• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    hey, it's a sam/teal'c fic

http://geonncannon.livejournal.com/713470.html?#cutid1

and it's friendship too
    geonn just told me that he unlocked the fic. so you guys should be able to read it now
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      Uhhh, I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm from minigeek there
      Uh, yeah. I'm sarcastic as h*ll. Which is dangerous on the internet, because people can't always read through the lines as well as they can when you're makin' a face at them while you're talkin'. *g*
      Last edited by minigeek; 31 January 2006, 04:54 AM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        Oops, forgot to respond to this earlier but - I FREAKIN LOVE NIGHTWALKERS!
        Sam and Leather pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *droooooooooooooool* And the gloves and the long jacket and the black sunglasses........... *droooooooooooooool* So much eye candy
        it was a fun episode.

if you're ever in vancouver, head to Steveston. it's a real part of the city and a port/seaside town. there's a restaurant there right on the wharf where you can get fresh seafood and...you can walk down teh same streets and sit in the same booth of the same diner where they shot the episode

they also shot some macgyver there so you'll recognize the cannery

you can easily kill an afternoon just walking and enjoying and window shopping

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
          I can't help drawing parallels here to Amanda's life for real. Any actor on a long running series I guess. With the hours involved and certainly by all accounts, I think the "family" aspect of the cast and crew on a tv set, would be tough for a spouse to take. Being a part of something like that would be a bonding experience outside of the experience of most normal people.
          she said something liek that once in an interview. that the first year or so, she'd go out with the guys, to strip clubs and the such...but eventually realized that she didn't have to act like them to be one of them.

not to pry, but her hubby has to be a great guy to have her working so many hours and only really get to spend time wtih her during the off season.

from what i remember, when she got the job he had his job in toronto so he move his job to vancouver so that they coud be in the same city

sigpic

Comment

she said something liek that once in an interview. that the first year or so, she'd go out with the guys, to strip clubs and the such...but eventually realized that she didn't have to act like them to be one of them.

not to pry, but her hubby has to be a great guy to have her working so many hours and only really get to spend time wtih her during the off season.

from what i remember, when she got the job he had his job in toronto so he move his job to vancouver so that they coud be in the same city
            Great guy? Lucky guy!!!! Heck, I'm flying half the way around the world just to spend a weekend with her! (said very, very much tongue in cheek)

Truthfully, you know it has to be an interesting balancing act when trying to work 12+++ hours a day and still spend time with family.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
              Here's another nice gen story:

Forbidden by Julia Reynolds
              http://www.stargatefan.com/fictiondj/forbidden.html

It may have just a hint of pre-shippiness to it... a hint that could easily be ignored, I think.
              This has always been one of my favorites. And Night Terrors by Sally Reeves. Great writing and terrific stories!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                Great guy? Lucky guy!!!! Heck, I'm flying half the way around the world just to spend a weekend with her! (said very, very much tongue in cheek)

Truthfully, you know it has to be an interesting balancing act when trying to work 12+++ hours a day and still spend time with family.
                it does. which, i think, also explains how she jealously guards her private time. i do think she tries to balance cons with family and time with alan and olivia and tries to give the family preference over the con. which is also, i think, why he goes with her. it's a little vacation for him and they still get to spend time together.

like at gabit last year, she came a couple of days early and left a couple of days 'late' so that, while she did work the weekend, she still had time with her family

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                  No offense to anyone here but I do not understand why discussion of Mitchell and his horribly immature and unprofessional behaviour is not appropriate for this thread. Yes this is Sam's a Great Character thread and I have acknowledged that I am currently, have been and will likely continue to be, very down on this show but when I discuss Mitchell I am also discusisng Carter and the fact that, even if not stated directly, I think she is a hell of a better soldier and leader then Mitchell is as written and I do not know why I should not be able to discuss my opinions on how I think Mitchell's behaviour diminishes him, his teammates and the show. Carter is clearly a better leader and discussion of the Mitchell debacle is related . . .

Well anyway - I am not really sure what I want to say but I do not post as often simply because I am down on the show in general and don't want to bring all of you down but whenever I do post anymore I feel guilty about it so I come even less and I start to restrict myself more to the anti-threads and the episode threads, I guess I just feel that since I am a supporter of Carter (and have been for many years now and it really is one of the few reasons I still watch at all, besides waiting in the vain hope for the TEAM aspect to retrun) I should be able to vent (at least once in awhile) and I should be able to discuss what is wrong, IMO, with Mitchell's character in relation to why Carter is so much better as the leader.

Thats' it - sorry if I have offended anyone - I'm tired, RL is hectic and I just do not like feeling guilty for feeling bad that one of my favorite characters is being made to suffer for such a poorly written, unprofessional, immature character who does not deserve to be co-leader of SG1, he could not touch Carter with a 100 foot pole she is so far ahead of him in so many ways.
                  Y’know, I’m going to have to make a ‘me too’ statement here. While I realize that comparative posts in which one compares so-and-so’s behavior to Sam’s behavior, and/or one compares the response to Sam’s behavior to the response to so-and-so’s behavior, are inherently negative, since the comparison is inevitably favorable in Sam’s direction when I make it, which implies an equally inevitable negative from me in so-and-so’s direction, they’re still Sam-centric, on topic posts. And, while I have accepted the desire of this thread to keep negativity to a minimum in its content (and taken up a permanent residence on the "anti-season" threads therefore), it’s difficult to apply that acceptance when I want to make a Sam-Centric Comparison. “I love so-and-so to death, but I love Sam beyond death and through every incarnation thereafter” may be a lovely, dramatic means of expressing a sentiment, but, unfortunately, it isn’t likely to be precisely the sentiment I actually want to express. Sweetness and light is neither my modus operandi, nor my goal, in this life. :need a ‘Cheshire Cat grin of unknown origin’ smilie just now :

My apologies if such thoughts are offensive. They are not so intended. Mea Culpa.
                  ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                    Hi Samandans, i have some really fantastic news to share with you all!
                    I'm a Grandmother this morning
                    My Son gave us the news just before midnight last night (uk time)
                    We have a little Grandaughter named Isabelle Amy and Mum and Daughter are doing well, my Son is over the moon and when we asked who she looked like he replied "i don't know she's all scrunced up!" bless him.
                    Anyway sorry for being ot but i'm so pleased about the news that i had to share with you, take all of you
                    Congratulations Tara. That's fantastic news. Is this your first grandchild?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      I suppose part of the reason AD may have made that remark is simply to remind people that this thread is about Sam and when we start discussing other characters we often become negative in our comments. I really don't care to listen to other people completely bash Sam. I don't mind contructive criticism. I don't mind discussing things she may or may not have done that was out of character or poorly written, ect, but to sit and simply hear someone call her names and put her down really bothers me. So I can totally empathize that there may well be readers on this thread who enjoy both Sam and Mitchell or Vala or Daniel or [insert name] and who really do not appreciate weeding through dozens of posts that knock a character they actually like inorder to read something positive about Sam.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to mention other aspects of the show in their posts, but perhaps we should take a bit more care in limiting the amount of negative comments we make about the other characters. I know I need to work on this issue as well.

Kat
                      With great respect, may I ask if we could also work on exercising due care in terms of limiting the amount of fulsome and repeated praise, and/or sanctimony-tinged apologia for other elements, characters, and aspects of the show to which this thread has also devoted itself upon quite a few more than one occasion? Please?

While certainly posters on this thread like other characters and aspects of the show as much as, or more than, they like Sam Carter, this is the Sam Carter thread, and there are those here who find it as disruptive, disappointing, and distasteful to find page upon page of fulsome, glowing golden praise and pedantic apologia priggishly embellished, intentionally embellished or not, for characters and production-decisions that we personally dislike, or even disdain? I would not personally enter a thread dedicated to the praise of a character other than Sam, and inject – or would that be inflict? – pages of Sam compliments and Sam apologia into it, because such would be off topic therein. But, that has happened here on this Sam thread, and on a regular basis.

I have come to disdain the new characters and the new structure of the show, mainly through the writing for this season, but, also through the behavior, words and decisions of the Stargate PTB –Continuum, from office boy to the highest nabob in the land of financial poobahs, and the behavior, words and decisions of fans of the new characters and season with regards to those characters. I feel an atmosphere of hostility toward any criticism of the new characters, even constructive criticism, has been engendered almost everywhere on Gateworld, and social constraints granting a privileged status to the rejection of criticism on those specific subjects has been established, too. While overmuch negativism regarding any aspect of the show is simply not acceptable on this thread, and I respect that decision, gushing and apologia for other characters and the decisions and performance of Stargate PTB –Continuum are always acceptable, no matter how off topic they may be here.

Such off-topic praise and apologia induce the sensation of having something crammed down my throat (specifically something that I have no reason to expect this thread will contain) that I so famously detest, and, I would ask that we might perhaps think about taking that strong distaste of some thread members for being fed such a diet, and the off-topic aspect of such praise and apologia themselves, into consideration too, when pondering the content of potential discussion herein. Please? That repeated, lenghthy and iterative praise and apologia really does make this thread a place where this Sam fan feels decidedly unwelcome.

While we’re watching our chemical sensitivities to acid, could I beg that we also keep an eye on our off-topic glucose levels, please?
                      ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                        Such off-topic praise and apologia induce the sensation of having something crammed down my throat (specifically something that I have no reason to expect this thread will contain) that I so famously detest, and, I would ask that we might perhaps think about taking that strong distaste of some thread members for being fed such a diet, and the off-topic aspect of such praise and apologia themselves, into consideration too, when pondering the content of potential discussion herein. Please? That repeated, lenghthy and iterative praise and apologia really does make this thread a place where this Sam fan feels decidedly unwelcome.While we’re watching our chemical sensitivities to acid, could I beg that we also keep an eye on our off-topic glucose levels, please?
                        Hey, I have an idea. Feel free to kick me liberally in the tender-parts if ya'll disagree. How about we all just say whatever we need to say, whenever we need to say it? I know, it sounds crazy, but ... how about we stop trying to second guess what we should or shouldn't be saying and just be honest, whether that's glowing or critical, about anything show related whatsoever, so long as we manage to keep the overlying topic on the matter of Sam Carter, at hand?

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

gratuitous spam for post 7000

i need a new avatar, any suggestions?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            Hey, I have an idea. Feel free to kick me liberally in the tender-parts if ya'll disagree. How about we all just say whatever we need to say, whenever we need to say it? I know, it sounds crazy, but ... how about we stop trying to second guess what we should or shouldn't be saying and just be honest, whether that's glowing or critical, about anything show related whatsoever, so long as we manage to keep the overlying topic on the matter of Sam Carter, at hand?
                            I'll have to agree with you here minigeek. I want this to be a place that all those that adore Sam/Amanda can come and discuss the character and her involvement in the show or fanfic. I know there are several people that are really enjoying the new show (which is awesome) and those of us that are cringe through with hands on foreheads shaking our heads in utter disappointment. So I think there will be negative posts as well as positive posts in this thread. I understand those that want to stay positive and enjoy the show don't want to come to a thread that is full of negativity. I also understand those that are not happy with s9 come here to voice their opinions and discuss it in a constructive way with “friendships” they have developed in this thread. I think we can have an even dose of both as long as we all understand and respect and be kind to one another.

I know I may not be the one to voice an opinion, because I for one have been negative and unfortunately I don't see that changing for the rest of s9 or s10 (but who knows anything is possible I mean I did love Ripple Effect and GUP). I am however very positive about fics, and past episodes.

Okay now I'm to work again. bye

Comment

gratuitous spam for post 7000

i need a new avatar, any suggestions?
                              Goes to check if site still works.....ooh its still alive!!! - http://samavs.bravehost.com/
                              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                                With great respect, may I ask if we could also work on exercising due care in terms of limiting the amount of fulsome and repeated praise, and/or sanctimony-tinged apologia for other elements, characters, and aspects of the show to which this thread has also devoted itself upon quite a few more than one occasion? Please?

While certainly posters on this thread like other characters and aspects of the show as much as, or more than, they like Sam Carter, this is the Sam Carter thread, and there are those here who find it as disruptive, disappointing, and distasteful to find page upon page of fulsome, glowing golden praise and pedantic apologia priggishly embellished, intentionally embellished or not, for characters and production-decisions that we personally dislike, or even disdain? I would not personally enter a thread dedicated to the praise of a character other than Sam, and inject – or would that be inflict? – pages of Sam compliments and Sam apologia into it, because such would be off topic therein. But, that has happened here on this Sam thread, and on a regular basis.

I have come to disdain the new characters and the new structure of the show, mainly through the writing for this season, but, also through the behavior, words and decisions of the Stargate PTB –Continuum, from office boy to the highest nabob in the land of financial poobahs, and the behavior, words and decisions of fans of the new characters and season with regards to those characters. I feel an atmosphere of hostility toward any criticism of the new characters, even constructive criticism, has been engendered almost everywhere on Gateworld, and social constraints granting a privileged status to the rejection of criticism on those specific subjects has been established, too. While overmuch negativism regarding any aspect of the show is simply not acceptable on this thread, and I respect that decision, gushing and apologia for other characters and the decisions and performance of Stargate PTB –Continuum are always acceptable, no matter how off topic they may be here.

Such off-topic praise and apologia induce the sensation of having something crammed down my throat (specifically something that I have no reason to expect this thread will contain) that I so famously detest, and, I would ask that we might perhaps think about taking that strong distaste of some thread members for being fed such a diet, and the off-topic aspect of such praise and apologia themselves, into consideration too, when pondering the content of potential discussion herein. Please? That repeated, lenghthy and iterative praise and apologia really does make this thread a place where this Sam fan feels decidedly unwelcome.

While we’re watching our chemical sensitivities to acid, could I beg that we also keep an eye on our off-topic glucose levels, please?
                                Agreed. That being said, it seems to me that soon we will not have anything to discuss on this thread at all seeing as so much of the discussion is either flaming or praising the likes of everyone but Sam.
                                Thank goodness I have MSN.

Comment

Working...
                                X