Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocdoc
    It's difficult to say really. It doesn't sound like Amanda was pulling back her time for this season. It seems that she started working full-time fairly soon after returning. Also, BB signed his contract before AT did, I think. So, I think TPTB planned to bring BB in and probably, for all kinds of erroneous reasons, decided to run wild with the publicity that BB was going to be SG1 leader. I doubt TPTB called AT on the phone and said, is it okay if we bring in BB and he'll be leader even though Sam was in season 8. They just did it (and now they are backpeddling a bit about this leadership issue).

It is true that AT does not seem to be upset about it in her interviews, but I might chalk that up to the fact that AT is professional and so is not going to express alot of discontent even if she feels it (hopefully she isn't feeling it). And she is in a funny position in the sense that they accomodated her quite well (thank goodness and as they should, IMO). So she may not want to rock the boat, even though, yeah, she may have wanted and expected to continue as SG1 leader. And/or maybe like you say ---she wants more flexibility now that she sees what it is like to balance career and motherhood (which makes perfect sense too).

I guess I'm saying I don't know if we will really know. AT has the info about how the Mitchell/sam leadership issue played out in the second half---so maybe she does feel comfortable with it -- I hope so because, like Coley said, if AT had hoped to be leader, she certainly deserved to be leader this season, given her time, talent, and commitment to the show for 8 years.
    well, i 'hope' it's the reason, and not amanda getting the short end of the stick.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Okay, here's one from 48 Hours to get us in the mood ... all captions welcomed!

McKay: Well I just think you're the smartest, prettiest, most fantastic person on the face of this planet. And in a rare moment of honesty that won't last, I wish to bow down before your amazingness..

Sam: Mmmmm Jelllo.
      Sorry? Did you say something McKay?

Comment

In honor of all Samandans 5' 4" or shorter ...

Thanks to Geogirl for the pic

President of SPotWU
        Short People of the World Unite!
        OMG this is a great pic!!!!

Can I join? 5'4"?? (but I make up for it in other ways )

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          well, i 'hope' it's the reason, and not amanda getting the short end of the stick.

sally

I hope so too!

Speaking of short---that would also be me at 5'3"

Comment

Amen, sistah! I just read the blog too and that's how I'm interpreting the "final solution". They never really considered reinstating her to her former position. And they'll send her out as leader only with other SG units (which they've done already in S9).

I don't know if we'll get a straight answer from AT if the question is posed at GABIT as she is still under contract if they're renewed. But, boy, I'd like to be a nanite and float around in her brain a bit and try to hear her inner dialogue. She was so looking forward to having Carter step up to the plate and be "more proactive" when she returned in S9 ... doesn't JM even say something like they'd actually have to do a spin-off of the show *if* they'd want to make her "the" leader?! Something like that ... okay, guys, that's the "final solution" - give us The Sam Carter Sci-Fi Hour - I'm ready and willing to watch a woman in charge!!

Please, please, please could we have the Sam Carter Sci-Fi Hour!

Comment

Fly-by post!

I've been in Georgia all day and just got back home in time to watch the syndicated S8 SG-1 ep of the week: Lockdown. And I just figured it out! Some of you probably already know this, so please forgive me if you do, but this little epiphany just hit me.

Remember when Skiffy announced the lineup for the S8 marathon that aired right before S9 started? And one of the eps they omitted was Lockdown? I just realized why!

Lockdown is the episode where the highly decorated Russian officer has been transferred to the SGC, asks for a place on an SG team.....and tells Jack he'd be honored to be considered for Jack's just-vacated spot on SG-1. Jack tells him in no uncertain terms that he doesn't care how highly decorated he is, or how much flight experience he has: he's not going near the Stargate until he's had the proper training.

Skiffy and/or TPTB didn't want us to see that ep just before S9 started, and Cam waltzed in to the SGC with no gate experience.....and the command of SG-1! Now, since the team had broken up at the start of S9, the situation was a little different.....but I still don't think they wanted to remind us of that right before they introduced Cam.

Just sayin'. Do you agree? Ok, I'm just trying to keep my eyes open til the ep is over--then it's off to bed! Talk to all tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                I've just read ubers link to JM blog. I must say I was very disapointed as it sounded as though the only way they would consider making Carter lead a team was if it was a team other than SG1. So it was never intended for Carter to lead the team. Perhaps BB would only sign if he got to lead the team - who knows!
                I am not happy and it looks like Carter will not be leading in season 10.
                I wonder how AT feels. How hard has a woman got to work to get that all important spot in a show?
                I read it too, Über, and I'm trying very hard to rid myself of these... logical... fantasies of mine, wherein, if the world actually made sense, Mitchell would have to lead SG-22 in order to be given the lead of any team, because he's too darned new, and green, and inexperienced, and untrained, and impulsive, and, sorry, just plain not ready for the command of SG-1. A few lessons in wielding the kran...berry? No, krantuh! (™ ) (Krantuh! I finally remembered!) staff do not a leader make.

And what was that crack about SG-22? Reynolds bossed, what? SG-16, and SG-12, and SG-3, and SG-9... it's not like an officer can't get an established command round the SGC!

As Teal'c would put it, I am most displeased by this. Even if this situation is necessitated by outside circumstances, like Amanda's hours, or outside pressures, like Skiffy having a fetish for the formulaic, reactionary, putatively androcentric, and socially status quo talk is, literally, cheap in this situation, and working a good, solid explanation of the situation into the dialogue of the show would be good for the characters, the show, and the fans, in my opinion. But, then again - we've already established that nobody listens to me anyway.

I, for another, would watch the Sam Carter Science Hour! I think I'd relish it - so long as the scientists didn't devolve into figures of fun, like Dr. Lee in Avalon II. Heck, they could even work it so that Sam got the 'Ancient Gene' therapy, developed a commanding understanding of Ancient technology and ended up as the Tau'ri expert emeritus on the subject, interacting with the Asgard, the Nox, and the Atlantis expedition on the subject. The Sam Carter Science Hour has potential, I think. Make it the Sam Carter Military Science Hour, and I think it has lots of potential.

Hmm... "Möbius - the Sequel": Sam discovers that, in the finest Area 51 tradition, the time device on the Ancient Time Ship has not been destroyed, and, in a desperate bid to save the universe, season 9's SG-Dud goes back in time and - in the process of fixing the problem, the timeline gets improved (again ), and we get the Sam Carter Military Science Hour in lieu of the Season 9 we've had so far! WooHoo!!! (If one cuts a Möbius strip in such a manner that, if it were a cylinder, with no twist, one would end up with two cylinders, one gets instead a 'circle' that's twice as large as the original Möbius strip, and with a double twist instead of the original single twist. If 'Möbius' is good enough for the title of an ep, surely it's good enough, and appropriate, for the premise of another! )
                ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

In honor of all Samandans 5' 4" or shorter ...

Thanks to Geogirl for the pic

President of SPotWU
                  Short People of the World Unite!
                  Yowza... now I'm almost embarrassed to be 5'7" when I'm considered to be short by the rest of my family!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                    Fly-by post!

I've been in Georgia all day and just got back home in time to watch the syndicated S8 SG-1 ep of the week: Lockdown. And I just figured it out! Some of you probably already know this, so please forgive me if you do, but this little epiphany just hit me.

Remember when Skiffy announced the lineup for the S8 marathon that aired right before S9 started? And one of the eps they omitted was Lockdown? I just realized why!

Lockdown is the episode where the highly decorated Russian officer has been transferred to the SGC, asks for a place on an SG team.....and tells Jack he'd be honored to be considered for Jack's just-vacated spot on SG-1. Jack tells him in no uncertain terms that he doesn't care how highly decorated he is, or how much flight experience he has: he's not going near the Stargate until he's had the proper training.

Skiffy and/or TPTB didn't want us to see that ep just before S9 started, and Cam waltzed in to the SGC with no gate experience.....and the command of SG-1! Now, since the team had broken up at the start of S9, the situation was a little different.....but I still don't think they wanted to remind us of that right before they introduced Cam.

Just sayin'. Do you agree? Ok, I'm just trying to keep my eyes open til the ep is over--then it's off to bed! Talk to all tomorrow!
                    Oh, yes - there was much derisive snorting at my house when that bit of "Lockdown" was playing this afternoon. I think indeed, that someone didn't want members of the audience going 'Hey, wait a minute there!' as they watched the beginning of season 9 in close temporal proximity to a repeat of "Lockdown".

And, that bit of Jack-dialogue is why I think that Landry put Mitchell in charge of SG-1, not Jack. I can't imagine Jack being so blasé about the situation in "Avalon" and "Origin" if he thought that Mitchell was actually going to retain command of an SG-1 that would have Sam, Teal'c and Daniel as members. In my mental background to Season 9, somewhere, Jack is having frequent fits of the conniptions at the very notion that a rank amateur is cruising the galaxy with his SG-1 'kids' in tow, telling people he's their leader, fer cryin' out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                      Fly-by post!

Ooooh I so agree. Even posted the transcript of that scene on *cough*THAT thread.

Being a logical argument it was of course ignored and discarded.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        amanda had the spot last season. perhaps this is from amanda herself that she wants/needs to pull back her time on the show. and since amanda's not having a fit about it, i can't help but believe it's what she wants.

i hope someone asks her about this at gabit.

sally
                        I hope so too Sal,

But I keep thinking back to an interview with Amanda just after she announced her pregnancy. She said that she was looking forward to continuing with the show and hoped to develop the Carter in command role. She thought despite the fact she would want reduced hours they wouldn't be reduced anything like RDA's hours were and thus didn't see too much of a problem.

Also in another later interview I think she expressed surprise that BB would be a Colonel.

I also heard that she was very quickly back to doing a 12 to 14 hour day - so no reduced hours in other words.

She may have changed her mind though about wanting to lead - maybe thinking about a second child. However I suspect there is an awful lot going on behind the scenes.

The one thing which annoyed me more than anything was an interview with Rob Cooper at the start of the season. He was going on and on about all the changes - all the new stars they had on the show (yawn) oozing over Claudia Black and then said "How could it get any better?" The interviewer replied - "How about having the beautiul Amanda Tapping back!" (and I assume he stiffled a "You jerk")

I just thought it was awful of Rob to ignore Amanda whilst oozing over all the new characters.

I doubt if she would say at GABIT. I think it would be bad form to start moaning about her role. Her option would be not to sign for next season, though I guess it is a very convenient acting gig for her at the moment.

We may find out in years to come!

Comment

Just another thought AT really didn't get a fair chance at the leadership role in season 8 (in my opinion). Season 9 was the season that it could have been reaffirmed.

If BB/Sci Fi or whoever wanted BB to lead the show I guess it would be difficult to have Amanda lead SG1.

In my opinion if Amanda wanted the lead and could commit to the time required for this there is no reason why she shouldn't get the lead and BB could have been brought in as a Major. Or someone esle for that matter.

I got hooked on the show not knowing ANY of the actors - to me that shows it doesn't need a Star name just great acting and a great show!

Comment

The one thing which annoyed me more than anything was an interview with Rob Cooper at the start of the season. He was going on and on about all the changes - all the new stars they had on the show (yawn) oozing over Claudia Black and then said "How could it get any better?" The interviewer replied - "How about having the beautiul Amanda Tapping back!" (and I assume he stiffled a "You jerk")
                            Ha! Good for the Interviewer!!

I just thought it was awful of Rob to ignore Amanda whilst oozing over all the new characters.
                            Rob seems to do that alot.
                            sigpic

Comment

Just another thought AT really didn't get a fair chance at the leadership role in season 8 (in my opinion). Season 9 was the season that it could have been reaffirmed.

If BB/Sci Fi or whoever wanted BB to lead the show I guess it would be difficult to have Amanda lead SG1.

In my opinion if Amanda wanted the lead and could commit to the time required for this there is no reason why she shouldn't get the lead and BB could have been brought in as a Major. Or someone esle for that matter.

I got hooked on the show not knowing ANY of the actors - to me that shows it doesn't need a Star name just great acting and a great show!

Completely agree on this. The show would have been just fine with Sam as SG1 leader and BB as a major on the team. It is just so unbelievable that Mitchell is the named leader of SG1 because of the way they wrote it, given his experience.

I hold out hope that this "co-leadership" thing somehow makes some sense in the second half.

Comment

Go back a few pages (500 infact) and look what you find:
                                Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                here's a GREAT AT picture that's just dying for a caption:

She's such a ham...
                                Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                Here's another fabulous AT pic that's just screaming for a caption:

Not sure if it's funnier to you, but I had quite the chuckle...

gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                                love Torri

Comment

Working...
                                X