Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    Question:

How do you think the character of Sam Carter would have developed over the course of the 8 years of Stargate SG-1, if she had not been an Air Force officer?

What role do you think Dr. Carter would have played in Stargate SG-1?
    (If she had civilian, instead of military, status, like Daniel?)

I think
    Spoiler:
    that Dr. Carter's role would have evolved quite differently from how they allowed Daniel to evolve. I can't see them allowing Carter to become proficient with the variety of weapons (e.g., P-90) or small-team military tactics as they allowed Daniel to do.

I think they would have worked it up to the point were Carter carried a pistol and, maybe a zat. But I can't see them arming female scientist Dr. Carter with a P-90, except under very unusual circumstances (the weapon ends up in her hands, but not because she was outfitted with it).

With Carter as a trained military officer, the team had three trained warriors, and Dr. Daniel Jackson, cilivilian. Easy enough to take the civilian male and put him in military field gear. It's macho - and it looks 'right' (fits stereotypes that he'd be able to handle it) on a man.

But I can't see them going that way if Carter had been a civilian scientist. Instead, I think she would have been the one constantly berating Jack for his militaristic responses to things. We wouldhave probably have seen the two scientists huddled together, with Daniel using his body to shield Sam's. They would both be 'damsels' compared to Jack and Teal'c's trained super-warrior status, but I think they would have had Daniel and Sam act more stereotypically in the male-protect, female-is-helpless-and-gets-protected roles.
    That would have been interesting, especially if they had kept Jacob as a general. Sam would probably be reasonably well-versed in military matters and have grown up an Air Force brat but would how would she feel about the military.

I think that having Sam as a soldier as well as a scientist was a very wise move for those writing and developing Season One; had she been Dr Carter, we could have seen a split in the team - the warriors and the scholars. Having Sam's character as a balance between the two sides helped balance the team.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

If Sam was a Dr. and not in the military, I think we would see even more spunky Sam. A lot of times she has to hold her tongue. I mean, she can't very well tell off her superiors! If she were just a Dr., she'd get to say what was on her mind. She wouldn't have to worry about court martial or anything. It'd be great to see more Sam moments like the one she had with Maybourne in Foothold, or the general in Chain Reaction.
      Last edited by L.A. Doyle; 10 June 2006, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
        If Sam was a Dr. and not in the military, I think we would see even more spunky Sam. A lot of times she has to hold her tounge. I mean, she can't very well tell off her superiors! If she were just a Dr., she'd get to say what was on her mind. She wouldn't have to worry about court martial or anything. It'd be great to see more Sam moments like the one she had with Maybourne in Foothold, or the general in Chain Reaction.
        She would be a little more free.
        Although we could have the possibility to see Geeky Sam again

Comment

If Sam was a Dr. and not in the military, I think we would see even more spunky Sam. A lot of times she has to hold her tounge. I mean, she can't very well tell off her superiors! If she were just a Dr., she'd get to say what was on her mind. She wouldn't have to worry about court martial or anything. It'd be great to see more Sam moments like the one she had with Maybourne in Foothold, or the general in Chain Reaction.

I agree I think we would see her more outspoken. Also we would see more of her hobbies of fixing up her motorcycle and restoring her old Volvo. I think that is part of her personality. She likes to tinker with things and figure out how they work.

I also think she loves the adrenaline rush from anything that speeds, like her motorcycle or even a civilian pilot’s licenses. This would allow Dr. Carter to still have a hand in building/ designing the Prometheus. After all little Samantha who grew up to become Dr. Carter still dreamed of becoming an astronaut.

Just some of my thoughts on Dr. Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
            Yeah, RDA has that darn "men get better looking with age" thing going.
            Does he ever! I miss him.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              so does that mean you like the idea of a sam/jack kiss?

okay, i've got a fic idea i want someone (strix, sky, other ppl who's names start with S) to do.

the war with irac is heating up, so sam and jack are sent there. but sam is captured. what would happen to her?

write this and have it done by the end of next week.

sally
              *Looks at name* Boy am I glad Mandy doesn't start with an S
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                *Looks at name* Boy am I glad Mandy doesn't start with an S
                of course it does:

sg1, Mandy.

see?
                'tis an interesting idea, Sally. i think there are some like that, but its mostly jack being sent, not sam. i'll be waiting.
                sigpic
                "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                  Speculation about Season 10 ahead...

So.... can anyone direct me to information, or even a reference to
                  Spoiler:
                  Carter still being in the military in Season 10?

...and now I have decided that the rest of my post should be on Whingenuts....

I so hope your wrong my friend... I added my own thoughts on the Samanda Whingenuts thread.

Comment

Poor Jack would be as bald as Hammond with both non-military Sam and Daniel on the team.

As a rule, our Sam obeys his orders and, the whole Jaffa-revenge thing aside, so does Teal'c, leaving Daniel to be the troublemaker/protester.

I wonder would Dr Sam have made it onto SG-1, though. Would they have assigned two scientists, one alien and only one military officer to the team? Maybe if the original team was Jack, Sam, Daniel and Kawalsky, with Teal'c taking Kawalsky's place after he died.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                      Fic: Sky so Blue, by ALC Punk. Set after Lost City, with some Sam angst Not really any pairings, but there's enough subtext to satisfy Sam/Weir, Sam/Jack, Sam/Janet, Sam/Daniel or Daniel/Janet shippers
                      Boy that's a whole lot of Sam slash
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                        Okay I have a what if question for you.

If you could write an exexcutive from say SciFi and/or Sony and you knew for a fact it would be read as long as it is not to long what would you say about SG-1 & Atlantis?
                        If I could write an executive? What, like a real person fanfic? Ummm, I guess PDL would be easy to characterise given his humour and stuff, and I'd use it to make the point that his humour is a bit... off. I guess. It's a very strange question, though! Kudos for originality, writing an exectutive....
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

If you could write an exexcutive from say SciFi and/or Sony and you knew for a fact it would be read as long as it is not to long what would you say about SG-1 & Atlantis?
                          About Seasons One through Eight of SG-1, Season One of Atlantis and "Grace Under Pressure" - I'd let them know what a great job I thought that they did and how much I enjoyed the show (making special mention of Sam and how wonderful she is)

Season Nine of SG-1 - I'd thank them for the first eight seasons, but let them know that I did not enjoy Season Nine, pointing out a few of the things I liked least.

Comment

I would be as polite as I could but still get across my displeasure of how they handled Sam's character and all the original characters, the leadership debate, the lack of the team in season 9, the fact that Mitchell is written poorly and inconsistent, my dislike for the vala character and all her innuendos and poor jokes. I would also give examples of what I am talking about. How when vala shows up the writers forgot everyone else is around. It used to be a team show where they all worked together to get out of a situation or save themselves or Earth. It didn't revolve around making only one of them look like a hero. It didn't lessen the other characters in order to enhance one of their new characters. It's not the mitchell show or the vala show it supposed to be a team show. SG-1 ever heard of it. I use to. (okay so maybe that last part wasn't so nice I'm sure I would edit that part out!)

I am afraid I have only seen a handful of episodes for Atlantis, so I wouldn't have anything to say about that.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                              About Seasons One through Eight of SG-1, Season One of Atlantis and "Grace Under Pressure" - I'd let them know what a great job I thought that they did and how much I enjoyed the show (making special mention of Sam and how wonderful she is)

Season Nine of SG-1 - I'd thank them for the first eight seasons, but let them know that I did not enjoy Season Nine, pointing out a few of the things I liked least.

THat's good advice ReganX. Start with what you like. Letting them know how much you used to love the show and end with your displeasure for the new direction and why.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                yeah, we were gonna be flying back on thanksgiving anyway, so what's a couple more days????

if we cn get in on the friday sessions, we can take the train back tolondon saturday, fly out sunday or monday

yeah, it'll be an extra 500ish for the tickets, plus train and hotel for a fwe more days...but that's a hell of alot less th an another 700 for air fare. plus sue knows some folks that we MIGHT be able to crash with for a few days

i'm giving it very serious consideration
                                Hey we were thinking about doing the same thing. Doing the Fri session and taking the train back to london on Saturday and flying out on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                X