Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocdoc
    I see what you're saying, and appreciate your sensitivity. I do think, however, we have also had alot of positive comments about the possibility of good interaction between Sam and Vala. We've had discussions about the potential of the relationship between Sam and Vala for season 10 (For me, I just am leary about the writers---can they write this well?) So I think the tone about this has been maybe a bit more positive rather than negative.

As far as Mitchell--I've been really restrained about this--I'm like a yoyo with him because I want to like him and sometimes I do, and then I get frustrated because his behavior makes me crazy. A key theme of this thread that I remember from long long ago is that the majority here wanted Sam to continue to lead SG-1 in season 9. We want to see militarySam and scientist Sam, regardless of all of our varied preferences. Many including me felt that she was not given this chance in season 8 like she should have had. So here comes season 9 and she is at best, co-leading with Mitchell. So, when I see Mitchell making some mistakes, it is difficult for me not to be frustrated. I'm not bashing Mitchell--I'm just frustrated that he is leading when I don't think he shows the signs of a good leader. Discussing Mitchell is bound to come up on this thread because of the leadership issue. (And Maybe AT would not be upset that Sam fans really wanted Sam to lead!!!! ).

Now a number of people have mentioned liking the interactions between Sam and Mitchell, and I'm one of them. I like their friendship, but need to know more about their backstory. They have an ease about them, IMO. This I have enjoyed so far. It's just that darn leadership issue that keeps nagging at me.
    You're not alone on the leadership issue, choc. And I think it's what has fueled many of our emotions for S9. I don't think we have to apologize for our strong feelings (in many ways our defense of what we interpret as TPTB's disrespect for the character of Sam this season) but I also credit Kat and spaz for their well written posts urging moderation and balance and a return to a more positive tone.

This thread did pride itself on being a "peaceable kingdom" at one time. I would like to see it continue in that way and hope it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
      The ratings are out for Stronghold and GUP:
      http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...uary27ra.shtml

Atlantis beat SG-1 in the first showing... Does anyone think that shows AT has ratings power? Or is it wishful thinking on my part? SG-1fanintn?
      Just saw the results and LOL ... yes, I share your wishful thinking!

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
        Good question. In 48 Hours, I'd say she more than didn't like him. And through most of Redemption(s), as well. He was arrogant, and bossy, and put Teal'c's life in danger. He was dismissive of Sam's skills, and demeaning to her personally. And more than how he treated her badly, he was rude, and again, dismissive, and obnoxious to everyone else around her.

The infirmary scene may have helped Sam see Rodney in a different light, and probably gave her some empathy toward him. But was that really enough to overcome all of the above and make her really like him?

I don't know. I know she didn't deny it when he, for want of a better term, accused her of liking him. I've always seen Sam as someone who is pretty forgiving. But that's different from really liking him, really seeing him as someone you might want to have as a friend. I think it would take more effort on McKay's part to really get her there. But that could just be me projecting, too.
        Welcome to Samanda, Deejay! Yes, that whole Rodney-Sam dance is fun to watch and makes you wonder, could Sam ever really like this guy?! I loved that final scene in Redemption (?) where they're walking down the hallway and he's leaving and she totally surprises him with the kiss. And then she admits to liking him more when he's more obnoxious! Maybe she does have a thing for the lunatic and arrogant fringe, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
          [
          Am I the only one who thinks that she doesn't like him? Respects his capability, maybe. Seriously, is Sam allowed to not like someone who isn't an obvious villain?
          I don't think she likes him. In the 2nd episode he was in when he walked in she was really annoyed. I thought the little peck on the cheek at the end was so not in keeping with the rest of the episode unless she was just messing with him. Which is entirely possible from the look on her face as she walked away.

Comment

The ratings are out for Stronghold and GUP:
            http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...uary27ra.shtml

Atlantis beat SG-1 in the first showing... Does anyone think that shows AT has ratings power? Or is it wishful thinking on my part? SG-1fanintn?

Why would you think that Strix, Just because a week before RE they were complaining about ratings going down. Then after RE they said ratings were bouncing back. It had nothing to do with
            Spoiler:
            15 Sam's in the episode

As for GUP, well it is only the second time the ratings went up and probably had nothing to do with the fact
            Spoiler:
            the only time SGA ever beat SG1 is when AT guess starred on the show?

See even I can think like TPTB and put 2+2 together and come up with 5

Now how do we get their heads out of their butts and make them see the light
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              I don't think she likes him. In the 2nd episode he was in when he walked in she was really annoyed. I thought the little peck on the cheek at the end was so not in keeping with the rest of the episode unless she was just messing with him. Which is entirely possible from the look on her face as she walked away.
              I have to agree with you, I like it when we get to see the little evil streak in Carter After all you can't be nice to everyone all the time, especially McKay
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
                Am I the only one who thinks that she doesn't like him? Respects his capability, maybe. Seriously, is Sam allowed to not like someone who isn't an obvious villain?
                I believe the best way to describe Sam's interest in McKay is ... Sam tolerates McKay. He flusters Sam, which is good thing. He tends to throw her off-center and makes her really work for his praise. I think she's been around so many people that tend to be in awe of her intelligence and abilities that she needs to occassionally be brought back down to Earth. It keeps her humble to work with men and women who are her intellectual equals and who don't worship the ground she walks on, at least not publically. It's one of the reasons I enjoy seeing Sam work with McKay and Lee. They may or may not find her attractive, but they always keep her on her toes and hide any feelings they may have with snarky, often snide comments.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  I believe the best way to describe Sam's interest in McKay is ... Sam tolerates McKay. He flusters Sam, which is good thing. He tends to throw her off-center and makes her really work for his praise. I think she's been around so many people that tend to be in awe of her intelligence and abilities that she needs to occassionally be brought back down to Earth.
                  I agree. But, speaking of over zealous egos, did anyone see this past week's Atlantis? I guess you'd have to be in Canada, it was the season finale (Allies), and it was quite good. But McKay in that episode went head to head with Hermiod (whose ego probably rivals his own), but hey, he's an ASGARD, so he probably deserves the ego, lol - anyway, McKay tried to argue that he was just as smart as Hermiod a few times. He and Hermiod had some classic scenes that reminded me a great deal of the way he always interacts with Sam. And boyyyy was he (McKay) pompous about it.

I love McKay. Sometimes I think David plays him a little OTT (especially lately - he could come down a bit and be a little more believeable in my personal pov), but Rodney's such a great character, overall, you just love to despise him.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working my way through, but a third ditto on that, Kat. I'm saving up a big hug for you in November.
                    Wow, I'm not sure what I did to deserve all the nice comments, but thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                      I'll get to give her one in March! Watch out Kat! Once you get use to me...that hug's a coming! It will help you get ready for that Amanda hug you need!
                      ROFL... as long as noone gets offended when I start to squirm a bit, I'm ok with it.

Comment

Wow, I'm not sure what I did to deserve all the nice comments, but thanks
                        You're part of the family and we WUV you!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          Welcome to Samanda, Deejay! Yes, that whole Rodney-Sam dance is fun to watch and makes you wonder, could Sam ever really like this guy?! I loved that final scene in Redemption (?) where they're walking down the hallway and he's leaving and she totally surprises him with the kiss. And then she admits to liking him more when he's more obnoxious! Maybe she does have a thing for the lunatic and arrogant fringe, huh?
                          Thank you.

And yes, maybe she does. I have to admit that I, personally, adore Rodney. He's the reason I watch Atlantis. And that's despite the fact that, were I in Sam's shoes, I doubt I would have come quite as far in forgiving him as she seems to have.

I read a LJ essay someone wrote about Sam, and the thrill-seeking side of her personality. (Most clearly shown in Space Race.) And it posited that Sam's attraction to the lunatic fringe was an aspect of this side of her, because relationships with the crazier person get the adrenaline going. An interesting thought.

It's certain that dealing with Rodney McKay will never be easy, will always be a challenge. (Just keeping one's self from strangling him ten times a day would be a challenge.) And maybe she likes that dance. I'm just not entirely convinced that she likes him, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            I agree. But, speaking of over zealous egos, did anyone see this past week's Atlantis? I guess you'd have to be in Canada, it was the season finale (Allies), and it was quite good.[/color]

I
                            Hey minigeek, what station are you watching it on? I'm in Canada, but I don't have the shows ahead of SciFi
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                              Okay Strix i picked your post to quote - I've taken the Myers-Briggs a number of times and I always come out ENTP

As for the SG one well drum roll...........................................

See, this is what I had expected to get on that SG quiz and I got Sam.
                              I really don't see myself as a Sam, so I'm really curious as to what I answered that put me into that category. The only thing I can think of is the question where I answered inventor because none of the other answers seemed appropriate for me. I like creating and building things, so inventor seemed close...actually I prefer demolishing things and taking things apart but that wasn't an option.

The truth of the matter is I'm more like Linea - The Destroyer of Worlds.

Comment

See, this is what I had expected to get on that SG quiz and I got Sam.
                                I really don't see myself as a Sam, so I'm really curious as to what I answered that put me into that category. The only thing I can think of is the question where I answered inventor because none of the other answers seemed appropriate for me. I like creating and building things, so inventor seemed close...actually I prefer demolishing things and taking things apart but that wasn't an option.

The truth of the matter is I'm more like Linea - The Destroyer of Worlds.
                                I got Sam, and I answered that one teacher
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X