Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    I'm not gonna belabour the point, nor am i gonna take it to the ship thread cause...well it's late and i'm lazy, but you know, if anyone in the sam/jack relationship has been 'pining' and 'carrying the torch' it's jack.
    Absolutely. Jack was longing for Sam in Divide and Conquer, not the other way round. Jack grabbed her and kissed her in Window of Opportunity, not the other way round. Even Jack's girlfriend noticed where his heart really lay, to the extent that she asked him if the only thing holding him back was the regs. And the moment those regs don't apply in Moebius, again it's Jack that pursues alt-Sam.

I hope he's got over it now, because as you know I've never liked this ship (anyway, shouldn't he be paying attention to Daniel? )

He's done the pursueing. He's kept the door open and sam has been 'yeah, i know, maybe some day, now don't we have a mission?'
    And it's Jack who keeps talking about Sam (in SGA) when they're a galaxy apart.

sam/jack/teal'c

the ultimate threesome.
    Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
    ..... waits for Scari & AD to chip in
    *ponders*... nah.
    scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      yeah but landry doesn't have a bevy of fen that would be up in arms if he got a solitary send off
      Bwhahaha...Okay, I'll definitely give ya that one.

Sio
      Pixie's Haven

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
        *bounces excitedly*

After over a year of writing, I think the end is in sight. Wooooohoooo! I've got the chapter I'm working on (counselling), a chapter after that about time travel (it's Sam/Teal'c, folks!) and then I think I'm on the final chapter!

When I first plotted the story, there were 40 chapters, then I revised it to make 30. I posted 24 today and realised that a lot of the next six chapters had no real purpose. So I have three more chapters, as far as I'm concerned, then Shattered can finally be put to bed!

It's kind of weird in a way because I've been working on this for so long. When I first started this, I wanted it finished by Easter, then I decided to finish it by my graduation, then the deadline was Gabit. Somehow the months have slipped away so quickly and I find myself writing this fic from a new perspective.

When I first started writing, I was still hurting so much. The reason I started the project was because Mini and a few others were talking about rape and rape fics on this thread. It hurt me so much to even contemplate reading a fic. How could anyone ever write that as a fictitious story? After that, I challenged myself to read a few fics and found a lot of them to be so unrealistic, a glorification of such a terrible, horrifying issue. You see, Sam Carter, though a strong woman and incredibly smart, is a human being. And she would react just like any other human being. I found that rape was being used too much as a plot device for Sam and Jack to get together, or that it was all fluffy and I wanted to write something that was real and something that would help me in the process of writing it.

The reason it's taken so long so far is that it's been painful to write. It's bought up so many issues and memories for me, but it's helped me so much in the process. Now, though, things are so different for me. I'm happy, I'm safe, I'm able to go out without fear, I'm able to be normal. I have a girlfriend even though I never thought I'd be in a relationship again. Things are so, so incredibly different. And it's so strange and so rewarding to see this process in writing and... yeah.

Anyway, I've finished babbling now. Three more chapters. Then I'll present you with the finished product. You all told me to repost the link when I'd finished. I will do, I promise. And I'll make a huge fanfare about it.

I'm not the best fanfic writer in the world. Far from it, in fact. I'm not promising greatness from this fic, but I just wanted you all to know how important it is to me and stuff.

And as I get close to the finish mark, I want to say thanks to Myrth, Spaz, Mandy, Mini and others who have inspired, encouraged, helped and betad.

Gads... I do go on, don't I?!
        Some things just have to happen in their own time. I hope you're proud of yourself for finishing such an ambitious project, especially since the topic is so personal for you.

I look forward to reading it when you're done.
        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
        May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
          Tee Hee.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned menage a trois.
          You just had to say something, didn't you?!?!?!
          sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
          May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            unending

Spoiler:
            i just rewatched that scene. there were a couple of beats where i felt ms played it a little too much/strong, but he still did a great job with it. maybe his vehemence is what made you feel off about it?
            Spoiler:
            Yeah, it was definitely that. We've seen Daniel angry/upset/mad before, but not quite so, well, nasty. His words just seemed to be laced with such a level of venom and sarcasm that I found bothersome.
            Pixie's Haven

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
              Spoiler:
              That was Carter's scene, not Landry's. It wasn't about their relationship, it was about her character development and about her story. It was also about a powerful moment of expression. It was believable in all those regards. I think you need to step away from it as a Sam/Landry moment and look into it as a Sam Carter moment entirely.
              Actually, that quote you were referring to from sally was actually something she quoted from me.

Sio
              Pixie's Haven

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
                Absolutely. Jack was longing for Sam in Divide and Conquer, not the other way round. Jack grabbed her and kissed her in Window of Opportunity, not the other way round. Even Jack's girlfriend noticed where his heart really lay, to the extent that she asked him if the only thing holding him back was the regs. And the moment those regs don't apply in Moebius, again it's Jack that pursues alt-Sam.

I hope he's got over it now, because as you know I've never liked this ship

That's true, you're more of a SCam girl, as I recall, aren't ya?

Hey - aren't you supposed to be WRITING right about now??

Hugs!
                geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by pixiesio View Post
                  Actually, that quote you were referring to from sally was actually something she quoted from me.
                  Well, then, read all the "yous" as you...
                  *thwack*

I shall re-address it. To my awesomest buddy hzxlpyw ... you pronounce it, sio.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I hope he's got over it now, because as you know I've never liked this ship (anyway, shouldn't he be paying attention to Daniel? )

And it's Jack who keeps talking about Sam (in SGA) when they're a galaxy apart.

*ponders*... nah.
                    I'm of two minds about Jack/Sam ship. While I love these two characters and can see the attraction, I like the idea of the female character not being "the girlfriend" - let her just be a strong, female character on her own. I personally am not in a relationship and based on where I am in my life personally and professionally, it's doubtful there is one on the horizon. I'm all about family, friends and work - and I really like that.

As for who is pining - I won't argue with the points mentioned above about Jack. But look at Grace - where Sam admits to herself that while she is thinking about Jack she doesn't let herself get close to anyone else and therefore won't get hurt. And I'm blanking on the episode - but when Sam finally realizes that she has made a mistake by accepting Pete's marriage proposal - she goes to talk to Jack. Things that make you go, "Hmmmm."
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                      Well, then, read all the "yous" as you...
                      *thwack*

I shall re-address it. To my awesomest buddy hzxlpyw ... you pronounce it, sio.
                      LOL! *noogies mini*

As for that particular scene you're referring to...

Spoiler:
                      Upon thinking back on it (don't know if I'm going to go back and rewatch the ep at this point and time), and specifically Sam's reaction, I think it speaks to what I see as her perfectionism. She couldn't help Landry, no matter what she must have tried (since, as others have mentioned, she is the most likely to have taken on the medic role), and this on top of not being able to get them out of their problem safely lead her to feeling extremely helpless and frustrated. Being a perfectionist myself , I know that when I feel that way I get very upset too.

So yeah, it was very much more a Sam moment than a Sam/Landry thing.

Sio
                      Pixie's Haven

Comment

I fail to see how Jack is the one pining for Sam. Or even Sam pining for Jack for that matter. It's a mutual attraction to each other. In Broca Divide it was Sam that went after the alpha (Jack). Once that was established, he defended his "territory" as it were with Daniel. In Upgrades, they shared that look (which was supposed to be dialogue) and in Divide and Conquer they both lied in the sense of what happened in the mothership and both were confortable and agreed to keep it in the room. In Window of Opportunity, Jack did resign first before approaching her (and she was quite into the kiss, too). In Threads, it was Sam who went to him because she had serious doubts about marrying Pete and wanted to talk to him about something for quite a long time. In Moebius, it may have been Jack to first say something to Sam, but it was Sam who went after him with this kiss.

Sam's not blameless in this matter. It's two people who came together as a team, worked closely together and developed a mutual attraction to each other. Neither Sam nor Jack would want the other to sacrifice their careers for a relationship. And both had tried other relationships and were somewhat successful. But, in the end, neither one worked. Sam had growing doubts with Pete. Jack enjoyed his time with Kerry. If they don't have a relationship for whatever reason, Jack and Sam are collegues and close friends. Neither one is sitting in their respective homes pining over the other, IMO.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                          I swear this will be my last input on this subject, in this thread anyway.

Sam, "Not Exactly." Jack, "Always." 'nuf said
                          That's your reading of the matter, the rest of fandom and the viewing public might not see it that way.
                          But that's the joys of fandom, a broad church where all opinions are equally valid and no fans reading of the show is any worthier than any other fans.

FF
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                            That's your reading of the matter, the rest of fandom and the viewing public might not see it that way.
                            But that's the joys of fandom, a broad church where all opinions are equally valid and no fans reading of the show is any worthier than any other fans.

FF
                            Well said. I think the entire matter has been kept, as AT herself has said, "Intentionally ambiguous" for that very purpose. Those fans and casual viewers who want to believe they're together (and it's not just radical shippers, cause my dad and sister-in-law who are casual viewers think they're together offscreen) -- no matter how much others might not -- are able to do so. And those who don't -- no matter how much us shippers might want to believe they are -- are equally free to believe otherwise.

In many ways, though many shippers might wish it were otherwise, TPTB have created the ideal situation, managing to make as many people as satisfied as possible... Cause lets face it, in fandom, you really can never make everyone completely happy any of the time

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                              I'm of two minds about Jack/Sam ship. While I love these two characters and can see the attraction, I like the idea of the female character not being "the girlfriend" - let her just be a strong, female character on her own. I personally am not in a relationship and based on where I am in my life personally and professionally, it's doubtful there is one on the horizon. I'm all about family, friends and work - and I really like that.

As for who is pining - I won't argue with the points mentioned above about Jack. But look at Grace - where Sam admits to herself that while she is thinking about Jack she doesn't let herself get close to anyone else and therefore won't get hurt. And I'm blanking on the episode - but when Sam finally realizes that she has made a mistake by accepting Pete's marriage proposal - she goes to talk to Jack. Things that make you go, "Hmmmm."
                              I really don't think there are many of us who would argue that over the past decade both Sam and Jack have expressed some interest in each other. IMO they have both shown more interest for the other on several occassions so if there was any pining involved it was mutual pining, but I think for many of us it's been the lack of decision-making on their part that is the most frustrating. For shippers, most just seem to want to be given a resolution so that they can finally see Sam and Jack in a relationship. However for many others, like myself, we simply want to see an end to the dance -- one way or another --so that the subject will finally be closed. And hopefully then fans would/could stop judging Sam based upon her interactions with every male on the show. However, I seriously doubt that will ever be the case, which may be the reason why the writers have been so ambiguous over the past decade.

And I suppose in part we have to blame Amanda for that because she's really one of those remarkable people who really looks great with just about everyone she's with and she has such a wonderful rapport with everyone that many fans see this chemistry and instanteously want to see Sam romantically involved with their favorite character( male or female).

Damn that woman!
                              Last edited by ForeverSg1; 17 March 2007, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                                I really don't think there are many of us who would argue that over the past decade both Sam and Jack have expressed some interest in each other. IMO they have both shown more interest for the other on several occassions so if there was any pining involved it was mutual pining, but I think for many of us it's been the lack of decision-making on their part that is the most frustrating. For shippers, most just seem to want to be given a resolution so that they can finally see Sam and Jack in a relationship. However for many others, like myself, we simply want to see an end to the dance -- one way or another --so that the subject will finally be closed. And hopefully then fans would/could stop judging Sam based upon her interactions with every male on the show. However, I seriously doubt that will ever be the case, which may be the reason why the writers have been so ambiguous over the past decade.

And I suppose in part we have to blame Amanda for that because she's really one of those remarkable people who really looks great with just about everyone she's with and she has such a wonderful rapport with everyone that many fans see this chemistry and instanteously want to see Sam romantically involved with their favorite character( male or female).

Damn that woman!
                                ROFL !! best explanation ever Blame Amanda

(that also explain why I can ship Sam with almost everyone lol)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X