Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    or just music, instead of an actual song.

if i were making it, i'd be using either some dramatic classical music (like something from wilhelm richard wagner), or a hardrock song/music (like from Dream Theater).

to me, the scenes shown will be strong and imposing, so i'd pick strong and imposing music to go with it. just my tastes, though, and i should get off my lazy butt and make the vid i want to see. (i won't, though, because, you know, it'll interfere with my laziness)

sally
    I like the idea of instrumental music. You don't have to worry about the lyrics fitting or the listener's taste in bands. Maybe tsaxlady will have some ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
      Dos all of the AT stuff revolve around this crapola? You see from this it seems that once again the crux of what AT discusses is about the sexing up of the characters and the show just like we have to hear over and over how bb ends up tied to a bed in his underwear - geesh this show has really dropped into the dregs if this is how they amp up the characters and the new season by talking about underwear and corsetts and weddings - what crapola.

I know what AT says is about 200 but I am sick of 200 and the cheap, farcical waste of time it will be (especially when it comes to RDAs time) - I want to hear about the real stories and the action and adventure of the real SG1, which for me does not include mitchell or vala but unfortunately fans are stuck with them so at least talk about the substantive stories and the substantive roles that the beloved, and truly central characters of Sam, Daniel and Teal'c (poor Teal'c - so far it seems as if he has all but disappeared from SG1 there is soooo precious little written about him but they have a new alien on the team who is soooooo much more fun than that stuffy 'ol Teal'c) will play.

I want to see and hear about substantive Carter as the Carter of old (for me that would be pre mid-season 7) and the Carter that was important to the SGC and to SG1 and who played an integral role in the military aspect of the show and the intelligent, self-posessed character with dignity and self-respect . . . I am sick of this other junk.
      The thing that's especially sad is that with decent writing, the introduction of Mitchell (and possibly, but less likely) Vala could have opened new possibilities or the exploring of previous storylines for Sam, Daniel and Teal'c. The legacy of Jolinar is the most obvious one. As someone who was a host to a Gouald, presumably against her will, one would think Vala might have some issues w/ G. tech. That could be something she and Sam could talk about. Maybe Vala had heard of Jolinar. Does Teal'c feel uncomfortable dealing w/ a former Gouald? How exactly do MItchell and Carter know each other? the list goes on.
      I fear Vala will become part of the team as if it's the most natural thing in the world and she'll go on as before. CJ will get lines only in "jaffa" stories as if that's all he has to offer. Well, that and running around w/ 2 P90s to show off his muscles. Oh for the days of substantive, interesting stories. If the show had started the way it was in S9, I doubt I would watched it beyond a couple of episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
        The thing that's especially sad is that with decent writing, the introduction of Mitchell (and possibly, but less likely) Vala could have opened new possibilities or the exploring of previous storylines for Sam, Daniel and Teal'c. The legacy of Jolinar is the most obvious one. As someone who was a host to a Gouald, presumably against her will, one would think Vala might have some issues w/ G. tech. That could be something she and Sam could talk about. Maybe Vala had heard of Jolinar. Does Teal'c feel uncomfortable dealing w/ a former Gouald? How exactly do MItchell and Carter know each other? the list goes on.
        I fear Vala will become part of the team as if it's the most natural thing in the world and she'll go on as before. CJ will get lines only in "jaffa" stories as if that's all he has to offer. Well, that and running around w/ 2 P90s to show off his muscles. Oh for the days of substantive, interesting stories. If the show had started the way it was in S9, I doubt I would watched it beyond a couple of episodes.
        I agree that better writing Mitchell could have been a good addition, I think it would have been possible for Vala too. I think theres a way to bring in new characters and not push out the old ones. Obv theres nothing wrong with the old characters, as there were 8 seasons and liked through out the world. So why couldnt they have found some balance between old and new and then maybe everyone would have been happy. Sams my fav character and im not pleased about the way she's been moved to the background but I do like Teal'c and I find it a shame that he now only really plays a part in jaffa stories, and I think the character deserves more than that (esp after 8 seasons), and in my opinion its a bit disrespectful really to move the old characters in to the background to make room for new ones. Just my opinion though.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          or just music, instead of an actual song.

if i were making it, i'd be using either some dramatic classical music (like something from wilhelm richard wagner), or a hardrock song/music (like from Dream Theater).

to me, the scenes shown will be strong and imposing, so i'd pick strong and imposing music to go with it. just my tastes, though, and i should get off my lazy butt and make the vid i want to see. (i won't, though, because, you know, it'll interfere with my laziness)

sally

I like the idea of instrumental music. You don't have to worry about the lyrics fitting or the listener's taste in bands. Maybe tsaxlady will have some ideas.
          What about "Explosive" by Bond, the version with the full orchestra. I've seen a couple of Stargate action vids recently and it has just whetted my appetite for some Action!Sam.

How does one go about making a vid these days? Do we have any videographers here in Samanda? Ooooober?? (how does one put an umlaut in anyway?)

I used to edit video (tape) for friends aeons ago but alas I do not have a clue in this digital age. I do however have Season 1 to 8 on DVD and a computer
          -

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
            Yeah, they didn't do enough with that storyline. I also wish they'd bring back the Jolinar arc. I loved that. 'ITLOD' and 'Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know' are some of my favorite episodes. I also just think it's cool for Sam to be able to use the Goa'uld technology.
            I would love to see Jolinar again. Some type of flashback into Jolinar's past (with AT playing the role) would be cool. Maybe the key to defeating the Ori is there.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
              Dos all of the AT stuff revolve around this crapola? You see from this it seems that once again the crux of what AT discusses is about the sexing up of the characters and the show just like we have to hear over and over how bb ends up tied to a bed in his underwear - geesh this show has really dropped into the dregs if this is how they amp up the characters and the new season by talking about underwear and corsetts and weddings - what crapola.

I know what AT says is about 200 but I am sick of 200 and the cheap, farcical waste of time it will be (especially when it comes to RDAs time) - I want to hear about the real stories and the action and adventure of the real SG1, which for me does not include mitchell or vala but unfortunately fans are stuck with them so at least talk about the substantive stories and the substantive roles that the beloved, and truly central characters of Sam, Daniel and Teal'c (poor Teal'c - so far it seems as if he has all but disappeared from SG1 there is soooo precious little written about him but they have a new alien on the team who is soooooo much more fun than that stuffy 'ol Teal'c) will play.

I want to see and hear about substantive Carter as the Carter of old (for me that would be pre mid-season 7) and the Carter that was important to the SGC and to SG1 and who played an integral role in the military aspect of the show and the intelligent, self-posessed character with dignity and self-respect . . . I am sick of this other junk.
              I think that the PTB are going with the old "sex sells" philosophy right now in the promotion of s10, but I really believe that the episodes will be about the SG1 we know and love saving the world. I am trying hard to read between the lines and think positively. Hopefully, I won't be disappointed.
              Also, Reganx's idea about long term effects after Jolinar is a great one as long as it is done the right way. I would hate for them to weaken Sam further (which could happen). Now, if they used the storyline to bring Sam's character to the front burner, show her humanity, and make her stronger for the experience, then I would love to see it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                Not really The actors aren't writing the scripts remember, and even though they are the people bringing the character to life they don't always have the full picture. Especially in TV/Movies where scenes and even episodes are shot out of order and the actors might not be aware of whats happening in a different scene that doesn't involve them. Sure, I might put more weight behind what an actor says as opposed to a random, crazy fan - but their word is not the be all, end all of the arguement
                True, but as an actor Amanda could have gone to the writer or the director and asked 'Ok, so what is my motivation here? Are Sam and Orlin in an intimate relationship after the whole glow-me thing?? And they could have stated at the time that there was no real relationship between Sam and Orlin which is how Amanda would have portrayed it. I saw her as caring for Orlin a great deal, but not being in an intimate relationship with him. I mean come on, if Sam had been in a physical relationship with this man, don't you think we would have seen tears or something a bit more than shock when he ascended? I believe Sam was interested in Orlin and had they had more time together her feelings probably would have developed into something deeper, but I think people put too much assumption in that Sam feels as deeply for her admirers than she truly does. Which is why it bothers me when fans suggest that Orlin, Martouf and Narim were Sam's boyfriends. Just because you show an interest in someone doesn't automatically mean you are dating or you're a couple. Hell if that were the case, RDA and I have been a couple for years( ok, so the interest is only one-sided in our case, but you get the point. )

Comment

If the show had started the way it was in S9, I doubt I would watched it beyond a couple of episodes.
                  Me either... Thank goodness I caught the reruns! *hugs reruns*

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                    I think that the PTB are going with the old "sex sells" philosophy right now in the promotion of s10
                    Maybe it sells to the teenage boys...but haven't TPTB realized their fan base is much more broad?

Comment

Maybe it sells to the teenage boys...but haven't TPTB realized their fan base is much more broad?
                      unfortunatly not

sig by starlover1990

Comment

I suspect they may think that the majority of fans who have watched the show for 8 seasons will carry on watching it regardless. And to a large extent it seems they are right!

Just how many fall off in season 10 remains to be seen.

Comment

CB seems to have made a fair jump up in the poll. So I had a quick look and it seems that a couple of voters are saying you can open more than one browser window and cheat the voting. Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                            CB seems to have made a fair jump up in the poll. So I had a quick look and it seems that a couple of voters are saying you can open more than one browser window and cheat the voting. Is that true?
                            At that simplistic level no, but it is possible to cheat.

<ETA>BTW jumping up positions when you're ranked over 40 isn't hard to do honestly (as opposed to cheating). The higher ranks aren't hotly contested. It's when votes go up in 10,000's that's when you need to worry.
                            Last edited by RealmOfX; 07 July 2006, 10:57 AM.
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                              Not that simple. It's probably logging your IP address. I know it's leaving cookies, but that might be for something else.
                              scarimor

Comment

1speed has just arrived. He's brought beer

He says Hi and thanks for the birthday greetings!!

Comment

Working...
                                X