X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k folks I'm kinda new at this so don't be too harsh

Comment

Originally posted by TripH
      Zake, The Columbia is coming along awesomely. you need to teach me how to make "teh pimo" ships
      I finished it like..yesterday. And it isnt pimo.

Comment

Hi guys!
        I've been lurking around for a while now, and I read your posts about google SketchUp and tried to do something. I got hooked. =)
        So I made two capital ships and a small fighter; I will upload them into the Warehouse. I used the texture posted by ZakeD. Thanks a lot. =)

This is the link; but I have read that this site has problems with hotlinking, so this link must be copied and the space between freewebs.com/ and zygo14 erased.

http://www.freewebs.com/ zygo14/Spaceships.rar

I am having some difficulties; whenever I turn off the visible edges, white lines show up on the model. Any help on that would be appreciated.

The first ship is about 750m long. I made the turrets seperately and then pasted them on. The round thing on top of the bridge is a Diso ball of Mass destruction. =) It is suppoesed to be a shield generator. Or something.
        The tiny speck in the lower left on the first picture is a human. =)
        File names:capital ship no.1 a-c

The second one is about 180m long. It should probably be described as a fleet carrier. This was the first ship I made; it had several overhauls.
        File names:capital ship no.2 a-c

The third is a small space superiority air/spacecraft. the rockets are on top of the wings because I was too frustrated to place another pair under the wing.
        File names:fighter-a-c

Cheers.

Comment

HI! I tried to post before But i mucked something up.

Link to three ships I made using GoogleSketch in .rar archive. Erase the space between Zygo14 and freewebs.com/ .

Three ships; 1 capital/carrier 750m
          1 fleet carrier 180 m
          1 space/air superiority fighter

Thanks to ZakeD for the textures.

Comment

Spoiler:

Here's the basic hull of the Abydos. Does it look okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Zygo
              Hi guys!
              I've been lurking around for a while now, and I read your posts about google SketchUp and tried to do something. I got hooked. =)
              So I made two capital ships and a small fighter; I will upload them into the Warehouse. I used the texture posted by ZakeD. Thanks a lot. =)

This is the link; but I have read that this site has problems with hotlinking, so this link must be copied and the space between freewebs.com/ and zygo14 erased.

I am having some difficulties; whenever I turn off the visible edges, white lines show up on the model. Any help on that would be appreciated.

The first ship is about 750m long. I made the turrets seperately and then pasted them on. The round thing on top of the bridge is a Diso ball of Mass destruction. =) It is suppoesed to be a shield generator. Or something.
              The tiny speck in the lower left on the first picture is a human. =)
              File names:capital ship no.1 a-c

The second one is about 180m long. It should probably be described as a fleet carrier. This was the first ship I made; it had several overhauls.
              File names:capital ship no.2 a-c

The third is a small space superiority air/spacecraft. the rockets are on top of the wings because I was too frustrated to place another pair under the wing.
              File names:fighter-a-c

Cheers.
              Those ships are like..awesome. I like the first one. How long did it take you to make those?

Comment

Originally posted by ZakeD
                Spoiler:

Here's the basic hull of the Abydos. Does it look okay?
                More than okay, believe me. ^__^ Now, remember that it's two coil guns (the big cannons) are on top of the nose in a single, stealthy turret that's short enough that it doesn't obscure the bridge's view forward, but is arranged so that it has a good firing arc ahead. The wings pack four double-barrelled rain gun turrets, mirroring eachother (if you get the idea). There are two single-barrel rail guns on top of the boathouse (superstructure), one facing forward and one facing aft On the bottom of her hull are two additional, single-barrelled rail gun turrets that are contained in recesses in the hull, almost like little fox holes, that the turrets shoot out of. The range of fire for the dorsal rail guns is limited, but then so is the amount of space they need to cover. Overall, this gives the Abydos excellent coverage against incoming fighters and small ships right up to her shield barrier. Their coverage is optimized for engaging fighters some distance away from the cruiser, letting the ship act as a battlespace denial platform.

The vertical missile launchers are rectangular hatches that are arranged perpendicular to the ship (they "point inwards" towards the centerline of the hull). There are two lines of them, arranged on either side of that slightly raised central deck forward of the boathouse. There should be twenty-four hatches per line, for a total of forty-eight hatches, or 144 missiles.

The linear missile launcher modules? Don't bother. It'd just be overkill for the Abydos at this point.

The boathouse should have more windows, smaller than the one on the bridge naturally. And add in plates of various shapes and sizes all over the boathouse as the arrays for the AEGIS radar and others systems. Additional arrays placed on other parts of the ship will work well too, as well as a few antenna. All in all though, the hull should be rather sleek and pretty uniform. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
                  More than okay, believe me. ^__^ Now, remember that it's two coil guns (the big cannons) are on top of the nose in a single, stealthy turret that's short enough that it doesn't obscure the bridge's view forward, but is arranged so that it has a good firing arc ahead. The wings pack four double-barrelled rain gun turrets, mirroring eachother (if you get the idea). There are two single-barrel rail guns on top of the boathouse (superstructure), one facing forward and one facing aft On the bottom of her hull are two additional, single-barrelled rail gun turrets that are contained in recesses in the hull, almost like little fox holes, that the turrets shoot out of. The range of fire for the dorsal rail guns is limited, but then so is the amount of space they need to cover. Overall, this gives the Abydos excellent coverage against incoming fighters and small ships right up to her shield barrier. Their coverage is optimized for engaging fighters some distance away from the cruiser, letting the ship act as a battlespace denial platform.

The vertical missile launchers are rectangular hatches that are arranged perpendicular to the ship (they "point inwards" towards the centerline of the hull). There are two lines of them, arranged on either side of that slightly raised central deck forward of the boathouse. There should be twenty-four hatches per line, for a total of forty-eight hatches, or 144 missiles.

The linear missile launcher modules? Don't bother. It'd just be overkill for the Abydos at this point.

The boathouse should have more windows, smaller than the one on the bridge naturally. And add in plates of various shapes and sizes all over the boathouse as the arrays for the AEGIS radar and others systems. Additional arrays placed on other parts of the ship will work well too, as well as a few antenna. All in all though, the hull should be rather sleek and pretty uniform. Good luck!
                  Uhm..*dies*

Have you tried out google sketch yet? You'll probably want make the guns yourself. All the weapons I make are like..crappy and innacurate. The only ones I have made that were accurate were the rim-116 launcher thingers. Also, how big is one of those missile cells?

Oh, and I made this wallpaper thing.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Spoiler:

I made a comparison of the Columbia, Daedalus, Thor, and Abydos. I had to increase the size of Thor to 200 meters do to some miscalculations I made doing the hangars. The Daedalus size is based a size of 450 meters.
                    Last edited by ZakeD; 18 September 2006, 07:45 PM.

Comment

its really cool Zake, well done. im hoping to start doing a new design soon, i tried a fighter but the wings were really hard to get right. Might try to do something really complicated like atlantis
                      sigpic
                      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                      Stargate : Genesis |
                      Original Starship DesignThread
                      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                      11000! green me

Comment

Oh, and I made this wallpaper thing.
                        Spoiler:
                        I know it must be time consuming to create these models, but I was wondering why you don't make your ship's texture more realistic like the one in this picture (seeing as all it takes is changing the texture to give it that effect): http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/wal...0_1024x768.jpg
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, I don't really know where to find good textures.

Comment

How long did it take you to make those?
                            It took me a week for each ship, but I worked on them an hour per day.
                            I overhauled the second one several times.
                            The fighter took me aboiut 2 hours and a half + texturing.

Does anyone know how to help me with those white lines? They can be seen on the screens. If anyone want's to see the ships, I'll upload them.

cheers.

Comment

I found some good textures. If you go to the meshes section of scifimeshes and go to textures it has a texture pack with about 5 hull textures.

Everyones probably getting sick of seeing this, but here's a few more pictures of teh Columbia done with a different texture.

Spoiler:

I tried to make the engines look a little better.
                              Last edited by ZakeD; 19 September 2006, 04:52 AM.

Comment

This is a 3D model of the Prometheus that Freekzilla said he made:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...rometheus2.jpg

Maybe if you PM him, he can tell you how to get that realistic effect?

I really want to see the "Columbia" with a more realistic texture... I reckon it would look awesome.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X