This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USS Thor View Post
    any other websites for info other then here,lexicon,stargate wikia?
    I use those you mentioned, but I also find what eps the facts I'm looking at come from and skim over the transcripts for that particular ep. I also highly recommend watching or rewatching the eps -you absorb a lot of details that way (I'm finding that out first-hand).
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

i'm been watching stargate over and over on netflix, i need to invest in the whole dvds from sg-1 i have all of sga and none of sgu
      sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ussthor

Comment

And the Stargate Wikia is probably the least-accurate of the best-known SG websites, at least as far as I can tell. It isn't inaccurate on everything, but it does seem to draw a large amount of its material from the RPG rather than from the actual show.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

i'm been watching stargate over and over on netflix, i need to invest in the whole dvds from sg-1 i have all of sga and none of sgu
          Sounds like me -LOL. I sent my hubs the link to where they're selling the full series in a boxed set as a Christmas present hint!! (but I have NO SGA/SGU either)
          sigpic
          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

i've heard the sg-1 box set is bad, the discs get scratched easy and right now the individual seasons are cheaper at amazon
            sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ussthor

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
              And the Stargate Wikia is probably the least-accurate of the best-known SG websites, at least as far as I can tell. It isn't inaccurate on everything, but it does seem to draw a large amount of its material from the RPG rather than from the actual show.
              It's not so bad if you know the show and can see the discrepancies. I tend to be skeptical of all compilations -I always want to see references to exactly what eps they draw their info from -then I go an look at the transcripts to confirm (if it is a new fact to me).
              sigpic
              sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

i've heard the sg-1 box set is bad, the discs get scratched easy and right now the individual seasons are cheaper at amazon
                Really? Crap! *off to send new link to hubs*

I've heard that there are several versions of CotG out there -one has edited out the briefing room comments by Sam about 'reproductive organs' as well as the nude scene of Sha're (sp?). While I can do without the nudity, I rather enjoy Sam's saucy remark.
                sigpic
                sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

SaraBahama, it's from Brief Candle:

Spoiler:

FRAISER
                  Well, you're talking nanotechnology!
                  [Carter nods.]

DANIEL
                  (on PA)
                  You know anything about that?

FRAISER
                  No.
                  (she sighs)

CARTER
                  Yes! When I was at the Pentagon, I worked for a year with a group that studied nanotechnology. We were looking at it for a lot of different uses; one of them was medicine. Creating artificial immune systems, repairing individual cells…even manipulating DNA to stop the aging process.

I mainly use the lexicon, GW, Solutions and if all else fails the wikia.

The lexicon in particular comes in handy because it links a lot of stuff together, is easy to use, has a lot of (canonical) information as well as an episode guide. The latter I find rather useful because it has a summary, notes of interest (the important stuff that's mentioned in the ep), memorable remarks and keeps records of injuries, cultural references and (nick) names per episode.

ETA:

For the collections it depends on which one you have; the slimline cases (which I have) don't scratch at all and don't take up a lot of space either. But it does have the dreaded Final Cut instead of the original pilot...
                  Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post

Spoiler:

FRAISER
                    [Carter nods.]

DANIEL
                    (on PA)

FRAISER
                    No.
                    (she sighs)

CARTER
                    Yes! When I was at the Pentagon, I worked for a year with a group that studied nanotechnology. We were looking at it for a lot of different uses; one of them was medicine. Creating artificial immune systems, repairing individual cells…even manipulating DNA to stop the aging process.
                    Thanks, fems! Well...crap. Off to edit my timeline...AGAIN! (...OCD...remember...I mentioned this before...)
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Don't forget her year studying nanotechnology and work in genetics with Dr. Harlow between her PhD and work on the gate
                      Care to speculate how or if that would be linked to her area of study in 'quantum mechanics'? I'm out of my depth speculating on that.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Spoiler:

FRAISER
                        [Carter nods.]

DANIEL
                        (on PA)

FRAISER
                        No.
                        (she sighs)

CARTER
                        Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                        Care to speculate how or if that would be linked to her area of study in 'quantum mechanics'? I'm out of my depth speculating on that.
                        I just had a thought: "manipulating DNA" -it's possible this is where her contact with Dr. Timothy Harlow occured, as his area of expertise is genetics and DNA...
                        sigpic
                        sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

That makes sense...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I had heard about the easily scratched discs in the box set. The fault lies in the fold-out disc holders. Sometimes the discs come loose from their slots and in moving around rub against the rims of the other discs and that is what scratches them. My work around was to buy two 32 disc wallets the kind with a footprint just little bigger than a CD jewel case. The two wallets fit in the box just nicely, the discs are held individually and don't move around and don't get scratched.

The new package individual season sets retail for US$40 each. The box set retails for US$200. Right this moment on Amazon.com the box set is US$125 and the individual season sets are US$12 with season 10 US$20. Price wise from Amazon it makes very difference whether you buy the box set or individual season sets.

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                            Really? Crap! *off to send new link to hubs*

I've heard that there are several versions of CotG out there -one has edited out the briefing room comments by Sam about 'reproductive organs' as well as the nude scene of Sha're (sp?). While I can do without the nudity, I rather enjoy Sam's saucy remark.
                            As far as I know the box set is uncut.
                            No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                            It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Sorry SaraBahama, it was way past my bedtime... to work with any kind of genetics and the knowledge Sam seems to have of basic medicine and biology would most likely require a degree in (molecular) biology/medicine/biotechnology.

Have you included her undergrad psych course (Fire and Water) too?
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Sorry SaraBahama, it was way past my bedtime... to work with any kind of genetics and the knowledge Sam seems to have of basic medicine and biology would most likely require a degree in (molecular) biology/medicine/biotechnology.
                                Not really. A person could acquire much of that same knowledge simply by being exposed to enough of it, without the fuss of obtaining a degree in it. If her knowledge in other fields made her useful to a group that was working with nanotech biotech, then she'd have picked up the medical knowledge related to that particular field in the course of the work she did with that group. Basic medical and biological knowledge could come from any number of sources, from military training to undergraduate coursework. (Hell, I've got a pretty good body of medical knowledge, and I don't even have a bachelor's degree. I just had enough interest to do some reading, and I did work for a time as the secretary of the molecular biology department at a major university's medical school, which put me in contact with information the general public might never encounter, but still....)

Have you included her undergrad psych course (Fire and Water) too?
                                The undergrad psych course would roll right in with the rest of her undergrad work, which was all taken at the Academy, so I don't think anything special needs to be mentioned about that. It would fit right in with all the other courses she took at the Academy that aren't mentioned individually.
                                Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 28 November 2011, 06:16 AM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X