No announcement yet.

Stargate: Ragnarok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

true and with less gravity they should be able to carry more as well..... so around how long till the next episode is out and if you need a beta reader i am here
    get the rep

Comment

Regarding the Fenrir weapons:

Each round is tiny, little more than a millimetre across, and is formed like a tiny dart out of trinium carbide. However, the guns are electromagnetic in function - like railguns (although technically these are coilguns), so no space is taken up in the magazine by cases full of explosive powder, there are only flechettes, tightly packed together.

Also, the magazines themselves are huge, running the length of the weapon - bear in mind how big the weapons are (they resemble medieval battle-axes or halberds) and how enormously strong the Fenrir are. Carrying several thousand rounds of ammo isn't inconceivable when each round is approximately this big:
      >-----

The US Army experimented with rifles firing groups of flechettes instead of bullets in the 1960s, and they have some favourable characteristics (and some unfavourable ones), so I've tried to base them on something real world whilst giving them a science fiction twist. Also I got sick of energy weapons!

The next part will be at least a few weeks away, although I'm working on it every day (even today!).

Thanks for reading it, and Merry Christmas.
      Last edited by Sealurk; 25 December 2008, 04:14 PM.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        Regarding the Fenrir weapons:

Each round is tiny, little more than a millimetre across, and is formed like a tiny dart out of trinium carbide. However, the guns are electromagnetic in function - like railguns (although technically these are coilguns), so no space is taken up in the magazine by cases full of explosive powder, there are only flechettes, tightly packed together.

Also, the magazines themselves are huge, running the length of the weapon - bear in mind how big the weapons are (they resemble medieval battle-axes or halberds) and how enormously strong the Fenrir are. Carrying several thousand rounds of ammo isn't inconceivable when each round is approximately this big: >-----
        yeah i have a few of them on my wall

The US Army experimented with rifles firing groups of flechettes instead of bullets in the 1960s, and they have some favourable characteristics (and some unfavourable ones), so I've tried to base them on something real world whilst giving them a science fiction twist. Also I got sick of energy weapons!

The next part will be at least a few weeks away, although I'm working on it every day (even today!).

Thanks for reading it, and Merry Christmas.
        now i understand and yeah i was getting sick of energy weapons to.... and i understand the few weeks wait the episodes are full of detail and huge so take your time
        get the rep

Comment

so when is the next episode out
          get the rep

Comment

Not sure yet, probably not for a few weeks I'm afraid. I'm writing it at the moment (literally), but it's not terribly far along. Also I often write more than one thing at a time, which can slow both projects down.

I expect the first draft will be complete in a couple of weeks, sooner if things go well, and maybe a week later it'll go to Womble and Crazy Tom for proofreading (assuming they're both still willing and able by that point). After that, well it depends when I get it back off them, how long it takes to make the changes and get it formatted properly for FF.net.

So probably end of the month, beginning of February. It might happen sooner, but probably not.

Either way, when it does go up on fanfiction.net, I'll post here to let everyone know.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Woot! I'm still down.

Comment

hey i am just keeping this thread alive and wondering when the next episode is coming out ( like a date )
                get the rep

Comment

Sorry, can't really say when because I don't know. I haven't got a lot going on in my life at the moment (to paraphrase Teal'c, I am indeed suitably unemployed. To not paraphrase Teal'c, I'm also the recipient of tactical nuclear headaches and the occasional electric shock, neither of which do much for my writing ability) so I'm writing a lot more than usual, but I can't guarantee a date.

I haven't even finalised the plot, and I don't like releasing a story a chapter at a time until I have the full thing waiting on my laptop, in case I come up with a subplot or early reference to insert.

Part 2 isn't coming as easily as Part 1 did, either. But it'll happen. Maybe a few weeks, if things go well. Longer if the Gods of Employment smile favourably on me.

In the meantime, if anybody has any ideas they don't mind sharing, or any thoughts on what they'd like to see more of, which characters are good and which need work etcetera, that can help. No promises that I'll use any of it, but it might help on the inspiration / motivation front.
                  sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Oooh! Some characters I'd like to see are Col. Carter with the Phoenix/Hammond and the Sun Tzu in action alongside after the Werewolves escape the field and build poweful warships. Evidently they fail and a ship is destroyed(any ship).

Then Earth find out these 'wolves have allies and are going to attack Earth. So then they perform a preemptive strike on them. They sadly fail.

But during the battle an Earth ship is somehow sent to another universe were the Weres have already taken over Earth and now control the galaxy.

There they find Dr. Elizabeth Weir, Aiden Ford, Col. Lorne, Zelenka and Amelia Banks!

With their help and a surviving Earth ragtag fleet they have to find a way back to their Universe and stop the Weres from destroying Earth. The only problem is that if they don't find a way home they are all desroyed by exotic particles and they only have a few hours befroe the Werewolves reach Earth.

At the same time the Chinese leak info about the Stargate to the public back on Earth, and riots have broken out. And by doing so, several groups hijack ships andmake use of them while other groups try and destroy Cheyenne Mountain...

I am surprised at myself! I made all this up in 7 mins on the spot! I really think it's a good idea to use if you neeed help or something. And I mentioned characters I'd like to see again. Although if you already have your own idea that's great too.

I'd like a review on this idea people. It may be short and it also may not have a resolution but I want to know what you think of the idea.

Spoiler:

Comment

i would like to see where your ideas are going first just because i like the style of writing and what he has done already
                      get the rep

Comment

I expect the first draft will be complete in a couple of weeks, sooner if things go well, and maybe a week later it'll go to Womble and Crazy Tom for proofreading (assuming they're both still willing and able by that point).
                        Womble is most definitely willing, and in a few days will be able. (I am returning to Israel on January 20, after that I'm at your service).

Ideas- I have loads. If you need someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to PM me anytime (e-mail is a bit difficult at the moment; I am yet to retrieve the password of my old account).

I think you have the general direction exactly right. 99% of Stargate fanfiction revolves around flashy starships and epic battles, which makes your kind of story a refreshing change. What I think you need to do now is focus on fleshing out the characters while also showing us a bit more of the Fenrir. For example, it'd be useful to give us a clue as for what exactly was the Fenrir's beef with the Asgard and what makes them such a threat for the Milky Way races. One of the ways to do it could be having the team take a Fenrir soldier hostage (perhaps a shot down pilot); it could certainly be more interesting than getting the same information from another forgotten Asgard notebook. It could also be interesting to have
                        Spoiler:
                        the rogue Asgard from The Lost Tribe
                        involved in one way or another.
                        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Just a quick and not too brilliant update, to keep everyone in the picture:

Due to a host of real life problems (for one, the UK just hit the highest level of unemployment since 1997, and I'm living in the county with just about the worst figures, yay!), I can honestly say I have absolutely no idea when - or even if - the next installment of Stargate Ragnarok will arrive. My previous estimate of end of January / early February is probably going to be very, very wide of the mark.

Long story short, I might have episode two ready in a couple of weeks, a couple of months...or not at all. Depends how things go. I'll do my level best to produce more, but there is no guarantee that Stargate Ragnarok will continue, and no fixed date.

So I just want to say thanks to everyone who read episode one and liked it enough to tell me, and especially thanks to those who were kind enough to proofread it, share their ideas and give me technical notes.

Sealurk
                          sigpic

Comment

Shame that their will not be anymore story for a while or never.

I read the first one and thought it was pretty good. I was look forward to the next to how the British expedition and the fight Fenir was going to go.

Comment

Well, this might be a bit premature, but I thought I'd better keep you all in the loop. You may be interested to know that Stargate Ragnarok Part 2 has just been delivered to the proofreaders. Actually I emailed it at 2.30am, so it's anybody's guess if I actually sent it, let alone to the right people, but hey - it's the thought that counts...

If all goes well (somewhere a god is laughing...) it should be posted on FanFiction.net relatively soon. Assuming it doesn't need any huge rewrites, it will be substantially longer than Part 1, "Veiled Legacy".

EDIT: One last thing - from now on, I won't be predicting likely dates for new parts to be written or published, because I have other writing projects besides SGR and Stargate fanfiction entirely that I have neglected for far too long, not to mention a lot of real life things to deal with before I sit down at the keyboard. So SGR Part 3, while likely to happen, could well be many, many months away.

Then again I might come up with a brilliant idea and churn it out over the course of a weekend. The point is I have no idea when the next mission for the Ragnarok team will take place. It'll happen when it happens.
                              Last edited by Sealurk; 25 April 2009, 04:32 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Well, this might be a bit premature, but I thought I'd better keep you all in the loop. You may be interested to know that Stargate Ragnarok Part 2 has just been delivered to the proofreaders. Actually I emailed it at 2.30am, so it's anybody's guess if I actually sent it, let alone to the right people, but hey - it's the thought that counts...
                                Well, I for one got it. Read it today at work, but I'll need a second read for proper troubleshooting; I can never catch all the little grammar/spelling/style things on the first try, especially when the story is good.

I'll do my best to mail it back with the comments and fixes tomorrow night, Monday afternoon at the very latest.
                                If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Working...
                                X