Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only problem with the lack of hyperdrive is that if the ship with the hyperdrive is destroyed there's a good chance that the one without it is screwed.

Not to belittle the design, it's just an inherent vulnurability in a ship with no hyperdrive meant to be towed by a ship with a hyperdrive, that it is dependent on the ship with the hyperdrive.
    Last edited by jds1982; 07 November 2006, 11:57 AM.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
      The only problem with the lack of hyperdrive is that if the ship with the hyperdrive is destroyed there's a good chance that the one without it is screwed.

Not to belittle the design, it's just an inherent vulnurability in a ship with no hyperdrive meant to be towed by a ship with a hyperdrive, that it is dependent on the ship with the hyperdrive.
      It was a price they had to pay. A ship designed primarily for assault had to have something removed for an extra weapons capacity and the hyperdrive was the one thing it didn't require.
      Meet the Karn, the true race of the stars.

Comment

Also in all fairness if you have an assualt craft and then a larger ( say deadalus class ship) and the deadalus is blown up, then what chance, realistically does the assault ship have anyway. If the deadalus cant survive theres a good chance whatever is out there will get to the destroyer pretty sharpish. although if you are trying to retreat and you are tryign to round up the assualt ships mid battle, and the assualt ship has lost sublights then it would be a very tough choice, because getting the dead in the water assault ship mid battle might mean the large ship is going to take a battering, losing hyperdrive and standing them both. So maybe what could be done in that a small hyperdrive should be fitted, but one that can only do short system to system jumps. Thereby meanign the assault craft can jump to the nearest system, meeting its ferring craft, that would give the best of both worlds, because you could retrofit a teltaks hyperdrive ( or just keep a teltak in the ship somewhere) so that just in case it can be teid in to the ships power systems, expand its hyperspace window (ala failsafe) around the ship and then make a quick jump to the nearest system
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by fallen_arbiter View Post
          It was a price they had to pay. A ship designed primarily for assault had to have something removed for an extra weapons capacity and the hyperdrive was the one thing it didn't require.
          I understand, it's just weird to think of an Earth ship that won't run away.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Ok, I rushed myself and skipped several hours of school work so I have a rough version of my Tegalus class gunship. Unfortunately due to technical errors I can't upload the model itself at the moment so instead I brought these two pictures so that you can get an idea of what I'm working on, and maybe make some suggestions.

Spoiler:

P.S. If you want to wait for the full model don't look in the spoiler tags.
            Last edited by Daryl Froggy; 29 November 2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fallen_arbiter View Post
              Idea: a second ship with few weapons, but a powerful hyperdrive and shields to hold your assault ships.

Comment

Video (stupid photobucket and it's stupid big "thumbnails")

There you go, Immhotep, Anything else you want let me know, that was just a quick few minutes. Most of the time was spent actually rendering it.
                If you don't like how it's dark on one side, that's because there was a light I didn't see, I can remove it...
                EDIT: Here it is without the shadow
                Video

EDIT: And here is, so far, my Anti-Fanwank Universe ship. I designed it based on a city ship, so that's pretty much what it is.

I'll work on it more later.
                Last edited by WTFOwned; 07 November 2006, 04:40 PM.
                Oh snap. You're reading a really old post.

Comment

Name:
                  Theseus Class Battleship
                  DSBBN-308 (Deep Space Naquada Powered Battleship)

Role:
                  Advanced Anti-Wraith Interdiction Warship.
                  Primary combat ship in Pegasus Galaxy.

Size:
                  The ships hull is 279 meters long, 174 meters wide, and 52 meters in height
                  She has 10 decks, each about 4 meters tall including between deck spacing.

Physical structure:
                  The ship has the same texture (being made with the same materials) as the Daedalus class. The ship has a similar structure also. Except it has a slighlty more stuby neck.
                  It has twin structures on each side of the ship like the Daedalus class, but they are far thinner, and they contain sensors and other tech, unlike the Daedalus which has fighter bays.
                  A single launch bay is on the ventral side of the ship, running about half the length of the ship, having a slightly slanted door structure.
                  The neck has neck "wings" also, like on the Daedalus class. These are located barely lower than the center of the neck. And just bellow the anti-fighter missile banks.

Propulsion:
                  One Standard Asgard Hyperdrive.
                  Four Ion drives act as the sublight engines.
                  Anti-gravity systems paired with lower ion thrusters allow for landing.

Power Source:
                  The ship is powered by twin Earth varying Naquada generators that send power each at certain intervals of overcharged power, but before critical mass is reached, the second generator is activated and power is acquired from the second generator. This allows for more overall power to the ship at any given time. The ship can be set to just run on both at full power in an emergency, but if they both reach critical they have to be either shut down, or ejected after a few more minutes of running.
                  Several small portable Naquada Mark I and II generators are on the ship in case of a loss of power. They are altogether sufficient for limited powering of the shields or hyperdrive. But can comfortably power most other systems including the transporters.
                  Each ship is also powered by a ZPM acquired (read scavenged) from several of the complexes overwhelmed by the Wraith 10,000 years ago. The ZPMs are each almost depleted, but have enough juice to allow for a rather lengthy (by earth engagements with the Wraith standards) period of use.
                  There are only 4 of these in this state; so no more than 4 ships can be built with this advantage.
                  One of these ZPMs is only used in the case that the generators were overloaded both together and shut down or ejected, the ship is under intense assault and requires more shield energy, or if the ship needs a quick hyperdrive boost. Any uses other than those would waste the limited energy without need.

Weaponry:
                  Anti-Fighter/light-anti ship weapons:
                  8 120mm on the dorsal surface.
                  6 120mm railguns on the ventral surface.
                  5 150 mm railguns on the port and 5 more on the starboard sides.
                  4 120mm railguns on the stern.
                  36 Anti-Fighter missiles spread along two banks, one on the port and one on the starboard of the neck.
                  Main weapons:
                  12 Naquada enhanced nuclear missiles that are each slightly more powerful than the ones on the Daedalus class These are spread in varying double silos with six on the dorsal and six on the ventral sides of the neck.
                  2 full ship length 120mm coil guns with a 5 degree aiming ability. They are each located on either side of the neck inside the protruding wings on the neck, which on this ship run along the center of the neck. The guns can fire a standard 120mm trinium round at 16,000kph
                  2 1/3rd ship length variable rotation 15 degree (in all directions except towards eachother. In that case the degree rotation is only 9 degrees) 100mm coil guns with Naquada passive fission rounds.
                  The round is designed that on kinetic impact with a shield or hull, the forward section of the round is forced back and the round goes into nuclear fission causing a massive explosion. The coilguns sit at about 1/6th from the end of the ship.

Defenses:
                  A single Asgard shield generator/projector net, creates a standard Asgard shield bubble around the ship.
                  A secondary Ancient shield is capable of being powered. Several of these were salvaged from new small ships being constructed at the ship yards. They were incomplete and some were also. They were completed by mostly guesswork and Asgard assistance (provided for in exchange for the two most completed and least damaged units). The shields are inferior to most Ancient shields do to their incomplete and somewhat damaged nature. But also because they were not designed to be that advanced to begin with. They were designed to be simple and easily produced, but they still allow decent protection of the ship should the Asgard shields fail and overload.

Craft:
                  The ship can hold 8 F-302 fighters in disassembled storage. Or 3 in flight ready mode.
                  The ship can allow 4 to land when none are in the bay. The bay is designated as the main cargo bay and is usually filed with supplies that have to be beamed to other sections of the ship in case the bay needs to be used for flights. The ship can hold one Tel’tak shuttle, or three Puddle Jumpers.

Other:
                  The ship is equipped with ring transporters,
                  Standard Asgard beaming technology.
                  Standard retro-engineered Goa’uld crystalline computers.
                  Ancient inspired ZPM superconducting power conduits, these essentially turn most of the ship into a super conductor.

History and details:
                  The Theseus Class ship was designed when the US Government assigned Naval and Army engineers to work on a recently discovered Ancient construction depot in the Pegasus Galaxy. This construction depot was discovered by the Atlantis expedition nearly a year ago. It was the only other known Ancient base with a Gate capable of going between galaxies. Before its discovery, only the Atlantis gate was thought to be capable of this. Apparently the Wraith had attacked it and no one was left alive after the Battle. The Ancients had used some sort of biological agent (now undetectable) to kill themselves and the invading Wraith. The depot was littered with destroyed Ancient structures and factories. Several severely damaged examples of a then new class of cheap, easily produced Ancient warship were found. None were spaceworthy or even flyable. The complex was protected by several shields, which were powered by ZPMs. These shields apparently failed under an intense Wraith assault. Of a total of 10 ZPMs in the many mile long complex, 5 still contained some power (our forces set one up to act as a power source for the facility, it retained about 25% of its charge and was the only one capable of doing this, if the Wraith attack, it won’t last long under fire and it won’t be able to defend most of the complex with shields), three manufacturing plants remained largely intact, while two ship construction bunkers remained operational.
                  Thanks to a recently discovered ZPM in the Milky way, Earth has been sending large numbers of international forces to assist the Atlantis team. They set up a base on this planet and started salvaging what they could. They recovered many parts from the Ancient ships. Including several examples of a new cheap version of Ancient shield, far less powerful or advanced than other ones such as those on Atlantis and the Aurora Type ships, but more advanced than the Asgard shields. None were fully intact, and few had been finished to begin with. The Asgard by request set up a science post and garrison on the Planet to assist our forces.
                  The Asgard were able to retrofit the shields into effective versions, but far inferior to what they could have been.
                  The Naval designers at request of the National representatives (the thing with Wolsey) began design of a new class of combat dedicated warship capable of operating within the Pegasus galaxy full time against the Wraith. Their solution: The Theseus class.
                  4 ships were to be built in the initial run. Each taking merely two months to finish do to the impressive Ancient systems that allowed mostly automated construction.
                  The ships would require another two months of testing and final system installation before being ready for combat. So all five would be ready by years end, if they had enough personnel to crew them.
                  So untill a crew could be assembled for any ships after the first two, they would be mothballed untill said crew could be cleared, trained and sent to their new post. The first two ships would be crewed partially by designers and teams sent during construction. This new project will begin stretching the secret Stargate project very thin.
                  The Asgard installed their now standard improvements, as well as on each one of the sub-par Ancient-based shields as a secondary emergency shield (Ancient and Asgard shields use different projection methods, so they can not be operated in tandem, and doing so would drain all the ships power anyway. But both can be charged for use, and power can be transferred if the Asgard shield generator overloads. Overall the secondary shield is far weaker and less resilient do to its ad hoc nature, but it is useful.).
                  Each ship is also equipped with one of the six nearly depleted ZPMs to allow for emergency power in case of a loss of main power, or a need for emergency shield power, or a hyperdrive boost. The ZPMs have little energy left, but all have different amounts. On average one of the ZPMs will allow the ship 6 minutes of extended shield power, or a doubling of hyperspace speed by three times the speed for 10 minutes or two times the speed for twenty minutes.
                  The last advantage of the ships are the new coil guns.
                  Coil guns, unlike rail guns, have a far greater speed potential, and are able to be made to any length.
                  2 large calibre coil guns are set at the entire length of the ship, these allow a massive amount of force against a target.
                  These while effective, have a very limited range of motion, and tend to blow through a target with little mor effect. A more effective round if conceived would make this weapon drastically more effective.
                  2 other medium calibre coil guns are set at about a third of the length of the ship. These can fire with a far greater degree of rotation. Allowing greater ease of targeting. They use a new type of round that creates a Naquada fission reaction through a sudden kinetic impact causing the forwards section of the round to be forced into the rear section causing the atoms to ram into each other and split (similar in principle to the mechanism used on the Hiroshima[or Nagasaki, can’t remember] Bomb).
                  These rounds are stored individually in separate trinium armored cases to prevent damage to the ship in case of some strange detonation. This limits the amount of ammunition and the re-fire rate severely.

The ships are expected to be the first ships capable of standing head to head against a Wraith Cruiser, and with a sister ship, against a Wraith Hive ship.

So: Comments: Oppinions: Ideas to improve the ship:
                  Last edited by An-Alteran; 10 November 2006, 10:19 PM. Reason: Contradiction in backstory

Comment

Haha! And here it is, almost done, the Universe City Ship.
                    The ultimate in Anti-Fanwank technology!

Length: About 158,400 feet (more realistic figure than 100 miles, also helps with scaling)
                    Crew: Can carry 100,000+ people
                    Weapons:
                    1000 secondary Rail guns with nukes
                    1 "Arse Whupper" beam cannon (it's a few miles long, btw)
                    Engines: Unknown, but it's really fast.

and of course, the picture:
                    Last edited by WTFOwned; 07 November 2006, 05:21 PM.
                    Oh snap. You're reading a really old post.

Comment

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
                      Name:
                      Theseus Class Battleship
                      DSBBN-308 (Deep Space Naquada Powered Battleship)

Role:
                      Advanced Anti-Wraith Interdiction Warship.
                      Primary combat ship in Pegasus Galaxy.

Size:
                      The ships hull is 279 meters long, 174 meters wide, and 52 meters in height
                      She has 10 decks, each about 4 meters tall including between deck spacing.

Physical structure. The ship has the same texture (being made with the same materials) as the Daedalus class. The ship has a similar structure also. Except it has a slighlty more stuby neck.
                      It has twin structures on each side of the ship like the Daedalus class, but they are far thinner, and they contain sensors and other tech, unlike the Daedalus which has fighter bays.
                      A single launch bay is on the ventral side of the ship, running about half the length of the ship, having a slightly slanted door structure.

Propulsion:
                      One Standard Asgard Hyperdrive.
                      Four Ion drives act as the sublight engines.
                      Anti-gravity systems paired with lower ion thrusters allow for landing.

Power Source:
                      The ship is powered by twin Earth varying Naquada generators that send power each at certain intervals of overcharged power, but before critical mass is reached, the second generator is activated and power is acquired from the second generator. This allows for more overall power to the ship at any given time. The ship can be set to just run on both at full power in an emergency, but if they both reach critical they have to be either shut down, or ejected after a few more minutes of running.
                      Several small portable Naquada Mark I and II generators are on the ship in case of a loss of power. They are altogether sufficient for limited powering of the shields or hyperdrive. But can comfortably power most other systems including the transporters.
                      Each ship is also powered by a ZPM acquired (read scavenged) from several of the complexes overwhelmed by the Wraith 10,000 years ago. The ZPMs are each almost depleted, but have enough juice to allow for a rather lengthy (by earth engagements with the Wraith standards) period of use.
                      There are only 4 of these in this state; so no more than 4 ships can be built with this advantage.
                      One of these ZPMs is only used in the case that the generators were overloaded both together and shut down or ejected, the ship is under intense assault and requires more shield energy, or if the ship needs a quick hyperdrive boost. Any uses other than those would waste the limited energy without need.

Weaponry:
                      Anti-Fighter/light-anti ship weapons:
                      8 120mm on the dorsal surface.
                      6 120mm railguns on the ventral surface.
                      5 150 mm railguns on the port and 5 more on the starboard sides.
                      Main weapons:
                      4 120mm railguns on the stern.
                      2 full ship length 120mm coil guns with a 5 degree aiming ability. The guns can fire a standard 120mm trinium round at 16,000kph
                      2 1/3rd ship length variable rotation 15 degree 100mm coil guns with Naquada passive fission rounds.
                      The round is designed that on kinetic impact with a shield or hull, the forward section of the round is forced back and the round goes into nuclear fission causing a massive explosion.

Defenses:
                      A single Asgard shield generator/projector net, creates a standard Asgard shield bubble around the ship.
                      A secondary Ancient shield is capable of being powered. Several of these were salvaged from new small ships being constructed at the ship yards. They were incomplete and some were also. They were completed by mostly guesswork and Asgard assistance (provided for in exchange for the two most completed and least damaged units). The shields are inferior to most Ancient shields do to their incomplete and somewhat damaged nature. But also because they were not designed to be that advanced to begin with. They were designed to be simple and easily produced, but they still allow decent protection of the ship should the Asgard shields fail and overload.

Craft:
                      The ship can hold 8 F-302 fighters in disassembled storage. Or 3 in flight ready mode.
                      The ship can allow 4 to land when none are in the bay. The bay is designated as the main cargo bay and is usually filed with supplies that have to be beamed to other sections of the ship in case the bay needs to be used for flights. The ship can hold one Tel’tak shuttle, or three Puddle Jumpers.

Other:
                      The ship is equipped with ring transporters,
                      Standard Asgard beaming technology.
                      Standard retro-engineered Goa’uld crystalline computers.
                      Ancient inspired ZPM superconducting power conduits, these essentially turn most of the ship into a super conductor.

History and details:
                      The Theseus Class ship was designed when the US Government assigned Naval and Army engineers to work on a recently discovered Ancient construction depot in the Pegasus Galaxy. This construction depot was discovered by the Atlantis expedition nearly a year ago. It was the only other known Ancient base with a Gate capable of going between galaxies. Before its discovery, only the Atlantis gate was thought to be capable of this. Apparently the Wraith had attacked it and no one was left alive after the Battle. The Ancients had used some sort of biological agent (now undetectable) to kill themselves and the invading Wraith. The depot was littered with destroyed Ancient structures and factories. Several severely damaged examples of a then new class of cheap, easily produced Ancient warship were found. None were spaceworthy or even flyable. The complex was protected by several shields, which were powered by ZPMs. These shields apparently failed under an intense Wraith assault. Of a total of 10 ZPMs in the many mile long complex, 5 still contained some power (our forces set one up to act as a power source for the facility, it retained about 25% of its charge and was the only one capable of doing this, if the Wraith attack, it won’t last long under fire and it won’t be able to defend most of the complex with shields), three manufacturing plants remained largely intact, while two ship construction bunkers remained operational.
                      Thanks to a recently discovered ZPM in the Milky way, Earth has been sending large numbers of international forces to assist the Atlantis team. They set up a base on this planet and started salvaging what they could. They recovered many parts from the Ancient ships. Including several examples of a new cheap version of Ancient shield, far less powerful or advanced than other ones such as those on Atlantis and the Aurora Type ships, but more advanced than the Asgard shields. None were fully intact, and few had been finished to begin with. The Asgard by request set up a science post and garrison on the Planet to assist our forces.
                      The Asgard were able to retrofit the shields into effective versions, but far inferior to what they could have been.
                      The Naval designers at request of the National representatives (the thing with Wolsey) began design of a new class of combat dedicated warship capable of operating within the Pegasus galaxy full time against the Wraith. Their solution: The Theseus class.
                      4 ships were to be built in the initial run. Each taking merely two months to finish do to the impressive Ancient systems that allowed mostly automated construction.
                      The ships would require another two months of testing and final system installation before being ready for combat. So all five would be ready by years end, if they had enough personnel to crew them.
                      So untill a crew could be assembled for any ships after the first two, they would be mothballed untill said crew could be cleared, trained and sent to their new post. The first two ships would be crewed partially by designers and teams sent during construction. This new project will begin stretching the secret Stargate project very thin.
                      The Asgard installed their now standard improvements, as well as on each one of the sub-par Ancient-based shields as a secondary emergency shield (Ancient and Asgard shields use different projection methods, so they can not be operated in tandem, and doing so would drain all the ships power anyway. But both can be charged for use, and power can be transferred if the Asgard shield generator overloads. Overall the secondary shield is far weaker and less resilient do to its ad hoc nature, but it is useful.).
                      Each ship is also equipped with one of the six nearly depleted ZPMs to allow for emergency power in case of a loss of main power, or a need for emergency shield power, or a hyperdrive boost. The ZPMs have little energy left, but all have different amounts. On average one of the ZPMs will allow the ship 6 minutes of extended shield power, or a doubling of hyperspace speed by three times the speed for 10 minutes or two times the speed for twenty minutes.
                      The last advantage of the ships are the new coil guns.
                      Coil guns, unlike rail guns, have a far greater speed potential, and are able to be made to any length.
                      2 large calibre coil guns are set at the entire length of the ship, these allow a massive amount of force against a target.
                      These while effective, have a very limited range of motion, and tend to blow through a target with little mor effect. A more effective round if conceived would make this weapon drastically more effective.
                      2 other medium calibre coil guns are set at about a third of the length of the ship. These can fire with a far greater degree of rotation. Allowing greater ease of targeting. They use a new type of round that creates a Naquada fission reaction through a sudden kinetic impact causing the forwards section of the round to be forced into the rear section causing the atoms to ram into each other and split (similar in principle to the mechanism used on the Hiroshima[or Nagasaki, can’t remember] Bomb).
                      These rounds are stored individually in separate trinium armored cases to prevent damage to the ship in case of some strange detonation. This limits the amount of ammunition and the re-fire rate severely.

The ships are expected to be the first ships capable of standing head to head against a Wraith Cruiser, and with a sister ship, against a Wraith Hive ship.

So: Comments: Oppinions: Ideas to improve the ship:
                      Really nice ship, its smart and not fanwank. Yes you have used ZPM's but you have used them in a interesting way. Its like Each of these ships(the cheap anceint ones) was going to have a ZPM but they had to use them all up to defend themselves, leaving half a dozen 8-12% full ZPM which can provide a bit of power for a little while but not for along time. Very cool. I like it.
                      sigpic
                      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                      11000! green me

Comment

What is the size of a Tel'tak???

Comment

12mL 5mW 8mL is what i would go at as a geuss, its seems pretty reasonable but dont quote me
                          sigpic
                          11000! green me

Comment

OK thanks, am goign to intergrate one into my warrior class ship. well a small ship like it anyway.

Comment

Ok so iv desinged my first ship which needs to be chnaged a little to represent its present look. I think I may leave it for a bit. Im just now wondering on the next ship as, earth ships seem to have been done to death, anymore I think and we will either get into fanwank territory or rehashing previous good ideas. So is there any race ships that need a look at im thinking i may have a look at Furling ships, as since the tech has only been touched on loosly my imagination may be able to do abit more wild ?

Comment

Jaffa ships. New jaffa ship that are post goauld might be a cool ship to design, also earth ships havent been done to death, and trying to do furlign and ancient ships gets you in to fanwank territory, but if you really want to do furling ships then i might have to pull out the ones i have already done for Genesis They are really cool and we developed a whole range of technologies which went with the ships
                                sigpic
                                11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                                X