This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    since 'conflict' is relative, some might want tantrums, shep yelling at sam, her giving him an order that he doesn't want, him circumventing her command or disobeying her.

others may simply want something like sam and jack in Scorced Earth or Unnatural Selection, where they disagreed and there was obvious tension between them that was never more than a pointed look.

since 'enough conflict' means a different thing for everyone, tptb having 'enough' is impossible. for some the smallest amount is too much, for others, there'll never be enough.
    Again, you're going for extremes. How about somewhere in between tantrums and meaningful looks? Of course, everyone will have different opinions on how much conflict is good, but so far we haven't had any. Most people tend to agree that someone who gets along with everyone all the time is not compelling drama.

again, if you - the general you - happens to not like the character, you will judge her more harshly than one you do like. Simple fact of life.

if a viewer can't stand sam for some reason, nothing seh ever does will measure up because that person will always look for the 'bad' because that suits what they want. they don't like her so finding fault supports their dislike, so if a character they like does something and sam does the exact same thing, it'll be ok for the other character but horrible if sam does it.
    Very true. Although I did try to start out neutral, the way the character of Carter is written and acted, I just can't come to like her.

It's also true that someone who likes a specific character will come up with all kinds of excuses for that character. Nothing she does will ever be wrong. When she does something it's wonderful, and when another character does the same thing they're all wrong. It's human nature.

Comment

CE got his response, which was only fair. But we do need to get this thread back on topic please.

Discuss The Seer
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
        Uh, the first scene.

That said, I think both were a little too busy.

That said, did we really need to see a 100% cloned battle scene between two hive ships? Would have liked a more memorable battle there instead of a reused scene from The Hive.
        Probably a budget thing.
        O'NEILL: For all we know, Daniel could came walking in that door right now.
        [Cut to shot of the door]
        [Cut back to O'Neill]
        O'NEILL: Any time now.
        [Cut back to door]

Comment

just rewatched the ep. what a great episode!

why do you guys think teyla is reluctant to tell the others about being pregnant?

i wonder if davos' daughter will have some of his powers?

the actor that played davos seemed familiar. hmm...

LOVE the respect everyone showed sam! and i think woolsey is an interesting character. he's not bad, just quick to judge and quick to make decisions without all the facts. i think he'd eventually make a good leader, but only after killing a few of his ppl by making erroneous decisions. but he still tries and admits his mistakes. i think he's a bit intriguing.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm, I'd like to see some difference of opinion on the show. Could be interesting.
            Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
            Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

why do you guys think teyla is reluctant to tell the others about being pregnant?

LOVE the respect everyone showed sam! and i think woolsey is an interesting character. he's not bad, just quick to judge and quick to make decisions without all the facts. i think he'd eventually make a good leader, but only after killing a few of his ppl by making erroneous decisions. but he still tries and admits his mistakes. i think he's a bit intriguing.

sally
              I think Teyla's reluctant because she fears how everyone will react, see her somewhat different and most of all treat her differently. also she's probably afraid of being taken off Sheps team because of her pregnancy

didn't Davos' daughter deny having his abilities?
              sigpic
              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

sally
                I've thought about this myself, Sal.

Firstly, the pregnancy seems to be accidental, because Teyla seemed shocked at being pregnant in Missing - so maybe it's taken Teyla time to come to terms with?

Secondly, who knows what the customs of her people are? Maybe pregnancy outside of some sort of betrothal or bonding is frowned upon, so she's reluctant to talk to people about it, not knowing how they will react?

Thirdly, she's kept her romance secret and to have to announce you're pregnant, when you didn't expect or plan it and nobody knows you're even seeing someone is a pretty embarrassing and personal thing to have to explain to people, especially friends you are close to and haven't told them what's going on in your personal life. Teyla seems to be a private person, and to announce you're pregnant is a big thing, I think.

I also think that maybe she doesn't know how people will react, and maybe she thinks she will be removed from the team?

I actually felt myself feeling for her. I mean being pregnant is a wonderful and joyous thing, but in times of war and uncertainty and your partner is missing, gosh, she must be confused and frightened.

Davos was great, I thought. The actor who played him is a British actor I've seen quite a lot on TV when I was younger, so he was familiar to me. I also wondered about Davos' daughter gaining some powers, but, Keller said she presumed Davos was a genetic anomoly, and had been like that from birth, so I doubt that she'd have any powers of foresight, as she would have had them all her life, I'm guessing.

I love Woolsey too. RP is a really talented actor, IMO. I loved his interactions with everyone, but thought Carter handled him very well particularly. He's not a bad person, just officious and a little opinionated, but does seem to be able to admit when he's wrong, which is a redeeming quality. I'm not sure he'd ever make a good leader though, because I don't think he could make the difficult decisions without procrastinating too much! I think he's good at what he does; investigating others, rather like an auditor! He leaves no stone unturned and is relentless in his quest for the facts of a situation.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                  I want a good working relationship between the leaders of Atlantis and I want both of them to be qualified to do the jobs they are doing, personal chemistry doesn't come into it. I care more about respect and understanding than two people idly chatting about nothing. Making believable decisions about the welfare of Atlantis and the expedition is what I want to see, and felt on too many occasions that Weir was not qualified enough to making any of those decisions.
                  Agreed. Weir was making decisions that were frankly way above her pay grade. Don't get me wrong she did a good job with what she was given and kept the city intact and had to make some really tough calls, still it was tough seeing her making some of the decisons she made and while i saw her POV I completly agreed with Shepards disobediance in "Hot Zone." Carter has brought more realisim to the show.

Altantis was bascially at war and had a civilian with no military expertise in charge, to me that was totally unrealistic.
                  Agreed though I can see why it was done politically.
                  Weir and Sheppard had very different ideas on how the Wraith/Replicators should be handled and at the end of the day major decisions were left to Weir..she had the final say and look how many times things turned disasterous. I doubt very much that Weir would have stopped Sheppard from firing on the Wraith ships in the Seer like Carter did, and once again we would have had a disasterous situation. So whether Weir and Sheppard got on like a house on fire in their personal relationship does not change the fact that Weir was not qualified to be in the position she was in and Carter is .. and that is the difference. We have already seen how much a difference that can make.
                  Agreed though while some of Weir's decisions turned out bad I can't say that I or even Carter wouldn't have made the same call in that situation and I do disagree that Weir would have ordered them to fire. Still I do prefer Carter.
                  Weir never instilled me with any faith in her leadership abilities, but so far Carter has. The relationship, connection, whatever you want to call it works much better for me. They have a professional sound relationship and Atlantis as seen in the Seer has already benefited from that leadership.
                  I agree and disagree. Weir did instill faith in me from time to time episodes that really stand out are "Hide and Seek", "38 Minutes", "The Storm and The Eye", "Siege III", "Intruder", she really stood up for her team in that one, "Michael" just off the top of my head. She may have not been the best choice or my fav character but she did do a good job from time to time.

He respects her opinion because he trusts her, and has faith in her abilities and this was lacking in the Sheppard/Weir leadership.
                  Hmm I gotta disagree here. Yes he respects and trusts Carter I agree on that but he also did with Weir albeit not right away. But he did respect and trust her and stood up for her alot.

I wouldn't expect Sheppard to be resentfull at all. Carter was only taking on a job he didn't want.. why would that lead him to be resentfull?
                  Agreed why would he resent her for taking a job he never in a million years would want.

The fuzzy chain of command only led to problems IMO and made their leadership unprofessional and unbelievable.
                  Weir and Sheppard? If so agreed. The fact she was civilian did lead to a fuzzy chain of command and the fact a civilian was leading a beyond top secret mission in another galaxy in unrealisitc in it's self.

What lovefest. All I saw was respect.
                  Agreed there was no lovefest in fact several were not happy at all.

I disagree. Carter brings out the best in Sheppard for me.. I love seeing the strong commanding military officer, and it's great seeing Sheppard dealing with a co-leader who actually understands him and his military role in Atlantis.
                  Agreed. Shepard was great already but yeah she has brought out the best in him. Just no shipping she only has the heart of one man and that better be Jack.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Finally watched “The Seer”. Loved the episode. Great story and fantastic team action. Loved Sam and her interactions with Shep, her new team, Woolsey and the Wraith. I am very pleased with what SGA has done with her character so far. AT did a wonderful job portraying the commander Carter! I also liked Woolsey. I have been a fan of Robert Picardo since Star Trek Voyager. He did not disappoint as Woolsey and provided the show with nice humorous moments. Now I can’t wait to see how the writers are going to get out of the vision of the Atlantis destruction.

Comment

Originally posted by jz9 View Post
                      Finally watched “The Seer”. Loved the episode. Great story and fantastic team action. Loved Sam and her interactions with Shep, her new team, Woolsey and the Wraith. I am very pleased with what SGA has done with her character so far. AT did a wonderful job portraying the commander Carter! I also liked Woolsey. I have been a fan of Robert Picardo since Star Trek Voyager. He did not disappoint as Woolsey and provided the show with nice humorous moments. Now I can’t wait to see how the writers are going to get out of the vision of the Atlantis destruction.
                      Yeah, that's quite a bind they've put Atlantis in...

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                        I've thought about this myself, Sal.

Firstly, the pregnancy seems to be accidental, because Teyla seemed shocked at being pregnant in Missing - so maybe it's taken Teyla time to come to terms with?

Secondly, who knows what the customs of her people are? Maybe pregnancy outside of some sort of betrothal or bonding is frowned upon, so she's reluctant to talk to people about it, not knowing how they will react?
                        Well, I would have to say the pregnancy is very early on as teyla should have noticed a few *cough* clues once a month otherwise...

We know so little about Athosian customs (minus death rituals) that anything is game, although her reluctance in divulging it was on Atlantis, not to her own people (who are in some 'dark place')

Comment

I think she doesn't want to be pulled from active mission status. She would want to use every opportunity to find her people. I can't quite see Sheppard allowing her to go on dangerous missions once he finds out. And all 3 of her teammates will treat her differently (more protective I think). She's postponing the inevitable as long as possible, maybe out of a need for a small bit of normalcy.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Luciana
                          My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

I've just watched The Seer on Sky One and it was brilliant! Another winner from Season 4! Great story, great performances especially from Amanda, Joe, and Robert Picardo, and great CGI! I was very surprised to learn that Teyla is pregnant. I'm guessing that the father is that man she went to visit in last weeks episode. I can't wait to see how her storyline develops and if it affects the rest of her team. Will Atlantis be destroyed as Sam saw in her vision? Things I'm much looking forward to seeing getting answered in the episodes to come!

Definitely a significant episode in the grand scheme of things! 10 out of 10!!!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                            K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                              I've just watched The Seer on Sky One and it was brilliant! Another winner from Season 4! Great story, great performances especially from Amanda, Joe, and Robert Picardo, and great CGI! I was very surprised to learn that Teyla is pregnant. I'm guessing that the father is that man she went to visit in last weeks episode. I can't wait to see how her storyline develops and if it affects the rest of her team. Will Atlantis be destroyed as Sam saw in her vision? Things I'm much looking forward to seeing getting answered in the episodes to come!

Definitely a significant episode in the grand scheme of things! 10 out of 10!!!
                              I just watched it in HD with my parents (yep I go to their house and steal their TV to watch in HD, because I only have Sky + ), and wow, I have to say we were all really impressed. It's a great story, I think, and I enjoyed seeing it on the big screen so much.

I can't wait for the resolution of some of the storylines!

I can't believe you stayed spoiler free about Teyla! Well done! I'm impressed.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                                I just watched it in HD with my parents (yep I go to their house and steal their TV to watch in HD, because I only have Sky + ), and wow, I have to say we were all really impressed. It's a great story, I think, and I enjoyed seeing it on the big screen so much.

I can't wait for the resolution of some of the storylines!

I can't believe you stayed spoiler free about Teyla! Well done! I'm impressed.
                                Thanks.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Working...
                                X