Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and i miss the fact that, she got a second snake and...nada. zip, zilch

poor girl, it's gotta be getting crowded in there

i'm watching bloodlines and i like the sam who's larking about on chulak - 'i haven't been to church in a while' 'i really, really, really hate these things'
    and who lobs grenades at jaffa
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      and i miss the fact that, she got a second snake and...nada. zip, zilch

poor girl, it's gotta be getting crowded in there

i'm watching bloodlines and i like the sam who's larking about on chulak - 'i haven't been to church in a while' 'i really, really, really hate these things'
      and who lobs grenades at jaffa
      LOL yes I remember that! Loved it!

Oh, I cannot for the life of me remember which early season six episode it was I was watching the other day where Sam actually had a line that included the words: "I daresay..." (and it was serious conversation, not some weird jokey line)

I just about spewed my diet coke all over the TV. Is it just me, or are the words "I daresay..." not A REALLY WEIRD choice for a Sam Carter line??? It was kind of like a couple of times when I've read fanfic and Sam's said the word "Whilst". It's a Brit-ism, I know, but it's totally not something most Americans or even Canadians say in casual conversation.

LOL,
      mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

did anyone see the newest amanda pics from the lake louise ski thinger? there from rda's website, in the updates section.

http://rdanderson.com/

click on updates and then scroll down to CELEBRITY SPORTS INVITATIONAL AT LAKE LOUISE - January 13-14, 2006

at the bottom of the page, it says 'click *here* for more information and pictures'. do that.

amanda's pics are: the last in the sixth row and first in the seventh.

i'm sure kate (who runs rda's site) approved this, which means rda did, which means amanda did.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
          No offense to anyone here but I do not understand why discussion of Mitchell and his horribly immature and unprofessional behaviour is not appropriate for this thread. Yes this is Sam's a Great Character thread and I have acknowledged that I am currently, have been and will likely continue to be, very down on this show but when I discuss Mitchell I am also discusisng Carter and the fact that, even if not stated directly, I think she is a hell of a better soldier and leader then Mitchell is as written and I do not know why I should not be able to discuss my opinions on how I think Mitchell's behaviour diminishes him, his teammates and the show. Carter is clearly a better leader and discussion of the Mitchell debacle is related . . .

Well anyway - I am not really sure what I want to say but I do not post as often simply because I am down on the show in general and don't want to bring all of you down but whenever I do post anymore I feel guilty about it so I come even less and I start to restrict myself more to the anti-threads and the episode threads, I guess I just feel that since I am a supporter of Carter (and have been for many years now and it really is one of the few reasons I still watch at all, besides waiting in the vain hope for the TEAM aspect to retrun) I should be able to vent (at least once in awhile) and I should be able to discuss what is wrong, IMO, with Mitchell's character in relation to why Carter is so much better as the leader.

Thats' it - sorry if I have offended anyone - I'm tired, RL is hectic and I just do not like feeling guilty for feeling bad that one of my favorite characters is being made to suffer for such a poorly written, unprofessional, immature character who does not deserve to be co-leader of SG1, he could not touch Carter with a 100 foot pole she is so far ahead of him in so many ways.
          I suppose part of the reason AD may have made that remark is simply to remind people that this thread is about Sam and when we start discussing other characters we often become negative in our comments. I really don't care to listen to other people completely bash Sam. I don't mind contructive criticism. I don't mind discussing things she may or may not have done that was out of character or poorly written, ect, but to sit and simply hear someone call her names and put her down really bothers me. So I can totally empathize that there may well be readers on this thread who enjoy both Sam and Mitchell or Vala or Daniel or [insert name] and who really do not appreciate weeding through dozens of posts that knock a character they actually like inorder to read something positive about Sam.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to mention other aspects of the show in their posts, but perhaps we should take a bit more care in limiting the amount of negative comments we make about the other characters. I know I need to work on this issue as well.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            did anyone see the newest amanda pics from the lake louise ski thinger? there from rda's website, in the updates section.

http://rdanderson.com/

click on updates and then scroll down to CELEBRITY SPORTS INVITATIONAL AT LAKE LOUISE - January 13-14, 2006

at the bottom of the page, it says 'click *here* for more information and pictures'. do that.

amanda's pics are: the last in the sixth row and first in the seventh.

i'm sure kate (who runs rda's site) approved this, which means rda did, which means amanda did.

sally
            Thanks Sally Did you notice she's holding what has to be Olivia? You can see her little foot dangling

Comment

This is an excellent story.

The Hidden One by Gracie
              http://sgnovels.shahrazad.net/storiesh/hiddenone.txt

Also, several by Carrie:

Nothing Is Alone by Carrie (one of my personal favorites)
              http://www.stargatefan.com/fictionms...alonefull.html

No Such Thing by Carrie
              http://www.stargatefan.com/fictionkp/nosuchthing.htm

The Soul Senses by Carrie
              http://www.stargatefan.com/fictionqz...ensesfull.html

Sympathetic Lies by Carrie
              http://www.stargatefan.com/fictionqz...theticLies.htm

How the Mighty by Carrie
              http://www.stargatefan.com/fictionms/MSHowtheMighty.htm

Quagmire by Carrie
              http://www.stargatefan.com/fictionqz/Quagmire.htm

Vinum Sororum Nostrum by Carrie
              http://www.stargatefan.com/fictionqz/Vinumfull.html

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                See, I don't get that. Can you explain for me what about Sam/Jack turns you the wrong side of green, when you don't mind Sam with virtually any other warm body? I'm seriously curious. It is just his military rank? Well, but you don't seem to mind the idea of her and Cam too much either so it can't be that.. what is it? He too old? Too "not your type for Sam"? Or does he just squick you for a reason you can't figure out? I could understand that, that's the way I feel about Sam/Daniel fiction, frankly. Just makes me crawly and I can't give a rational explanation for it. Seriously. What's your angle on S/J. Spill.
                hehe

I guess it comes from my dislike of Sam/Jack in the actual show, which puts me off reading it in fic. I like Sam and I like Jack, I enjoy their friendship but I don't see it - or want to see it - go further than that.

Though when I think about it, I was put off in part by the idea of Sam and Jack by the shippers themselves. Very early on in the fandom, I came across some Sam/Jack stuff and I wasn't impressed by it at all. The add to the fact that the fic I was finding was very poorly written and characterised... I found Sam/Other pairings for the most part were MUCH better written and characterised. Obviously now I know where to go to find better quality Sam/Jack stuff, but it's probably too late by now.

So I ship Sam/Everyone bar Jack almost to spite the shippers I know I can have some fun at Uber and Spazzy's expense with it I don't really have an OTP, more pairings I enjoy (Sam/Janet, Sam/Teal'c and Sam/Kara ) but I have some fun with Sam/Anyone else. But I don't really want to see any of those pairings be canon on the show - subtext at most and leave it at that. The writers on Stargate do such a horrible job at canon ship anyway (seriously, Daniel/Shau'ri, Daniel/Sarah, Sam/Jack UST, Sam/Pete, Teal'c/Ishta etc etc) that it turns me off those.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  I suppose part of the reason AD may have made that remark is simply to remind people that this thread is about Sam and when we start discussing other characters we often become negative in our comments. I really don't care to listen to other people completely bash Sam. I don't mind contructive criticism. I don't mind discussing things she may or may not have done that was out of character or poorly written, ect, but to sit and simply hear someone call her names and put her down really bothers me. So I can totally empathize that there may well be readers on this thread who enjoy both Sam and Mitchell or Vala or Daniel or [insert name] and who really do not appreciate weeding through dozens of posts that knock a character they actually like inorder to read something positive about Sam.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to mention other aspects of the show in their posts, but perhaps we should take a bit more care in limiting the amount of negative comments we make about the other characters. I know I need to work on this issue as well.

Kat
                  Yeah, Kat pretty much nailed it. I definitely wasn't attempting to censor anyones opinions, it's just that *is* the Sam's a Great Character thread and it should be about Sam. Some of the posts just seemed to be moving towards a ragging of Mitchell in Stronghold, which is not what this thread is about.
                  I'd be more than happy to talk about it in the appropriate threads of course

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoPenguin
                    (Returning lurker here, trying to build up some fandom momentum by revisiting. Because the shows have me ready to stop caring...)

Regarding Mitchell, my husband is the diehard SG1 viewer in our household--I'm more into SGA--and he *hates* him. He was willing to give him a chance in the beginning, but now he's disgusted by the fact that no one producing this franchise seems to know just who Mitchell *is.* Is he the stoic who came back from a potentially debilitating injury? Is he a good ole boy who takes life as it comes and doesn't sweat the small stuff? Is he a headstrong, reckless type, or is he an angstmachine, carrying around all sorts of deep stuff that has yet to be mined?

Not to say that a character can't have facets. It's just that TPTB seemed to start throwing all sorts of possiblities at us before we were really grounded in the character. Now, we have no idea which is the *real* Mitchell, and that's why I think even you diehards are having a hard time feeling any affection for him.

(Hubby's giving up. I'm about to give up on SGA. I think Friday's about to become the "Go out with friends and then watch BSG on tape after we get home" night. It's starting to sound like a better use of our time.)

WARNING NEGATIVE POST FOLLOWS

I sadly agree Friday night's have started to become a go out night instead of stay at home to watch SG-1. I think Stronghold was sadly the final straw from me. I know there are several people that have defended the show and Mitchell's action, but I still get totally aggravated that the writers would write such a character as the team leader or co leader. I think BB is much better than this. I loved seeing Sam
                    Spoiler:
                    as the leader, but the negative action by Mitchell for me overshadowed that aspect. The team seems lost this year. The great chemistry that I loved for so long is non existent. Can the writers ever hope to recreate that chemistry? In my opinion they have had what 14 episodes?? After the first 4 episodes in s1. I loved that chemistry and what each character brought to the show. So I am disappointed that the same is not true this year.
                    Life is too short to become frustrated over a show that doesn't hold the same entertainment value it once did. I'll keep that small glimmer of hope alive and record future episodes and watch if my fellow smandans give it a good review. For those that love this new season then I (in all honesty and no malice) say congrats and enjoy.

EDIT: I just read several post before mine for the first time about not wanting to talk negative about the show and I guess I blew that out of the water. No offense intended to Kat, Agent Dark, or anyone else! I started this post before I read the current discussion. Sorry.
                    Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 30 January 2006, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Here's another nice gen story:

Forbidden by Julia Reynolds
                      http://www.stargatefan.com/fictiondj/forbidden.html

It may have just a hint of pre-shippiness to it... a hint that could easily be ignored, I think.

My LJ

Comment

Agent_Dark: I like Sam and I like Jack, I enjoy their friendship but I don't see it - or want to see it - go further than that.
                        That's exactly how I feel AD. Exactly.
                        Though when I think about it, I was put off in part by the idea of Sam and Jack by the shippers themselves. Very early on in the fandom, I came across some Sam/Jack stuff and I wasn't impressed by it at all. The add to the fact that the fic I was finding was very poorly written and characterised... I found Sam/Other pairings for the most part were MUCH better written and characterised. Obviously now I know where to go to find better quality Sam/Jack stuff, but it's probably too late by now.
                        In some ways, originally, I think a small part of me actually wanted Sam and Jack to be together. A combination of finding online fandom, and the relationship/romance heavy style episodes coming from season7 at the time, put me off the idea of Sam and Jack actually entering into a relationship. I have nothing against shippers, I certainly like those of them I've met here in Samanda, but somehow the very fact that there were so many people out there who were desparately wanting Sam and Jack to be together on Stargate put me off ship. So, I'm not an anti-shipper, I can just think of other aspects of the show I like better. This may also stem from the fact that I like scifi shows for the very reason that they're not like other shows when it comes to being all about relationships and romance.
                        But then I'm the one who keeps getting ragged from people in RL because I like watching scifi instead of domestic (is that the right word?) tv, and I like listening to computer game music instead of love songs.
                        I haven't read a lot of fic yet anyway, and I've mostly been sticking to the Samfic style ones. I haven't ventured into the Sam/Jack ship fic because while there might be some good stuff, I also feel that the fic might be a fan's way of making the ship dominate the story. And to tell you the truth, it scares me to even think about how some might write Jack and Sam just in the name of ship. I do notice some fic are labelled with 'adult themes' etc...
                        That is I guess why I like Sky's fic. I know I can always go there and find some harmless Sam and Jack friendship, which I thoroughly enjoy.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I think so too. Sam's never had it easy in the emotional department. Which is why I think she's always found it easier to go after the proverbial "bird with the broken wing". Broken-people are people she can not only concentrate on fixing, but also would have less to prove to, because they're already broken in their own right, which means that no matter what her own failings may be, she's not up against someone she feels is more adept (emotionally) than she is. Someone fatally flawed is easier to open up to as well. There's less risk involved.
                          did anyone else, besides me, think that pete was totally dwarfed by sam in about every way?

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

I watched "Nightwalkers" tonight on DVD - what an awesome Sam episode. I'd almost forgotten how great it was. From the scientistSam who sets to work cracking the Goa'uld cypher, to the kick-arseSam who manages *not* to be taken as a host, takes out a whole ROOM full of Goa'uld and then goes after the last two with attitude, on her own (leaving Teal'c and Jonas tied to chairs, I loved that lol). Aw man, I miss that Sam...

AD--I'm sure you also remember that episode for the awesome leather pants???

i LOVED nightwalkers!

the 'only' thing i would have changed was sam *really* dealing with taking another symbiote (and it dying in her, AGAIN).

sam was in total charge in that ep, and TOTALLY cool why she did it!

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

I just about spewed my diet coke all over the TV. Is it just me, or are the words "I daresay..." not A REALLY WEIRD choice for a Sam Carter line??? It was kind of like a couple of times when I've read fanfic and Sam's said the word "Whilst". It's a Brit-ism, I know, but it's totally not something most Americans or even Canadians say in casual conversation.
                              Doesn't sound particularly Samish to me .
                              It happens though. I'm rereading Narnia at the moment and I have to keep catching myself so that I don't taint my aussie speech with words like gosh, golly, I daresay, I mightn't, don't let's, by gum, by jove, etc...

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I watched "Nightwalkers" tonight on DVD - what an awesome Sam episode. I'd almost forgotten how great it was. From the scientistSam who sets to work cracking the Goa'uld cypher, to the kick-arseSam who manages *not* to be taken as a host, takes out a whole ROOM full of Goa'uld and then goes after the last two with attitude, on her own (leaving Teal'c and Jonas tied to chairs, I loved that lol). Aw man, I miss that Sam...

AD--I'm sure you also remember that episode for the awesome leather pants???

Oops, forgot to respond to this earlier but - I FREAKIN LOVE NIGHTWALKERS!
                                Sam and Leather pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *droooooooooooooool* And the gloves and the long jacket and the black sunglasses........... *droooooooooooooool* So much eye candy

Comment

Working...
                                X