This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fems View Post
    Eh... I don't recall the specific ep, I pulled that one from her bio page. Once upon a time I came across it, but I honestly don't recall anymore which episode it was. If I do, I'll let you know.
    Thanks! After I gave it more thought: the 'coffee' scene in 'Urgo' seemed to indicate they were all drinking the coffee black.
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Her personnel file (prop cannon) says December 29, 1968 in Entity but for some reason Orlin gives her an emerald birthstone which apparently suggests her birthday is in May and she doesn't say otherwise (Ascension).
      Originally posted by USS Thor View Post
      thanks fem, ill have to go with december but i appreciate the help
      And I can give all sorts of reasons why 1968 makes her a little too young -- genius or not -- to have accomplished all the things she supposedly accomplished prior to our first seeing her in COTG, but if you really want to know, PM either me or SaraBahama (we researched this together). We have a bio for her that's pretty well fleshed-out from birth to her first episode.

Oh, and her Lexicon entry on the RDA site says this:
      Her birthplace and exact birthdate are unspecified, however she celebrates her birthday in May.
      So even there, the waters are muddy, and the Lexicon is usually a pretty good source.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Thanks, but I already have one myself (from little Sam to Colonel Carter, commander of the Hammond). Still, I'd rather work with a date of birth given (be it prop canon or not) than none. The same could be argued for Jack's date of birth (as well as his name), because that's been contradicted throughout the show too. I just pick one that I find fits best with what I have in mind.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
          And I can give all sorts of reasons why 1968 makes her a little too young -- genius or not -- to have accomplished all the things she supposedly accomplished prior to our first seeing her in COTG, but if you really want to know, PM either me or SaraBahama (we researched this together). We have a bio for her that's pretty well fleshed-out from birth to her first episode.
          Craziest thing...I was just emailing you the final draft on that! *snort*
          sigpic
          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Thanks, but I already have one myself (from little Sam to Colonel Carter, commander of the Hammond). Still, I'd rather work with a date of birth given (be it prop canon or not) than none. The same could be argued for Jack's date of birth (as well as his name), because that's been contradicted throughout the show too. I just pick one that I find fits best with what I have in mind.
            My offer was actually directed to Thor rather than to you, since I already know that you work the way you work. (It's the same way I do, except that what fits for me is different from what fits for you, since I'm working directly with the real-world USAF requirements and I think you're more along the lines of the somewhat fluid timeline and requirements the show's writers seemed to prefer. It's fairly clear from the show that their USAF is a somewhat AU version from our own world's. That said, there's still no way that Jack could be born in '57 and have served in Vietnam, especially if he was also going to graduate from the Academy, let alone graduating from the Academy in 1974 at all, as is listed on his diploma. Either one would mean he'd have had to be in uniform at the age of 13!)

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
            Craziest thing...I was just emailing you the final draft on that! *snort*
            Great minds?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

thanks everyone
              sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ussthor

Comment

Oh, and her Lexicon entry on the RDA site says this:

Her birthplace and exact birthdate are unspecified, however she celebrates her birthday in May.
                So even there, the waters are muddy, and the Lexicon is usually a pretty good source.
                That doesn't make it correct since all of this is open to interpretation. You (meaning a general "you") can take what's onscreen or in a Lexicon to mean whatever you want it to mean. The lexicon entry on RDA's site is no more accurate than GW's omnipedia or another site (Arduinna's stargate), since Kate likely made that assumption based on the stuff in "Ascension". Everything on his site was put together by a friend of his, and she's done a amazing job, but it still doesn't make all of it accurate.

And you can make any sort of list you want for when Sam was born, but it doesn't make it accurate. Methinks it is more for your own personal satisfaction than anything else.

As to the emerald made by Orlin in Ascension, it could just as easily have been the writers thinking it was way cooler for him to make an emerald (for May) than a Blue Topaz or a turquoise (for December).

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  And you can make any sort of list you want for when Sam was born, but it doesn't make it accurate. Methinks it is more for your own personal satisfaction than anything else.
                  That's why I did it Personal satisfaction -because I'm...er...OCD...

*and I did it for 1965 and 1968 DOB -just to see if I could, to see if everything would fit.*
                  sigpic
                  sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

My offer was actually directed to Thor rather than to you, since I already know that you work the way you work. (It's the same way I do, except that what fits for me is different from what fits for you, since I'm working directly with the real-world USAF requirements and I think you're more along the lines of the somewhat fluid timeline and requirements the show's writers seemed to prefer. It's fairly clear from the show that their USAF is a somewhat AU version from our own world's. That said, there's still no way that Jack could be born in '57 and have served in Vietnam, especially if he was also going to graduate from the Academy, let alone graduating from the Academy in 1974 at all, as is listed on his diploma. Either one would mean he'd have had to be in uniform at the age of 13!)
                    I know you once mentioned (somewhere here on GW) that Sam couldn't have joined the Academy at the time she supposedly did (if she's from '68) because of different rules back then at the Academy, IIRC. But in that case I assume the writers worked from what is possible these days (or in '96 at least) instead of checking history to see if that was possible back then.

As for Jack's age and medals there are simply too many inconsistencies; one time he's wearing the Vietnam service medal and other times it's conspicuously absent on his uniform. Then there's the remark about his age in Brief Candle or him supposedly being from 1952. I prefer the latter, because it's closer to RDA's actual age and it just makes more sense because of his remarks about 1969/the seventies.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    That doesn't make it correct since all of this is open to interpretation. You (meaning a general "you") can take what's onscreen or in a Lexicon to mean whatever you want it to mean. The lexicon entry on RDA's site is no more accurate than GW's omnipedia or another site (Arduinna's stargate), since Kate likely made that assumption based on the stuff in "Ascension". Everything on his site was put together by a friend of his, and she's done a amazing job, but it still doesn't make all of it accurate.

As to the emerald made by Orlin in Ascension, it could just as easily have been the writers thinking it was way cooler for him to make an emerald (for May) than a Blue Topaz or a turquoise (for December).

Ritter was actually often in contact with the show's producers etc and often asked them for information for the lexicon. Brad Wright said he sees her lexicon as the bible, so that's probably more accurate than a wikipedia or omnipedia made by fans from what they see or deduce from the screen (or RPG's/novels).

And yes, I also made the list for my personal satisfaction and so I can use it consistently for my fics.

Personally I think a blue topaz or turquoise would have been much cooler. The color suits her better.
                    Last edited by fems; 27 November 2011, 02:07 PM.
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Great minds?
                      ...or "fools rarely differ..."
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I don't recall saying that something being on the Lexicon made it "accurate". I just pointed out that even a site accepted as being fairly comprehensive and accurate is muddy on this point. I think that taken together, NONE of the various sites have all the answers to most of the Stargate questions, either individually or taken together. Even the show's own writers couldn't agree on some things.

The timeline that Sara and I created for Sam, along with the one I created for Jack, were done for the satisfaction of resolving a nagging annoyance at the places where canon A) conflicts with itself and B) conflicts with what is possible in a real-world timeline. Since SG is set in a world intended to be very much like our own reality, the places where its timeline didn't mesh with our reality always bothered me. When I began writing SG fanfic, it bothered me even more because I needed a timeline that worked, since my story series references a number of events in the characters' lives that actually occurred historically in our own reality. Hence the need for a Jack timeline that doesn't have him in two places at once, neither of which are places he should be when he's of the age to be in the 8th grade. And hence the need for a Sam timeline that gives her time to complete her Ph.D, work on Project Giza for two years prior to COTG, and still manage to log 100 hours in enemy airspace during the Persian Gulf War, all after graduating from the Air Force Academy, and without postulating that she somehow managed to be at the Pentagon working on the Stargate dialing program and flying aircraft in the Middle East simultaneously.

Personal satisfaction? Youbetcha. I can't stand it when things don't add up or make sense, and finding a way to circumvent that is immensely satisfying!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Don't forget her year studying nanotechnology and work in genetics with Dr. Harlow between her PhD and work on the gate
                          On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Oh, that's true too! My, she really was a busy gal, wasn't she?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Don't forget her year studying nanotechnology and work in genetics with Dr. Harlow between her PhD and work on the gate
                              I did forget that until I went to the link you posted earlier! I forgot about the conversation with Dr. Harlow in 'Bane'.

Where does the info on the year studying nanotechnology come from? 'Prodigy'? I'm just not coming up with the link/ep/info at all on that...would appreciate help!!

Oh, that's true too! My, she really was a busy gal, wasn't she?
                              I think they gave her almost too much stuff to cram into a life (regardless of which DOB you go with). SF -I added a note to our timeline about Dr. Harlow after I read the link that fems posted. It should be in the email I sent you. I didn't account for the nanotech stuff yet, though...
                              sigpic
                              sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

any other websites for info other then here,lexicon,stargate wikia?
                                sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ussthor

Comment

Working...
                                X