Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Morning WooHoos

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
    Soooo...probably stretching this, topic wise...but as it's Brad's work, I guess it sort of qualifies....

GW Twttered some comments about an advanced viewing of CotG Final Cut...thought you all might be interested. And as I don't go, um, to other threads any more, thought I'd share here.

Quotes from GW Twitter:

Spoiler:
    Very interesting changes. Some good, some I'm still digesting

"Just because my reproductive organs are on the inside .." The line is GONE! Thank the Brads.

COTG demonstrates how the same product can be significantly improved by a better editing job. Pace and story progression are much better.

New visual FX are great, and help make the film feel more like the TV series than the movie.

Continuity issues are improved, including that weird ship that dropped off the Goa'uld at the gate, never to be seen again

Joel Goldsmith's re-score is excellent. Also helps it to feel more like the TV series, and more mature as a film.

As previously announced, many (all?) of Teal'c's lines have been ADR-replaced. This version is a noticeable improvement.

Now to listen to the audio commentary with Brad Wright and RDA ...
    Thanks for that APA

I'm still of the view that it should have been left alone, and I won't be buying it.

I was just going to say I wonder which brave soul will take that over to the S/J thread, when..............

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
    Did you guys go north or south?

I like that song as well...

Thanks APA, I'm going to cross post that to the Shipper thread if that's okay
    Spoiler:
    Err...I can't believe that line is gone, er!!!!! *mumbles about stupid sexist males who can't take famine talk* that's so wrong that they took that out!!!....Does that mean the "I like woman" is gone as well?!
    Oooooooh! There's going to be a lot of indignant female reaction over there today

Comment

Soooo...probably stretching this, topic wise...but as it's Brad's work, I guess it sort of qualifies....

GW Twttered some comments about an advanced viewing of CotG Final Cut...thought you all might be interested. And as I don't go, um, to other threads any more, thought I'd share here.

Quotes from GW Twitter:

Spoiler:
      Very interesting changes. Some good, some I'm still digesting

"Just because my reproductive organs are on the inside .." The line is GONE! Thank the Brads.

COTG demonstrates how the same product can be significantly improved by a better editing job. Pace and story progression are much better.

New visual FX are great, and help make the film feel more like the TV series than the movie.

Continuity issues are improved, including that weird ship that dropped off the Goa'uld at the gate, never to be seen again

Joel Goldsmith's re-score is excellent. Also helps it to feel more like the TV series, and more mature as a film.

As previously announced, many (all?) of Teal'c's lines have been ADR-replaced. This version is a noticeable improvement.

Now to listen to the audio commentary with Brad Wright and RDA ...
      Noooooooo!!!!!

I'm depressed now.

Seriously. It might have not been the greatest line ever, but it was Stargate history. Without it, the Moebius joke is worthless. It's just.... not right... *grumbles*
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
        Noooooooo!!!!!

I'm depressed now.

Seriously. It might have not been the greatest line ever, but it was Stargate history. Without it, the Moebius joke is worthless. It's just.... not right... *grumbles*
        Which is exactly why I didn't agree with it being redone

I have the greatest respect for Brad, and I undestand that looking back at CotG there are parts that wood make him squirm, but I still feel that remaking it was unnecessary. If nothing else, it stands in history to show just how far the Stargate franchise and all it's contributors have come.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post

I have the greatest respect for Brad, and I undestand that looking back at CotG there are parts that wood make him squirm, but I still feel that remaking it was unnecessary. If nothing else, it stands in history to show just how far the Stargate franchise and all it's contributors have come.

*goes off to find the S1 DVDs and watch it as it should be*
          sigpic

Comment

While I sort of agree (and I do agree with the "it ain't broke" mentality there... hmm, did I use the term "mentality when referring to Jumble? ) I also think it's an interesting experiment. You know, I think someone compared it to redoing over your first artwork or your first video or your first fanfic. You probably cringe a bit when you see/read it but, just because it is what it is, doens't mean you can't do it over to compare and contrast and see how amazingly you've improved.
            It's not like they're asking us to send our disks with the original version of COTG and they're going to scrap them and reissue the new "improved" one and wipe the old version out from existence. I might be slightly more miffed if they start releasing box sets with just the newer version on (a la Star Wars where you can't get the pre-futzed versions now and why I'm gratefully holding on to my VHS for dear life).
            All the while we still have a choice to see/buy either version we can all exercise our rights as we see fit which is great.

In general though, not relating to the above but related to COTG recut, there's a lot of negativity about some of the specifics: *this* scene or *that* line being done over or removed etc.
            If you are of a mind that you want to see COTG recut I think you just need to see (borrow it or rent it if you won't comit to buying) it and make a judgement on what you see rather than working yourself up into not liking things because of what you have heard or read about them. You may like it; you may hate it but at least it will be your opinion based on first hand experience... and if you hate it you need never ever let it darken your DVD player again.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
              While I sort of agree (and I do agree with the "it ain't broke" mentality there... hmm, did I use the term "mentality when referring to Jumble? ) I also think it's an interesting experiment. You know, I think someone compared it to redoing over your first artwork or your first video or your first fanfic. You probably cringe a bit when you see/read it but, just because it is what it is, doens't mean you can't do it over to compare and contrast and see how amazingly you've improved.
              Ah but you see, I don't ever do that. I wood consider it a total waste of my time, since I can now do so much better and I prefer to apply my skills to new things

Apart from that, redoing old artwork, vids, whatever is hardly the same thing since nobody wood be paying to see it

It's not like they're asking us to send our disks with the original version of COTG and they're going to scrap them and reissue the new "improved" one and wipe the old version out from existence. I might be slightly more miffed if they start releasing box sets with just the newer version on (a la Star Wars where you can't get the pre-futzed versions now and why I'm gratefully holding on to my VHS for dear life).
              All the while we still have a choice to see/buy either version we can all exercise our rights as we see fit which is great.

In general though, not relating to the above but related to COTG recut, there's a lot of negativity about some of the specifics: *this* scene or *that* line being done over or removed etc.
              If you are of a mind that you want to see COTG recut I think you just need to see (borrow it or rent it if you won't comit to buying) it and make a judgement on what you see rather than working yourself up into not liking things because of what you have heard or read about them. You may like it; you may hate it but at least it will be your opinion based on first hand experience... and if you hate it you need never ever let it darken your DVD player again.
              Absolutely. And I personally won't be buying it and don't really give a monkey's what it's like. I was simply saying what I thought because that's what we're here for

Comment

I'm gonna agree with Jumble on that. ^

Honestly as much as I would like to believe that the quality of the art that's being made is on everyone's mind, I really can't. IMO this is nothing more than milking the franchise for all it's worth. Why did MGM push this project instead of focusing on the new SG1 and Atlantis movies? Cut a scene there, change a line here so they can sell it as a new version, get RDA to do a commentary and with min input they get max profit. I understand it's business, I really do, but it doesn't mean I like it.
                sigpic

Comment

Honestly as much as I would like to believe that the quality of the art that's being made is on everyone's mind, I really can't. IMO this is nothing more than milking the franchise for all it's worth. Why did MGM push this project instead of focusing on the new SG1 and Atlantis movies? Cut a scene there, change a line here so they can sell it as a new version, get RDA to do a commentary and with min input they get max profit. I understand it's business, I really do, but it doesn't mean I like it.
                  My concern is that if it doesn't do well, MGM might take that as a sign that the slump in DVD sales is still an issue regarding the SG1-3 and SGA movies, thereby discouraging them from going ahead

And frankly, I have major doubts as to whether RDA's commentary will meet anyone's expectations. He's never done it before, and I'm pretty sure there's a good reason for that.

Comment

My concern is that if it doesn't do well, MGM might take that as a sign that the slump in DVD sales is still an issue regarding the SG1-3 and SGA movies, thereby discouraging them from going ahead
                    I wouldn't be surprised. (sarcasm alert) 'Cause you know... if people don't wanna buy an old product in a new package, they wouldn't wanna buy a new product either.

Altho' one less then 100% successful release really shouldn't decide the future of the franchise. I mean look at AoT and Continuum. AoT barely made a dent in sales and was mostly a general let down, while Continuum which was released almost a year later became one of the most selling DVDs on Amazon that year.
                    sigpic

Comment

And frankly, I have major doubts as to whether RDA's commentary will meet anyone's expectations. He's never done it before, and I'm pretty sure there's a good reason for that.
                      I think he'll probably be funny... he does funny well. How much that's gonna work as a commentary I can't comment on.

If AT did the commentary I might have considered buying it. But that's not really a surprise. I did watch 'Dancing trees' several times because she was in it, after all.
                      sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised. (sarcasm alert) 'Cause you know... if people don't wanna buy an old product in a new package, they wouldn't wanna buy a new product either.

Altho' one less then 100% successful release really shouldn't decide the future of the franchise. I mean look at AoT and Continuum. AoT barely made a dent in sales and was mostly a general let down, while Continuum which was released almost a year later became one of the most selling DVDs on Amazon that year.
                        Very true, and hopefully they will see that

I think he'll probably be funny... he does funny well. How much that's gonna work as a commentary I can't comment on.

If AT did the commentary I might have considered buying it. But that's not really a surprise. I did watch 'Dancing trees' several times because she was in it, after all.
                        I'm not sure just funny is enough, like you say, to work as a commentary. Martin's commentaries are always funny, especially if Amanda's there, but it's all the other information that he puts in that makes it worth listening to IMO. plus of course, in my case, it's just enough that his voice is there I'm sure Brad's input will be good to hear, especially if he's explaining what was changed, how it was changed and why, but I'm not sure RDA will even remember making the original

Tbh, I don't think it's worth worrying about until some reliable informatiion is forthcoming. As far as I can make out, the person spreading this stuff could be anyone, and may not even have seen it for all we know

Time to lighten the mood..........

*sigh* That's better A couple of Martin smiles always put my world to rights

Comment

Actually, the Twitter comes right from Darren, who had an advance copy of the DVD and was watching it for his upcoming review on GW, so I think it's reliable.

I was going to add my two cents, but I think it would further take the thread off topic.
                          sigpic

Comment

Actually, the Twitter comes right from Darren, who had an advance copy of the DVD and was watching it for his upcoming review on GW, so I think it's reliable.

I was going to add my two cents, but I think it would further take the thread off topic.
                            Thanks APA, I couldn't see anywhere that that was stated, and the link that was given was wrong.

I guess that settles it then

Not so far off topic, there's very little that is on here

Comment

Thanks APA, I couldn't see anywhere that that was stated, and the link that was given was wrong.

I guess that settles it then

Not so far off topic, there's very little that is on here
                              My bad. I should have stated it was from Darren right off. And did I give a link?
                              sigpic

Comment

You see that's my concern. there's a lot of people being very vocal about how they won't buy it specifically because of x y or z rumoured changes and I just think that dents confidence in the franchise altogether. It shouldn't, no, but it does.

...Although if you don't want to see it because you're not much interested, I can understand that. I'm not terribly interested tbh. I will probably see it at some point for completeness sake and I may buy it depending on whether I have spare cash and it's cheap enough and I feel like it etc. etc. etc. I'm not married to the idea of owning it and won't be heartbroken if I don't see it and I won't be upset over anythign they've changed.

Oh yes I completely agree - it's a totally commercial venture. A cheap and cheerful way to make money fast and easy from die hard fans (because there are those who will get it regardless because they are fans). I can't say I blame them but I worry about the impact its sales (or not) will have on the movie franchise. If it's not a commercial success, we may have a problem where the movies are concerned.

You cynic! But again I agree.

You know in this day and age, things have to be instant hits to gaurantee they have any future. Well, instant hits or cheap to make or both.
                                I reckon one reason Sanctuary got green lighted for S2 is because it's a lot cheaper to make than most series out there (I've seen more heavily hyped and funded shows with larger audiences that have been promising too and they have been pulled, sometimes before a season has finished). That's no disrespect to Sanctuary because it is good excellent and deserves to be made IMO but it's rare nopwadays that something has a chance to become good rather than start out good. When I think back to all the most successful and long running series I was a fan of, nearly all of them were sleepers with strictly limited following and slightly ropey storylines in their early years - X Files being a case in point. if that were made today it wood barely get past its first season!
                                It's sad that TV (and music and life in general) has become so fast and disposable that things don't have an opportunity to grow and evolve any more. Gah, have you seen the way most new shows deal with the UST between two characters? Most of them it's forced and instant and there's no tension, or slow burn or build up. My two biggest ships (Sam/Jack and Mulder/Scully) were both years in the making... that's the way it should be done.

*grumbles about getting old*

P.S. Aaah Martin.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X