This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alx View Post
    this is just simple sprite as im still experimenting with volume to get it to interact with the destiny mesh properly... any pointers there?

looks pretty good animated with just sprite tho and imo it kinda fits with the toony look of the ship but maybe thats just me
    Sprites only render a flat 2D image facing the camera, they are not 3-Dimensional like Volume is. I good example of this is that guy that starts out in SketchUp and no matter where you have the camera he's facing you. He looks 3D but he is only 2D. I'm thinking you need to have small particles, a lot of them, and the transparency amped up.
    sigpic
    ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
      Sprites only render a flat 2D image facing the camera, they are not 3-Dimensional like Volume is. I good example of this is that guy that starts out in SketchUp and no matter where you have the camera he's facing you. He looks 3D but he is only 2D. I'm thinking you need to have small particles, a lot of them, and the transparency amped up.
      oh you dont have to tell me that i already know
      however it works prtty good for stills.

and im trying to keep the render times down so the less particles the better for now but i need to rig the particles to interact with the mesh any pointers to a good setting? or am i over your head?

Comment

oh you dont have to tell me that i already know
        however it works prtty good for stills.

and im trying to keep the render times down so the less particles the better for now but i need to rig the particles to interact with the mesh any pointers to a good setting? or am i over your head?
        Bolded Text:

1. Ignorance Alx. You didn't state what you knew so how was I to know what you knew?

2. Thats a very blunt and rude way to ask me a question.

You say you want to have the particles interact with the ship right? Select your model in Objects and open the Properties Window. Under the Dynamics Tab select Add Dynamic and then a drop-down menu will appear. Select Collision and do not Calculate. Lightwave will create an invisible polygon on every outside face of your model and when a particle hits it it will bounce off accordingly.

Go to the Utilities Tab and in Plugins select Additional. Click FX Propety and the FX Property window will appear. Go to the the Interaction Tab and in the sub-drop-down menu titled Interaction select Bounce. You can further change the settings there to get what you want it to look like. Attached in an image of what it looks like with the Typhon.
        Attached Files
        sigpic
        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Bolded Text:

1. Ignorance Alx. You didn't state what you knew so how was I to know what you knew?

2. Thats a very blunt and rude way to ask me a question.

You say you want to have the particles interact with the ship right? Select your model in Objects and open the Properties Window. Under the Dynamics Tab select Add Dynamic and then a drop-down menu will appear. Select Collision and do not Calculate. Lightwave will create an invisible polygon on every outside face of your model and when a particle hits it it will bounce off accordingly.

Go to the Utilities Tab and in Plugins select Additional. Click FX Propety and the FX Property window will appear. Go to the the Interaction Tab and in the sub-drop-down menu titled Interaction select Bounce. You can further change the settings there to get what you want it to look like. Attached in an image of what it looks like with the Typhon.
          1. sorry bud i should have made that clear, anyway ive been through Bugzillaz tutes on the tube a few times so i have a fair understanding of the basic workings of things

2. Sorry didnt mean to offend you and i didnt know how much you knew of the inner workings of the particle properties as from my personal experience its easy to get lost in all those menus and settings and clearly you know a fair bit more then i do

and thanks for that ill give it a goo and see what i can come up with.

Comment

1. sorry bud i should have made that clear, anyway ive been through Bugzillaz tutes on the tube a few times so i have a fair understanding of the basic workings of things

2. Sorry didnt mean to offend you and i didnt know how much you knew of the inner workings of the particle properties as from my personal experience its easy to get lost in all those menus and settings and clearly you know a fair bit more then i do

and thanks for that ill give it a goo and see what i can come up with.
            I just emailed you the Essential Lightwave 3D 8. It's a PDF ebook that I've read through entirely look and back on now and then. Tell me what you think of it.
            Last edited by boberth2o; 09 April 2010, 04:46 PM.
            sigpic
            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

I just emailed you the Essential Lightwave 3D 8. It's a PDF ebook that I've read through entirely look and back on now and then. Tell me what you think of it.
              just looked thru it quickly and i think i will learn alot of things by reading it and experimeting so thanks for that!

Comment

just looked thru it quickly and i think i will learn alot of things by reading it and experimeting so thanks for that!
                Yeah it taught me pretty much everything I know. Figured it might help.
                sigpic
                ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Yeah it taught me pretty much everything I know. Figured it might help.
                  Thank you very much

Comment

Any chance someone could PM that PDF file?
                    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                      Any chance someone could PM that PDF file?
                      Sure, but you didn't get it from me eh?

Edit: PM me your email, the file is 23MB.
                      sigpic
                      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Sure, but you didn't get it from me eh?

Edit: PM me your email, the file is 23MB.
                        My e-mail's right under my location.
                        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                          My e-mail's right under my location.
                          Hotmail's attachment limit is 20MB. I get a failure notice when I send it to you. Another?
                          sigpic
                          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

here is the result of the explosions tute very basic and quck scenery but it gave me some much needed knowledge thanks again Bob!

Comment

Hotmail's attachment limit is 20MB. I get a failure notice when I send it to you. Another?
                              The Shame! AHkay, PMing.

sigpic

Comment

Well, this quite literally took my at least 5 hours to create so I really want to know what you think. It is a scene of the USAF Typhon using it's beam weapon to cut through a Wraith Cruiser. I didn't like how the Asgard Beams in the show just exploded on impact with the Hives so I made it more like the Asuran Beam cutting through the asteroid. For the 'shock and awe' effect I'm telling you this is all Lightwave rendered special effects. The beam is heating and cauterizing the ship effectively cutting it into two, there is a little gas escaping too. The only Photoshoping that was done is the stars, title and credits. Comments?
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic
                                ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Working...
                                X