Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK.... so does anyone know of any information, or confirmed references to Sam's military status in Season 10? And what I mean is - is she going to stay in the Air Force?

This is what I envision (fear) happening somewhere near the beginning of Season 10:
    Spoiler:
    Carter is going to 'go civilian'. She'll quit (or retire from) the Air Force and then accept civilian status as Daniel has. She'll be Dr. Carter.

In terms of the show, she'll be sort of in the type of supporting role that Janet used to have. She'll be on screen, but she won't be one of the main players most of the time. She'll be 'second tier' (or maybe she already is).

Moving Carter to civilian status takes care of the 'We don't know what to do with your character' issue.

Mitchell becomes the undisputed CO of SG-1. And then there's the scene with Landry - and Landry can point out that Mitchell now has the sole lead of the team- and Mitchell can reply by pointing out that he has no military subordinates to order around.

It opens the way for ship later on with Jack- and would mean that Jack wouldn't have to retire or give up *his* military status. Or maybe they will both retire and walk off into the sunset.

AT has been quoted as saying that she's tired of wearing combat boots, and I also think that she's said that she doesn't like guns. So, perhaps she would prefer it if Carter weren't in the military any more.

Civilian Dr. Carter would also explain (allow) the hair that touches the collar (as well as what looks like dangling ear rings to me in that pic with BB in one of the latest magazine shots)

-------

At any rate, I think it's looking more and more likely that TPTB will take this route and move Carter to civilian status. It removes her from any possible competition with Mitchell's character. Her Air Force (and pilot) status will fade away just like her remnants and abilities from Jolinar.

-------

My reaction? I'm revolted. Stargate SG-1 seems to be in an unstoppable spin out of control. Out and away from anything I would have ever expected a couple of years ago.

Majorsal posted a few days ago that she'd never seen anything like this before with a long-standing TV series - and I have to agree. I can't think of a single TV series (or book series) where

-->the lead character left and was replaced by the known lead of another show
    -->AND then they also brought in the lead female character from the other show... to become a lead character alongside the new Lead Male...
    (talk about making it hard to differentiate the old roles from the new ones - pretty tough when the two actors are side by side again so soon)

-->AND the remaining veteran leads of the old show are moved aside for the new incoming leads. Where the veteran leads become the props for the incoming new leads.

I can't think of another long-standing series where this ALL happened.

--------

An image popped into my head this morning (as I was bemoaning the likelihood that Carter will be reduced to civilian status)...

An image of Mitchell doing a raucous cannonball into the previously friendly SG-1 swimming pool. He's exhuberant, and gleeful, and he creates such a huge splash and tumult, that the others already in the pool are tossed aside (none too gently)... some get thrown completely out of the pool, while others are just gasping for air.

-------

I am *so* freaking disappointed that they didn't bring Mitchell in as a Major... let Carter lead... let her do it without fanfare... let her do it competently and well...

I wanted to like Mitchell - I was looking forward to the new member of SG-1. Fresh eyes, youthful exhuberance -that would be tempered and protected by our original three (Sam, Daniel and Teal'c).

---------
    Last edited by astrogeologist; 10 June 2006, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
      By the way, just to clarify, my feeble mind makes a distinction between anti-ship and non-ship. Do others feel the same way? I consider myself a non-shippper, because I like J/S friendship and comradeship, (if that's even a word), but I don't necessarily need to see them in a romantic attachment. Don't shoot me, please. But it seems to me that anti-shippers look really hard for any kind of interaction between Jack and Sam to hold up as evidence that TPTB are pushing romance at us.

NC
      I'm with you, NC. I love the J/S friendship, but don't like the romance. But I don't think it's "ruined the show," or "ruined Sam" or "ruined Jack" or the one I really can't stand is the denial that Jack is attracted to her or is annoyed at her "pining" for him. I think those people just don't get RDA's subtler acting moments. I just wish they had not gone with that storyline. So I guess I fit more into "non" rather than "anti" if the "antis" are the rabid ones.
      (I'm not rabid, I just get the occasional twitch & shudder when ship is mentioned. )

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
        I'm with you, NC. I love the J/S friendship, but don't like the romance. But I don't think it's "ruined the show," or "ruined Sam" or "ruined Jack" or the one I really can't stand is the denial that Jack is attracted to her or is annoyed at her "pining" for him. I think those people just don't get RDA's subtler acting moments. I just wish they had not gone with that storyline. So I guess I fit more into "non" rather than "anti" if the "antis" are the rabid ones.
        (I'm not rabid, I just get the occasional twitch & shudder when ship is mentioned. )
        I don't mind ship (in fact I can even enjoy it - if it's done right and doesn't detract, but actually adds, to the main drama/suspense/plot). I've actually written several S/J ship fics - but there is no way that I would ever want ship (S/J or otherwise) to detract from the positive aspects of the character of Sam Carter and what she represents and models as a successful, competent woman in an otherwise male-dominate field (and that applies to both the military AND lead-action-hero fields!)

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          OK.... so does anyone know of any information, or confirmed references to Sam's military status in Season 10? And what I mean is - is she going to stay in the Air Force?

This is what I envision (fear) happening somewhere near the beginning of Season 10:
          Spoiler:
          Carter is going to 'go civilian'. She'll quit (or retire from) the Air Force and then accept civilian status as Daniel has. She'll be Dr. Carter.

---------
          God I hope your fear is wrong. I remember last year when they finally released some photos we were reassured on that point.
          Spoiler:
          I don't see her retiring at this point making sense, but then we can't count on things to make sense these days, can we?

Comment

Spoiler:

In terms of the show, she'll be sort of in the type of supporting role that Janet used to have. She'll be on screen, but she won't be one of the main players most of the time. She'll be 'second tier' (or maybe she already is).

Moving Carter to civilian status takes care of the 'We don't know what to do with your character' issue.

Mitchell becomes the undisputed CO of SG-1. And then there's the scene with Landry - and Landry can point out that Mitchell now has the sole lead of the team- and Mitchell can reply by pointing out that he has no military subordinates to order around.

It opens the way for ship later on with Jack- and would mean that Jack wouldn't have to retire or give up *his* military status. Or maybe they will both retire and walk off into the sunset.

AT has been quoted as saying that she's tired of wearing combat boots, and I also think that she's said that she doesn't like guns. So, perhaps she would prefer it if Carter weren't in the military any more.

Civilian Dr. Carter would also explain (allow) the hair that touches the collar (as well as what looks like dangling ear rings to me in that pic with BB in one of the latest magazine shots)

At any rate, I think it's looking more and more likely that TPTB will take this route and move Carter to civilian status. It removes her from any possible competition with Mitchell's character. Her Air Force pilot status will fade away just like her remnants and abilities from Jolinar.

My reaction? I'm revolted. Stargate SG-1 seems to be in an unstoppable spin out of control. Out and away from anything I would have ever expected a couple of years ago.

Majorsal posted a few days ago that she'd never seen anything like this before with a long-standing TV series - and I have to agree. I can't think of a single TV series (or book series) where

-->AND then they also brought in the lead female character from the other show... to become a lead character alongside the new Lead Male...
            (talk about making it hard to differentiate the old roles from the new ones - pretty tough when the two actors are side by side again so soon)

-->AND the remaining veteran leads of the old show are moved aside for the new incoming leads. Where the veteran leads become the props for the incoming new leads.

An image popped into my head this morning (as I was bemoaning the likelihood that Carter will be reduced to civilian status)...

An image of Mitchell doing a raucous cannonball into the previously friendly SG-1 swimming pool. He's exhuberant, and gleeful, and he creates such a huge splash and tumult, that the others already in the pool are tossed aside (none too gently)... some get thrown completely out of the pool, while others are just gasping for air.

I am *so* freaking disappointed that they didn't bring Mitchell in as a Major... let Carter lead... let her do it without fanfare... let her do it competently and well...

I wanted to like Mitchell - I was looking forward to the new member of SG-1. Fresh eyes, youthful exhuberance -that would be tempered and protected by our original three (Sam, Daniel and Teal'c).
            Wow, Astro, excellent post and worrisome projection.

You make a really sharp observation about that recent magazine promo and pic of Carter and Mitchell.
            Spoiler:
            She is in non-military outfit! Looking quite "civilian on duty" for sure ...
            Is this a preview of things to come? Something that hasn't been shared with the fans yet?

Yes, I agree - it would solve a lot of problems for producers and writers, wouldn't it? But I also agree that the character has been relegated second tier if they go this route.

Only time will tell. Soldier Sam and Pilot Sam added to the fullness of the character and Amanda's wonderful portrayal of a many-layered woman.

TPTB keep renaming the show as comedy; I see this as tragedy.

BTW, I love your swimming pool metaphor - looks like something your friend Jester would write!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

You make a really sharp observation about that recent magazine promo and pic of Carter and Mitchell.
              Spoiler:
              Is this a preview of things to come? Something that hasn't been shared with the fans yet?

Yes, I agree - it would solve a lot of problems for producers and writers, wouldn't it? But I also agree that the character has been relegated second tier if they go this route.

Only time will tell. Soldier Sam and Pilot Sam added to the fullness of the character and Amanda's wonderful portrayal of a many-layered woman.

BTW, I love your swimming pool metaphor - looks like something your friend Jester would write!
              I've heard/read AT say that she loves tromping around the woods with the boys & she feels very comfortable when she's got her P90.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                I've heard/read AT say that she loves tromping around the woods with the boys & she feels very comfortable when she's got her P90.
                that's what i've heard. she's more comfortable in BDUs with a gun in her hand than civs, and loves all the mil work.

anyone have the magazine scan?
                sigpic
                "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Spoiler:

I wouldn't worry about something like this too much. (Or as my Mama says 'don't go borrowin trouble'.)

First:
                  Spoiler:
                  If it's the same picture that's been floating around the boards for days, Cam's in civvies too. Wearing a nice reddish sweater, iirc.

Second: AT has always seemed to me to be one who is really into the integrety of her character. I don't think she would have sounded quite as pleased with Season 10 if she'd suddenly been shunted out of the AF.

And it would make no logical sense for her to be so.

Plus, this speculation contradicts spoilers
                  Spoiler:
                  where Cam is expressing concern that he can't lead SG1 because he and Sam are the same rank.

Comment

Spoiler:

-------

At any rate, I think it's looking more and more likely that TPTB will take this route and move Carter to civilian status. It removes her from any possible competition with Mitchell's character. Her Air Force (and pilot) status will fade away just like her remnants and abilities from Jolinar.

-------

--------

-------

---------
                    I'm totally hoping that you're wrong, and I just read through all the GW spoilers for next season hoping to prove you wrong. But as you probably know, there are very few references to Sam at all, and all of them refer to Sam or Carter, so no hints there. But I will gently remind you that last year about this time, you were almost convinced that they'd Tokrafy Sam in season 9. Thankfully that never came to pass, although what we got isn't a whole lot better.

I am afraid that they'll continue to wallpaper her, using her as a straight man(woman) for Dr. Lee's fumbling scientist bit, or as the concerned onlooker while Cam and Vala get into and out of trouble.

NC

Comment

I don't mind ship (in fact I can even enjoy it - if it's done right and doesn't detract, but actually adds, to the main drama/suspense/plot). I've actually written several S/J ship fics - but there is no way that I would ever want ship (S/J or otherwise) to detract from the positive aspects of the character of Sam Carter and what she represents and models as a successful, competent woman in an otherwise male-dominated field (and that applies to both the military AND lead-action-hero fields!)
                      Exactly, Astro. I cringe when I start to read some fanfic that have Carter turning into some kind of emotional teenager with a crush on Jack. Or Jack, written out of character (IMHO), by using words like "babe, doll" in reference to Sam.

This isn't what these two characters are about. For eight years, we've watched them in all sorts of situations and we've grown to a) respect them as competent military officers and b) enjoy the many nuances of their personalities. They both are continually evolving (er, they were - until end of S8) and the actors bring such rich subtleties to how they play them.

We know Jack talks a good fight, has had deep personal loss (divorce and death of son), uses humor as a defense mechanism, can be tough and stubborn but always there for his team. Sam is the air-force brat who loses a mother at an important stage of her life (early adolescence), has to adjust to living in a world of men only (father and brother) and then chooses a path that may or may not have been a free choice at the time she made it. She goes on though to become a top graduate of the Academy, serves in combat, achieves a degree in a male-oriented field (astrophysics), and earns promotion after promotion until she lands the SGC position. She's a go-getter but in a good way. She also has her vulnerabilities - a thing for "wounded birds" and hiding her emotions to be as tough as the guys. Both have cost her. She starts to learn this as the seasons (of the show) progress. She and Jack, above all, are honorable servants of the military. They never break the rules and regulations. They leave it in the room.

So, for shippers or non-shippers, the characters of Sam and Jack have had a pretty good run. Now, though, in all fairness to the characters and given the scripts for Threads and Moebius, the writers should provide the denouement and let us all know whether they do find a way to honorably commit to each other or continue as colleagues and friends. Good writing would continue to keep the relationship subtle and in the background. The characters would be doing their jobs and just hinting at what goes on in their personal lives. Yeah - I'd love to see some real moments of bliss too. Again, it would have to be written sensitively and maturely. (Current writers do not seem to have much of that going on right now.)

I love that NC and jckfan are more comfortable and think it more appropriate for the couple not to be paired romantically. I respect that route. But NC and jckfan seem open minded and willing to entertain certain thoughts of ship given the circumstances and arcs that present themselves.

I love that majorsal and many other Samandans (myself included) see a future for the pairing of Jack and Sam. But this future cannot come as a sacrifice of the essence of either character. We pretty much know them by now. I see them bringing a certain caution and even amazement (at their good fortune) should they ever get together. I don't see Jack running around and calling Sam "babe" ever! That's just not my Jack. Likewise, I see a woman who would be strong enough to maintain her independence and call Jack on the carpet if he needed it. Sam Carter will never be a Stepford wife.

Bottom line: we all miss the Jack/Sam dynamic we've been privy to for eight wonderful years. The teasing looks, the playful banter, the commitment as colleagues - all great stuff. RDA left; AT, MS and CJ picked up the slack. It was evident in the last season of merit (S8). Now RDA is ready to return. What is he returning to? WE WANT TO SEE SAM AND JACK IN SCENES TOGETHER. I'm beginning to wonder if that will even happen.

My fear? Jack is being shipped to SA but no mention of Carter in those episodes and she's crossing over, briefly, to inject some energy into a McKay and his sister plot. Pardon the pun, but Jack and Sam seem like two ships passing in the night. Bah!

BRING TWO FINE LEAD ACTORS TOGETHER IN A SPIN-OFF - what a missed opportunity if they don't!

Comment

I'm totally hoping that you're wrong, and I just read through all the GW spoilers for next season hoping to prove you wrong. But as you probably know, there are very few references to Sam at all, and all of them refer to Sam or Carter, so no hints there. But I will gently remind you that last year about this time, you were almost convinced that they'd Tokrafy Sam in season 9. Thankfully that never came to pass, although what we got isn't a whole lot better.

I am afraid that they'll continue to wallpaper her, using her as a straight man(woman) for Dr. Lee's fumbling scientist bit, or as the concerned onlooker while Cam and Vala get into and out of trouble.

NC
                        LOL, okay - Astro and I will have to see what happens, eh? I do remember the Tokrafying period at SaGC.

The wallpapering is still a very worrisome issue though.

Comment

Spoiler:

-------

-------

--------

-------

---------
                          Well astro if that happens I think they'll lose a lot more of their fans causing the ratings to go lower and lower Looks like that hole they are digging just keeps getting deeper and deeper. I guess it just goes to show that RDA and Gekko were the brains and maturity of TPTB, now that they are gone what's left
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Exactly, Astro. I cringe when I start to read some fanfic that have Carter turning into some kind of emotional teenager with a crush on Jack. Or Jack, written out of character (IMHO), by using words like "babe, doll" in reference to Sam.

This isn't what these two characters are about. For eight years, we've watched them in all sorts of situations and we've grown to a) respect them as competent military officers and b) enjoy the many nuances of their personalities. They both are continually evolving (er, they were - until end of S8) and the actors bring such rich subtleties to how they play them.

We know Jack talks a good fight, has had deep personal loss (divorce and death of son), uses humor as a defense mechanism, can be tough and stubborn but always there for his team. Sam is the air-force brat who loses a mother at an important stage of her life (early adolescence), has to adjust to living in a world of men only (father and brother) and then chooses a path that may or may not have been a free choice at the time she made it. She goes on though to become a top graduate of the Academy, serves in combat, achieves a degree in a male-oriented field (astrophysics), and earns promotion after promotion until she lands the SGC position. She's a go-getter but in a good way. She also has her vulnerabilities - a thing for "wounded birds" and hiding her emotions to be as tough as the guys. Both have cost her. She starts to learn this as the seasons (of the show) progress. She and Jack, above all, are honorable servants of the military. They never break the rules and regulations. They leave it in the room.

So, for shippers or non-shippers, the characters of Sam and Jack have had a pretty good run. Now, though, in all fairness to the characters and given the scripts for Threads and Moebius, the writers should provide the denouement and let us all know whether they do find a way to honorably commit to each other or continue as colleagues and friends. Good writing would continue to keep the relationship subtle and in the background. The characters would be doing their jobs and just hinting at what goes on in their personal lives. Yeah - I'd love to see some real moments of bliss too. Again, it would have to be written sensitively and maturely. (Current writers do not seem to have much of that going on right now.)

I love that NC and jckfan are more comfortable and think it more appropriate for the couple not to be paired romantically. I respect that route. But NC and jckfan seem open minded and willing to entertain certain thoughts of ship given the circumstances and arcs that present themselves.

I love that majorsal and many other Samandans (myself included) see a future for the pairing of Jack and Sam. But this future cannot come as a sacrifice of the essence of either character. We pretty much know them by now. I see them bringing a certain caution and even amazement (at their good fortune) should they ever get together. I don't see Jack running around and calling Sam "babe" ever! That's just not my Jack. Likewise, I see a woman who would be strong enough to maintain her independence and call Jack on the carpet if he needed it. Sam Carter will never be a Stepford wife.

Bottom line: we all miss the Jack/Sam dynamic we've been privy to for eight wonderful years. The teasing looks, the playful banter, the commitment as colleagues - all great stuff. RDA left; AT, MS and CJ picked up the slack. It was evident in the last season of merit (S8). Now RDA is ready to return. What is he returning to? WE WANT TO SEE SAM AND JACK IN SCENES TOGETHER. I'm beginning to wonder if that will even happen.

My fear? Jack is being shipped to SA but no mention of Carter in those episodes and she's crossing over, briefly, to inject some energy into a McKay and his sister plot. Pardon the pun, but Jack and Sam seem like two ships passing in the night. Bah!

BRING TWO FINE LEAD ACTORS TOGETHER IN A SPIN-OFF - what a missed opportunity if they don't!

Sigh. My fingers hate me today-I had a post all written out, and I did *something* and made it disappear. You're probably all better off. LOL)

So I will just add that I do think that after setting it up in Threads and Mobeius, that the story line deserves a proper closure. Me? I like my ship subtle-so I would be perfectly delighted with just illusions to the fact that Sam and Jack are together.

People have expressed concern that there will be a big honkin kiss in the 200th episode, and we'll find out it's all Martin's view of what he thinks is going on. I would be fine with that, if they, say, followed up the scene where Jack and Sam vehmently tell the folks gathered round the briefing table that no decent AF officer would ever behave like that on duty, and what kind of people do they take them for with the room clearing out and Sam and/or Jack asking the other if they want to stop for groceries on the way home, or just order take out-or something equally blase.

I would prefer to find out that they're in a long-term, stable relationship rather, I think, than needing to see any fireworks.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                              Sigh. My fingers hate me today-I had a post all written out, and I did *something* and made it disappear. You're probably all better off. LOL)

So I will just add that I do think that after setting it up in Threads and Mobeius, that the story line deserves a proper closure. Me? I like my ship subtle-so I would be perfectly delighted with just illusions to the fact that Sam and Jack are together.

People have expressed concern that there will be a big honkin kiss in the 200th episode, and we'll find out it's all Martin's view of what he thinks is going on. I would be fine with that, if they, say, followed up the scene where Jack and Sam vehmently tell the folks gathered round the briefing table that no decent AF officer would ever behave like that on duty, and what kind of people do they take them for with the room clearing out and Sam and/or Jack asking the other if they want to stop for groceries on the way home, or just order take out-or something equally blase.

I would prefer to find out that they're in a long-term, stable relationship rather, I think, than needing to see any fireworks.
                              I think I could deal with that. (twitch)

Comment

I doesn't apply in my case at least, Sally.
                                Spoiler:
                                I'm a non-shipper for Jack and Sam, but I didn't mind the G/S ship. I certainly don't want to see a lot of it, that's not what the show is about, but the ending didn't bother me the way that it did a lot of people. Of course, I'm not a rabid anti-shipper, so maybe I haven't been invited to the secret society

By the way, just to clarify, my feeble mind makes a distinction between anti-ship and non-ship. Do others feel the same way? I consider myself a non-shippper, because I like J/S friendship and comradeship, (if that's even a word), but I don't necessarily need to see them in a romantic attachment. Don't shoot me, please. But it seems to me that anti-shippers look really hard for any kind of interaction between Jack and Sam to hold up as evidence that TPTB are pushing romance at us.

NC
                                This would seem to apply to me as well. I don't really like the idea of the ship as I think it doesnt make either Carter or O'Neill look good. I dont think the woman always needs to be pinning after the lead man or the other way around. On the other hand, the subtel stuff doesnt really bother me too much. I am not a shipper but I loved SOLITUDES. I saw it as two great friends basically dieing together while their other two great friends work to save them. And I really liked DIVIDE AND CONQUER (well except the end, poor martoof).

But I really really really dont want to see the resolution some people are calling for. If they get together offscreen. after one has retired, then ... whatever, I dont really care one way or the other. But to use their "relationship" as a ratings ploy and thus continue to make both characters look bad (as they did in Threads), now that would upset me. Of course I aint watching anymore, nor do I consider anything in S9-S10 to exist in my Stargate reality, so again... whatever.

In general I say let personal lives stay personal and let the show be about what it has always been about, a team of 4 great\honorable people saving the world. Just MHO.
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X