Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mines pretty uninteresting too, wish I could've been a bit more imaginative.

Anyhoo My name before I got married was just plain old Richard Joy and all my life I have hated my surname.

well then I met a beautiful woman from Ghana west africa at the shop where we both worked and hey presto 4 years on we got married.

As would be the norm she would've taken my name after we married but I wasn't too keen on lumbering her with it and she wasn't too keen either so we decided to take each others names and double-barreled. so I became

Richard Asare-Joy

I prefer it and hence the username RAJ. I also get called that by family and friends and work colleagues once they realised what my initails were. they all think it's a bit of fun, plus it confuses a lot of people as they automatically assume that I'm of Indian persuasion and get quite a shock when they realise I'm white.

BTW, we've now been married almost 11 years have two fantastic kids and it's still as good if not better than the day we met.
    Hammond "Colonel, General Chekov thinks that due to our arrangement with the Russian government a russian soldier be assigned to SG1"

O'Neill "Over my rotting corpse Sir" *pauses* "Oh did I say that out loud"

Hammond "I did say that I would discuss it with you and that you would give the matter some careful consideration"

O'Neill "Yes I'm sure I would, but I would still probably say bite me"

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins
      Mine is the most unimaginative of all. I wanted something simple, easy to remember, and one that would be work on other forums besides a Stargate one. My cat's names are Klancie and Higgins, so Kl + iggins and we have Kliggins.
      It's not so unimaginative... any linguist would love it - the term for what you did is blending, that is taking two words, clipping them both and creating a neologism (new word). For some reason, I associated "klaxons" right away, but that's just because it starts with the same letters, I guess.

Originally posted by RAJ
      BTW, we've now been married almost 11 years have two fantastic kids and it's still as good if not better than the day we met.
      A heart-warming story. You're a lucky guy.

Comment

what else can I say, RA is awesome, To bad O'Neill Killed him

Comment

my user name is basicly a mix of my nick names

mishy - short of michelle

and mo - my initials

you might know my friend sueKay, we have written a fafiction together and for that we came up with a colaboration of our names and thus su_mo was born hee hee

Comment

My username comes from the color of my hair.

Comment

My username comes from my addiction to coffee - I used to have a nickname for 'The West Wing' chatrooms, "JoshsCoffeeGirl". Still love Josh, still love coffee, so I decided to keep it, at least the coffee part. ;-)

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
              it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
              It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
              And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeGirl
                My username comes from my addiction to coffee -
                You should've called yourself "Daniel Jackson"!

Comment

I would have, but that one was taken! *grin*

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
                  it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
                  It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
                  And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Wow, cant believe i've not noticed such an interesting thread before.

Well, i remember i've heard the word Veneticus somewhere. Cant remember though where when etc etc. Does anybody perhaps knows??
                    Anyway, i decided to use it, since i've never seen somebody using it before. I wanted my names and emails original. And because i thought veneticus was a quiet boring i added one more S to it
                    "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

I live in MN and my is a native MN-er and has hated the attention this part of the country receives since Fargo came out....my other screen names are all sports related since i'm mostly on sports boards, but when i came here i felt it wasn't appropariate.....

after lurking for a while i decided on this....getting a kick that O'Neill is written to have come from MN and is always trying to go fishing in MN and occasionally drops a 'yaa you betcha' into the mix.
                      Thanks!
                      Jordan

my page
                      My LJ
                      From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by trinity1013
                        Okay, once again, ibwolf gave me an idea by explaining the story behind his username to me. Which was really interesting to read. Now, reading other people's usernames, I can't help but wonder about their "stories".

Of course, I know that a lot of you here have Stargate-related names that don't have to be explained, but even if so, I'd be interested in why you chose them.

There's another thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ight=usernames) on people (not) having changed their usernames when the new forum was created but only a few explained the meaning of their usernames there, so I hope it's okay to open a new thread.

Mine's a very boring one and easily explained: just put "The Matrix" and X-Files together.
                        My username is Welsh. Though i'm know living across the border I lived in Wales for most of my life.

Seren= Star Llwch = Dust. I named myself after a large gorgeous Welsh Cob mare that my father used to ride. Also I thought it would be a space soundng name. :-)

MAL is my initials. I dont like using my RL name on the net. So i'm MAL. When I meet up with my net friends at conventions i'm MAL. I even ask the SG1 actors to sign atographes to MAL. Exept for my very first 3. At my first con, I asked AT, MS and Tom Machbeath to use my RL name.

Comment

Originally posted by SEREN LWCH (MAL)
                          Seren= Star Llwch = Dust. I named myself after a large gorgeous Welsh Cob mare that my father used to ride. Also I thought it would be a space soundng name. :-)

MAL is my initials. I dont like using my RL name on the net. So i'm MAL. When I meet up with my net friends at conventions i'm MAL. I even ask the SG1 actors to sign atographes to MAL. Exept for my very first 3. At my first con, I asked AT, MS and Tom Machbeath to use my RL name.
                          Interesting. And good to know, because here I've been thinking that your username in some way had a connection to Firefly. Seren being short for the ship's name Serenity and Mal obviously being the captain's name. I couldn't quite figure out where LWCH fit into it, though.

But then I have a tendency to see a connection to Firefly everywhere, because I just love that show so darn much.
                          Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

My name is based upon Pope Gregorius XIII who created our current calendar.
                            Signed,

Gregorius
                            Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                            Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

This a great thread and I am enjoying it immensely. Thanks to all for contributing their screen name story.
                              sigpic

Comment

Well my name came to me in a dream I had were I was thawed out three hundred years later and through a mis-labelling of cryonic stasis pods I was revered as some sort of prophet/leader/dude.

Rather Freudian if you ask me...
                                [email protected]
                                http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                                One nation under dog
                                There of which I stand alone
                                A face in the crowd
                                Unsung, against the mold
                                Without a doubt
                                Singled out
                                The only way I know

Comment