Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What plots from sg1 do you want tobe carried on in Atlantis?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to see any SG1 stories carried over to SGA for the same reason I don't like crossover episodes. It's just too difficult to explain plots and characters to one group of viewers when another group of viewers are already completely familiar with them. The story and characters suffer while explanations get tossed around and lines like "I read in a mission report....,
    I remember when I was at SGC....." are far too common. I find it difficult to be interested in characters who I'm being told did this and that, while I would think those who already know them are bored with the rehash of events and would like to get on with the story.

Comment

I have to go into this idea with the experience of a Trek background and say that some plot elements mentioned in SG1 need to be brought to Atlantis. As much as some Atlantis fans want a completely separate show, it's never really been. It's still a spin off under the umbrella of the Stargate universe. Just as the many Trek series are under one canonical universe, the Stargate series would be considered the same.

SG1 only fans that are moving over to Atlantis for the first time to watch Sam there or just to watch something related to Stargate should not expect a bazillion references to SG1, but should see a few concepts appear.

Atlantis-only fans need to accept that there may be mention of something from SG1 because the shows are in the same universe. It's not a totally isolated show and in fact, some of the more political bits from SG1 might now be redirected to Atlantis ie funding, leadership etc.

Those of us who have watched both have seen some of the flow of ideas between both series and another. SG1 had multiple references to Atlantis in it's final years. Atlantis has had references back to SG1.

Just because SG1 is now over, it doesn't mean the the entire Stargate universe is going to dissolve around Atlantis.

Getting that out of the way, my own preference for carrying over would mostly be prop-related. I'd like to see other cultures' tech getting brought out to Atlantis. Perhaps an occasional mention of other characters. I want to still see ships visiting. I'd still like to see character crossovers if we get a season 5. I'd still like to see how Earth is communicating with Atlantis and dealing issues affecting the people living on Atlantis.

What I don't want to see is Atlantis becoming some sort of isolated colony that breaks off from Earth and tries to become an independent entity. I enjoy Stargate because of it's ties back to present time period Earth. I think it would become too much like Farscape (which I enjoyed on it's own) if the show becomes one of present day Earth people in a galaxy far away and no communication with Earth.
      sigpic
      sig by kidwizz

Comment

Originally posted by partly cloudy skies View Post
        SG1 only fans that are moving over to Atlantis for the first time to watch Sam there or just to watch something related to Stargate should not expect a bazillion references to SG1, but should see a few concepts appear.
        Ah we have a gate, we have military, we have ZedPMs, we have alien worlds... what more do you want?

Atlantis-only fans need to accept that there may be mention of something from SG1 because the shows are in the same universe. It's not a totally isolated show and in fact, some of the more political bits from SG1 might now be redirected to Atlantis ie funding, leadership etc.
        No one is seriously saying that and if they are they are seriously out of touch with the whole Stargateverse. But what many (not all) do not want to see is a baddie on SGA, that is in fact from SG-1, just so Sam can have an ep all to her self or a plot carried over where I as someone who has not seriously watched SG-1 since season 7 are left wondering what the frak is going on.

As much as I love me some Angel, I was still annoyed when Buffy did crossovers, the same with Angel and Buffy didn't have as much 'history' to cloud Angel as SG-1 has to cloud SGA.

Just because SG1 is now over, it doesn't mean the the entire Stargate universe is going to dissolve around Atlantis.
        Why not? Why shouldn't it? I know for me SG-1 is now an old concept, best left to die. I am afraid that already SGA has become SGA-1 and that really makes me sad.

What I don't want to see is Atlantis becoming some sort of isolated colony that breaks off from Earth and tries to become an independent entity. I enjoy Stargate because of it's ties back to present time period Earth. I think it would become too much like Farscape (which I enjoyed on it's own) if the show becomes one of present day Earth people in a galaxy far away and no communication with Earth.
        Well I never watched Farscape so I can't comment on that, but I have always wanted SGA to be separated from Earth, from the regs the people and yeah to be kind of a little colony out in the PG.

Comment

Originally posted by partly cloudy skies View Post
          I have to go into this idea with the experience of a Trek background and say that some plot elements mentioned in SG1 need to be brought to Atlantis. As much as some Atlantis fans want a completely separate show, it's never really been. It's still a spin off under the umbrella of the Stargate universe. Just as the many Trek series are under one canonical universe, the Stargate series would be considered the same.
          But in ST, there was hardly in every second episode character from another ST show. Sure, Worf in DS9, but it worked just because he wasn´t the main character like Picard or Riker, so he could addapt. Carter is not, she was for 10 years leading female character and I am afraid she has nothing more to offer.
          And even how is ST world tied, the shows were separated. And did you notice that last episode of Enterprise, which was kind of crossover, is ignored by fans like it wouldn´t exist?

Sure, why not. Why don´t solve the same things which wasn´t SG1 able to solve in 10 years. But they could mention things from Sam´s personal life, Cassie, e.g. Why not. But just because Carter is there, doesn´t mean there has to be some SG1 story. SGA has many its own unsolved stories.

Those of us who have watched both have seen some of the flow of ideas between both series and another. SG1 had multiple references to Atlantis in it's final years. Atlantis has had references back to SG1.
          I am afraid that there were more references in SGA than in SG1 All replicator story ark was carried over and original enemy like Wraith was pushed aside. Isn´t it enough?
          Jack was in SGA many times, Carter was in SGA twice already. And in SG1? We saw McKay once and "big crossover" Pegasus Project, wasn´t too good to Atlantis characters. Sheppard acted before Mitchell like happy puppy showing where his training place is. McKay wasn´t even old SG1 McKay and far from SGA McKay. Carter made a total idiot of him and her face which she always makes (you know the "you are an idiot" one) totally damaged this episode. I so looked forward to this episode because I hoped that characters will be equal. They weren´t. They are equal every time when SG1 character is in SGA, but not SGA character in SG1, shame.
          Why not? Atlantis should be independent show now. It always should have been. SG1 is over. Sad fact but who wouldn´t expect that after 10 years? I have to admit I really didn´t care about SG1 in last years. My last season I really enjoyed was S6 just because they made some nice changes. Now later, I was only annoyed by the same old faces, esp. Carter and Danny. Nothing personal against actors but characters, which are still the same for 10 years, have to start to be annoying eventually.

Getting that out of the way, my own preference for carrying over would mostly be prop-related. I'd like to see other cultures' tech getting brought out to Atlantis. Perhaps an occasional mention of other characters. I want to still see ships visiting. I'd still like to see character crossovers if we get a season 5. I'd still like to see how Earth is communicating with Atlantis and dealing issues affecting the people living on Atlantis.
          In this points, I mostly agree. Except some big character crossovers. I don´t want it.

I know that some (or many) people enjoy the tied SG universe. I know what you mean. I am trekkie and I love whole ST universe. But ST has few separated shows, which are set in different time periods. SG is in the same time, but very different place. Season 1 was so great because they were cut from Earth. There was such big opportunity for character development. Weir, Sheppard and others would have to deal with problems on their own, cross moral lines sometimes, deal with problem what is right and what isn´t. This everything is lost beacause now evertime comes Woosley (I like him, I really do but sometimes is overused) and starts talking into leadrship and all. Havoc in command everytime when some important colonel arrives with his ship. And other things I don´t like.
          Sure, to see Oddysey with Asgard tech could be cool. Some space battles, Earth ships, why not? But if, then with new, for SGA made characters like is Caldwell or Ellis. Not that in one ship will arrive Mitchell and in the other Teal´C.

I am sorry if I was rude and I hope I didn´t insult you. I had to react and say how I see it.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
            get married on the set of atalntis with the ocean in the background and have a wraith as the best man
            I think I'd choke if they had a s/j wedding on SGA. Sorry, but if you're going to make 'em a couple, do it on the movies and leave SGA out of it. It's just too, eh, soap operay....

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
            I have to say, this worries me a little. As a long time viewer of both shows, I'm all for SG1 viewers coming over to Atlantis. I love the show, and hey, I want other people to love it too. So, come one, come all, please!

But, I have to wonder... are some SG1 fans coming over thinking it's going to be just an extension of SG1, now that Carter's here? Because I think if they're going into it expecting that and hoping for that, they're only going to be disappointed and upset. Atlantis has its own stories, its own main characters, its own villains. Yeah, they're related, but they are two separate shows, going two different places.

To all the SG-1 fans, I'm saying, and I'm saying this sincerely, please don't set yourself up for disappointment by expecting all those loose ends from SG1 to be neatly resolved for you in Atlantis, just because Sam is there. You can't just expect to follow the story over to Atlantis and pick up where you left off, because there's already a different story going on.

I'm not just saying this because I don't want to see it. I'm saying it because I honestly don't think it's going to happen, and if SG1 viewers come in with their hearts set on seeing Sam/Jack resolved, the Ori, Merlin's weapon, all the other stuff from SG1 that they didn't get to see because it was cancelled... they're really going to be disappointed and upset. Because I will be very surprised if you see any of that stuff.

Just my thoughts.
            My hope is that any SG1 reference carryover will be very minimal.The MOVIes are designed to carry on SG1 so any resolution of Ori, S/j, whatever, should be done in them. Doing it in SGA just does a disservice to the fans who have watched SGA on its own merits (aka not waiting for a character to move over but then the producers/networks do that all the time with accursed crossovers).

Nope, leave the plots on SG1 on the movies, let SGA grow with new plots, villains, etc.

Comment

So, I guess when Teal'C (and a few of his jaffa friends) does come to Atlantis (for 1 episode), all you Atlantis purists out there are gonna be pretty pissed? eh? or.. maybe not? ^^'

Five Stages Of Grief:
              1. Denial 2. Anger. 3. Bargaining 4. Depression. 5. Acceptance.
              RIP SG1 & SGA.
              .::My Myspace | My DeviantArt Gallery::.

"If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago."

If you're in need of a sig/tag drop me a PM. I'd be more than happy to make ya one. ^^

Comment

None! God isn't it enough that an SG-1 character replaced an Atlantis one? Does it need to become an exact clone of Sg-1 or the continuation of it? Oh my god, to even create such a thread, it's too horrible for this (used to be) Atlantis fan!

That's why some of us have the feeling it was actually Atlantis that was cancelled and not Sg-1.
                Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  Where is that info coming from?
                  Also mentioned in the commentary of the episode, if I'm not mistaken.

No, please. I'm sorry you guys but, please. I'm begging. On my knees begging here. Please! If it's in the movies, fine, but...no, please, not in Atlantis. Gahhhh!
                  Second that! And I add a "pretty please with a cherry on top" too.

*contemplatively* That might actually be the final straw for me. *ponders*
                  Completely second that.

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                  get married on the set of atalntis with the ocean in the background and have a wraith as the best man
                  And after the "I do's" there will be a walking buffet for the Wraith. The walking will probably be a running one but I'm pretty sure he won't mind.

And now to answer the question:

NO SG1-stories have to continue in Atlantis, thank you very much. It's bad enough we have to suffer the presence of Carter. Add to that the Replicator rip-offs and we have enough to go for a while without adding more in the mix.

This is Atlantis. Please, let it shine on its own with SGA-stories and enemies, and good guys, bad guys and whatnot.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Mana View Post
                    So, I guess when Teal'C (and a few of his jaffa friends) does come to Atlantis (for 1 episode), all you Atlantis purists out there are gonna be pretty pissed? eh? or.. maybe not? ^^'
                    Teal'c isn't actually stepping in the city. His role will be nothing more than a cameo appearance that will probably be in the form of him saying something to Sam before she leaves for pegasus.
                    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                      Teal'c isn't actually stepping in the city. His role will be nothing more than a cameo appearance that will probably be in the form of him saying something to Sam before she leaves for pegasus.
                      Really? Well there have been hints of a Teal'c/Ronon sparring session...

Comment

I don't want to see any plots from SG1 carried over to Atlantis either. I want to learn more about the Pegasus galaxy and have the Wraith developed beyond being cannon fodder in exciting action scenes.

Having said this, I'm perfectly happy to have some crossover elements because Atlantis is in the same universe as SG1 and the Atlantis base is no longer cut off. If the Atlantis team found a ruin covered in mysterious hieroglyphics it would be logical to call Daniel in to investigate because he's the expert when it comes to things like that. On the other hand, he needn't make a personal appearance because they could send the information to him in one scene and get a translation back in another. I'd even find it a little ridiculous if the expedition didn't consult Daniel because McKay or Zelenka had suddenly became experts in Daniel's field.

The Ancients are part of Pegasus galaxy history and the city of Atlantis ended up in Earth mythology. Maybe there are references to Wraith on some old clay tablet stored in the basement of an Earth museum. I can't think of any plot relevance offhand but I wouldn't throw up my hands in horror if a detail like this did turn up in a story.

Originally posted by Mana
                        I won't mind this at all as long as there's a logical and convincing reason for them making an appearance. I'd be really annoyed if a regiment of Jaffa was permanently assigned to Atlantis just so we can be kept updated on the Jaffa political situation, though.

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                        Is it just me, or don't you wonder what happened to that entity in Hide and Seek, and what the hell was it?! Why was it captured by the Ancients if it wasnt' one of their creation.
                        I wonder about that as well. Where did it come from? Are there any more like it? Does the Pegasus galaxy contain several species of energy life forms? The Atlantis expedition needn't come across any more but how I wish Rodney would announce "Remember that energy being we found? I've just been studying the records for the experiment and (here follow a few details). Sheppard could then tell him off for wasting time on irrelevant research when he should be concentrating on (whatever) and Rodney could sulk because his genius isn't being appreciated. Sheppard and Rodney are always arguing and sniping at each other so why not use this established format as a way of throwing in some background information on things which turned up in earlier stories rather than never mentioning them again?

I'm also curious about the thousands of humans who serve and revere the Wraith. It wasn't firmly established that they were all living on one hive ship so they've been disposed off (The Hive.) I find it astonishing that the Atlantis team has never regarded this piece of information as something to be concerned about. Surely Sheppard would have asked Teyla if she'd ever heard of Wraith followers. Why hasn't he brought up the possibility of there being communities of them living on yet to be visited planets with ways of contacting hive ships? The Atlantis expedition has had the experience of a group of peaceful farmers turning out to be a cover for the Genii so you'd think they'd wonder if there are any apparently peaceful farmers who are really serving the Wraith. How can they be certain that friendly villagers on a new planet aren't trying for an alliance so they can act as spies?

Originally posted by Redhooks
                        IMHO, any time wasted on any "shippy" type episodes or even small scenes will be stupid even if it involves SGA people! This is not a soap opera, it is Sci-Fi!
                        I definitely wouldn't want Daniel and Vala making an appearance on Atlantis just to establish something like Yes, they finally get together, or Daniel is still dithering about whether he wants to have a relationship with her. When it comes to relationships between characters in a Sci-Fi show, however, I'm certainly not against them as long as they are handled properly. Star Trek managed this perfectly well and it hasn't been unique in this respect. Other soapy elements add something to the development of Sci-Fi characters too. After all, if they're meant to be humans like us they've got to behave like us and not like some alien species which never evolved our patterns of behaviour or who have genetically altered themselves to eradicate them.

In Sunday -

Spoiler:
                        We learned what some of the characters get up to when they've got time off from running around in action adventure stories. Lorne, for example, likes to paint and we heard something about his background from this scene. It's unlikely there will ever be a story where Lorne's paintings are essential to the plot but this little detail has made him more than just a military man who turns up occasionally. I'm not a fan of either Sheppard or Ronon but I still loved their scenes together - the golf, Ronon's combat sport and Sheppard coaching Ronon in the art of crushing beer cans with the forehead. In Sateda we learned that Ronon's wife had been killed during a Wraith attack. In Sunday a few lines of conversation indicated that he still hasn't got over it. Ronon is becoming more of a 'real person' to me now because of that last little detail. Until then I tended to regard him as "Hot guy with big gun - would make a good Kilingon in the Star Trek universe."

I'm old enough to remember the time when stand alone episodes were standard for shows which weren't actually soap operas. No matter how traumatic the events of one story were to a character or characters everyone had recovered in the next story and the past was never mentioned again. We accepted it then because we didn't have anything to compare it to. Now we've had Sci-Fi shows with story arcs, several plot threads running simultaneously through a number of episodes, characters having personal problems which sometimes affect their professional performances etc.etc. etc. The old format strikes many viewers these days as "How TV shows were back in the days of the dinosaurs."

Originally posted by Klenotka
                        And did you notice that last episode of Enterprise, which was kind of crossover, is ignored by fans like it wouldn´t exist?
                        I think that's due to most Star Trek fans finding it excruciatingly bad. If Riker had been shown giving a lecture on Star Fleet history in between dramatised events then fair enough as far as I'm concerned. Having the Enterprise characters making their last appearance as a holodeck programme was a ghastly idea.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          Really? Well there have been hints of a Teal'c/Ronon sparring session...
                          From the fans or from the producers?

Seriously though, if you have a reference for this, I'd be interested in seeing it (honestly, not being sarcastic). Always interested in more information. And I don't always catch all the hints that Joe puts in his blog.

EDIT: Never mind - I found it. It was in the April 23rd entry - thank you to Alipeeps and Josie for their wonderfully convenient SGA Spoilers Community.

I wonder though, if this would happen in the crossover episode, rather than in Teal'c confirmed appearance in Reunion. That particular appearance is described as a cameo role (Feb 25th entry), and I assumed it would be pretty much as Ltcolshepjumper has described.

Back on topic,

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                          I don't want to see any plots from SG1 carried over to Atlantis either. I want to learn more about the Pegasus galaxy and have the Wraith developed beyond being cannon fodder in exciting action scenes.

Having said this, I'm perfectly happy to have some crossover elements because Atlantis is in the same universe as SG1 and the Atlantis base is no longer cut off. If the Atlantis team found a ruin covered in mysterious hieroglyphics it would be logical to call Daniel in to investigate because he's the expert when it comes to things like that.
                          I think you've said it well. The problem is not so much crossovers in a blanket sense. To me it's the issue of crossover plots/storylines, such as the fate of the Jaffa Nation, the resolution of the Ori problem, and yes, the resolution of the Sam/Jack ship - sorry! Those are all SG-1 stories, and need to stay on the SG-1 side. If SG-1 elements are brought in to facilitate an Atlantis story, well, that's not so much of a problem for me personally, although I realize it might be for some. But the focus needs to be on Atlantis characters and stories, not SG-1 characters and stories in Atlantis. Atlantis is not an extended stage to continue SG-1 storylines. It's not that they can't ever interact or mention each other; they are in the same universe as several people have mentioned. But SG-1 stories need to stay in SG-1, and Atlantis needs to stay focused on Atlantis stories. So my answer to the question is, again, that I don't want to see any SG1 plots in Atlantis. SG-1 elements and characters may pop up occasionally, and that's fine, as long as they're there for the purpose of an Atlantis plot.

Hope that makes sense.
                          Last edited by Killdeer; 01 June 2007, 09:03 AM.
                          - Life after Stargate -
                          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                          sigpic

Comment

I would like to see abunch of the SG1 random aliens of the week from early on be explored in atlantis. That ties it to contunity AND tells a interesting story with new characters.

Grace
                            Foothold
                            Reetu
                            Entity
                            Those little firefly aliens
                            Furlings
                            Cold lazarus
                            Maybe even remains of the ori followers from millions of years ago.... Wouldnt they check up and see if their plague worked? I mean they chased the alterans across the universe then suddenly stopped after plaguing the MW? Theres more to explore there.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                              I would like to see abunch of the SG1 random aliens of the week from early on be explored in atlantis. That ties it to contunity AND tells a interesting story with new characters.

Grace
                              Foothold
                              Reetu
                              Entity
                              Those little firefly aliens
                              Furlings
                              Cold lazarus
                              Maybe even remains of the ori followers from millions of years ago.... Wouldnt they check up and see if their plague worked? I mean they chased the alterans across the universe then suddenly stopped after plaguing the MW? Theres more to explore there.
                              That is all SG-1 not SGA. It has no place in SGA. They should have taken care of those issues before cancelling SG-1. Once a series is cancelled it should be put in another series (even if the series involved are of similar universes).
                              "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                              'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                              Individuality is freedom lived.
                              'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                                Why would all these aliens start turning up in the Pegasus galaxy? The Ori, for example, had access to the all the knowledge of the universe when they ascended. Surely they'd know the plague worked without having to send anyone to check.

Originally posted by Atlantis1
                                That is all SG-1 not SGA. It has no place in SGA. They should have taken care of those issues before cancelling SG-1. Once a series is cancelled it should be put in another series (even if the series involved are of similar universes).
                                I agree. There's enough going on in the Pegasus galaxy to base Atlantis stories on without it becoming a tourist attraction for random aliens who appeared in SG1.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X