Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
    I heard it was "accidental" too. I remember hearing in an interview or something that when the show was conceived, they neeeded a female on the team to 'balance' it out and help draw female viewers. (coz RDA alone wasn't enough ) TPTB knew that there would be a potential storyline in there with a female on the team, and intended on writing one (possibly Solitudes?) and it just went from there. I think a lot of the early 'ship' we see is just the actors adding bits in, and overall acting very well together.
    Oh, I think this early ship was clearly put in by the writers and directors. The chemistry is good, but it's not doing the talking yet because the characters don't know each other well, and the actors have to act it that way. As majorsal said, there's the entire Broca Divide. There's the cutaway shot from The First Commandment, the "Oh, I adore you already" and "I like women." This was all intentional.

It was definitely Sam who drew me into the series. When the geeky girl happened to be hot and good with a gun I felt like there was hope for geeky girls everywhere, having grown up with the idea of Velma in Scooby-Doo imprinted into my self-image.

But then, I found out my personality was more like Jack's and it was all downhill from there.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    sam/teal'c didn't happen. if you didn't see it on screen, it didn't happen. it's that simple (even though i freaked when i heard certain ideas).

sam/mitchell didn't happen either. if you didn't see it on screen, it didn't happen.

try to let this go, sillysally. if you can't, though, copious amounts of caffeine, chocolate, and smutty fics will help the hurt.
    I find having a hot husband I can dress up to look like Jack doesn't hurt, either.

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
    Nope, only happy resolution (BHK, maybe a bedroom scene ) in the 3rd movie will help!
    I quite agree. The TPTB have a lot of making up to do here, as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by VSS; 19 April 2009, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
      I find having a hot husband I can dress up to look like Jack doesn't hurt, either.

About Captains leading the teams, I think it happened only in the early seasons, probably the first 2. And I may be wrong about that, but I think it was in Season's 3 "Shades of Grey" when with Jack's sting operation Daniel wanted Sam to lead SG-1 and Hammond told him she doesn't have enough experience. I think folks took it from there thinking anyone below the rank of Major couldn't lead the team, and the fanon became the canon because if I'm not mistaken we never again see a Captain as a CO of SG team.

But I do think they have enlisted personnel on the teams; wasn't Wells in Heroes an airman?
      There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
      sigpic
      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post

About Captains leading the teams, I think it happened only in the early seasons, probably the first 2. And I may be wrong about that, but I think it was in Season's 3 "Shades of Grey" when with Jack's sting operation Daniel wanted Sam to lead SG-1 and Hammond told him she doesn't have enough experience. I think folks took it from there thinking anyone below the rank of Major couldn't lead the team, and the fanon became the canon because if I'm not mistaken we never again see a Captain as a CO of SG team.

But I do think they have enlisted personnel on the teams; wasn't Wells in Heroes an airman?
        good point, although there may be a difference between leading the flagship team when you've *just* been promoted to Major and leading a different SG team, I mean some of them are different configurations I think. Wasn't one of them a diplomatic team?? (I'm thinking Prisoners here...)
        sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
          good point, although there may be a difference between leading the flagship team when you've *just* been promoted to Major and leading a different SG team, I mean some of them are different configurations I think. Wasn't one of them a diplomatic team?? (I'm thinking Prisoners here...)
          Yes, that was diplomatic team indeed , but also led by a Major (Kovacs?). Also. SG-11 led by Capt. Connor in Spirits was an engineer team, IIRC, and there are teams consisting of just Marines. But for example SG-13, which wasn't a flagship or even a premiere team was also led by a Colonel, while its member, Wells, was a Senior Airman (I checked ). So I guess there aren't really any rules and TPTB make it up as they go.
          sigpic
          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
            <snip>

I heard it was "accidental" too. I remember hearing in an interview or something that when the show was conceived, they neeeded a female on the team to 'balance' it out and help draw female viewers. (coz RDA alone wasn't enough ) TPTB knew that there would be a potential storyline in there with a female on the team, and intended on writing one (possibly Solitudes?) and it just went from there. I think a lot of the early 'ship' we see is just the actors adding bits in, and overall acting very well together.
            I think it was on one of the behind the gate things they had in the later seasons.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            here's something amanda said at the vancouver con -

http://stargate-sg1 solutions.com/features/creation_vancouver_09.shtml#amanda

During the filming of Unending, Chris and Amanda decided there was an extra connection between the two of them that would play out after Landry died of old age, when they met and hugged in the hallway. In rehearsals it worked great: Carter sat with Landry as he died then stepped into the hallway to be comforted by Teal'c. So they went to shoot the scene, with Landry dying and Carter crying, when the door opened, there was Chris standing there in nothing but a leather thong with the SG-1 logo on the front. She was so shocked she couldn't even look at him. She just kept covering her eyes. It was very funny.

~~~

does this help, sillysally? it helps me.
            I don't think I would have been able to look at him either, not with a straight face at least. I can understand an extra connection, he is like the first shipper, but not a romantic relationship. He's old enough to be her grandpa for cryin' out loud!
            Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Yes, but none with names. I can't think of any that we actually meet besides Haley. They don't even give any lines to any other women SG members.
              You do remember Astor?

Good to see the return of great discussions!
              I've been away for a few weeks.
              sigpic
              Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
              My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                You do remember Astor?
                *facepalm*

I have no idea how could I forgot all about her...
                sigpic
                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

*facepalm*

I have no idea how could I forgot all about her...
                  We're bad shippers.

Welcome back, Zoser!

Comment

Sam did take temporary command of SG-1 in Spirits when Jack was wounded but I think in Shades of Grey it was supposed to appear a permanent new leader. Having a fairly new promoted Major lead the flagship team was perhaps something that the other Colonel's on base would've resented? Or was is perhaps because Col. Makepeace was a suspect? I can't remember it's been a long time since I watched that episode.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have questions for anyone who's been following the plans for SGU. I don't know where to ask them so i thought I'd try here since shippers seem less likely to say "What an idiot!" in response to stupid questions! And it kind of doesn't have that much to do with SGU so much as the future of SG-1.

Spoiler:
                      So I finally got around to watching the SGU trailers and, aside from the jerky camera action which I'm going to attribute to being due mostly to the fact that it's a montage- I liked it. It doesn't seem as melodramatic as BSG. So far, so good.

But here's my question. Lots of people have been guessing that the Icarus base might be on our moon. At first I was resistant to that idea because I love the tie-in with the Air Force, but times do change. One of these days the US was going to have to give up the gate, and it's kind of like the UN, who wants to pay for it anyway when it can be such a pain in the neck?

Also, the events of EatG indicate that something is going on, anyway. Landry being away on a task force and the Odyssey being on a secret mission, for starters. And Alan made a very good point that Icarus is a crater on the far side of the moon, near locations Daedulus and Korolev.

So here's a few things I know:
                      Icarus base is very big, and apparently underground. It's supposed to be secret (well, isn't everything?). It's very important and evidently thought to be pretty safe because they've got visiting dignitaries and others who don't belong anywhere near the front lines. And they have their very own uniforms. So this base is at least as important as Atlantis, which also warranted its own uniforms.

The gate appears to be a Milky Way gate, and it looks like the gate room, only updated. In fact, it looks like our gate. Our point of origin is on it, I think.

The IOA appears to be in on this, if not running the whole show. Because of the uniforms and the presence of the IOA, I'm thinking the SGC doesn't have much to do with this.

Jack O'Neill is going to be in about 6 episodes. Six! That's a lot for it having to do with some off-world base. Especially when the series is supposed to be about the Destiny. In the very first episode they're already on the ship. And why Walter? He's never left earth before (200 doesn't count.) But we know the control room has been taken down. (Edit: Thanks to Amanda for pointing out he went off-world in Fallen. Still, why now?)

Okay, so here's my theory. I think the earth gate gets moved to the moon for safety's sake and to share it with other countries. It gets attacked, and not only is the first season dealing with the Destiny, there's a fair amount taking place at the new, now devastated base. Hence, the need for SG-1 characters. Now I know there's a communication device that they use to talk with earth, but I can't imagine that many episodes tied into that.

So anyway, i think this is good for the S/J ship, too. Although I haven't thought too far ahead about that. What do you guys think?

Spoiler:
                      The other possibility is that it could be essentially area 51 moved off-world, but not to our moon.
                      Last edited by VSS; 19 April 2009, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Yes, but none with names. I can't think of any that we actually meet besides Haley. They don't even give any lines to any other women SG members.
                        Well she doesn't have a name but there is a woman on Henry Boyd's team in MoT

I'm afraid I don't know *anything* about SGU, VSS. Although if it was on the moon I wouldn't be *shocked*
                        sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

VSS you theory seems very sound and I'd love to hear how this sounds good for the S/J ship as well, unfortunately I can't think of anything to add to what you just said (takes too much deep thinking)

On a completely opposite note, walter did go off world. No body remembers that he did.

It's the episode 'Fallen'

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                          Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                          Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

uh, can i see a pic of your hubby, dressed up as jack of course?
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

I have questions for anyone who's been following the plans for SGU. I don't know where to ask them so i thought I'd try here since shippers seem less likely to say "What an idiot!" in response to stupid questions! And it kind of doesn't have that much to do with SGU so much as the future of SG-1.

Spoiler:
                              So I finally got around to watching the SGU trailers and, aside from the jerky camera action which I'm going to attribute to being due mostly to the fact that it's a montage- I liked it. It doesn't seem as melodramatic as BSG. So far, so good.

But here's my question. Lots of people have been guessing that the Icarus base might be on our moon. At first I was resistant to that idea because I love the tie-in with the Air Force, but times do change. One of these days the US was going to have to give up the gate, and it's kind of like the UN, who wants to pay for it anyway when it can be such a pain in the neck?

Also, the events of EatG indicate that something is going on, anyway. Landry being away on a task force and the Odyssey being on a secret mission, for starters. And Alan made a very good point that Icarus is a crater on the far side of the moon, near locations Daedulus and Korolev.

Icarus base is very big, and apparently underground. It's supposed to be secret (well, isn't everything?). It's very important and evidently thought to be pretty safe because they've got visiting dignitaries and others who don't belong anywhere near the front lines. And they have their very own uniforms. So this base is at least as important as Atlantis, which also warranted its own uniforms.

The gate appears to be a Milky Way gate, and it looks like the gate room, only updated. In fact, it looks like our gate. Our point of origin is on it, I think.

The IOA appears to be in on this, if not running the whole show. Because of the uniforms and the presence of the IOA, I'm thinking the SGC doesn't have much to do with this.

Jack O'Neill is going to be in about 6 episodes. Six! That's a lot for it having to do with some off-world base. Especially when the series is supposed to be about the Destiny. In the very first episode they're already on the ship. And why Walter? He's never left earth before (200 doesn't count.) But we know the control room has been taken down.

Okay, so here's my theory. I think the earth gate gets moved to the moon for safety's sake and to share it with other countries. It gets attacked, and not only is the first season dealing with the Destiny, there's a fair amount taking place at the new, now devastated base. Hence, the need for SG-1 characters. Now I know there's a communication device that they use to talk with earth, but I can't imagine that many episodes tied into that.

So anyway, i think this is good for the S/J ship, too. Although I haven't thought too far ahead about that. What do you guys think?

Spoiler:
                              The other possibility is that it could be essentially area 51 moved off-world, but not to our moon.
                              I haven't seen too many of the spoilers and only one trailer, so your ideas sound pretty good to me.

My question/comment:
                              Spoiler:
                              If the Icarus base is on the moon and the gate has been moved there, how do the "shrubs" get there? Do you think they'll employ Asgard beaming devices?

I was confused when I saw Jack would be in 6 episodes based on how the series was supposed to take place on a ship in another galaxy that they can't figure out how to get off/back home. Here's hoping we'll see lots of Sam with Jack, not separately.
                              sigpic
                              Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Spoiler:

Jack O'Neill is going to be in about 6 episodes. Six! That's a lot for it having to do with some off-world base. Especially when the series is supposed to be about the Destiny. In the very first episode they're already on the ship. And why Walter? He's never left earth before (200 doesn't count.) But we know the control room has been taken down.

Spoiler:
                                spoilers for 'continuum' as well -

Spoiler:
                                i'll be honest, reading speculation that this base might be a moonbase, and that it 'might' be what sam and jack were talking about at the end of 'continuum'...

it kind of disappoints me, because it liked moonbase being a secret term for 'honeymoon'.

really, that's my main concern.

sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X