets it sure is lucky! Because they get to have lunch with RDA and AT and because they have a lot of money to spend
              Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
              Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Just out of curiousity I watched the commercials during sci-fi Monday and it seemed ot me that a majority of the commercials are geared towtards working people (UPS Smallbusiness, Staples, IBM), homeowners (Clorox toilet cleaners, Centrum Vitamins, Duracell batteries, Lock-Tite Power GRab caulking, Oral B Toothbrush, Lime away bathroo/rust cleaner, Moen Plumbing fixtures, Lysol), adults (bankruptcy help with CareOne, the History Channel, Land Rover, Mazda, Jaguar, Honda, Int'l Car show, Optimum Autos, Mercury Car Insurance, Best Western, Sam AdAms, and your everyday ads like Bud Light (set in an office), Country Crock Shedd Spread Butter, Verizon Wireless, AOL, Netscape, various movies and DVDs, KFC, Subway, Burger King, Fig Newtons, Listerine Pocket Mints, Olive Garden. I did not see a lot of ads that scream to that elusive demographic the poeple that work on this show are falling all over themselves to attract and I doubt that elusive demo has the disposable income for some of these things especially Land Rovers and Jaguars and I doubt that ads like Lime Away, Listerine Pocket Mints, Oral B toothbrushes, Centrum Vitamins, Moen Plumbing fixtures, Lock-Tite caulking, Lysol, Clorox Toilet Cleaners or UPS for their small business needs are targeting THAT demographic. I found the ads very interesting - not in the asd sense but in what we are seeing as ads for this show, telling to me.

(Geez I really need to get a life right now.) There are a LOT of examples here to help make the point - who's watching this show?? Seems like they are targeting a little bit of everyone EXCEPT that elusive demographic. (Maybe I'll watch the commercials Friday (I won't be watching the repeat of, I think this one is CD but not sure as I cannot really tell which is which from S9 since I don't really care), if I am around, to see if they skew differently.) Sorry , not coming around too much because as you can see still bitter and still negative but just wanted to share the commercial stuff - not that anyone else is as hard-up as me for something to find interesting these days.)
                Last edited by binkpmmc; 10 April 2006, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  Is there something wrong with that hunh?

Her paint watching skills are second to none, I tell ya.

Nothing wrong with it. I'd want a camera in there, just to see how long she could watch the paint (with you watching her) in total silence, before one or both of you burst out laughing.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Well, I'm going to be the sod who casts a lone, insignificant vote for Secrets. Despite how freakin' awesome both In the Line of Duty and Matter of Time truly are, I think that Secrets is the episode that reveals the most about Sam as a person. And Amanda Tapping and Carmen Argenziano just do so much with so little in that one. With just a couple of scenes you get a complete picture of Carter's past relationship with Jacob, no "filling in the gaps" necessary. They just drop in an entire previously unexplored facet of Sam's character with ease and grace, leaving you wanting more. And you just know more is coming, too. That's how you get people excited and interested in a character. I'll take Sam crying alone in a room over explosions, space ships, and hot alien sex of the week any day. Top that off with Carter shaking it off, not letting it affect her behavior in the subsequent battle with Heru'ur ("bad day" aside), and you've got a real winner of an episode.

Honestly, though, for me season two isn't so much a great season for the individual characters as much as it is a great season for the team. For me, it's the little character moments sprinkled thoughout season two that really develop the characters into The Team. It's Carter's and O'neill's chat about wormholes in Matter of Time, Daniel and Teal'c's "argument" about Sha're in Secrets that mirrors their argument about Drey'auc in the preceding episode, the funny Jack/Daniel stuff in Fifth Race, all of 1969. Oh, yeah, and everyone's little chat with Apophis in Serpent's Song. And that's just off of the top of my head.

Yep, long live the team. Great stuff, right from the beginning. No "sophmore slump" for this show (sorry, Atlantis).

PS
                    Let me know if I have to PM my vote still or if this post will suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                      Okay I just saw the promo spot done by MS during SciFi Monday. You think maybe they are getting the point that people are not really happy with the new shiny SG-1, they keep telling us we should like. The whole point of his talk was that people need to care about the characters. He said the success of the show orgianlly was great stories and the chemistry of the cast. His last line was "The characters care about each other then the audience will too"

Do you remember when they showed that they cared for each other instead of telling us?

I actually laughed when I saw this one by MS and said out loud "what a joke". I do not believe that they could fathom that the fans are not happy and that a lot of people are not invested in and do not care about mitchell and vala. The "caring about each other" bit was a total joke - that was almost nonexistent in S9. Personally the only reason(s) I am still even watching the current season on tape from a friend is because of the BIG 3 and that's it - loyalty to them but if S10 doesn't improve that loyalty will not hold me.

I also found it interesting that once again Brad Wright was front and center in the Vancouver Sun article - where in the world is cooper (I hope they finally locked him in the closet where he belongs and that all this Brad Wright stepping more to the forefront of SG1 articles and interviews, as opposed to SGA, is a good sign and a sign of cooper's lesser involvement as SG1 showrunner (or better named run-show-into-ground runner).

Comment

LOL, Sal - what was it Oooberness once said to me? (to paraphrase): "I'd watch AT watching paint dry in a small room."

Gal's got skillz, baby.

PS Sal - I love the new avatar!!!
                        why does it have to be WET paint?
                        sigpic
                        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                          Okay I just saw the promo spot done by MS during SciFi Monday. You think maybe they are getting the point that people are not really happy with the new shiny SG-1, they keep telling us we should like. The whole point of his talk was that people need to care about the characters. He said the success of the show orgianlly was great stories and the chemistry of the cast. His last line was "The characters care about each other then the audience will too"

Yup. That's it tsax. SHOW ME.

You know what I think one of the most touching moments of this last season was? And really, there were only a couple to start with.

It was that moment in Ethon. Teal'c sees Sam survived and felt relief wash over him. He was so moved that he reaches out and touches her arm. His eyes are glazed with unshed tears. He tells her he's happy to see her and she smiles softly.

THAT is SG-1. Those moments. Those character beats. Those magical seconds where no special effects were required.

No Asgard beams.

No big honkin' ships in a super duper space battle.

No fantastical magic Oooober weapon that they need to find to save the day.

Just two people who know each other inside and out...flaws and all...who deeply love each other unconditionally and without boundaries. Just two friends...each of whom would gladly sacrifice himself or herself to save the other.

No longwinded speeches about how they're family.

Just a look, a touch and a smile.

Can I have that back please?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                            No longwinded speeches about how they're family.

Just a look, a touch and a smile.

Can I have that back please?

*sniff*

*sob*

And uh... yeah... that Sam Carter ... great character, eh?

-

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Oh geez, now you have ME all choked up, Uber!!! Can't put it any better than that -- the characters make the show, and seeing them act like the family that they really are is always soooo lovely. Heck, if moments like that can make me cry, they can get anyone! The hug between Teal'c and Sam tonight for instance -- just a friend being a friend, and hardly any dialogue was needed. You just know how much all of these people mean to each other, and when that comes through on screen it's beautiful.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Nothing wrong with it. I'd want a camera in there, just to see how long she could watch the paint (with you watching her) in total silence, before one or both of you burst out laughing.
                                Well, let's play this out, shall we?

I'd smile and then try to supress it.

She'd see me smile and smile in return then try to suppress it.

I'd see her see me suppressing a smile and I'd smile again, trying harder to supress the new smile.

She'd see me seeing her see me trying to suppress the new smile and she'd smile again, then clear her throat to try to concentrate on the OH so fascinating paint as it's drying.

I'd see the new smile, hear her clearing her throat, know that she's having a tough time keeping the smile down and snort a laugh.

She'd hear me snort the laugh...and look at me wide-eyed. We'd maintain that pose for a few seconds and then we'd both burst out laughing simultaneously.

So how long??? I'd say 18 seconds tops.

Comment

Working...
                                X